Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Awesome. Further backing my points about Avatar vs Star Wars in the BO and how you can track these two as a measure of "who even cares about Avatar anymore" being an incredibly inaccurate sentiment in regards to its global cultural relevancy.

Also all this talk about Disney and Avatar is interesting because these movies were years underway before the Fox merger and I dont really know how much of an affect Disney buying Fox had on the screenplays. I doubt Cameron just let Disney walk in and start hacking out any messaging that might not be to there liking.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Avatar 1 had a bigger box office in China in 2009 than all 3 star wars films combined. The decade of Avatar is upon us gentlemen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's probably gonna be another 10+ years between Avatar 3 and 4.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Amazon claims their LOTR: Rings of Power teaser got 257 million views in the first 24 hours and that trailer has been met with a collective shrug(i'm not talking about the internet chuds mad about brown people in middle earth). I don't think high trailer views automatically translates to hype or interest, just awareness. Each new typical run of the mill Marvel movie trailer debut gets really high trailer views in that ballpark.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
One of those people that went to see it in 3d and wasn't impressed. The only shot with actual depth is in the first 5 minutes, the CG layers never even get close for the rest of the thing. Gravity's 3D was a better time.

Story-wise, it was fern gully/dances with wolves and also did nothing for me.

This will make a metric poo poo ton of money though, I'll wait it out and watch it on a phone or something on the way to work. My total apathy is the real unobtainium

No hate meant to JC, True Lies, Terminator 1+2 and Aliens have earned him a forever pass. Make as many of these avatar movies as ya want bud.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 11, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

Amazon claims their LOTR: Rings of Power teaser got 257 million views in the first 24 hours and that trailer has been met with a collective shrug(i'm not talking about the internet chuds mad about brown people in middle earth). I don't think high trailer views automatically translates to hype or interest, just awareness. Each new typical run of the mill Marvel movie trailer debut gets really high trailer views in that ballpark.

That trailer was also released during the Super Bowl though, which argubly makes it an inflated metric.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It really is an excellent teaser trailer. I keep thinking about it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ccs posted:

It really is an excellent teaser trailer. I keep thinking about it

You mentioned you work in the VFX industry. You'll probably get a kick out of reading the armchair replies to this tweet lol

https://twitter.com/boomborks/status/1523993806655614978

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

You mentioned you work in the VFX industry. You'll probably get a kick out of reading the armchair replies to this tweet lol

https://twitter.com/boomborks/status/1523993806655614978

Haha yeah, people can’t wrap their minds around it being cg. Then again, so much vfx is seamless digidoubles that are meant to be taken as live action without question. Avatar just centers the vfx so people can’t help but think they painted a guy blue because they don’t know how much other seamless vfx they’ve already seen.

I believe Avatar is getting this effect through performance capture and motion editors (usually ppl with animation backgrounds) doing polish on the mocap, but in many productions this is done through something called roto animation (or body tracking) where a matchmove software like 3D equalizer is used to track various parts of a body and then animation augments it and cleans it up. Most movies with seamless cg replacements have a lot of that workflow going into them.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 12, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zer0spunk posted:

Story-wise, it was fern gully/dances with wolves and also did nothing for me.

James actually just tried to make Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace “more realer”, without realizing it was a satire.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Avatar 2 won't flop because Disney is going to market the poo poo out of it.

Honestly though, I don't care. I just remembered being really bored during the first film and walking out really underwhelmed. The characters were mainly non-existent. Like, I won't go with the "I can't remember names" because that's not a fair criticism. But in all of those films, I can remember who the characters are and what they do. But Avatar... uhhh... There's main guy, there's main guy's best friend, there's scientist, there's the Navi who doesn't trust main guy, there's love interest, there's absurd bad guy, there's weedy bad guy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

I watched Pacific Rim in 3D at the theater. It looked like rear end. Literally just like, cardboard cutouts on the screen lol. The only other movie I saw in 3D at the theater post-Avatar was Alita, and it didn't add much to be honest. I said earlier I think directing in stereo 3D is a whole other skillset, and I don't think RR has it dialed in. At least, not in the way Cameron has. I regret not seeing How To Train Your Dragon in 3D which I'm told was pretty decent. Hugo too think? Since it was shot by the Master of Cinema using the Cameron 3D camera rig/setup/thing. But I have zero interest in watching Hugo. I've watched a handful of 3D movies at home on an old 3DTV my uncle had and they were all junk.

[edit] Fun little trivia: RR revealed during some press junket that From Dusk Til Dawn was supposed to be filmed in 3D. Or converted to 3D in post? Either way, if you rewatch the movie, you can pick up on certain shots that definitely feel like they were meant to emphasize the 3D effect. Couple scenes off the top of my head: Tarantino looking through the bullet hole in his hand, any time Clooney was waving around his crafted jackhammer/vampire stake weapon, and the sunlight coming through the bullet holes/vampires exploding from the disco ball reflection.

