Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ommin posted:

This is really interesting. How does this work for foreigners and their children? And considering the tone of the previous posts, is it difficult for foreign families to assimilate?

My father has US citizenship but my mother is Icelandic. They kind of got around giving me a US-friendly name by giving me 2 first names and only registering the Icelandic one, so my full name on my passport is [US friendly 1st name] [Icelandic legal name] [Patronym] [Surname] while my birth certificate only has [Icelandic legal name] [Patronym]. This is something that you could get away with in the 1980s, not sure about these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

In 1782 jews in Austria were forced to get surnames in order to be tolerated (the law was literally called the Edict of Tolerance). Which is why many jews today have german names.

There's also a norwegian name law. It has been relaxed a bit in recent years but it's still not allowed to call your kid Gaylord Hitler. A fun little quirk with the law is that if fewer than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission if you want to use it.

The protected surname cutoff in Denmark is 2000 persons, but I don't see anything in the current law about being able to ask for permission. You definitely used to be able to do that though (however impractical it could be).

We also have a list of approved given names, but it's possible to get permission for an unlisted name as long as it is appropriate, etc. I remember reading that the name Anus (male) was rejected. You can't be named something that's appropriate for the opposite sex (unless it's a unisex name), however, "persons who are transexual or plainly equivalent" (this includes nb, etc) are excepted from that rule. I guess this is to avoid parents naming a female child John at birth. If the child grows up and takes the name, that's afaik fine.

Approved name lists are here:
https://familieretshuset.dk/navne/navne/navnelister

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Finnish name law is also fairly strict (translation mine from KOTUS):

quote:

The name law

protects surnames already in use

aims to separate first names from surnames

aims to separate female and male names

aims to direct parents to choose proper and fitting first names with the best interest of the child in mind [basically this means that the name can be something novel, but must follow some social or religious precedent, has to sound Finnish if the parents are Finnish, and has to be something a child can be expected to be able to live with]

demands that a new surname follows Finnish naming practice in form and ortography

places both members of a married couple in equal standing when choosing a surname

demands that siblings are given the same surname

demands, that a child receives their surname according to the same principles, whether born in or outside legal marriage

So yeah, no Gaylord Hitler Napoleons here either.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

what do people have against gaylords

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ChubbyChecker posted:

Sounds like you've never suffered under gayserfdom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChubbyChecker posted:

They’re fragile and a pain to move around the shop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was a thing recently where a British-Icelandic couple had their kids’ passports suddenly revoked after previously being allowed to use illegal names: Duncan and Harriet. The law not only blocks Gaylord Weed Hitler, but most common names outside Iceland.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Probably the name Gaylord could actually be approved in Denmark, since it is a real name, but I don't know if it already is (the website is having problems). At present, nobody has the name, though.

Bitsch as a middle or surname isn't uncommon.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
In an apartment building where I lived in Germany the nameplate on one of the apartments identified the residents as "Bitsch & Pfister".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

The protected surname cutoff in Denmark is 2000 persons, but I don't see anything in the current law about being able to ask for permission. You definitely used to be able to do that though (however impractical it could be).
My mother had to do that because she wanted to use a surname that had fallen out of use in my family and had become a protected surname.

quote:

I remember reading that the name Anus (male) was rejected.

My mother almost named me Ananias. Talk about dogding a loving bullet.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

My mother had to do that because she wanted to use a surname that had fallen out of use in my family and had become a protected surname.

My dad wanted to name me Sputnik Gagarin Lastname. Thank Satan my mom and the norwegian government were not onboard.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Biplane posted:

My dad wanted to name me Sputnik Gagarin Lastname. Thank Satan my mom and the norwegian government were not onboard.

ok challenger

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To be fair, Lastname is a pretty stupid name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Biplane posted:

that name rules. probably not as a kid tho.

Alhazred posted:

that sucks. i think you get an exception from the protected surname rule if its been in use anywhere back to your great-great-grandparents

Alhazred posted:

Ananas går bananas!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

Ananas går bananas!

That was pretty much my aunt and my dad's arguments against the name and thankfully they prevailed.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Biplane posted:

But think of the life you could have led with a name like that! Namely, being a science fiction future detective in a children's book series

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

That was pretty much my aunt and my dad's arguments against the name and thankfully they prevailed.

If you go by the old naming-after-relatives traditions, my mom should've been named Apollonia. Problem is, in Danish that is rendered as Abelone = Monkey-Lone (where Lone is a normal name). My grandma managed to find another appropriate female relative with less awful name to name mom after. She only revealed why she nixed it decades later (after Abelone was long gone), lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

But think of the life you could have led with a name like that! Namely, being a science fiction future detective in a children's book series

Very true, if I managed to survive the inevitable childhood bullying I would have been invincible

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was supposed to be Dušan (translates to... uh, Soulful? Soul Man?) but my dad changed his mind on the way to the registrar. My mom was beyond pissed.

However! Bullet dodged 15 years later when we moved to the US, as that would have been pronounced "Douche-Ann" which... yeah.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Great-grandfather immigrated from Greece in 1916. He took the name "John William". Since then, my dad was named William John and my older brother is named John William. I broke that stupid streak by being the second child and by virtue of the fact that my brother is unlikely to ever reproduce. I did not name my son after my chud father.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's weird, my family did that with Charles William and William Charles, which I also broke the streak of by being neither.

