Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Their tome is probably gone from the store because they are releasing a new tome in like five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It'll be up for preorder Saturday.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

One thing I dislike so far is that they did not buff Valentian in any way. He still steals some cp and beats people to death but that is all he can do - no magic, no command abilities, no passive buffs.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

peer posted:

yeah, they're their own faction. they're ghosts, not skeletons

a shameful ghost fights his own skeleton

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got that goblin done:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

One thing I dislike so far is that they did not buff Valentian in any way. He still steals some cp and beats people to death but that is all he can do - no magic, no command abilities, no passive buffs.

On the one hand, it’d be out of theme for him to get a CA.

On the other hand, dootghost should get something,

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Chainclaw posted:

a shameful ghost fights his own skeleton

poo poo.

That would be an amazing story.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

poo poo.

That would be an amazing story.

I had that specific idea when the bonereapers launched, and have some random notes for a story

Explain who the narrator is:
Semi-recently deceased. He’s a ghost that has lost track of his skeleton.
Explain the stakes:
His skeleton is doing things that are getting him in trouble in the afterlife, he’s being held accountable for things his skeleton is doing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Chainclaw posted:

I had that specific idea when the bonereapers launched, and have some random notes for a story

Explain who the narrator is:
Semi-recently deceased. He’s a ghost that has lost track of his skeleton.
Explain the stakes:
His skeleton is doing things that are getting him in trouble in the afterlife, he’s being held accountable for things his skeleton is doing.

If you told me this was a premise for a Discworld novel, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Are you from the UK by any chance?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Well if you want to see how mortals deal with horros of realms read Dynasty of Monsters they gently caress poo poo up for everyone .

As far as gotrek book goes, they are fine. Ghoulslayers has some decent descriptions of what Shyishian mortal kingdoms and their underworlds could be like if Nagash was not Hitler. Gitslayer is great because it flashes out both Gitz and KO societies and packs quite a bit of body horror.

As far as Blesseds interpretation goes - he sounds jolly but in character is still a miserable grognard. Sometimes reading his dialogue is like reading facebook/instagram comments with hompohobia and racism removed.

Also I will never understand the complain about having to have normal dudes in the story but yeah to each their own.

Oh. I have never "read" a Gotrek and Felix noble, John Bank's audiobooks are where it's at. I think his Gotrek adds the dour and grumpy to it. He's also basically got the perfect Thanquol voice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/zHs5i6jyXcs31aJk.pdf

The latest updated Balance Battlescroll is up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Horrors: yep, still Horrors.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Love how my two main armies (skaven and slaanesh) are perpetually prime hunters lol

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you told me this was a premise for a Discworld novel, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Are you from the UK by any chance?

hah, no, but I had read all the Discworld novels in like 2017 or 2018 so it was probably fresh in my mind.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/13/fight-in-the-gladiatorial-arena-or-haunt-the-mortal-realms-with-path-to-glory-rules

Get ready to fight in the arena or spook across the realms with the new Path to Glory rules.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Jumping back into aos this year and I have a couple questions.

1. Can you mix slaves to darkness with the other chaos armies again or is that just gone?

2. Any good podcast recommendations, I've got tons of time at work to listen and I'd live to add some aos stuff to my list.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The new Nighthaunt P2G looks good, but I hope DoK have more than the one mechanic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elblanco posted:

1. Can you mix slaves to darkness with the other chaos armies again or is that just gone?

2. Any good podcast recommendations, I've got tons of time at work to listen and I'd live to add some aos stuff to my list.

1. Most Chaos armies allow them as Coalition - 1 in every 4 units are legal, but in current matched play they can’t count as Battleline.

2. No idea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my LGS has the Dominion box set for $100 as 50% off. Does that qualify as a must get deal or just a not great, not terrible?

Also the only other AOS stuff I have is that starter set that I got my son a few months ago. That was like the $50 package.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So my LGS has the Dominion box set for $100 as 50% off. Does that qualify as a must get deal or just a not great, not terrible?

Also the only other AOS stuff I have is that starter set that I got my son a few months ago. That was like the $50 package.

Pretty good deal, GW sells just Yndrasta and the three hammer guys for more than that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Absolutely worth it if you want to play either army in the box, you'd be able to ebay the other half for like $50-60 pretty easily and end up with a rulebook and a lot of points for almost nothing.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Of the gw site core rulebook is 70$ so you get a lot of minis for 30$ if you look at it like that

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a way to pick up banner bearers and musicians to fix the gutrippaz unit from dominion without just buying the regular kit? I've got a pile of Kruleboyz that might end up being my second army but the idea of needing to essentially rebuy the gutrippaz annoys me to no end.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a way to pick up banner bearers and musicians to fix the gutrippaz unit from dominion without just buying the regular kit? I've got a pile of Kruleboyz that might end up being my second army but the idea of needing to essentially rebuy the gutrippaz annoys me to no end.

Send GW a note saying they were ruined on the sprues?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

AnEdgelord posted:

If you plan on having more than 10 Gutrippaz (which is probably a good idea) and also happen to need some more Bolt Boyz (also very likely since most lists are running 9+ of them), the Warcry box for Kruleboyz is a really good deal. For $70 you get a regular box of both Gutrippaz and Boltboyz + the Warcry tokens, which is a pretty big discount over MSRP. The non-Dominion Gutrippaz sprue has multiple musician options, so you'd end up being able to add one to both squads that way.

