Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

PittTheElder posted:

I like it when I go to the States and servers think my Canadian driver's license is fake because they apparently have no conception of geography beyond America

they think you're my fake girlfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I like it when I go to the States and servers think my Canadian driver's license is fake because they apparently have no conception of geography beyond America
There have been cases where places refused to accept Washington D.C. drivers licenses because they didn't know people live in DC

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1524093341494747136?s=20&t=tgaE1PH4xpwUfJoD4yHibw

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I'm guessing the car is inoperable if the dashboard mediatainment screen dies?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn’t even know touch screens could overheat.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

lol I'm guessing the car is inoperable if the dashboard mediatainment screen dies?

isn't the touchscreen where the speedometer is? If so, I hope that the car is inoperable if that screen dies

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Clark Nova posted:

Car manufacturers who aren't named Tesla try to separate those things for obvious reasons

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Touch screens, or really screens period, don't belong in cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Touch screens in cars may be the tech evolution that finally turns me into an obstinate old person.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Denso sells entertainment systems that control the entire car. My Subaru has one

They die gracefully and permit vital functions like the backup camera to continue to work in a failure situation

I suspect that whatever trash tesla sourced doesn't work as good as the Denso systems

Apr 7, 2003

If you play enough japanese video games on PCs you'll see people bitch about how japanese programmers just don't know how to do computers right

The Denso cockpit control poo poo I've seen says otherwise, I've never seen a vital car system fail. Sometimes it may take six seconds for my XM stereo to start. That's fine.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Touch screens in cars may be the tech evolution that finally turns me into an obstinate old person.

same. i rented a peugeot where you had to go through the touchscreen to turn the heater fan down a bit and it was so slow and awkward, and required my complete attention, that I couldn't believe it made it through the cars development. and this to replace a control that was intuitive, fast and able to be used blind in almost all older cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Denso sells entertainment systems that control the entire car. My Subaru has one

They die gracefully and permit vital functions like the backup camera to continue to work in a failure situation

I suspect that whatever trash tesla sourced doesn't work as good as the Denso systems

tesla already had a load of touchscreens fail because they were writing gigabytes of data to the computer's flash memory every time you so much as honked the horn and it exceeded the number of write cycles the cheap rear end flash memory could handle

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

same. i rented a peugeot where you had to go through the touchscreen to turn the heater fan down a bit and it was so slow and awkward, and required my complete attention, that I couldn't believe it made it through the cars development. and this to replace a control that was intuitive, fast and able to be used blind in almost all older cars.

Saab had the right idea, if you can't tell what the control does while wearing gloves and watching the road the control is poorly designed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I ever buy another car (and I'm sure I'll have to because this is America), I want an EV because I'm not a monster. But I don't know if they're going to make new cars without touchscreens after a certain point. So I can't necessarily buy an old car, but I don't want a new one either.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the touchscreen makes it easy to lock features behind monthly subscriptions, so count on more and more poo poo getting moved to the touch-only center console

Apr 7, 2003

EVs aren't a solution. The planet cannot continue to withstand the resource extraction and destruction associated with building 76 million automobiles a year regardless of what powers them.

The only solution is to return to pre-1940s patterns of living and building out our habitats but no one wants to say it because it's political suicide - despite the fact that people prefer those environments when they're let loose in them in a politically-neutral fashion.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah EV's are heavier so they make every single problem with cars except localized smog emissions worse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

EVs aren't a solution. The planet cannot continue to withstand the resource extraction and destruction associated with building 76 million automobiles a year regardless of what powers them.

The only solution is to return to pre-1940s patterns of living and building out our habitats but no one wants to say it because it's political suicide - despite the fact that people prefer those environments when they're let loose in them in a politically-neutral fashion.

yeah someone has to be the person to lead the charge on "we shouldn't have thrown out thousands of years of community design based on the invention of the automobile" but they'd be putting themselves in the crosshairs of not only every car and oil company, but every company that has invested in car-brained design. e.g. every Pharmacy like Walgreens or Rite-Aid has invested in real estate that caters to car drivers, with drive-thrus and parking lots on all sides. Undoing that means money, which means they're going to fight those changes tooth and nail even if it costs more to lobby against it than it does to change it.

