Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Sure thing.

Cool. If you're going to cherry-pick to try really hard to make it seem like I'm clutching pearls about this, you might want to re-read my following post cracking a joke about it, which you posted right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah i see, you weren't mad actually, in fact you were laughing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

ah i see, you weren't mad actually, in fact you were laughing

This is gonna blow your mind but I can think it was a dumb risk and also make fun of it at the same time.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the spot was cool as hell.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It was really insensitive to do any top rope moves in the tournament considering Owen bounced off the rope when he fell

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Shard posted:

gently caress that bad faith idiot

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
should've warned Martha beforehand that there was going to be a wrestling ring at the show so she could have stayed home for her own mental health

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Don't be surprised if your takes get interpreted as concern trolling, when they sound similar to those from twitter's Four Dorkmen of the Fedpocalypse

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

It was really insensitive to do any top rope moves in the tournament considering Owen bounced off the rope when he fell

He landed in the ring and died so it is intensely hosed up that they even brought a ring into the building with his widow in attendance, imho.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

WWE attempts at comedy mostly end in death. Owen knew the risks

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

This is gonna blow your mind but I can think it was a dumb risk and also make fun of it at the same time.

Probably should've had a show that was nothing but talking segments to avoid any possible situation where Martha could've seen an injury.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/creaturelives/status/1524757031571398658

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One guy says a thing is literally the same as something listed in public financial reports

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Knew this was coming

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that guy's right. he doesn't want to hear one more thing

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The Yakuza games rule and wrestlers in the Yakuza games rule.

Saudi Arabia is boring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, WWE would never do things organised crime groups do, like covering up a murder for an employee contractor...

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Cavauro posted:

that guy's right. he doesn't want to hear one more thing

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wrestling companies can have a little murder as a treat

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
The Ibushi discourse knows no bounds

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ibushi_Hanyuism/status/1524807231107223553

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I think I'd like to know more about how New Japan is funded by the Yakuza than one person's undetailed tweet before declaring it as bad as WWE openly sportswashing the journalist murdering extremist dictatorship.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/lifeafterkosovo/status/1524040546108461056

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

...Why do these people think scalpers would buy tickets that there'd be no demand for? Do they just not know what scalpers are/do?

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

I love this guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/lifeafterkosovo/status/1524781650936270848

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He replied to me to say I should have QTed instead of screenshotting and has not answered my question about how I am to QT two tweets at once. Given all I do is QT people (sometimes with screenshots of their tweets) it's a very funny thing to tell me to do.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The NJPW stuff in Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 was fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY! :jerkbag:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/themexicanfurby/status/1524775111961845761?s=21&t=KcJnRxhUj3inAI6_bs0Mxw

I love how everyone gets away with turning it into “does business with Saudi Arabia” instead of “gets paid to make propaganda for Saudi Arabia”

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://twitter.com/themexicanfurby/status/1524775111961845761?s=21&t=KcJnRxhUj3inAI6_bs0Mxw

I love how everyone gets away with turning it into “does business with Saudi Arabia” instead of “gets paid to make propaganda for Saudi Arabia”

lol yeah. There's a world of difference between making literal propaganda with a direct contact with the Kingdom and making a game with a company who has 5% of their shares owned by the Kingdom.

No ethical consumption under capitalism but they literally had a "Look, women can drive now" video sandwiched between matches in the first show.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 12, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rarity posted:

GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY! :jerkbag:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
love to not actually care or understand anything and operate entirely as a bad faith reactionary

yet you participate in society

https://twitter.com/CreatureLives/status/1524806815783034885

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The fuel in the AEW trucks? Refined from crude oil. A lot of it coming from Saudi. CHECKMATE AEWAILURES

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
love to have big "no ethical consumption" energy only when it's convenient to shield the most visibly bad actors but i actually think it's all good

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bartok posted:

The NJPW stuff in Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 was fun.

My realization from "oh what a funny coincidence he has that name" to "oh wow someone slipped their names into the game as an easter egg" to "no, those are the actual pro wrestlers" was a quick journey but a very fun one.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Trying posted:

WWE attempts at comedy mostly end in death. Owen knew the risks

yeah but usually its the crowd that dies

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Controversial, but I'm saying it:

Sarray's current gimmick is cool, it's not racist, and AEW should take notes on how to present its joshi, because AEW does nothing with them in terms of character development and promos.

I don't watch NXT 2.0, but I do watch the clips people post of Sarray since I watched her Japanese matches. For all the poo poo this sub was stirring with her new gimmick and "burial", she has subtitled promos and her recent skit with Andre Chase was funny. Her transformation entrance is unique, and mixes the genre of professional wrestling and anime, which is forward-thinking to capture new fans. With just a few clips, NXT has already given her more character work than AEW has even given its joshi.

Will also add that Io has been treated as a threat and respected worker via commentary, videos, and accomplishments, and is given skits to interact.

AEW could do much more with its joshi than the occasional Shida 1-minute English-speaking standard promo. Riho was a ratings monster in the early Dynamites but AEW never leveraged her as super-heroine, J-pop idol, or anime character by having her interact with other wrestlers in skits or having sports-entertainment storylines (outside of horrible ones where Dr. Baker said she doesn't speak English and a BTE cameo where Ford called her the b-word setting up the mixed tag match).

Joshi like Riho, Yuka, and Emi could have skits just to show some personality and get fans engaged with their characters arcs. Oh, wait, they don't have arcs, which is a problem.

When Emi had Lulu Pencil and Mei on Dark, they had to get over in the ring using comedy antics and via the commentators, but WWE would have given them scripted material backstage. This could have been done on Dark without fear of a ratings crash.

We can rightfully criticize WWE for being corny and overdoing it, but the most beloved and memorable wrestling scenes and character work happens outside of a match, see MJF and Eddie Kingston currently.

**tl;dr: NXT treats Sarray better than AEW treats Riho.**

This is a tough one because there's some stuff here I agree with but when they want to turn Riho into a j-pop idol or an anime character or a super-heroine I noped the gently caress out.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I don't watch NXT 2.0 is where I stopped because it utterly means they have no basis for their point. It's a straw man.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"AEW's biggest flaw with the joshis is that they don't repackage them as one of the three Japanese stereotypes I'm familiar with. Make Mei Suruga a sushi chef!"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It seems like E drones don't ever watch full shows of anything. They all just watch recap clips and base all their dumb opinions off those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

It seems like E drones don't ever watch full shows of anything. They all just watch recap clips and base all their dumb opinions off those

Why would they ever watch the show, Paul

They just like the backstage segments, the matches are boring