Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Just hope you didn't piss anyone off.

I'm a white noise poster, we're survivors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the elite purge was basically 100% complete by the time augustus was in power, which was the end result of a series of events that sulla started

augustus is like the patrician highlander, the last one standing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lady Radia posted:

i'd get what i deserve for being a marius supporter tbh

Well the alternative is Sulla who is literally the ran in the conservative make Rome great again platform

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Huh, never realized Wellington became Prime Minister at some point; still though all three were elected into positions of civilian state power via legitimate processes in competitive elections and not merely rubber stamped after a violent seizure.

Which is exactly my point.

In a democracy it's far more likely that the popular general will just use his popularity to win the regular contest for power and not seize it by violent means. It's the unpopular general that uses his military force to seize power you need to be worried about.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

In a democracy it's far more likely that the popular general will just use his popularity to win the regular contest for power and not seize it by violent means. It's the unpopular general that uses his military force to seize power you need to be worried about.

Sometimes popular generals do a coup anyway though. Isn't that how Nasser became president?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GaussianCopula posted:

I think maybe you're misunderstanding my point; The "popular general seizes power" thing is a trope and is what happened on multiple occasions and generally is referring to autocracies without firm non-violent norms for succession. Napoleon, Caesar, Justinian was worried Belisarius would do this which led to strife between them, etc. I don't think coups by unpopular generals happen all that often especially in antiquity; that seems to be more of a modern era thing where seizing communications and newspaper offices is necessary to prevent any popular blowback, but in the modern period coups tend to happen because of discontent with the reigning powers that be.

If anything I think you're thinking mainly of democracies where the violent seizing of power is more likely going to go against the will of the people (although unpopular democracies exist, re: Thailand?) while I'm referring to autocracies/monarchies from ancient times.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Raenir Salazar posted:

(although unpopular democracies exist, re: Thailand?)
No.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

VostokProgram posted:

Sometimes popular generals do a coup anyway though. Isn't that how Nasser became president?

The government proceeding him wasn't exactly a robust parlimentary democracy

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

IIRC this was something I heard from conservatives on my facebook who I suppose in retrospect aren't reliable sources of information. :shrug:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1521489761806045186

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its nice to see that many provinces in Turkey and Persia are more reasonably shaped than they are in 2.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1521852788875186176

The Conservative Party here seems to be a coalition of the Armed Forces, Rural Landowners, and the Clergy.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

ThaumPenguin posted:

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1521852788875186176

The Conservative Party here seems to be a coalition of the Armed Forces, Rural Landowners, and the Clergy.

new south wales being shitters in an election is historically accurate from 1836-present day.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New dev diary :toot:
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1522244982035431426

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

"Pops may begin to wonder why the Lower Strata, the largest class, does not simply eat the other two."

heh. Praxis.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I like it. It still leaves all the control in the player's hand. If the people overwhelmingly want say a communist party collective in charge you don't have to agree to do so, but the communist party IGs now have a mandate backed by the people and can make your life much much harder.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

new south wales being shitters in an election is historically accurate from 1836-present day.

haha yup, [MY LOCAL POLITICAL UNIT] also has voted wrong for hundreds of years, too

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The debug tools in this screenshot seem really slick. It's a sign that there's been a lot of time investment into making the overall development/testing process cycle faster.

I won't speculate too much on the overall process, but I can imagine a tester seeing an event with a typo/display glitch, opening the event via menu, making the change, and opening a pull-request within the span of a few minutes.

If it doesn't get removed before release, it'll be handy for modders too.

Spending time on features like this can be hard to justify because they don't translate to anything a typical player sees, but make life a lot better for the whole team. It's a sign that there's competent project management behind the scenes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They forgot to include Female-only Suffrage, or Inverted Wealth Voting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They forgot to include Female-only Suffrage, or Inverted Wealth Voting.

The devs are too cowardly but hopefully these can be modded in

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't bourgeois disenfranchisement a big contributing element of one of the early 19th century revolutions in France? Like you had capitalists who were wealthier than the vast majority of the nobility, who nevertheless had very little say in the political process due to their lack of titles and/or land?

I'm fairly sure this was the revolution of 1830, which does put it outside of the scope of the game, but the lack of an elitist voting system that explicitly excludes the capitalists still seems somewhat noteworthy to me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

The devs are too cowardly but hopefully these can be modded in
Unclear how you could model female-only suffrage, even with mods. The effect of letting women vote is to just transfer a chunk of abstracted "dependent" pops over to full people in the eyes of the state, for both economic and political purposes. If you went on to disenfranchise men, what would that look like? It's unlikely we're talking about taking men out of the workplace, so it would just be a reduction in the number of pops that contribute to elections... but how do you differentiate between how a man and a woman from a pop would vote? The base game doesn't- it just gives everyone more votes by population (which apparently advantages larger lower classes). I suppose female-only suffrage would be a new aristocracy-boosting vote reduction? That doesn't seem right.

