Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thanks- aaaaaand it already sold 😑

Welcome to buying an EV in 2022, friend. It’s not going to get any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

Wasn't there regulations for pedestrian safety and it was yet another thing that trucks were exempt from? Seems kinda dumb to exempt the most popular vehicles on the road from safety programs but what do I know!

AFAIK the only US federal regulation about bumpers is the one that says passenger cars have to take a 5 MPH hit between 16 and 20 inches from the ground without significant damage or loss of any lighting/reflectors. It's a response to some of the sleek designs of the era being vulnerable to expensive damage or loss of primary lighting in low speed impacts.

I would assume trucks were exempted from this because at the time the trend of personal pickup trucks and SUVs as suburban passenger vehicles was still a few decades off, so most trucks were still considered to be work vehicles where bumpers that can handle bumping without meaningful damage were already standard and height restrictions may be limiting. The problems this regulation aimed to solve didn't really apply to trucks yet.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah another place looks like it's actually taking delivery of a couple new ones this week (they've been 'in transit' for weeks but suddenly they have VINs on the site for them and it's saying it should be delivered today). Hopefully I can deal with it quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wolrah posted:

AFAIK the only US federal regulation about bumpers is the one that says passenger cars have to take a 5 MPH hit between 16 and 20 inches from the ground without significant damage or loss of any lighting/reflectors. It's a response to some of the sleek designs of the era being vulnerable to expensive damage or loss of primary lighting in low speed impacts.

I would assume trucks were exempted from this because at the time the trend of personal pickup trucks and SUVs as suburban passenger vehicles was still a few decades off, so most trucks were still considered to be work vehicles where bumpers that can handle bumping without meaningful damage were already standard and height restrictions may be limiting. The problems this regulation aimed to solve didn't really apply to trucks yet.

Yeah I was probably thinking of other location regulations, I recall something about how hoods needed redesigns to prevent someone's head from smacking on the engine block if they got knocked over. The hood is supposed to cushion the hit somewhat now. These improvements will probably just get rolled into NA designs but the regulations that specified them were for elsewhere (Japan, etc).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't even imagine trying to tow something long distance with an EV; every DC charger I've ever been to has required pulling into a space, often in a normal parking lot, and sometimes requiring backing in to reach the charging port. I don't think I'd ever be able to get out of one of those spots if I also had a small uhaul trailer behind me

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I can't even imagine trying to tow something long distance with an EV; every DC charger I've ever been to has required pulling into a space, often in a normal parking lot, and sometimes requiring backing in to reach the charging port. I don't think I'd ever be able to get out of one of those spots if I also had a small uhaul trailer behind me

Teslabjørn did shitloads of towing when he had his Model X, loads of videos about it on his channel. Taking up two charging spots when there was little traffic, doing the reacharound, or uncoupling. Or, miracle of miracles, some spots allow for it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

eh, most towing is within 100mi anyway, I think for moving pwc/small boats/campers/the occasional uhaul or utility trailer it’s plenty for towing

as much as I’d adore an EV Maverick or similar sized truck, the value proposition sucks when in theory you can get an electric F150 for $40k before tax credits and the EcoBoost AWD Mav with some extras already clocks in at like $35k

If it can haul a boat from north Reno to Tahoe and back without charging then I'll get on board with that but it's gonna be pretty tight.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah another place looks like it's actually taking delivery of a couple new ones this week (they've been 'in transit' for weeks but suddenly they have VINs on the site for them and it's saying it should be delivered today). Hopefully I can deal with it quickly.

I've been trying to buy one, too. Can totally relate.

I had split-second last year when I could have bought an EUV for $30,000 just before the stop-sale. Now they're finally trickling back into dealerships but are listed at $34,000.

I may go for the Premier model at this point, but like you I don't like the color of the only one available (white).

