Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CPL593H posted:

:stare:

This reminded me of the scene in Super where Rainn Wilson's character gets raped by Elliot Page's (then presenting as a woman) character and it's played for laughs.

:can: here, but Super is a maelstrom of horribly hosed up people doing terrible things to each other, the laughs this scene is played for are a bit different from the laughs I expect the Rape Comedy makers want to elicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

:stare:

This reminded me of the scene in Super where Rainn Wilson's character gets raped by Elliot Page's (then presenting as a woman) character and it's played for laughs.

It is and it isn’t. At first it’s funny because she’s trying really hard, but then it goes dark and the aftermath is him vomiting his wife’s image. It’s not supposed to be a good moment.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's so beautiful. And didn't deserve to be buried on the last page.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It’s crazy how long Andy Dick has been a menace to Hollywood. Like, not the industry, the city itself.

I remembered a story from reddit about him showing up to someone’s house uninvited and drunk and then proceeded to do drugs and steal stuff and molest people. So I googled for it and jesus, there are like a dozen stories of him doing that. And there are dozens more stories of him in bars or on the street.

It seems like everyone who has been out late in Hollywood has a story of running into him being wildly inappropriate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ror posted:

It’s crazy how long Andy Dick has been a menace to Hollywood. Like, not the industry, the city itself.

I remembered a story from reddit about him showing up to someone’s house uninvited and drunk and then proceeded to do drugs and steal stuff and molest people. So I googled for it and jesus, there are like a dozen stories of him doing that. And there are dozens more stories of him in bars or on the street.

It seems like everyone who has been out late in Hollywood has a story of running into him being wildly inappropriate.

Andy Dick took Phil Hartman from us and sonehow that is among the least of his crimes

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There was a story in Kathy Griffin's book about how she did a show at a college with Andy Dick and he got this huge dude to walk onstage and start raping him while he screamed at the audience for not doing anything to stop it.

edit: i found the excerpt in bits & pieces on google books and uploaded it to imgur you're welcome. there was a page missing, but apparently andy dick started doing standup and then left the stage, and this plant in the audience volunteered to sing, at which point andy dick came back onstage in drag, showed everyone his dick, and got humped.

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 12, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's seriously a wonder he hasn't turned up dead in an alley. Either a testament or indictment to the patience of mankind.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

It's seriously a wonder he hasn't turned up dead in an alley. Either a testament or indictment to the patience of mankind.

I mostly just see it as a confusing testament to the chaotic unfairness of reality. So many people good people have had terrible things happen to them for no reason all while Andy Dick was allowed to wander the freely wander the earth being being a complete rear end in a top hat and unrepentantly committing sexual assaults.

He's one of the many things that disprove the just-world hypothesis, which also goes for a lot of bad people posted about in this thread who are inexcusably allowed to keep doing bad things over and over and over again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I've never understood why people court his attention like they are going to get to ride the magical schoolbus and get a True Hollywood Story™ out of it. Personally witnessed this with a friend on his birthday whose cousin and his gf just opted to hang with him at the bar we were at instead of coming with us to location 2. Granted he wasn't going around molesting everyone. Not at the time anyway

the comedy community kept giving him 2nd, 3rd, 10th, 20th chances too. A lot of it was just before #metoo but still

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He gets his face beat pretty often, but fame insulates him pretty well. He's also been a junkie for a long, long time and I suppose that garners a level of self-preservation skill.

He's pretty clearly mentally sick, and should probably have been committed or treated at some point in the 1990s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

speaking for myself and people i know, mental issues can only be an explanation, never an excuse

also im drunk as gently caress

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

firm agree, no excuse for anything he’s done on or offscreen

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Depp's career will be fine, or at the very least, he'll find work, since he seems to have become the patron Saint of people with Harley Quinn and Joker tattoos.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Das Boo posted:

real pieces of poo poo people never die

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Disco Pope posted:

Depp's career will be fine, or at the very least, he'll find work, since he seems to have become the patron Saint of people with Harley Quinn and Joker tattoos.

This whole thing has been pretty weird because I can't remember the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Johnny Depp in the last 20 years. But now everyone is crawling out of the woodwork to say how great he is and what a raw deal he's getting.

Shageletic posted:

real pieces of poo poo people never die

Something something Dick Cheney something something Henry Kissinger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

This whole thing has been pretty weird because I can't remember the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Johnny Depp in the last 20 years. But now everyone is crawling out of the woodwork to say how great he is and what a raw deal he's getting.

Depp at this point basically has about the right mix of nostalgia, horny, and inertia on his side, unfortunately.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

The people with Harley Quinn and Joker tattoos is not the ones making movies. And Depp has burned every bridge to movie industry by being barely able to recite his lines and failing to draw an audience.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't really think the point of what Depp is doing is to get back into the movie industry. He's just making up a reason why Heard should pay him money :shrug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This is from a couple days ago but i didnt see it mentioned, Emile Hirsch is trying to make his comeback with a movie where he's a 'canceled' comedian run out of the business and mentoring a new generation of 'woke' comedians.
https://deadline.com/2022/05/emile-hirsch-to-star-in-cancel-culture-drama-my-times-up-from-michael-macrae-1235021389/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The people with Harley Quinn and Joker tattoos is not the ones making movies. And Depp has burned every bridge to movie industry by being barely able to recite his lines and failing to draw an audience.