[edit 2] Have yet to try watching a 3D film through a VR headset. I imagine watching Avatar on an Oculous or whatever would be pretty cool.

Best 3D movie I saw was Coraline and most of that was because the effects just deepened the immersion into the world of the movie instead of "Check it! A dude firing a rocket to gun-cum right in your face!"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw Gaspar Noe's Love in 3D and you get a dude firing regular cum right in your face.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Everyone posted:

Best 3D movie I saw was Coraline and most of that was because the effects just deepened the immersion into the world of the movie instead of "Check it! A dude firing a rocket to gun-cum right in your face!"

The tunnel extending out is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in theaters

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
DRIVE ANGRY had some great use of 3D. There's a scene where Cage's character is having a flashback but it plays out on the windscreen as he's driving and it's a really neat effect.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

One of the more interesting 3D uses was in the Chinese movie Long Days Journey into Night, the first half of which is in 2D and then the main character goes into a theatre and puts on 3D glasses and falls asleep, the second half of the movie being a 3D dream sequence. Incidentally I remember nothing from the first half of the film but I remember the second half very vividly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ccs posted:

Haha yeah, people can’t wrap their minds around it being cg. Then again, so much vfx is seamless digidoubles that are meant to be taken as live action without question. Avatar just centers the vfx so people can’t help but think they painted a guy blue because they don’t know how much other seamless vfx they’ve already seen.

I believe Avatar is getting this effect through performance capture and motion editors (usually ppl with animation backgrounds) doing polish on the mocap, but in many productions this is done through something called roto animation (or body tracking) where a matchmove software like 3D equalizer is used to track various parts of a body and then animation augments it and cleans it up. Most movies with seamless cg replacements have a lot of that workflow going into them.

What advancements has performance capture made in the 13 years since the first film's release, if any? I went back and watched the performance capture-centric featurette again and even now a lot of what's shown in that 12ish year old video still feels pretty bleeding edge lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1JzYPjcj0

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DrVenkman posted:

DRIVE ANGRY had some great use of 3D. There's a scene where Cage's character is having a flashback but it plays out on the windscreen as he's driving and it's a really neat effect.

That just reminded me, The Green Hornet had some pretty cool use of 3D

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am weirdo 3D superfan and watch almost anything available in the format and outside of the occasional kids movies the whole "thing popping out at your face in 3D" is almost entirely non-existent save a few outliers now so I dont know why people still harp on that trope.

The last serious movie I can think of that used it non-ironically was Fury Road and its literally one shot.

3D is amazing and I hope it never goes away especially so we can still get films like Long Days Journey Into Night which justifies its entire existence as a technology.

I also really love all the 3D masters of Jurassic Park, T2, Tianic and yes even The Last Emperor got a wonderful conversion.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cacator posted:

One of the more interesting 3D uses was in the Chinese movie Long Days Journey into Night, the first half of which is in 2D and then the main character goes into a theatre and puts on 3D glasses and falls asleep, the second half of the movie being a 3D dream sequence. Incidentally I remember nothing from the first half of the film but I remember the second half very vividly.

You are underselling this...it goes into a 45-minute continuous long take with no actual cuts in 3D, and does some really intricate camera movement in there..I bought the 3d Bluray specifically for this reason. Blanking on how many tries it took though...it's seriously impressive. You putting on the glasses as the character does in the theater was a clever move too.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

What advancements has performance capture made in the 13 years since the first film's release, if any? I went back and watched the performance capture-centric featurette again and even now a lot of what's shown in that 12ish year old video still feels pretty bleeding edge lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1JzYPjcj0

Yeah to be honest a lot of vfx studios aren’t at that level nowadays that Weta was 12 years ago. There’s a giant gap in the vfx industry between companies that have invested heavily into RnD (Weta, ILM, and maybe Digital Domain and Framestore) and everyone else who just brute forces things.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Avatar 2 won't flop because Disney is going to market the poo poo out of it.

Honestly though, I don't care. I just remembered being really bored during the first film and walking out really underwhelmed. The characters were mainly non-existent. Like, I won't go with the "I can't remember names" because that's not a fair criticism. But in all of those films, I can remember who the characters are and what they do. But Avatar... uhhh... There's main guy, there's main guy's best friend, there's scientist, there's the Navi who doesn't trust main guy, there's love interest, there's absurd bad guy, there's weedy bad guy.

The "remember names" slight is pretty silly because firstly, they say Jakesully about a billion times, and secondly, something like The Sixth Sense was a phenomenon and I doubt the average person can remember anyone's name in that.