I'm a little optimistic since there seems to be a whole bunch "in transit", and they are slowly becoming "available" on Chevy's website.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Tesla mobile connector seems to be temporarily in stock, although can't select the version that includes a 14-50 adaptor 😬

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

Yeah I was probably thinking of other location regulations, I recall something about how hoods needed redesigns to prevent someone's head from smacking on the engine block if they got knocked over. The hood is supposed to cushion the hit somewhat now. These improvements will probably just get rolled into NA designs but the regulations that specified them were for elsewhere (Japan, etc).
You've got it, Europe has pedestrian safety regulations that limit how hard of an impact someone's head can have with the hood, which has resulted in higher hoods on world-market vehicles to provide space where otherwise someone might effectively have their head slammed right in to the engine block.

IIRC Volvo showed off a system that had an airbag like thing in the hood that would pop it up in the back to add more clearance if it detected the car had hit someone. Not sure if that ever reached production.

QuarkJets posted:

It is definitely silly that a lot of highway-adjacent charging stations don't have at least one or two passthrough spaces, especially those at rest stops, truck stops, etc. where you really expect people to be towing.

That said, it's not like dropping off a trailer and pulling around a parking lot to the charge station is the hardest thing in the world. When you're already stopping for 20 minutes every hour and a half what's another couple of minutes?

I certainly wouldn't have an EV truck quite yet for towing an RV across the country but it'd be great for hauling some quads to the trail or a boat to the lake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Those active hood systems are actually in quite a few vehicles- even stuff like the Mazda 6 and some Buicks. I know some Tesla Model 3s have the system but in typical Tesla fashion only in markets that require it to meet crash reps.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Tesla mobile connector seems to be temporarily in stock, although can't select the version that includes a 14-50 adaptor 😬

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

:hai:

Thanks for posting this. Put the charger in your cart, and then go back to the menu and add the adapter separately.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Thanks for posting this. Put the charger in your cart, and then go back to the menu and add the adapter separately.

But for $45 more right?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have an extra 14-50 adapter for my Tesla mobile connector that I should sell off at some point. But :effort: and don't wanna ship it.

(I bought the adapter itself once, then eventually bought the whole NEMA adapter bundle a few months later when it was in stock which is why I have two.)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, thanks for this. My mobile charger has been essentially 100% of my charging, and everytime I drop it or go on a trip, I think that I should have another that lives in the car. Elon is completely wrong on the amount of charging with the mobile connector. Id say about 50% of the houses I see with a tesla use the mobile connector to charge at home.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just did the audio / navigation firmware update on the EV6. Remembered I had a portable drive laying around I could use for it. Whole process took about an hour of letting the car do its thing. No wireless CarPlay yet but I’m hoping that’s soon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But for $45 more right?

I don’t think the charge cord is the same price as the charge cord/adaptor package?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

I don’t think the charge cord is the same price as the charge cord/adaptor package?

They're both $200 🤪 Regardless thats still way cheaper than many options

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They're both $200 🤪 Regardless thats still way cheaper than many options

Lol oh, I didn’t realize.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I've got one mobile charger semi-permanently mounted in my garage with a 14-50 plug, and one mobile charger living in my undertrunk next to my emergency bag. It's purely a safety blanket, the only time I've used it when I was staying at my parents' over the holidays. It would have been a minute's work to bring the garage charger with me, but eh.

Part of me wants to get the adapter pack to sit in my undertrunk as well, part of me thinks it'll be a waste.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

2023 Bolt EUV getting a "redline" edition.

https://insideevs.com/news/585455/2023-chevy-bolt-euv-redline-edition-coming/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, thanks for this. My mobile charger has been essentially 100% of my charging, and everytime I drop it or go on a trip, I think that I should have another that lives in the car. Elon is completely wrong on the amount of charging with the mobile connector. Id say about 50% of the houses I see with a tesla use the mobile connector to charge at home.

My home charger is the mobile that came with it, didn't see a need to pay for the wall connector when I only have a 20A outlet.

