Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Asehujiko posted:

Who is currently capturing ground faster? Ukrainian counterattacks in the far north/south or the Russian push from Izyum?

There's been pretty much no changes to the front line in the far south for weeks.

Ukrainian gains near Kharkiv have been faster than Russia gains in the Donbas, but the latter is the critical theater and has way more troops involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah idk if those weeks of "basically stalled" assessments from ISW, UK MoD etc weren't a bit misleading. I can't see the future (whose army / econ / ammo supply etc runs out first), the relative loss rates, and idk how many tonks are a good trade for some eastern Ukrainian hamlet, but Russians seem to have been making very small but pretty steady gains in Donbas over the last weeks and I can't tell if they're gonna peter out before the Ukrainians for example have to pull out of Severodonetsk or what that city is called.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 12, 2022

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

EasilyConfused posted:

There's been pretty much no changes to the front line in the far south for weeks.

Ukrainian gains near Kharkiv have been faster than Russia gains in the Donbas, but the latter is the critical theater and has way more troops involved.

Seeing some reports that Ukraine pulled out of Rubizhne

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1524707005910462464?s=20&t=vMBwIpE4KcTttvbGc_57Ew

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah idk if those weeks of "basically stalled" assessments from ISW, UK MoD etc weren't a bit misleading. I can't see the future (whose army / econ / ammo supply etc runs out first), the relative loss rates, and idk how many tonks are a good trade for some eastern Ukrainian hamlet, but Russians seem to have been making very small but pretty steady gains in Donbas over the last weeks and I can't tell if they're gonna peter out before the Ukrainians for example have to pull out of Severodonetsk or what that city is called.

I think Russia will probably manage to take over almost all of the Donbas at the cost of a ridiculous amount of personnel and equipment. What remains to be seen is if they can recover fast enough to fight off the large number of fresh Ukrainians arriving with NATO equipment in June to take it back.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

aphid_licker posted:

Lets review the last month, according to liveuamap (Btw tomorrow is the 1 month anniversary of the sinking of the Moskva).
Going clockwise along the front, only looking at russian advances, In the last month the frontline has moved about 10 km south from Izyum, 15 km around zarichne, 2 km at Sievierodonetsk, 4 km at Popasna.
I don't think basically stalled is misleading.

catfry fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 12, 2022

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

psydude posted:

I think Russia will probably manage to take over almost all of the Donbas at the cost of a ridiculous amount of personnel and equipment. What remains to be seen is if they can recover fast enough to fight off the large number of fresh Ukrainians arriving with NATO equipment in June to take it back.

Fresh Ukrainians? What does their manpower reserve look like?

I had assumed, without any sourcing, that the majority of Ukraine’s armed forces were already committed to the fight. I know NATO is providing fresh modern equipment. I thought it was modernizing their existing forces. I wasn’t aware that Ukraine had the manpower to utilize it in addition to existing equipment.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

catfry posted:

Lets review the last month, according to liveuamap (Btw tomorrow is the 1 month anniversary of the sinking of the Moskva).
Going clockwise along the front, only looking at russian advances, In the last month the frontline has moved about 10 km south from Izyum, 15 km around zarichne, 2 km at Sievierodonetsk, 4 km at Popasna.
I don't think basically stalled is misleading.

Idk, maybe I'm the only idiot who reads "basically" stalled as "stalled", but given that we don't know when they'll grind to a halt it's not great to see. Seriously thanks for looking up the actual numbers though, I didn't know how to do that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Crini posted:

I had assumed, without any sourcing, that the majority of Ukraine’s armed forces were already committed to the fight. I know NATO is providing fresh modern equipment. I thought it was modernizing their existing forces. I wasn’t aware that Ukraine had the manpower to utilize it in addition to existing equipment.

I'd gotten the impression that Ukraine has committed most of it's standing forces but that the reservists mobilized in the first few days have been training and standing up fresh units in the western regions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'd gotten the impression that Ukraine has committed most of it's standing forces but that the reservists mobilized in the first few days have been training and standing up fresh units in the western regions.