It's a silly metric, even if Avatar wasn't filled with perfectly serviceable names like Jakesully, Neytiri, Selfridge and Quatrich.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i see you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it is a silly metric but i do find it funny that Jake Sully is the only name anyone remembers from Avatar while most nerds myself included can name every space marine in Aliens even the ones who show up for like ten seconds before getting killed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it is a silly metric but i do find it funny that Jake Sully is the only name anyone remembers from Avatar while most nerds myself included can name every space marine in Aliens even the ones who show up for like ten seconds before getting killed.
I dunno I mean, there are nerds under the age of 30 these days

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's cause you've been watching it annually for 25+ years. And it's a part of pop & geek culture - especially Hicks.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The only name from Avatar I remember is Quaritch, and that’s because I wanted him to win. I just couldn’t take the goofy design of the na’vi seriously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

That's cause you've been watching it annually for 25+ years. And it's a part of pop & geek culture - especially Hicks.

Kinda the point though. Aliens found a permanent place in pop culture and it has fans who've watched it regularly for multiple decades. I'm sure there are some people out there who love Avatar and watch it once a year but I haven't met any of them yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda the point though. Aliens found a permanent place in pop culture and it has fans who've watched it regularly for multiple decades. I'm sure there are some people out there who love Avatar and watch it once a year but I haven't met any of them yet.

Context is important though imo. Aliens is part of a franchise that has realeased films and other consumer media (games, books, comics, toys, etc.) consistently over the span of nearly 40 years. The first 3 films that established the franchise's foothold in pop culture also came out in the early 80s/early 90s, when streaming platforms and VOD services were nonexistant (obviously), so for the average moviegoer there wasn't a bombardment of content competing for their attention. The market back then for media consumption wasn't nearly as saturated for consumers. Avatar came out when platforms like Netflix, YouTube, etc., were booming, and big budget blockbuster franchise IPs like Harry Potter and Transformers were part of the pop culture zeitgeist.

After Avatar came out, there was almost nothing that followed up to keep the film as a mainstay in pop culture. Not until I guess the Avatar world theme park thing opened circa 2017 maybe, roughly 8 years after the film's release. The film didn't get a comics series until 2019, literally a decade later. There was a 2009 game developed by Ubisoft that came out just before the first film's release, but video game tie-ins have rarely ever made an impact. Ubisoft wouldn't annouce the development of another Avatar game until 2017 with Frontiers of Pandora, which is slated to come out this year (it probably won't lol). This is all debatable though.

That said, I think it's better to compare Avatar's legacy in pop culture against a film like Titanic or something. If you want to compare it to a film series, maybe Tron/Tron Legacy is more appropriate?

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 13, 2022

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Vintersorg posted:

Plus everyone goes "Remember when they put the Jewish lady in brownface and called her 'Vasquez'?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That's cause you've been watching it annually for 25+ years.

Right, whereas I haven't felt the need to revisit Avatar once in over ten years.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Avatar's plot is just Dune with all the interesting elements removed, It's special effects were breaking edge, and the new one looks like it will follow suit, but sadly the remarkable CGI is wasted on some of the most boring designs ever comitted to film.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Fsmhunk posted:

Avatar's plot is just Dune with all the interesting elements removed, It's special effects were breaking edge, and the new one looks like it will follow suit, but sadly the remarkable CGI is wasted on some of the most boring designs ever comitted to film.

Avatar is Princess Mononoke for the lowest common denominator

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
looking forward to nausicaa of the valley of the water

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gresh posted:

Avatar is Princess Mononoke for the lowest common denominator

God that turtleneck must be suffocating you.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right, whereas I haven't felt the need to revisit Avatar once in over ten years.

I doubt Aliens would make even close to the $200mil Avatar took in its 2019 theaterical re-release.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Only sweaties latch onto classics like Aliens and continually harp on Avatar for being too mainstream or whatever. And I love Aliens as a sweaty myself, it's easily my favorite film by Cameron, followed by Terminator 2, and then Avatar. But yeah, you can't really deny Avatar's general appeal, to do so is just being obtuse imo.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a lot of people love to quote aliens, probably makes it easier to remember everyone's names too

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Theres a heap of ethnocentrism lumped in with a lot of peoples snobbish attitude towards Avatar and Ill always point to this video to demonstrate one aspect of why the film is and was so drat popular around the world.

"Lowest common denominator", right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mobWJFfV3I

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

I doubt Aliens would make even close to the $200mil Avatar took in its 2019 theaterical re-release.

so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres a heap of ethnocentrism lumped in with a lot of peoples snobbish attitude towards Avatar and Ill always point to this video to demonstrate one aspect of why the film is and was so drat popular around the world.

"Lowest common denominator", right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mobWJFfV3I

Lol, sick. Doing the same stuff as the Marvel Guys 'It's actually evil not to like our lovely movie.'