I think the stance that "most people only need one charger" is closer to correct, but Tesla's stance is clearly now that it should be a wall charger you pay extra for, when the mobile is just fine for that purpose.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The only reason I bought a Grizzl-E is because I forgot my mobile charger on 50% of the road trips I took (1 out of 2) and it was really annoying not to have it to just slow charge at my mommy's house until I discovered there was a city owned free 7.2 kW charger 3 blocks from her house.

e: i used that charger twice and both times there was a Nissan Leaf plugged into the other port at 100% SoC that had been there for 20+ hours. Same one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
2023 Polestar 2 getting some range updates, a better heat pump, and most importantly the EU only performance upgrade will be built into the Performance Pack.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-polestar-2-paint-wheel-updates/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s the trap speed now

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

MustardFacial posted:

2023 Polestar 2 getting some range updates, a better heat pump, and most importantly the EU only performance upgrade will be built into the Performance Pack.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-polestar-2-paint-wheel-updates/
AIUI the heat pump improvement is software, not hardware; PS has said us 2022 heat pump havers will receive the same update OTA sometime.

Have had mine almost a month now, and while I don’t drive daily, I’ve still seen another Polestar on my travels at least 50% of the time. It’s nice. Granted, I live like 5 miles from one Space and there are two others in the metro region (NYC/NJ).

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

bird with big dick posted:

What’s the trap speed now

Top Gear was saying the 0-60 dropped to 4.4s, which is not super quick because it's still a heavy car. But 502lb ft is still a decent kick in the rear end.

bitprophet posted:

AIUI the heat pump improvement is software, not hardware; PS has said us 2022 heat pump havers will receive the same update OTA sometime.

Have had mine almost a month now, and while I don’t drive daily, I’ve still seen another Polestar on my travels at least 50% of the time. It’s nice. Granted, I live like 5 miles from one Space and there are two others in the metro region (NYC/NJ).

ah yeah the heat pump upgrade is software. It says it in the article. must have missed it before.

A friend of mine works around the corner from the Space here and he says the alley will fills with 5 or 6 polestar's and then empty out the next day (presumably online orders getting prepped). Last time he sent me a picture there was a 90's Lotus Esprit parked up.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would assume it would get better eventually - I'm just hoping that happens before my Prius' hybrid drive battery (or other expensive parts) shits the bed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Test drove an i4 with a friend today. Not super impressed with the power + quality you get for the money. The iX felt amazing inside, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WHERES MY CAR ELOM???

Estimated delivery date pushed for the third time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WHERES MY CAR ELOM???

He’s too distracted counting the spam Twitter accounts rn

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re too busy caulking the trunks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WHERES MY CAR ELOM???

They’re tracking your posts and they delay it every time you ask.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Tesla is backing away from delivering products, as quantifiable metrics detract from the infinite growth narrative.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’re tracking your posts and they delay it every time you ask.

This seems unlikely, do you have any evidence to support this claim?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got a road trip coming up June 3rd and it might be fun to do it in the Tesla because I did it once in the Mach so it'd be a good comparison.

I guess I'll make a PPF appointment for the 31st or 1st and if it isn't here by then I'll have to drive one of the Accords.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Just realized that the price to buy my 2019 Bolt that I've been leasing for $199 is only $19k. Planning to buy that when my lease ends in June to hold out and then resell when my R1S is ready.

I was looking at an iX as well, but I just can't get past that front grill. It looks racist as hell.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Polish Pirate posted:

It looks racist as hell.

???

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Ha sorry just the weird slanted headlights and giant buck teeth grill looks like a racist Asian stereotype. Maybe a bit of a stretch to say it looks racist, but not a stretch to say it's ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just did the audio / navigation firmware update on the EV6. Remembered I had a portable drive laying around I could use for it. Whole process took about an hour of letting the car do its thing. No wireless CarPlay yet but I’m hoping that’s soon.

Oh, that's available to do at home? I thought you had to go to the dealer to get it done. Can you link to the instructions?