This.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Russia is limited in the number of forces it can raise and commit due to internal politics. While Ukraine is significantly smaller, there is no serious pushback against full mobilization and a commitment to a Total War footing.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

aphid_licker posted:

Idk, maybe I'm the only idiot who reads "basically" stalled as "stalled", but given that we don't know when they'll grind to a halt it's not great to see. Seriously thanks for looking up the actual numbers though, I didn't know how to do that.

https://liveuamap.com, and then click 'time' and select a date. Then I just eyeball the difference, it might be off by some kms here and there. Who knows how liveuamap gets their data and how trustworthy it is, but it seems to follow along with all the other twitter nerd maps pretty well.

Crini posted:

With all the moving around, refugees and volunteers and the statistics including occupied territory, who knows, but basic demographics from before the war says Ukraine has 8,5 million people between the ages of 18 and 45. It's also unknown to what degree Ukraine has decided to go to a total war mode. I know they haven't called up every able bodied person, they are still being selective, but it seems like there ought to be a very large pool of raw manpower.
I think they are limited in equipment and trained forces, not fresh recruits.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

How long does that take or I guess how long should it take? I realize this is a question that varies based on available options and need so maybe more what does it look like from historical examples?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We're dunking a lot on what the Russians would be able to generate via general mobilization so hopefully the Ukrainian reserves are better than that. I want them to win hard but I'm also trying to stay realistic / off the hopium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

We're dunking a lot on what the Russians would be able to generate via general mobilization so hopefully the Ukrainian reserves are better than that. I want them to win hard but I'm also trying to stay realistic / off the hopium.

There's a massive 'Basic Training' push going on in the West, with some troops even getting training on systems and weapons in Poland and elsewhere in the EU. Not to mention Ukraine continues to have excellent access to supplies and logistics as well as repair, Russia cannot likely generate that even with a general mobilization.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1524742847664173057

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I imagine that once the Kyiv front collapsed the Ukrainians realized that they were going to have enough time to train their forces, and in the past months learn that they would have modern systems to equip them with. I expect that they'll be trained on an accelerated, but not abbreviated schedule.

I saw some footage of a Ukrainian crew running an m777 gun yesterday. They were only managing about a round per minute, but they were running the gun drill without errors. Those videos you've seen of American crews operating at breakneck speeds aren't a fair comparison, as the NCO in charge of the crew might have as much as a decade of experience and the rest of the crew averages out to several years of experience each. Even the greenest guy on the team has more experience than the most seasoned Ukrainian can possibly have at this point.

They're motivated learners. They'll get up to speed quickly.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fuuuuck me. That's a goddamned disaster. The only worse case would be if AA assets, airpower, and artillery tasked with supporting that crossing were lost. Good thing the RF didn't do that.

That job was exactly my father's job in the Bundeswehr. At a certain point, he asked the ranking NCO what would happen should war break out.

"One week, we lose all the bridging equipment. The next, all the other vehicles. Then, we are light infantry. After that, we fit in where we can. Maybe one month until combat ineffective. The saboteurs might last longer."

"So, it's not looking good."

"No, Gefreiter, it's not. Now help me move these demo charges, please."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love that he was willing to consider himself not combat ineffective sans all his vehicles :v:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

aphid_licker posted:

I think the fact that they're not throwing fresh units into the fight is a good sign that those units should be able to make this account of themselves when they do get committed. Ukraine has seen firsthand what happens when you send green conscripts in poorly-led units with unfamiliar equipment into battle. Hopefully they're trying to avoid those same mistakes.

Also, Ukraine giving up a village here and there is vastly preferable to losing good fighting men to defend a random village. The real question isn't how many villages Russia is taking in a week, it's what blood they're paying to take them vs how much blood the Ukrainians had to spend to show them down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:stare: That is loving impressive. That is highway of death level of kills.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: That is loving impressive. That is highway of death level of kills.

Rolling down the highway of death looked just like that. I was a platoon sergeant and just seeing wreck after wreck after smoking wreck as we drove by in our hummer was so loving brutal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rolling down the highway of death looked just like that. I was a platoon sergeant and just seeing wreck after wreck after smoking wreck as we drove by in our hummer was so loving brutal.

Yeah, and much like that, I refuse to believe many crews walked away from this.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Love that he was willing to consider himself not combat ineffective sans all his vehicles :v:

Dude was a nut. Very, "Kill Ivan good. Nein?!"

