Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I’m about to get back into 1.13. What’s the best way to play this for a first playthrough? Does the OP still apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Check out the flugeunte section on bears pit to get rundowns of most of the wacky new features

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

While I like the new inventory system and AP system, a LOT of the add on features should be turned off. Enemy arty strikes are MEAN and while, yeah, the enemy probs would have in-direct fire support, it still loving sucks to have half your squad just wiped out without being able to do anything about it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man, back when I played the only unfair poo poo to turn off was the Drassen counterattack.

I just wanna play dress up with a billion bits of LBE and run around with 100AP. Never found too much difficulty with NTCH either.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 10, 2022

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

there’s apparently a new setting where mercs that die just go into a “downed” state instead which I sort of want to try bc every time I play this game I feel compelled to save scum when sometime I just want to have treat some dudes as disposable Xcom style

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

D34THROW posted:

Excuse me, do not refer to Raven like that, she is a badass police sniper and always manned my .50 cal suppressed subsonic because why not explode heads silently from a map away sniper rifle :colbert:

Isn't Raven a night fighter? I always had a squad who all had that perk for close up night missions

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Isn't Raven a night fighter? I always had a squad who all had that perk for close up night missions

In the unmodded game she has Night Ops and Auto Weapons.
In 1.13 it's Night Ops, Auto Weapons and Marksman.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
She was one I would hire every game.

Night ops and auto are probably the best skills, her stats are good, and she inst too expensive

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Let's face it, half the reason I loved 1.13 was that I could tacticool my mercs up with tricked-out FN P90s with 4.7mm AET rounds and matching Spectra everything.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I'm having a rough time finishing up the drassen mine, even at night. There's an 8 man unit the next sector over which I'm pretty sure is reinforcing the nerds in the mine sector. I just get overwhelmed with bodies. What should I do?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Explosives? Like, source some land mines and sneakily mine the approach they reinforce from. Attack the other sector first and get rid of those guys? Wait for them to patrol away?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

Explosives? Like, source some land mines and sneakily mine the approach they reinforce from. Attack the other sector first and get rid of those guys? Wait for them to patrol away?

I tried to attack the sector those guys are coming from during the day and it looks like I'm getting owned. I'm running a Machinegunner/Night Ops IMP, Raven, Grunty, and Ira. Ira suck as usual so its really the first 3 fighting. I feel like starting over and having a better selection of mercs might be better. What do you guys think?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can you still train militia in the captured sectors of the town and have them assist with the attack?

E: Never not get Fox and have her go all John Woo on fools.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

Can you still train militia in the captured sectors of the town and have them assist with the attack?

E: Never not get Fox and have her go all John Woo on fools.

Yes I can. Think I'm gonna do that even though they aren't that useful.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Attacking the mine with like 12 militia. Even in broad daylight this is going alot smoother. Gonna need to conquer the airport again but should be good after that. What's the best way to keep my trio of mercs funded once I've taken drassen? Push on for more mines and more towns?

e: we did it fam!

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 12, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, grab some more mines and keep that money rolling in. You can sell looted equipment for cash infusions, too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

Yeah, grab some more mines and keep that money rolling in. You can sell looted equipment for cash infusions, too.

well looks like they reinvaded and took the mines/fragged my militia guarding it. Would a merc thats a good teacher let me stack up enough dudes fast enough to avoid this situation?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

well looks like they reinvaded and took the mines/fragged my militia guarding it. Would a merc thats a good teacher let me stack up enough dudes fast enough to avoid this situation?

Maybe not hold off the counterattack 100%, but they'll certainly attrit the attacking forces to a reasonable level for you to take on. It either costs money to train or maintain a militia, I can't remember which, so be cautious about that. You may also be able to intercept the counterattack forces (IIRC they come in several groups that converge) and defeat them piecemeal, or at least take out a few squads to make it easier on the militia.

Personally I just disable the Drassen counterattack cause it used to be hilariously overtuned.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

Maybe not hold off the counterattack 100%, but they'll certainly attrit the attacking forces to a reasonable level for you to take on. It either costs money to train or maintain a militia, I can't remember which, so be cautious about that. You may also be able to intercept the counterattack forces (IIRC they come in several groups that converge) and defeat them piecemeal, or at least take out a few squads to make it easier on the militia.

