Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it depends on the coin. you can probably cash out millions in bitcoin or ethereum just fine but then you'll see some of these meme shitcoins with a market cap of a billion dollars with such little liquidity that one person cashing out 300k crashes the price because nobody is actually buying

yep, I assumed we were talking about luna pre-crash which was one of the largest with plenty of buyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

i googled pegging and don't want that at all.

you got ape juice to slurp boy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
poo poo like tether means that theoretical liquidity has absolutely no connection to market cap

like if stablecoins were *actually* just used for their apparent purpose (skirting around aml laws) then...well, crypto market caps would still be bullshit, but they'd be closer to the kind of bullshit that like a stock market cap is. like you still wouldn't be able to extract the full market cap by selling all the stuff, but there would be an actual observable relationship between the two. but since exchanges have incentive to keep tweaking the price because they make their money as a fraction of the "value" of the transaction....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wait you can do that

just stop a blockchain

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Alan Smithee posted:

wait you can do that

just stop a blockchain

grifters wisely realized that today's legion of moron crypto investors don't actually care about the decentralized libertarian bits of bit coin and will happily buy anything with the word "blockchain" on it even if it's entirely centralized.

if your "blockchain" is actually 5 servers in your basement instead of a distributed trustless system with no one owner, you can do whatever you want with it. plus it's so much cheaper to run with lower transaction fees!!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

wait you can do that

just stop a blockchain

who’s gonna stop you, the fed?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao just remembered the guy who was running an exchange on an Amazon EC2 instance with termination protection turned off, and he went to restart it and *poof* went the exchange along with all the coins.

good times, good times

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao just remembered the guy who was running an exchange on an Amazon EC2 instance with termination protection turned off, and he went to restart it and *poof* went the exchange along with all the coins.

good times, good times

this is something i would do (minus the running an exchange part) so i respect it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

that's all true and i'm guessing the sharp rise in LNG + coal prices also made it rapidly unaffordable for the jerks that bought up decommissioned power plants to run their dumb mining rigs. i really wish NY's moratorium legislation spawns a bunch of copycats, but lol that only happens with poo poo that tramples on people, not ~markets~

I wish NY would backtrack and bring Indian Point back online.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
did number go down again?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1524815320619294723

the secret sauce turned out to be slurp juice :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CommieGIR posted:

I wish NY would backtrack and bring Indian Point back online.

1000% agreed pal

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the secret sauce is fraud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's cum

cum backed coins

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the secret sauce is literally from mcdonalds, so they can't talk about it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

has anyone made szechuancoin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i will never reveal the Big Mac secret

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

it's cum

cum backed coins

premature devaluation

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

good times, good times

i still think about that from time to time. i'm still amazed at the fact that i apparently read more documentation and have a better understanding of AWS than the people running something ostensibly worth multiple millions, and the only thing i've ever actually done in AWS is setup a locked down centos instance i use as a private git repo and an offsite backup for important documents

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i still think about that from time to time. i'm still amazed at the fact that i apparently read more documentation and have a better understanding of AWS than the people running something ostensibly worth multiple millions, and the only thing i've ever actually done in AWS is setup a locked down centos instance i use as a private git repo and an offsite backup for important documents

newcomers to crypto missed some absolutely incredible things

all lost, like tears in the rain.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how is it possible to be this bad at math

Lamebot posted:

The numbers don't lie. Pack it up, mathailures.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

how is it possible to be this bad at math

it can only fall 4% now ahahaha owned all you whales that cashed out :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

to be fair, those people were at the time primarily teenagers who spent all their time on the bitcointalk forums and had no practical experience with anything whatsoever

also, mark karpeles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the entire bitcoin market infrastructure was people too young and too stupid to know better, who bought into the SV startup myth and believed they could run a multi-million dollar financial service from their parent's basement.

the people nowadays are also complete idiots, but with shitloads of VC cash and the complete inability to learn anything at all from those who came before them

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Zamujasa posted:

premature devaluation

mods???

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the entire bitcoin market infrastructure was people too young and too stupid to know better, who bought into the stupid SV startup myth and believed they could run a multi-million dollar financial service from their parent's basement.

goddamn the lols were so good

raising some 40k to redo the bitcointalk forums, that were going to be perfect from day one because needing to test beta software meant you had hosed up

bitcoiners trying to mansplain bitcoin to sex workers and getting completely owned

the bitcointalk forums getting backdoored and had Cosby poo poo all over the place because they literally allowed anybody to write some of the JS and a goon took up the task.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've tried to explain that i've been watching this poo poo for over a decade, to people who are just now "getting into crypto", and that the reason i don't have any is because of what i've seen.

oh lord, the things i've seen

i always wish them luck though

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
too bad Cosby turned out to be a creep, this poo poo was amazing when it went down

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

wasn't there a gif that purported to be converting the site visitor's bitscoin to cosbycoins? i wonder how many of them lost their poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

kw0134 posted:

wasn't there a gif that purported to be converting the site visitor's bitscoin to cosbycoins? i wonder how many of them lost their poo poo.

lol yeah, I remember ppl were panicking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kw0134 posted:

the site is a great repository of bitcoin lols from years past

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: the secret sauce turned out to be slurp juice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

this is a pretty decent video with some speculation on the Luna / Terra attack

https://youtu.be/Inr5t0Q_JGg

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

the site is a great repository of bitcoin lols from years past

lmao yeah, they took the forums down, said they fixed it, and poo poo immediately went Cosby as soon as they brought them back up.

can't remember the goon's name who did it though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i've tried to explain that i've been watching this poo poo for over a decade, to people who are just now "getting into crypto", and that the reason i don't have any is because of what i've seen.

oh lord, the things i've seen

i always wish them luck though

i remember reading yospos back when asics first became a thing and butterfly labs was sending out just the worst poo poo to buttcoiners

gently caress how long ago was that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

this is a pretty decent video with some speculation on the Luna / Terra attack

https://youtu.be/Inr5t0Q_JGg

lol what attack

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i remember reading yospos back when asics first became a thing and butterfly labs was sending out just the worst poo poo to buttcoiners

even better, they were making them and "testing" them by mining bitcoin and by the time they got to customers they were obsolete.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

They would "burn them in" by mining bitcoin for themselves for months with hardware people had paid for, then finally deliver it as having passed quality checks when the difficulty went up making the hardware significantly less valuable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

9 years ago, friend.

e: excellent username/post combo

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mrmcd posted:

They would "burn them in" by mining bitcoin for themselves for months with hardware people had paid for, then finally deliver it as having passed quality checks when the difficulty went up making the hardware significantly less valuable.

it turns out the only reason to sell shovels in a gold rush is because you've already used them to mine until they're dull