Got "retired" for hiding the bridge part of an AVLB. Tank broke during maneuvers, and he secreted the bridge as "broken", where no one would see it. Just in case. Also, "lost" years' supply of mattocks and shovels into a building, just in case.

Farmers gonna farmer, even in the military.

Ever go into a country house basement and see bottles stacked up against the wall? It's that guy.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Fuuuuck me. That's a goddamned disaster. The only worse case would be if AA assets, airpower, and artillery tasked with supporting that crossing were lost. Good thing the RF didn't do that.

I'm concerned that the Russians might have taken out the Ukrainian artillery with counter-battery fire, and successfully crossed the river afterwards. Some reports from today point in that direction. The counter-battery fire is my conjecture, but that they established a successful bridgehead isn't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm concerned that the Russians might have taken out the Ukrainian artillery with counter-battery fire, and successfully crossed the river afterwards. Some reports from today point in that direction. The counter-battery fire is my conjecture, but that they established a successful bridgehead isn't.

I kinda doubt that. Because even if they had, they apparently have no capitalized on the crossing anyways, so I suspect most of it already got wiped out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/tomaburque/status/1524762452126175234

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You're not going to see that many destroyed vehicles if there was effective counter battery fire.

Edit: 500? Jesus, that's basically a whole BTG that just ceased to exist.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Should be easy to verify if there's a pontoon bridge up right now - that would seem to indicate that the Ukrainians can no longer contest the crossing, for example due to losing their arty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

You're not going to see that many destroyed vehicles if there was effective counter battery fire.

Edit: 500? Jesus, that's basically a whole BTG that just ceased to exist.

Yeah, there's no way an effective force survived the crossing to try again.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

That map insert is placed completely wrong. This river is all the way in the East of the country.

Regarding a second crossing, this tweet says the Ukrainians reported some Russians crossed the river this night.
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1524605123175063552

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's not great to lose about 1% of your forces in one attempted river crossing.

Highway of Death was just massive, though, by comparison:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

mlmp08 posted:

They were still cleaning it up in 2008 at least.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

catfry posted:

That map insert is placed completely wrong. This river is all the way in the East of the country.
For anyone wondering: here's what we're looking at.

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayback/#active=16245&ext=38.20056,48.93505,38.26793,48.96120&localChangesOnly=true

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Loezi posted:

There's a bit of uncertainty whether the ratification would theoretically require a simple majority or a 2/3 majority in the parliament. The latter is needed in cases of a non-trivial transfer of sovereignty to an international body. Think joining the EU. Joining NATO probably doesn't count, but there's no precedent to rely on, as this part of the constitution was rewritten in only 2012. There's a Constitutional Law Committee that decides in the end, but they can only say what they think once they have the actual paperwork in front of them.

Current count is 156 in support, over 3 quarters, so that question should be a non-issue. 10 against, mostly in the the Left Alliance, only party that is slightly against. 18 undecided and 16 unknown.

Edit: But the cabinet ministers of Left Alliance have received a mandate to approve the membership application.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ASAPI posted:

They were still cleaning it up in 2008 at least.

I know there was some still left in 03 for sure.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Current count is 156 in support, over 3 quarters, so that question should be a non-issue. 10 against, mostly in the the Left Alliance, only party that is slightly against. 18 undecided and 16 unknown.

And even for self-identified left alliance voters in the latest poll by the national broadcaster YLE, majority supported the membership application to my understanding. The parliamentary group has been more cautious than the field probably is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1524707157811281922?s=21&t=1WnLJZrnny_aK8OvqhBfYw

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

mlmp08 posted:

I feel like I’ve seen so many documentaries about this but I can never recall how this came to be, probably because it’s so unbelievable. The Iraqi forces were retreating out of Baghdad and we just used air power to destroy their whole convoy? Didn’t the US stop halfway through or something as news got out that it was a slaughter, but then kept going?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

catfry posted:

Regarding a second crossing, this tweet says the Ukrainians reported some Russians crossed the river this night.
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1524605123175063552

Yeah, my apprehensions were due to that tweet, and another guy's conjecture who apparently got two Ukrainian villages mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It was a retreating army, not a surrendering army. We stopped because we were worried about the optics, not because it was an illegal target. That convoy consisted of many stolen vehicles laden with goods looted from Kuwait.