Apr 7, 2003

The city I live in had a clean electric fleet of over 650 trams in 1962

they were all thrown away and the tracks were all dismantled. Many of the trams in question (PCC cars) were sold to systems in other countries and still operate

The measures we need to take were SOP not that long ago but it is political suicide to suggest we go back to them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The city I live in had a clean electric fleet of over 650 trams in 1962

they were all thrown away and the tracks were all dismantled. Many of the trams in question (PCC cars) were sold to systems in other countries and still operate

The measures we need to take were SOP not that long ago but it is political suicide to suggest we go back to them

yeah lol

Apr 7, 2003

This was about 3,000 feet from where my house stands now. All the trolley infrastructure and the parking lanes were torn out and now this is a five lane stroad where people crash their cars four or five times a week because people are hitting 60mph between traffic lights.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

This part is the kicker, straight up brainwashed lmao

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

we had electric trams, we had electric trolleybuses

they all had to go and be replaced with this sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclgBMeGYw8&t=9s

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Horace posted:

"Gorgeous! Nine hundred horsepower's worth of Workington's finest, and the smell of damp diesel smoke!
Love it!"

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

*a tear rolls down my cheek and I get choked up, it is because of the majestic sight of 900 horsepower of Workington's finest, and not because I have just inhaled almost a kilogram of nitrogen oxides*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/LUrbaniste/status/1524485156215705600

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

I 100% sincerely believe that speaking English natively causes irreparable brain damage

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I 100% sincerely believe that speaking English natively causes irreparable brain damage

The Germanic Mind Virus

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

literally a picture of a suburb in slovakia

europeans shut the gently caress up challenge continues to not be met

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

yes.
linguistics does quite literally structure the brain and sensory inputs, and the study of neuroscience-language is really interesting. particularly mono language especially English makes you dumb as hell

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1524697629174767616?s=20&t=czZG915S4Tkry4GBnLVobg

I think she's right.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is the Reddit post in question: https://www.reddit.com/r/urbanplanning/comments/umv2ib/i_just_watched_this_video_from_not_just_bikes_on/

Account seems legit at a quick glance.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Even if it's fake, who cares? If you agree with a sentiment that will massively improve the lives of lots of people with zero downside since drivers being miserable or not has nothing to do with the outside world, boost it, don't be some Nate Silver rear end nerd

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I ever buy another car (and I'm sure I'll have to because this is America), I want an EV because I'm not a monster. But I don't know if they're going to make new cars without touchscreens after a certain point. So I can't necessarily buy an old car, but I don't want a new one either.

nah skip the EV imo. If you have to have a car, get a used small lightweight diesel or gas car. Dont buy new. Also EVs suck, since other than local smog emissions, which can be mitigated by not driving, they are worse in every-way.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Even if it's fake, who cares? If you agree with a sentiment that will massively improve the lives of lots of people with zero downside since drivers being miserable or not has nothing to do with the outside world, boost it, don't be some Nate Silver rear end nerd

I think boosting STDH posts (or ones that look like it) hurt more than help, frankly.

When people think you're ridiculous or gullible they stop listening to you regardless of how pure your cause is.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

nah skip the EV imo. If you have to have a car, get a used small lightweight diesel or gas car. Dont buy new. Also EVs suck, since other than local smog emissions, which can be mitigated by not driving, they are worse in every-way.

Can you not also mitigate the problems with EVs by not driving?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theres a lot of annoying areas filled with cars even in the middle of the most beautiful european cities and plazas. and its not designed for it so everyone just sort of walks around cars or has to cross wide open expanses

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Weembles posted:

I think boosting STDH posts (or ones that look like it) hurt more than help, frankly.

When people think you're ridiculous or gullible they stop listening to you regardless of how pure your cause is.

Counterpoint: it's Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can you not also mitigate the problems with EVs by not driving?
If you virtually never drive, the emissions from gas will be negligible compared to the emissions from producing a whole new car, so there's no point in running out and buying a shiny new EV rather than just driving some junky old used car.