Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

when did your kids start playing video games? my 2 year old has a hard enough time mustering enough attention to watch ghibli films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bitmap posted:

when did your kids start playing video games? my 2 year old has a hard enough time mustering enough attention to watch ghibli films.

really depends on the game. at 3 mine was playing Toca Nature which is a good game on a tablet. with actual controllers, age 4 was with assistance and now at 5.5 she can have fun playing games that are open world just I have to help with reading.

open world games are great because they can just work on basic moving around and it’s low stakes and pressure

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bitmap posted:

I have a picture of my 2 year old "played" elden ring. He found the jump button and kept mashing it. That's about it.

He likes those "raise pets" mobile games because he can drag food around feeding them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mustached Demon posted:

I have a picture of my 2 year old "played" elden ring. He found the jump button and kept mashing it. That's about it.

He likes those "raise pets" mobile games because he can drag food around feeding them.

tamagotchi is eternal

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

bitmap posted:

My almost 6 year old can either move around or move the camera in BOTW but not both at the same time yet

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Letting my kids play minecraft was a mistake, they're both obsessed BUT so is every other drat kid their age.

At some point it feels like you're being mean by not letting them do the same things as their peers.

We use it to talk about addiction and too much gaming with them, but the problem isn't playing too much it's that they act like complete cranky assholes afterwards. It's shocking how consistently that results.

e: I should add that we have people in our extended family who have had children's services involved in their lives because they (the parents) were so addicted to video games, so its not something we take lightly.

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 18:41 on May 12, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Letting my kids play minecraft was a mistake, they're both obsessed BUT so is every other drat kid their age.

At some point it feels like you're being mean by not letting them do the same things as their peers.

We use it to talk about addiction and too much gaming with them, but the problem isn't playing too much it's that they act like complete cranky assholes afterwards. It's shocking how consistently that results.

e: I should add that we have people in our extended family who have had children's services involved in their lives because they (the parents) were so addicted to video games, so its not something we take lightly.

Why are they so cranky afterwards? Are they playing online in toxic environments? That's not a snippy question I legit have no idea about the modern state of Minecraft, when I played it like a decade ago or whatever it was pretty chill but there was no multiplayer at that point unless you like set up a lan with your stoner roommate which again, was pretty chill

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

IAMKOREA posted:

Why are they so cranky afterwards? Are they playing online in toxic environments? That's not a snippy question I legit have no idea about the modern state of Minecraft, when I played it like a decade ago or whatever it was pretty chill but there was no multiplayer at that point unless you like set up a lan with your stoner roommate which again, was pretty chill

They don't even play online, just split screen.

I think it triggers a strong dopamine release. They really act terrible afterwards. The only other time they act that way is when we let them stuff themselves with sugar all day. Literally they could play any other game for hours and not behave the same as after 60 mins of Minecraft.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah my in-laws got a tablet for our kid to play with, and after a week I ended up just putting it away for now until she's old enough that we can talk to her about regulating usage because she instantly gets glued to it and wants to do nothing but play with the tablet until it's taken away, at which point she pitches a massive fit that takes forever to come down from. I don't like the effect it has. It sounds like the Minecraft thing is probably similar.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Another Bill posted:

They don't even play online, just split screen.

I think it triggers a strong dopamine release. They really act terrible afterwards. The only other time they act that way is when we let them stuff themselves with sugar all day. Literally they could play any other game for hours and not behave the same as after 60 mins of Minecraft.

Wow that's crazy, how old are they?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

8 and 11, its been that way for 2-3 years though. We've taken it away before and even now its tightly controlled, which I don't think helps tbh it just makes it more desirable.

It does make them happy too, don't get me wrong. I just fuckin hate it.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

my six year she will play Minecraft but then ask me to do anything complicated, also she plays arceus with me

it probably wasn’t around till she was 5 she even cared about games, now it’s can I have your phone to play games constantly

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I don't like the effect it has.

we run into this with some games but not others. some make my son wired and jumpy. others nbd.

he mostly likes building games, cities skylines, oxygen not included, Minecraft (creative only), and baba is you.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

High intensity audio-visual stimulation. That's all. The brain is getting a lot of stimulation while the muscles do nothing. When you shut it off, they get cranky. They want screen time more than anything in the world. It's bad for them.

