Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I enjoyed MCU movies all the way through Endgame but then I didn't keep up with the Disney+ shows or any of the movies after that. Now I'm probably permanently out of the loop on the MCU because there's no way I'm doing that much homework just to watch a movie that looks mildly entertaining, and with each movie and series I skip, the amount of homework necessary to "catch up" gets bigger, and I'm even less likely to try.

It's kinda like Kingdom Hearts in that way. Maybe I'd enjoy KH3, but there's no way I'm going to find out, because I haven't played a KH game since 2 and there's a huge amount of completely crucial-to-the-story games to play before I'm caught up enough for 3. It's just not gonna happen once I'm that far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Harrow posted:

I enjoyed MCU movies all the way through Endgame but then I didn't keep up with the Disney+ shows or any of the movies after that. Now I'm probably permanently out of the loop on the MCU because there's no way I'm doing that much homework just to watch a movie that looks mildly entertaining, and with each movie and series I skip, the amount of homework necessary to "catch up" gets bigger, and I'm even less likely to try.

It's kinda like Kingdom Hearts in that way. Maybe I'd enjoy KH3, but there's no way I'm going to find out, because I haven't played a KH game since 2 and there's a huge amount of completely crucial-to-the-story games to play before I'm caught up enough for 3. It's just not gonna happen once I'm that far behind.

100% the same. I was fine with keeping up with the MCU with just the movies, but I can't do the movies and all the shows. I belive Loki and Wandavision also are like super important storywise, but apparently even shows like What If have stuff that's important? I just can't keep up with it

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

The cinema is one place where the US is utterly dominant, and has been pretty much since the inception of the art form.

I'm starting to think you don't know as much about film as you think...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nope, I'm very well informed little homie

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess if you ignore Soviet, French, Japanese and Korean movies you might have an argument.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Has anyone uploaded a YouTube video recently? Weird middleaged Disney guy, six figure Patreon leftist, Ben Shapiro's hot sister? Anyone at all?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Has anyone uploaded a YouTube video recently? Weird middleaged Disney guy, six figure Patreon leftist, Ben Shapiro's hot sister? Anyone at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW6GsM0s7sk

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLD4etZN7s

I experienced this live, never felt such victory that we managed to get through the little ice maze. Also this edited down video does not truly show just how long we were stuck on the slide

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 12, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, hating superhero movies seems like a miserable experience from reading this thread. Just constantly getting upset whenever someone even vaguely mentions one. I’m glad I like them

Remember, it's not the superhero movies specifically that're the problem. It's that they're all marketed like Hercules back in 1997 with a carnival and parade and they take over movie theaters like the Super Bowl but three times a year.

Think about how many things you're forced to be aware of. Elden Ring is probably the only thing that's as big in everyone's mind now with this being two years after FF7 Remake part 1 came out. Imagine if Nintendo was spending 70 billion dollars a year to shove Pokemon marketing in your face at every opportunity and you could name 700 of the 905 Pokemon despite not playing the games yourself. Also every game is a Pokemon clone and there's no more sex or violence or R-rated games anymore because Pokemon's buying all the shelf space in stores across the country for months on end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don’t have ads on YouTube and I don’t have cable so I never see superhero marketing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Have you ever wondered why in the admittedly small speedrunning community for the Sierra On-Line King's Quest nobody much ever tries to do King's Quest III? You have! Good, that's a very specific question and I approve of your desire to learn of adventure game esoterica. Here is the video on why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tR2ULoUVQ0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Avatar seems to be happening again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Gx8wiNbs8

Time will tell if this one gets Back to the Future memory holed or not.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Remember, it's not the superhero movies specifically that're the problem. It's that they're all marketed like Hercules back in 1997 with a carnival and parade and they take over movie theaters like the Super Bowl but three times a year.

Think about how many things you're forced to be aware of. Elden Ring is probably the only thing that's as big in everyone's mind now with this being two years after FF7 Remake part 1 came out. Imagine if Nintendo was spending 70 billion dollars a year to shove Pokemon marketing in your face at every opportunity and you could name 700 of the 905 Pokemon despite not playing the games yourself. Also every game is a Pokemon clone and there's no more sex or violence or R-rated games anymore because Pokemon's buying all the shelf space in stores across the country for months on end.

Finally, paradise

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Remember when this thread said that Sonic wasn't popular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VADcCNO5b0

(Has vomiting on it so dont watch it if you're sensitive to that)

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 12, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s no nikacado

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Can we just take a moment to appreciate how the word "Mukbang" sounds exactly as off-putting as the concept it represents. Whatever secret council comes up with new words in Korea did an excellent job with that one...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how the word "Mukbang" sounds exactly as off-putting as the concept it represents. Whatever secret council comes up with new words in Korea did an excellent job with that one...
Sure, if you pronounce it like an American would, it sounds disgusting.
That probably says more about American English than Korean, though.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Superhero movies are mostly bad but I don't really think about them unless I'm reading a discussion of them. I am jealous of people that like them though it'd be cool if good movies I like were the dominant form.

