Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As a Black Mage, I frequently curse Thal’s Balls.

Staying in mid is a good hint though thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I haven't checked the exact edges of the Balls, but I suspect there's exactly enough room for a :coal: black mage to drop Leylines at the dead center of the map and dance around the AoEs in it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Just getting around to trying Reaper, I really like how the rotation feels at 70! I also really like True North, never having played a melee class before.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Thundarr posted:

On the other hand it took me a bit longer than it should have to realize that the BALLS phase on the last boss is a lot easier if you stay close than it is if you're far away from mid.

If you're doing that phase right as a melee class, you should be close enough to keep attacking all the way through the ball phase, i.e. pretty close to the outside of the targeting ring. So use that as a reference for safe spots.

The hardest bits of Thal's Balls are 1) staying out of range of the very first ball drop and 2) staying out of range of the first drop when they start dropping one by one counterclockwise around the arena. I've never had trouble with any of the in-between running around bits.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
True North is one of the few role actions that gets a primo no modifier keyspot, rather than shift + key or ctrl + key or alt + key

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Question, Reaper is like Dancer in that you save up charges for a big burst phase and not just whenever you get 50 soul gage do one phantom attack, right?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Correct. Save what you can without overcapping for burst windows.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Question, Reaper is like Dancer in that you save up charges for a big burst phase and not just whenever you get 50 soul gage do one phantom attack, right?

Not exactly. You got two gauges, Soul and Shroud. Normal attacks (and stuff like soul Slice) give you Soul gauge, which every 50 lets you do a ghost attack followed by a weaponskill (Gibbet/Gallows).

THOSE give you Shroud gauge, which when it gets to 50 lets you go into Shroud Mode, and gives you 5 stacks of Lemure Shroud, which allow you to do the attacks in shroud form (Cross Reaping/Grim Reaping). You always have those 5 when you go into shroud form.

Spending lemure shroud in enshroud mode gives you void shroud stacks, and THOSE you use for Lemure Slice/Styche, so your enshrouded phase at 90 looks like Cross Reaping (consumes 1 Lemure Shroud pip, gives 1 Void Shroud pip) -> Grim Reaping (same) -> Lemure Slice (uses the 2 void shrouds you got) ->Cross Reaping -> Grim Reaping -> Lemure Slice -> Communio to burn your last lemure shroud pip, go back to normal.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not exactly. You got two gauges, Soul and Shroud. Normal attacks (and stuff like soul Slice) give you Soul gauge, which every 50 lets you do a ghost attack followed by a weaponskill (Gibbet/Gallows).

THOSE give you Shroud gauge, which when it gets to 50 lets you go into Shroud Mode, and gives you 5 stacks of Lemure Shroud, which allow you to do the attacks in shroud form (Cross Reaping/Grim Reaping). You always have those 5 when you go into shroud form.

Spending lemure shroud in enshroud mode gives you void shroud stacks, and THOSE you use for Lemure Slice/Styche, so your enshrouded phase at 90 looks like Cross Reaping (consumes 1 Lemure Shroud pip, gives 1 Void Shroud pip) -> Grim Reaping (same) -> Lemure Slice (uses the 2 void shrouds you got) ->Cross Reaping -> Grim Reaping -> Lemure Slice -> Communio to burn your last lemure shroud pip, go back to normal.

That's a lot to take in, thank you! Hopefully I'll get into the groove level by level. 72 now, just got arcane circle!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
DPS classes get too complex for me to care to learn. Tank crew 4 life.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PROTIP: Don't put Arcane Circle next to your movement buttons, or there's a real risk of trying to hit it to start a raid, hitting your backstep instead, and immediately running into the killwall and dying a second into the pull on P3N. Learn from my failure.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you'll get the last piece of your core cycle at 80, which is also where the job started making sense to me. 82-90 just add on some additional cool stuff.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the goal of reaper is to build up Shroud gauge (the green bar) using the soul-gauge spending moves (red bar). the cooldowns of all your tools line it up so that you will basically be able to enshroud every 60 seconds or so. it's pretty consistent.

enshroud is just a 9 second timeframe where you hit the same shroud buttons in the same order every time. but its pretty quick with a 1.5 sec GCD and it makes fun noises and looks cool.

keep your debuff up, use whatever soul-gauge tools you have up, hit 1-2-3 otherwise. build shroud, enshroud. repeat

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome tips y'all, I really appreciate it!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you also get the level 80 skill from your class quests so it won't show up in bozja, unlike the level 80 skills for most classes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yes at the level that you are at, no at 88. Once you get enhanced arcane circle, using plentiful harvest will give you 50 shroud to be able to enshroud on command during your opener. Outside of that, all of your important cooldowns line up and they all give you an assortment of resources so there isn't much reason to sit on them, given how weirdly tight the arcane circle window is. There's a double shroud opener but ehhhhhhh.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

:yeah:

Did PLD 1-90 first and now I'm leveling DRK, it's a good time though I'm rapidly learning that I can't be as reckless as I'm used to. At least not until I get Living Dead.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

cheetah7071 posted:

The point of the hallways isn't making it easier on the devs, it's that nobody will ever go into an optimal room so it's just pointless

I’m just saying layout variety would be nice. Again, like Haukke Manor or Swallow’s Compass if I’m remembering correctly. The actual objectives don’t need to change. If it’s not worth effort then I’ll just keep it as a non-dealbreaker wish; the fights are still fun and varied.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I prefer the linear hallways, but I like them to have stuff going on in the background around the hallways so it gives the illusion that the dungeon is bigger than said hallway.