Inverted-wealth voting seems possible though. It would create some interesting scenarios where the disenfranchised capitalists can't protect their wealth, and so gain more political power as they're more effectively stripped of their wealth.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ThaumPenguin posted:

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't bourgeois disenfranchisement a big contributing element of one of the early 19th century revolutions in France? Like you had capitalists who were wealthier than the vast majority of the nobility, who nevertheless had very little say in the political process due to their lack of titles and/or land?

I'm fairly sure this was the revolution of 1830, which does put it outside of the scope of the game, but the lack of an elitist voting system that explicitly excludes the capitalists still seems somewhat noteworthy to me.

That would be the 1789 revolution, but honestly the forces at play in the rolling crisis in France between 1787-1848 didn't really get 'resolved' per se.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wouldn't female-only suffrage mechanically just be male-only suffrage with the labels swapped

At least I'd imagine that would be the case if it was implemented as a Game Rule

OPAONI posted:

That would be the 1789 revolution, but honestly the forces at play in the rolling crisis in France between 1787-1848 didn't really get 'resolved' per se.

Nah to 1789, the specific thing I'm half-remembering is post-Napoleonic for sure, nothing to do with the Estates General.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 6, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

The less democratic your voting system is the bigger flat bonus to government legitimacy you get, which gives you more flexibility in choosing interest groups to put in government and effectively makes elections matter less. So if you have wealth voting it's probably pretty easy to keep the landowners permanently in power at the expense of the bourgeoisie even if they do well in elections. That's one abstraction that kind of fits, the other is just not having elections at all and keeping the landowners in power. I mean when your electorate is exclusively nobility I have to think votes generally hinge more on personal relationships than Victoria 3's mass politics-derived election mechanics like political parties and campaigning. I can't speak to how well that represents France's politics pre-1830 but from a game design perspective the extra voting law doesn't seem necessary

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I really just want to make the most hosed up society possible. I want only poor minority women to vote for rich white men who serve as CEO's of a company/state that holds massive amounts of slaves that all get a college education. I want mandatory 12 hour workdays supported by unions that double as secret police. I want worker run theocratic soviets lead by divinely appointed kings. I want a Chile that snakes from Santiago to Vladivostok without ever touching a landlocked province.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

I really just want to make the most hosed up society possible. I want only poor minority women to vote for rich white men who serve as CEO's of a company/state that holds massive amounts of slaves that all get a college education. I want mandatory 12 hour workdays supported by unions that double as secret police. I want worker run theocratic soviets lead by divinely appointed kings. I want a Chile that snakes from Santiago to Vladivostok without ever touching a landlocked province.

This is a :discourse: avatar-post-username combo.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1524026479851540481

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That juicy trade nexus.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_RN2iDutr0

What does Daniel Talman wear? Is this a Chinese 19th-century jacket?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1524389111024422913

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1524781697551814657

The thing about conditions in which IGs will join different parties is really cool, I like that a lot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bullying Paradox devs objectively made the game better. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mantis42 posted:

Bullying Paradox devs objectively made the game better. There's a lesson to be learned here.

What is the Radical Party? Radical what?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Capfalcon posted:

Radical liberals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_radicalism

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

We're gonna ditch the election and go catch some waves, dude. It's gonna be sick.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
The stuff at the end about how interest group allegiances vary based on the balance of power sounds incredible. I also really like how many political layers there are, even though I'm starting to lose track of them sometimes. You've got jobs/classes, ideologies, interest groups, and political parties, none of which (as far as I remember) are strict 1-to-1 correspondences.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

The stuff at the end about how interest group allegiances vary based on the balance of power sounds incredible. I also really like how many political layers there are, even though I'm starting to lose track of them sometimes. You've got jobs/classes, ideologies, interest groups, and political parties, none of which (as far as I remember) are strict 1-to-1 correspondences.

just like politicians in real life, who are also bumbling about through the process. dont worry, itll just make the game more realistic and good (no sarcasm).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Victoria III coming out in the middle of the Greatest Depression that seems to be on the cusp is going to be magical and on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The cooler the stuff they describe the less I believe it can all work correctly and come together.