Personally I just disable the Drassen counterattack cause it used to be hilariously overtuned.

i turned off the drassen counterattack. Regular groups came in and swept in though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well that's a bummer, but in the case of normal patrols, yes a decent party of militia should be able to hold them off. Doesn't Ira come with a training trait, or am I misremembering?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

Well that's a bummer, but in the case of normal patrols, yes a decent party of militia should be able to hold them off. Doesn't Ira come with a training trait, or am I misremembering?

Ira doesn’t train unfortunately.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Arrath posted:

With the latest 1.13 you have to teach her leadership to like 30 or 35 before she can start training militia. Then her perk kicks in.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ira counts as an arulco rebel so gets a bonus to training once her leadership is high enough to actually do so.

Lol beaten

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
How do people play 1.13 now? I remember trying to run it on Win10 but the performance was awful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Missing Name posted:

With the latest 1.13 you have to teach her leadership to like 30 or 35 before she can start training militia. Then her perk kicks in.

Good to know!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Thompsons posted:

How do people play 1.13 now? I remember trying to run it on Win10 but the performance was awful.

It works fine on windows 10 for me but I had to use some fix to get past a black screen.

This was the fix (goes into ja2 directory). https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases/latest/download/cnc-ddraw.zip

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Ok I got Raven, Buns, and my IMP Merc (Auto Weapons/Scouting/Night Ops). And they are able to handle any groups short of one that gets reinforced by an adjacent sector. I'm not too sure what to do besides maybe start my guy as a radio operator as well as a night ops dude. That way he can jam reinforcement calls or whatever. I'd like to play this straight up though and don't remember the early game of JA2 being this difficult. What gives? Anyone do a playthrough recently that doesn't mind guiding me to victory on this?

e: also how do i make it so the troops drop all their poo poo on death. I figure it'll be more realistic of a guerilla war simulator if I'm getting well equipped based on enemy losses, and probably hold me over till bobby ray's has good enough stuff for me to purchase.

nm drop_all is the command for that

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 13, 2022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I feel like i remember there be a setting that essentially made it so that the towns would just have a seemingly endless stream of attacks of them so my entire campaign boiled down to defending Drassan.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Wrr posted:

I feel like i remember there be a setting that essentially made it so that the towns would just have a seemingly endless stream of attacks of them so my entire campaign boiled down to defending Drassan.

i dont remember that being a thing

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I remember there was a setting that enabled Drassen-like counter-attacks for the whole campaign, but IIRC I didn't notice anything different when I tried it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I tried that once. I settled on the strategy of capturing towns other than Drassen, and only getting the airport when I wanted supply runs. It was a fuckin brutal game of cat and mouse. More like an insurgency, I guess.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, in later versions there's a brutal counterattack for *every* town. and the "massive drassen counterattack" is a seperate setting from this, lol

you really really have to go through every single setting in 1.13, which is a gigantic pain in the rear end. which is why i got it set up one time and i'll never touch it again unless i'm forced to

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Which is why I personally prefer to play vanilla, to be honest. Or that old version with just some fixes for modern systems and a bunch of interface improvements

I dont care about thousands of different guns either

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But… but… but…

P90 AET to cheese the Orta facility!? :derp:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now you're just trolling :troll:

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Look if I can't have twelve different AK variations with stat differences that are so minor as to be inconsequential... am I really playing the game?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

D34THROW posted:

Now you're just trolling :troll:

Im not american, I dont even know half of the guns in vanilla

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
still getting owned trying to take drassen mine. Clearing the airport and the town sectors aren't a problem for me, its the drat mine. The adjacent sector always reinforces and its troops beeline for mine in the night. It always ends in a last stand near the initial point of contact. My guys die screaming after initial successes. I'm not too sure how to play this since I got a week time limit before most of my mercs leave me alone with my IMP and Ira. Should I just hit San Mona next? Is there a way to cheese it with the perfect IMP Night ops build? Let me know yall.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Abandon drassen for the time being, grab the two sector town in the NW for starting income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Arrath posted:

Abandon drassen for the time being, grab the two sector town in the NW for starting income.

Hell, I tend to just go for Chitzena first, then Cambria and THEN finally Drassen. It's somehow less agonizing then Drassen first.