Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

An Irish Divorce sounds like a euphemism for something, answers on a postcard.

Is it like irish twins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

A quadruple whiskey I suppose.

Sounds like it should have been a Steely Dan song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

Okay so funny story. My wife's father was married to a woman. Sadly didn't work out.
He meets my wife's mother who they decide they want to get married. Obviously they can't as Ireland has no divorce.
So he (an airline pilot) flies to Haiti to get a divorce as they had fairly Liberal divorce laws. As in they let him get a divorce for his Irish marriage there. (And I don't think his wife was present or even aware of the divorce at the time.)

But it was a legal divorce that was recognised by America at least as a family friend who was a Judge in the Bronx* was willing to marry my father-in-law and my mother-in-law.
Now he didn't get a divorce from the first wife until well in the 2000's. Was he a bigamyst? That's not really for me to say.

*= And apparently this was the Bronx back in the dangerous day that all those weirdos who want New York to go back to.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

An Irish Divorce sounds like a euphemism for something, answers on a postcard.

The cousin of the shotgun wedding?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Brendan Rodgers posted:

happyhippy posted:

My primary school had the headmaster fired because he was skimming money from the funds, some of it from the food budget. His wife was the head cook, and yeah the food did get really bad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

The first season takes places in 94 so you know four years before the Omagh bombing if youre getting that pedantic. It's obvious it's meant to be "something like Omagh" that's fictionalized to generally jive with the way the troubles had dipped to become pretty low level in the late 90s with the occasional 'outrage'.
Makes me wonder how much it's for people from Narn Irn and how much it's for mainlanders. I've heard in-laws from Antrim say there are minutiae of NI life that only someone who grew up there would know, but I think there's also lot of stuff to shock mainlanders about 'this is what it was like.'

The bit that is most like this is when the bus gets stopped by the soldiers in one of the episodes. Like to me it was clearly a 'whoah' moment but the kids don't seem to give a poo poo, it's absolutely normal to them. IIRC James is the only one freaking out.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
An Irish divorce is the wife serving her husband heart attack food so he dies quicker, surely.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Twitter keeps showing me pics of Charles' fingers. Man's organs are not working right

https://twitter.com/leahgaraas/status/1524605766673461248?t=VTxDl4vrPXTIrg4Iu5cASQ&s=19

Goatses really let himself go

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

im bad at composting apparently, opened up one of our bins today and saw these creepy pale guys growing there:

any gardengoons know what these are? i guess its because im very lazy and don't stir enough

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The bit that is most like this is when the bus gets stopped by the soldiers in one of the episodes. Like to me it was clearly a 'whoah' moment but the kids don't seem to give a poo poo, it's absolutely normal to them. IIRC James is the only one freaking out.

Random check points were the norm, it was an unlucky day if they selected to do a full search of your car.
If you were lucky they may put back the seats and what not back after. Otherwise just drive off or watch you do it yourself while they flag down the next car.
I live in the rear end end of nowhere, been in no troubles, no relatives in them thankfully, but still got a few army rifles pointed in my face over the years.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

im bad at composting apparently, opened up one of our bins today and saw these creepy pale guys growing there:

any gardengoons know what these are? i guess its because im very lazy and don't stir enough

They look a bit like potato sprouts to me.
Have you put potato skins, bits of potato in there? They sprout out of the potato eyes.

Do NOT eat sprouting potatoes. Source: Me grateful for loo and sink being very close together in my flat in London.
I was VERY poorly and if I had been a small person I may well not be here to this day. And do not say Hurrah else I will find you etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah those are from spuds I think.

Today's "they did surgery on a grape" is apparently "post boxes have a hidden bottom"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not yet but I've got somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months left in me before I have a major meltdown and quit my job -

Well if you end up burning your place down remember that they typically don't ask about criminal records when joining the rails.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Today's "they did surgery on a grape" is apparently "post boxes have a hidden bottom"

To prevent ram raiding them open I assume.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouting postboxes, very dangerous do not consume

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

I did wonder why I'd never seen one of them pulled over by a group of lads, and assumed deep steel rods of some sort.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

To prevent stealing them, but close enough.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's just the subterranean levels of danger mouse's secret base.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

deep steel rods

A sound assumption

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I did wonder why I'd never seen one of them pulled over by a group of lads, and assumed deep steel rods of some sort.