I've also seen people convert an extra banner bearer by using the Hobgrot banner, and of course you could always try to snag a single mini off of eBay, which would be overpriced but definitely cheaper than an entire extra kit.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Pricing on those warcry boxes puzzles me to no end. I got myself 2x sce box because at my lgs it costs 2$ more than a box of annihilators despite having both warcry tokens and half the vindictor box.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I bought that Kruleboyz Warcry box, not put them together yet but it's nice to know I have another 2 banners and musicians I can add in! I did try to convert a spearguy from Dominion into another banner bearer but it just didn't look good enough. Plus the Warcry tokens are good to use for poison etc. markers, if I ever get a game in.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Elblanco posted:

2. Party at the All Points, Rolling Bad for AoS focused stuff. Trapped Under Plastic and Paint Bravely if you're wanting something more hobby focused

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/15/sunday-preview-sylvaneth-and-skaven-clash-in-next-weeks-pre-orders/

Sylvaneth vs Skaven box goes up for pre-order next weekend.
And the Dark Harevest Warcry warbands are getting standalone releases as well.

And the first AoS book for months (Godsbane) also goes up for pre-order.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

And the first AoS book for months (Godsbane) also goes up for pre-order.

We just got Soulslayer and Dark Harvest a couple weeks ago.

And we have at least two more books announced.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dark Harvest was a rerelease, that novel has a few years. But there were others like Hallowed Ground, Kragnos, or A Dynasty of Monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talas posted:

Dark Harvest was a rerelease, that novel has a few years. But there were others like Hallowed Ground, Kragnos, or A Dynasty of Monsters.

Yeah I also got the name wrong. Don't know why I was thinking Dark Harvest I have not even read that book. Hallowed Ground was the book I meant.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

And we have at least two more books announced.

Fair, that was poor phrasing on my part.
Still the first AoS book release for a while.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Happy for updated Nighthaunt because I'm painting ghosts.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Skaven tome about to drop makes me want to build Skaven lists and work out what I've got and how it fits together, but I'm like 99% certain that Skaven listbuilding isn't going to remotely resemble what they currently have. At least I hope it doesn't because it currently sucks lol

Just let me take whatever battleline I want, it's not like skryre acolytes are a real thing that people would ever abuse - they'd have to buy them first for legit comp. I just wanna take a giant brick of plague monks in every list.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Deified Data posted:

The Skaven tome about to drop makes me want to build Skaven lists and work out what I've got and how it fits together, but I'm like 99% certain that Skaven listbuilding isn't going to remotely resemble what they currently have. At least I hope it doesn't because it currently sucks lol

Just let me take whatever battleline I want, it's not like skryre acolytes are a real thing that people would ever abuse - they'd have to buy them first for legit comp. I just wanna take a giant brick of plague monks in every list.

My guess and hope is clans are the subfacs, and each gets conditional battleline but not the requirement to have the entire army be in-clan.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

abravemoose posted:

Happy for updated Nighthaunt because I'm painting ghosts.

didnt go with the drum option I see :sadpeanut:

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

didnt go with the drum option I see :sadpeanut:

I built them quickly and didn't even think about alternatives. Next time.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I've just started getting some more games going on with some friends and had one yesterday that made me wonder if we'd overlooked something.

It was Lumineth vs Nighthaunt, which I know isn't the most balanced matchup in terms of battletome strength but I've gone for a Lumineth list that avoids stuff like Teclis, multiple units of archers and so on and focuses on a bunch of singleton smaller units for variety. My opponent had two big reinforced blobs of Chainrasps, some banshees to counter magic, various support heroes and a Knight of Shrouds and some other units (Bladegeists and the crossbow guys for sure, and some others I forget exactly).

What seemed weird was how on the 44x60 table size between the ghosts' ignoring all terrain and the elves' really high movement and speed spell, basically every unit was engaged turn 1, which made the first turn into a massive succession of combats that ended up with most of the ghosts dead and the game all but decided - in previous games it's swung the other way and the ghosts have been able to tie up all my stuff before I can get spells off, multi-charge into support heroes and so on.

Is that kind of "a good number of units will be able to attempt charges turn 1" the norm in AOS, particularly if you get corner deployment, or is it just an effect of having an army with ridiculously high movement on many units going up against one that has army wide flying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Bob Smith posted:

Is that kind of "a good number of units will be able to attempt charges turn 1" the norm in AOS, particularly if you get corner deployment, or is it just an effect of having an army with ridiculously high movement on many units going up against one that has army wide flying?

if both armies deploy right on the line then yeah many armies can pull off turn 1 charges. Deployment zones are generally either only 18 or 22” away, doesn’t take too much shenanigans to make that doable (nevermind teleporting units). There’s also a couple stairstep diagonal deployment missions where you could start as close as ~12 inches from your opponent.

Most experienced players will try to deploy in a way that minimizes turn 1 charge potential if it’s something their opponent might do, whether it’s with screens or deploying further back. But for newer players is common to see both players just line up everything and charge and throw dice until someone loses the scrum.