I didn't know that was a thing other people did!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

D34THROW posted:

Great-grandfather immigrated from Greece in 1916. He took the name "John William". Since then, my dad was named William John and my older brother is named John William. I broke that stupid streak by being the second child and by virtue of the fact that my brother is unlikely to ever reproduce. I did not name my son after my chud father.
okay William William

or maybe John John

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

That's weird, my family did that with Charles William and William Charles, which I also broke the streak of by being neither.

I didn't know that was a thing other people did!

It used to be pretty much mandatory in Denmark (my great-3 grandfather had the exact 100% same name as his brother, because they were each named for a different grandfather), but kinda died out in the decades around 1900 (lots of people moving around, starting fresh, etc), but it's coming back in a minor way with people looking to their great-grandparents' generation for names.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Trabant posted:

I was supposed to be Dušan (translates to... uh, Soulful? Soul Man?) but my dad changed his mind on the way to the registrar. My mom was beyond pissed.

However! Bullet dodged 15 years later when we moved to the US, as that would have been pronounced "Douche-Ann" which... yeah.

Definitely bully dodged as I grew up with a Dusko (pronounced douche-ko) and that poor kid was teased mercilessly (as kids do) once kids got old enough and learned what douche and douching (?) is

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
When my great great grandfather came over to America, he didn’t know English very well. Being a Jew, he didn’t really understand when the ship’s registrar asked what his last name was. He didn’t have one. Apparently the question ‘how does a stranger know you’ was a little confusing, so he said ‘Everyone knows I’m Leah’s son’. So our last name translates to Leah’s son. Could be worse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Domus posted:

When my great great grandfather came over to America, he didn’t know English very well. Being a Jew, he didn’t really understand when the ship’s registrar asked what his last name was. He didn’t have one. Apparently the question ‘how does a stranger know you’ was a little confusing, so he said ‘Everyone knows I’m Leah’s son’. So our last name translates to Leah’s son. Could be worse.

Most last names are more or less random. One of my ancestors for example was a miller so he picked "The Grinder" as his last name.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always liked how, if a surname was descriptive for the first person in your family to receive it, (e.g. Miller, Carpenter, Smith), how many of them are straight up insults. Even more than I realized if this article is accurate.

quote:

Blackinthemouth, Wiselheade (Weaselhead), Broadgirdel, Giddyhead, Druncard (Drunkard), Sot, Badneighbor, Bastard, Devil, Hellicate (Hellcat), Gabbers, Piggesflesh and Hoggesflesh are among these surnames, some of which are prefaced with the Norman le (meaning “the). The meanings of other surnames are not as easily apparent, such as Gadling or Gedling (a gossiper), Bugg (uncouth or weird), le Burgulian (the braggart), le Crump (a crooked back), Haine (wretched), Turk (rowdy), Clapp (obese) and Luske (slothful). Two Irish examples are Crotty (hunchback) and Fogarty (an outlaw or someone who has been banished).

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Imagined posted:

I've always liked how, if a surname was descriptive for the first person in your family to receive it, (e.g. Miller, Carpenter, Smith), how many of them are straight up insults. Even more than I realized if this article is accurate.

My favorites were Blakeballocks and Gildenballocks. Nicknames were not always flattering, it's just how most people knew you. Cruikshanks means crooked legs, and that one's still around!

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

Finnish name law is also fairly strict (translation mine from KOTUS):

So yeah, no Gaylord Hitler Napoleons here either.

Napoleon is allowed. At least as a first name. There's a RUK valedictorian with that name.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bonster posted:

My favorites were Blakeballocks and Gildenballocks. Nicknames were not always flattering, it's just how most people knew you. Cruikshanks means crooked legs, and that one's still around!

:crossarms: Didn't Rowling describe Hermione's cat Crookshanks as bowlegged?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean, almost every name in Harry Potter is extremely deterministic and on-the-nose, almost like it was written by someone who believes what traits you were assigned at birth defines your life forever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Brb renaming my cat Gildenballocks

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
The fun part with Blakeballocks is that Blake could mean either white or black. So you could be black balls or white balls. Not sure which is better.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Bonster posted:

The fun part with Blakeballocks is that Blake could mean either white or black. So you could be black balls or white balls. Not sure which is better.

One of each!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

like a domino. dominads.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Imagined posted:

I mean, almost every name in Harry Potter is extremely deterministic and on-the-nose, almost like it was written by someone who believes what traits you were assigned at birth defines your life forever.

Shaun's big Harry Potter Video points out Rowling more or less did word association to name her characters.

And then pointed out that has...unfortunate implications for how she came up with 'Cho Chang'.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
My dad wanted to name both my sister and I with [Scandinavian first name] [Easy to pronounce on English first name] and then Lastname, so yes, not middle names, outright two non-barreled first names.

He didn't do well, he managed to give me a Latin name and Greek name and my sister an Irish name and German name.

He didn't bother to do any form of research and both my sister and I have stopped using the "Scandinavian" first name, mainly because we were both bullied with them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Iceland had gone the profession surname route at very least 80% of people would be called Bóndi (farmer).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

IMO you should not name kids after figures from religion known for being wicked, whether or not their name happens to sound like butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hajotus Maximus posted:

Napoleon is allowed. At least as a first name. There's a RUK valedictorian with that name.

my grandpa had a brother named Napoleon