This is obviously easier to do with outdoor dungeons than like... caves, but my fix for that would be to have holes in the walls you can see through out to other parts of the cave system or whatever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Swallow's Compass still is a pretty linear hallway. Sure it stats as a big loop, but you only have one way to go at the start, and you have to go all the way around until the end until the boss door opens - it's as linear as everything else.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the dungeons where a boss is an rear end in a top hat following you around until they can be bothered to fight.

Will Endwalker go on sale this summer?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

I like the dungeons where a boss is an rear end in a top hat following you around until they can be bothered to fight.

That loving griffin.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It depends what the dungeon is but I would like some variety beyond walking in a straight line. A dungeon should feel like a dungeon, with rooms and poo poo to explore. Even if everyone immediately finds an 'optimal' way to do things the illusion of choice is nice.

Give me an alliance raid where you can explore a wider space and choose which order to fight at least some of the bosses in.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah that's what we need when 24 random people are thrown in together - choices in where to go.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The problem with illusion of choice is when you have 3 veterans who know the way and the 1 noob who wants to peak down "that" hallway.

Something like Deep dungeons kind of serve the exploratory aspect where no-one knows the way, or being a little lost is to be expected. I feel like something outside the norm could better serve that itch then dungeons and alliance raids.

An alliance raid where 24 people need to agree on a boss would be hell lmao.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the illusion of choice is not nice once you understand its an illusion. quite literally in the name.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the illusion of choice is not nice once you understand its an illusion. quite literally in the name.

I mean every single dialog prompt is an illusion of choice, but they're fun to participate in.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
not really, because other characters at least react differently. often the funny dialogue choices lead to funny dialogue in return, which is an actual choice, though the end result is naturally not that different because it cant be. the difference between walking down an empty hallway with nothing in it vs not is actually 0 though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I enjoy reaper, my only problem with it is that I keep forgetting to keep the debuff up because I am bad and dumb.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like that you can stack it up to 60 seconds to give you a bit more breathing room, because I too am bad at counting to 30. I wish DoTs would work that way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I like that you can stack it up to 60 seconds to give you a bit more breathing room, because I too am bad at counting to 30. I wish DoTs would work that way.

I think all the ones where that's even helpful do work that way?

The classes that don't work that way are the ones where buff/debuff duration are core driving factors in how the rotation plays out (e.g., paladin, dragoon)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
None of the DoT effects do. Probably because it would allow weird stuff with buff and debuff snapshotting and just refreshing that.

NIN, DRK, WAR can all increase their buff timers without overwriting though.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 13, 2022

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Any have any advice or suggestions for playing a WAR in PvP, specifically in CC?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2022

KoB
May 1, 2009

sassassin posted:

same. me and my small brain gonna be up here getting punched in the face.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Any have any advice or suggestions for playing a WAR in PvP, specifically in CC?

-damage reduction and guard should be used when you're healthy, not when you're about to die. the goal is to defend when you're likely to be targeted, and if you're closer to the enemy team than anyone else on your team, you're probably going to be targeted
-never stun dive into the enemy team. use your chain pull to isolate an enemy for the rest of your team to focus on. even in low ranks, people will target isolated enemies because it's simply easier to target them. you have more power as warrior than any other class to point out targets to kill, but if you dive in at the start of every fight you're just going to die 1v5 every time.
-your limit break will cancel guards that are already active, so there's no need to try to pre-empt enemy players. wait until they're actively guarding at a time that's inconvenient for you, and limit break reactively instead of proactively. if there's a good dragoon or summoner on your team, you can wait until their limit breaks are available to combo with them
-on the turbulence map (cloud 9), you can guard to prevent being knocked up by the turbulence. if you only play on cloud 9, you should be able to reach gold rank just by knowing this fact and paying attention to the turbulence timer on the left.

last but not least, stay on the loving point! it's extremely rare that it's a bad idea to contest the point. any movement against your team's direction that you can prevent increases your odds of being able to properly capitalize if you can get momentum on your side later.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Any tips for ast in pvp? It's very fun and i want to be better without swapping to whm

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Any tips for ast in pvp? It's very fun and i want to be better without swapping to whm

draw the spire a lot and make me, specifically me, sad when the dragoon on the enemy team gets limit break thirty seconds before i do

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

CobiWann posted:

Post a video of an average game where you lose so people can see what you're doing. If you're stuck at bronze 3 you're probably doing something fundamentally wrong like taking forever to target the correct person, or getting out of position and dying a lot, and people can't tell you what that thing is unless they see you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

CJ posted:

Post a video of an average game where you lose so people can see what you're doing. If you're stuck at bronze 3 you're probably doing something fundamentally wrong like taking forever to target the correct person, or getting out of position and dying a lot, and people can't tell you what that thing is unless they see you play.

oh yeah follow up question how the gently caress do you target people clicking on people in this game sucks