But enough about Ms Adequate's weekend plans.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess it also partially explains why the Irish government weren't arsed removing the Britboxes and just painted them green instead

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1524632370049175554?t=reEHUIIpkXF-Ugx8xs8tlw&s=19

Ignore the first two rage inducing suggestions, the thread ends in an interesting place.

nice

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

How else would they survive the 'ra?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sinky posted:

How else would they survive the 'ra?

Failed Imagineer posted:

just paint... them green

Survival camouflage

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ignore the first two rage inducing suggestions, the thread ends in an interesting place.

nice

I was saying this the other day. He was very much shuffled out of the way of brexit to make a triumphant entry once Keir has set the whole party alight. I don't know too much, but what I've seen on TV has been OK, but my friends who live in manchester aren't convinced for some reason.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
He's just another empty suit blairite

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Barry Foster posted:

He needs to be selected for and win a by-election before he is even eligible. And he has lost twice already. Can't see it personally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

I don't know about that. I think Burnham is enough of a pragmatist to go for a few policies that appeal to the base, at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There is an old victorian urinal in the park at great ayton and it always makes me laugh when I go past because it looks like an extremely fat postbox, which makes me wonder how many people pissed in the postboxes when those were introduced.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder why the Liz one is smaller than the George ones.

Better quality steel or fabrication?
Material shortage/price increases post WWII?
Original was massively overdesigned in old British fashion?
Queens have to be smaller than kings, say 50s engineers?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that. I think Burnham is enough of a pragmatist to go for a few policies that appeal to the base, at least.

I asked about Burnham ITT back when he was doing his whole 'king of the north' thing and shouting at the government about the COVID response and restrictions because I only remember his as an empty-suit technocrat from the back end of the Blair era...but he seemed to be saying (and trying to do) a lot of fairly decent things.

The consensus of the responses was that he's probably much closer to how Starmer portrayed himself - soft left, but with at least something to back up the second word of that, and either pragmatic or unprincipled enough to have at least some good policies to try and woo the voters further out to the left. But the consensus was equally strong that he shouldn't be trusted and needs to actually demonstrate that he either has some lefty principles or is willing to play to those who do.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It's always surprised me how loving about with postboxes doesn't seem to be a thing in the UK, as most things you leave unsecured outside tend to end up becoming someone's "fair game" in one way or another. A direct open slot with a bunch of stranger's personal and possibly valuable things inside just seems like a perfect target to have matches thrown in, beer poured into it, etc, but I've never heard of it happening.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of a comic I read as a kid where post boxes turned out to be Dalek-like robots controlled by aliens, and roamed the streets zapping things.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's always surprised me how loving about with postboxes doesn't seem to be a thing in the UK, as most things you leave unsecured outside tend to end up becoming someone's "fair game" in one way or another. A direct open slot with a bunch of stranger's personal and possibly valuable things inside just seems like a perfect target to have matches thrown in, beer poured into it, etc, but I've never heard of it happening.

Interfering with the mail is very illegal in ways that other random stuff in the street isn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they have to dig up all the postboxes when the monarch carks it and put new ones in?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

Do they have to dig up all the postboxes when the monarch carks it and put new ones in?

No that's why you still see ones from other eras

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

No that's why you still see ones from other eras

I ask because I genuinely do not recall ever seeing one without ER on it other than in that picture. Not that I spend a lot of time looking, but it's not something I can say I've noticed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sinky posted:

Interfering with the mail is very illegal in ways that other random stuff in the street isn't.

theycan'tdothatit'sillegal.jpeg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

I ask because I genuinely do not recall ever seeing one without ER on it other than in that picture. Not that I spend a lot of time looking, but it's not something I can say I've noticed.

Well yeah but apparently you never travel outside of a 5 mile radius of your house so I imagine there's all kinds of stuff you've never seen.

Unless my mental goon spreadsheet is misfiring and that's another poster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More like 40 miles but yes. We do have things that were built before the war, however. We didn't have a lot of things but I am fairly sure that you could send and receive letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The oldest I've seen recently is an Edward VII box in the side of a corner shop, but yeah there's plenty of random George ones around.