Movies are mostly made by appealing to foreign money havers who know only a handful of American actors. That's what producing is, lol, going abroad to get that sweet currency. Depp's going to be in something

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CPL593H posted:

They don't care about Johnny Depp, they care because it let them perpetrate the "LOOK FAKE ACCUSATIONS ALL WOMEN ARE LYING WHORES" myth.

EDIT: The media narrative is saying that regardless of the truth, not making any claims myself..

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is from a couple days ago but i didnt see it mentioned, Emile Hirsch is trying to make his comeback with a movie where he's a 'canceled' comedian run out of the business and mentoring a new generation of 'woke' comedians.
https://deadline.com/2022/05/emile-hirsch-to-star-in-cancel-culture-drama-my-times-up-from-michael-macrae-1235021389/

Depends how this is done, and what the tone is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Has anyone ever done a "comeback" and not been an abject piece of poo poo? I'm going to play the odds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like it’s too early to tell for most, but I guess you could say James Gunn because he got screwed over. But he was “cancelled”. And he basically apologized and left social media until he got some jobs again.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Midjack posted:

Has anyone ever done a "comeback" and not been an abject piece of poo poo? I'm going to play the odds.
Sort of a stretch but maybe Mike Tyson? Or has he turned out to still be terrible

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

I assume based on them casting a dude who choked a women in the lead that it’s not going to be done very well

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Midjack posted:

The Emile Hirsch incident always struck me as possibly someone with substance abuse having a psychological break rather than an abuser. He didn't even know the person, and from I gather it was a one off occurrence , no one else has come forward and described him as violent, just someone with huge substance abuse issues.

So I'd be open to him returning to work with the pretence he shows remorse for his actions and stays sober. The movie choice however definitely doesn't make him look good.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 14, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Midjack posted:

Robert Downey Jr? He was down and out because of his substance abuse issues but to my knowledge seems to have grown up a bunch.

Watch it turn out he has a stable of nazi catboys now that I've said this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Robert Downey Jr? He was down and out because of his substance abuse issues but to my knowledge seems to have grown up a bunch.

Watch it turn out he has a stable of nazi catboys now that I've said this.

I am fairly sure Robert Downey Jr having a stable of nazi catboys would just make him more popular.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The word "drama" is what makes me think this is going to suck. This kind of subject matter might work as a dark comedy, but a drama? I dunno about that. I've been wrong about stuff like this before though so who knows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Martman posted:

Sort of a stretch but maybe Mike Tyson? Or has he turned out to still be terrible

He’s a very interesting answer. Because unlike most “canceled” celebs, he actually served time. He was punished. You can have opinions on if it was enough, but society actually got their pound of flesh, and he took that punishment. They never happens. It’s why I think he’s kind of been let back in. Even if what he originally did is still horrifying.

The only thing I can think of he’s done recently is beating up that one guy, it it sounds like that guy really pushed him into it, and he tried to stop it calmly first. Not good, but not as bad as he once was, for sure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Martman posted:

He raped a woman, it's not like he made some unwise comments or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

I assume based on them casting a dude who choked a women in the lead that it’s not going to be done very well

He hasn’t said anything I’ve heard that indicates he’s a person who felt any consequence that came from that was undeserved.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hirsh hasn't had any consequences from his actions, he's regularly booked movie roles since then, just nothing where he's a leading man. He was even picked by Dreamworks to record the missing VA lines after Anton Yelchin died.

Aside from 2 big movies in the mid 00s his career is pretty low key. That assault was probably the most press he'd gotten since being in Milk.

He's not cancelled or consequenced in any way.

Meanwhile Erza Miller is losing his mind in Hawaii and I'm sure there's debate over whether or not to replace him.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

He hasn’t said anything I’ve heard that indicates he’s a person who felt any consequence that came from that was undeserved.

I guess this is fair. I can never remember who actually faces consequences and who just disappears for a few years

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like it’s too early to tell for most, but I guess you could say James Gunn because he got screwed over. But he was “cancelled”. And he basically apologized and left social media until he got some jobs again.

What did Gunn do aside from post some tasteless jokes on Twitter? It's not like anyone worthwhile cared about this, it only became an issue due to some manufactured rightwing outrage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right but he got fired from Guardians 3 that day.

Eventually rehired but it took a few months

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He got the SS gig before he got rehired.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Hirsh hasn't had any consequences from his actions, he's regularly booked movie roles since then, just nothing where he's a leading man. He was even picked by Dreamworks to record the missing VA lines after Anton Yelchin died.

Aside from 2 big movies in the mid 00s his career is pretty low key. That assault was probably the most press he'd gotten since being in Milk.

He's not cancelled or consequenced in any way.

Meanwhile Erza Miller is losing his mind in Hawaii and I'm sure there's debate over whether or not to replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chemtrailologist posted:

What did Gunn do aside from post some tasteless jokes on Twitter? It's not like anyone worthwhile cared about this, it only became an issue due to some manufactured rightwing outrage.

Close friend of barely less than open pedophile Jimmy Urine and threw pedophilia themed parties with him as a “joke”