It's bad for us, too.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

could be cranky if there are set shifting difficulties

could set a timer, I recommend “time timers”.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Yeah. This is why the 4 year old gets to watch paw patrol.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Greg Legg posted:

Yeah. This is why the 4 year old gets to watch paw patrol.

thank god my kids paw patrol urge comes and goes. she’s stoked that season 3 of sonic x is on Hulu lol. for some reason Netflix only had 2 seasons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My four year old gets really sad when we play CK3, but I told her that sometimes heirs that don't clean their room probably have low stats and gotta go.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

everything is a struggle between not having your kid just be in front of a loving screen all the time but also allowing your kids to know about what’s popular as if they don’t kids are loving merciless and brutal to each other and you don’t want your kid to get bullied

thank you for coming to my tedx talk

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

this is my #1 fear
kiddo goes to kindergarten in a few months and I really don't want him to be out of lock-step because I think Paw Patrol sucks

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Had a great time this morning - went to the walking trail by the beach, had brunch (like TRUE LIB) and Little Soup was a joy, waving and saying hi to everyone that passed and obsessing over the doggies. She is now 16-months old and running and climbing and shouting YAY consistently and I have never been more obsessed with anything else in my life

However, we pushed it a bit too much on not getting a nap in and when she did go down, she had a massive dump and was a just a nightmare child up until we put her down ten minutes ago. She is out cold though, thankfully

man I wish there were clearer studies done on the effect of THC on male fertility, because the afternoon was just brutal. I haven't even thought about vaping some bud for well over a month but holy poo poo has it been tempting tonight. We are now officially TTC again for second (and last!!!) baby and I don't want to make it any harder than it might be

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I'm donating to a lesbian couple and the guidance there is not to smoke the day before for what it's worth. All seems a little arbitrary at this point tho.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Had a great time this morning - went to the walking trail by the beach, had brunch (like TRUE LIB) and Little Soup was a joy, waving and saying hi to everyone that passed and obsessing over the doggies. She is now 16-months old and running and climbing and shouting YAY consistently and I have never been more obsessed with anything else in my life
Nice.

We had our first fire of the season and first fire ever for the littlest one. Roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. P. good Sunday.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bitmap posted:

When the pandemic started. Mine were 4 and 2, we mostly played simulators. I still occasionally let them play Pokemon on an emulator, it Diesel Railcar Simulator, but I mostly can't be assed to set up videogames, we're too busy juggling 3 kids during a pandemic. And since we only do outdoor playsets they only occasionally hear that other kids play something called Minecraft.

I don't have anything against videogames as long as it's not all consuming, it's just easier to give them puzzles and board games or TV.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

video games: got a WiiU for oldest daughter when she was 5. she was beating me in Mario kart on 100cc after four months…

now she’s ten and started telling me about how the school is starting to imply that you have to go to college and also starting to gloss over what interest rates are.
so I got to spend two hours after dinner last night talking to her about some of the stuff I chat to clients about; how college scams a lot of children into a lifetime of debt with the promise of a job in urban horticultural and landscape design, for example, or all of the arts, and how most people do not go on to be the thing they went to college for.

but far more importantly we talked about interest, because nobody ever did that with me. I showed her how a $100,000 student loan with 6% interest requires six grand a year for nothing. I showed her how a 400,000 mortgage at 3% differs from a 400,000 mortgage at 6.5% (an extra $1100 a month)

i am harry has issued a correction as of 14:32 on May 16, 2022

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we've talked with the kid about college costs but yeah the discussion about interest is probably a good one to have. i'm not sure if school has covered finance at all.

the kid is aware of the student debt thing and has been a downer on it but we also get to keep pointing out, listen, we did plan for this and we DO have savings to help cover all of this as long as you're not going to some ridiculous over the top school. the other night for the band class we had the final concert of the year and seniors night where they listed where all the seniors were going and (for many of them) how much they were getting in scholarships. It definitely helped her to see that 1) nobody was going anywhere fancy at all, and 2) that even basic marching band scholarships can put a huge dent in costs. And then there were a few showoffs with quarter-million full ride poo poo, but even that was to smaller schools for the most part.

but we've also tried to be clear from early on that it didn't have to be college, vocational stuff is totally fine. A few of the seniors were planning that sort of thing which was also good for the other kids to see.

and then one said she was skipping any further school and going straight into acting, and good luck to her but, uhh...