Nah, it'd just end up being a sea of samey, mediocre-at-best imitators grabbing for cash, drowning out the actual good stuff.

DaysBefore posted:

Miniminuteman did a very :eng99: reaction to a very bad snapchat "Mysterious Finds" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrtjPtmkOek

Also here are some ducks who are baffled by the presence of their duckling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEnNXxth4k

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

KingKalamari posted:

meokbang is a portmanteau of the characters for eating and broadcast, so its literally just korean for 'eatcast' :eng101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, if you pronounce it like an American would, it sounds disgusting.
That probably says more about American English than Korean, though.

I hear that its supposed to be pronounced something like 'mookbong' but I'm not entirely sure.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

thetoughestbean posted:

American culture is as rich and deep as any other country’s. Americans produce some good culture!

this is actually objectively not true but for good reason: america as we know it is only 300-ish years old and we trampled the native culture to death. as a result we now have the worst mass produced culture in the world

fun hater
May 24, 2009

that said, america does have its own flavor it brings to art and theres no other country on earth that does kitsch like america does. which seems like a mean thing to say but i love kitsch so much and it breaks my heart that roadside attractions, the greatest source of both americana and kitsch, are dying

e: when i think of uniquely (modern) american cultural arts i think of the entirety of the vegas strip in the 1950s, imagineering, comic books, hollywood movies (esp the western) and "prestige" television (i dont mean this disparagingly, im just not sure if "drama" covers it lol)

fun hater fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 12, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

KingKalamari posted:

honestly muckbang sounds like a tasty scottish dish to me. probably involving eggs and meat.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ro-K3X2zE4

Here's a big boy going for a groom

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

...This thread broke me. I wasn't expecting a wholesome video with that description.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish to ride him across the countryside and have magical adventures.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fun hater posted:

this is actually objectively not true but for good reason: america as we know it is only 300-ish years old and we trampled the native culture to death. as a result we now have the worst mass produced culture in the world
It might only be 300 years old, which isn't old in comparison to a lot of other countries - but Germany is even younger, so it all depends on definition.
Usania, for all its problems, is still a great mixing bowl of cultures - so the culture it does have is a sprawling beautiful mess.

fun hater posted:

that said, america does have its own flavor it brings to art and theres no other country on earth that does kitsch like america does. which seems like a mean thing to say but i love kitsch so much and it breaks my heart that roadside attractions, the greatest source of both americana and kitsch, are dying

e: when i think of uniquely (modern) american cultural arts i think of the entirety of the vegas strip in the 1950s, imagineering, comic books, hollywood movies (esp the western) and "prestige" television (i dont mean this disparagingly, im just not sure if "drama" covers it lol)
I'm a big fan of the art deco and kitsch aestetic as well, and it saddens me to hear that it's dying.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

America has a lot of neat culture it's just that most of that culture has either been poo-pooed because it's something disgusting poor people do, or it's been so thoroughly made mainstream that people don't think of it as American culture. I'm thinking like bluegrass music and soul food for the former, rock-n-roll and jazz for the latter.

It's also hard to see culture if you're living in it because culture is basically "what we all do," so to you it's just normal.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Puppy Time posted:

America has a lot of neat culture it's just that most of that culture has either been poo-pooed because it's something disgusting poor people do, or it's been so thoroughly made mainstream that people don't think of it as American culture. I'm thinking like bluegrass music and soul food for the former, rock-n-roll and jazz for the latter.

these were also invented by black people IIRC (not american)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry are you saying black people aren't American

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Violet_Sky posted:

This thread is incredible.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
:wtc:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Wait hold on were you trying to say in that parenthetical that you weren't clear on the origin of stuff like jazz and stuff because you aren't American so you weren't really sure?

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021
:gas:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm a big fan of the art deco and kitsch aestetic as well, and it saddens me to hear that it's dying.

it turns out that when people don't have time off, the government doesn't repair highways, gas prices skyrocket and no one has any free time or money, the great american tradition of the roadtrip is no longer an option for almost all people

e: ahahah lmfao what a foot in mouth moment

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Whoa

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

Wait hold on were you trying to say in that parenthetical that you weren't clear on the origin of stuff like jazz and stuff because you aren't American so you weren't really sure?

i believe they meant this and it was just worded accidentally in the funniest way possible

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Violet_Sky posted:

Gas... or goldmine?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

translation: these were also invented by black people [as another reason for not being immediately thought of as "american" culture] iirc (not american) [if i remember correctly, i am not american]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Violet_Sky is not American :)