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I wanted to stress to her that when we hear “interests rates rose by 2%” our brain naturally goes “oh that’s nothing” but it should be screaming

oh and also wanted to subtly stress that, as the beneficiary of two generations of professional artists, she can be taught everything she needs and apprenticed as a tattoo artist without ever spending a cent, and how lucky those of us with parents who can pass on information (and nepotism) are compared to someone who, for example, wants to be artistic but has nobody in their family who knows how to be that, because they’re the ones who fall into the deepest higher education traps.

I described being an art student and showing your work at your year end show and your parents and friends coming and then leaving then I made her imagine the show is over and she’s got all her art in her hand and I ushered her to the front door, opened it, pushed her out, said welcome to the real world, and slammed the door in her face.
then I locked it.
when she tried to get back in I opened it up and offered her a masters degree

i am harry has issued a correction as of 14:39 on May 16, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have an arts degree and a good paying job in my field fwiw. It is possible.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

yeah man of course it is, for two out of 30 in a class. meanwhile I dropped out halfway through senior year because scad said they didn’t need a diploma on account of my high test scores. then they tried to get me to take an entire year of “core curriculum” classes to the tune of $21k which were the classes in senior year I dropped out of. bet you did that too.
I said gently caress that and never went.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I have a poo poo rear end journalism degree and still ended up with a very well-paying job though it came years after shoveling poo poo

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I literally have the best job you could have as an artist by not going to art college, and that is primarily due to luck, the same amount you have after working hard for 4 years and graduation.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Good soup! posted:

I have a poo poo rear end journalism degree and still ended up with a very well-paying job though it came years after shoveling poo poo

extremely same.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Iridium posted:

and then one said she was skipping any further school and going straight into acting, and good luck to her but, uhh...

Time to show her the Hollywood family tree and that she's not on it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hello thread. wife is 5 weeks pregnant, so may it may be premature to post here, but I wanted to chime in on the arts career chat.

My wife and I are both professional musicians, and we finally scored union jobs that will be there for us as long as our Theater continues to exist, which has been going strong since the 1830s. We're also American student debt refugees living in Europe, exploiting the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion to report $0 of taxable income for our Income-Based Repayment program, meaning our minimum monthly payment will be $0 as long as we stay out of the country.

I'm excited to introduce our future kid(s) to music and music making, but am terrified of them pursuing it as a career. It's a wildly exploitative, brutally competitive industry, away from which I steer any interested young person I can. Maybe I still have a ways to go before I can get over some of my bitterness about it, but right now I feel like I don't want to raise an artist.

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 21:08 on May 16, 2022

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I went to school for art and thought maybe I could do it as a side hustle and ended up doing programming after dicking around a bunch of years. Taught my 4 year old the basics of screen printing this weekend, and plan on teaching my kids as many processes as I can. Even being educated as a studio artist opens a lot of doors in other fields because you have to learn process and problem solving techniques way more than a lot of other areas of study. It's good, it's enriching, and it's not a dead end street even if you don't find a gig in your field!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm personally planning on a "yes, and" approach to lofty yet difficult to live professions. You can be a plumber who writes poetry.

Also, your future children have an invaluable resource in what you'll be able to teach them that many parents, including myself, cannot.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Warrior poet will actually be a prestige profession soon thanks to impending climate collapse

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
My kid swallowed a coin and I am upset by this

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

pushpins posted:

My kid swallowed a coin and I am upset by this

Oh that sucks what did the doctor say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

IAMKOREA posted:

Oh that sucks what did the doctor say

He should poop it out in a few days