Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

this is also why ebikes are bad

compared to regular bikes, yes, but their net effect is still pretty drat good if it's used as a substitute for ICE or EV car trips

also obviously most people aren't in good enough shape to be able to use a regular bike for everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

compared to regular bikes, yes, but their net effect is still pretty drat good if it's used as a substitute for ICE or EV car trips

also obviously most people aren't in good enough shape to be able to use a regular bike for everything

If you are in a city like Seattle or San Francisco and don't have calves of steel, bicycling in a lot of the neighborhoods really isn't viable, especially with cargo.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

they arent

and the re problem is batteries are in everyrhing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

If you are in a city like Seattle or San Francisco and don't have calves of steel, bicycling in a lot of the neighborhoods really isn't viable, especially with cargo.

just get a triple

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Electric bicycles are a basic part of providing universal accessibility. If you want to complain about them try the I hate batteries thread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you're going to say lithium is nonrenewable then there is no "renewable" technology lol. lithium can at least theoretically be profitably recycled
correct, there is not any actual renewable technology. the closest would be trees but then we still have to burn fossil fuels to drive big haul guzzler, use fossil fuels to chainsaw or, then fossil fuels to haul it to a mill to plane and then use fossil fuels to transport it to endpoint

lithium is not really recyclable as ir is now. it’s far cheaper to clip and murder millions of people in Bolivia for it. there’s some theoretical recycling using a metric fuckton of energy but that energy would come from an ungodly amount of fossil fuels

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

you dudes need to check out state street in Santa Barbara these days, cars have been banned since COVID on the busiest thoroughfare and electric bikes are the dominant mode of transit. popular with the tourists and locals

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ebikes are the best!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Those homes are built right up on the sidewalk, on regular streets instead of the Lovecraftian layouts you see in America. I would also guess that those houses probably don't all have two-car garages, though that's hard to tell from that view.

Something that I have always wondered: is there any way to even get rid of cul-de-sacs organically? They would pretty much have to be torn up and replaced whole, right? They seem like they would be actively hostile to building denser development.

What has happened to older suburbs in cities like Austin or Dallas as the city grew? The suburbs that, I would assume, would be changed to denser development as the city grew due to location? Did the presence of cul-de-sacs just drive development further out? Someone somewhere had to have looked into this at some point, right?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

correct, there is not any actual renewable technology. the closest would be trees but then we still have to burn fossil fuels to drive big haul guzzler, use fossil fuels to chainsaw or, then fossil fuels to haul it to a mill to plane and then use fossil fuels to transport it to endpoint

lithium is not really recyclable as ir is now. it’s far cheaper to clip and murder millions of people in Bolivia for it. there’s some theoretical recycling using a metric fuckton of energy but that energy would come from an ungodly amount of fossil fuels

remember when we were kids and the consensus was to ask for plastic at the grocery store to save the trees? i remember. pretty interesting stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Something that I have always wondered: is there any way to even get rid of cul-de-sacs organically? They would pretty much have to be torn up and replaced whole, right? They seem like they would be actively hostile to building denser development.
In an imaginary non-lovely country with cul de sacs you could probably at least start to improve them by automatically rezoning them to allow corner stores and more dense residential buildings combined with requiring that rights of way be given to the city for walking paths as a condition for redevelopment.

You would need an army of engineers working full time to try to reconnect them for pedestrians/bikes.

In reality you probably can't force people to do stuff like that in the US though.

mystes has issued a correction as of 00:36 on May 13, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

they arent

and the re problem is batteries are in everyrhing

how are you going to argue that using an ebike for a trip isn't any better than using an ICE vehicle

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

God I hate cars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

remember when we were kids and the consensus was to ask for plastic at the grocery store to save the trees? i remember. pretty interesting stuff.

lmao yeah

Fitzy Fitz posted:

God I hate cars

lmao yeah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

renewable really just means sustainable (well technically specifically that it doesn't require thousands/millions of years to be harvested again but you know). I think the planet could probably sustain e-bikes as the primary mode of transportation with the appropriate urban planning to make that feasible and convenient, tho I'd be willing to hear I'm wrong and obviously on its own it wouldn't stop the climate apocalypse

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

this is also why ebikes are bad

lmao the amount of lithium in power tool batteries, and e bike batteries is a rounding error compared to EVs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ham Equity posted:

Sounds like Social Darwinism and John Forrester were right.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Electric bicycles are a basic part of providing universal accessibility. If you want to complain about them try the I hate batteries thread.

lol no

they are an edge case for a bad situation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

lol yea. Plastic Industry Astroturfing at the finest.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

I read a thing about that and the guy who invented the plastic shopping bag expected them to be reused over and over. Lol

Apr 7, 2003

ArmZ posted:

lol no

they are an edge case for a bad situation

The modern thing where you need to travel sixty miles on any given day to do all your poo poo is what needs to end, any kind of stopgap like EVs or ebikes are just delaying the inevitable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The modern thing where you need to travel sixty miles on any given day to do all your poo poo is what needs to end, any kind of stopgap like EVs or ebikes are just delaying the inevitable.
Nobody is commuting sixty miles a day on an ebike. People pretty much just use them for the same stuff you would use normal bikes for except they're somewhat less effort.

The idea that ebikes are some sort of symptom of lack of bike infrastructure is just really weird. I'm also not sure why someone who bikes entirely as a form of recreation and constantly brags about being in better shape than everyone else in YOSPOS is passing judgement on what an acceptable bike for transportation is and whether ebikes are good for making bikes more accessible.

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:56 on May 13, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

TeenageArchipelago posted:

What has happened to older suburbs in cities like Austin or Dallas as the city grew? The suburbs that, I would assume, would be changed to denser development as the city grew due to location? Did the presence of cul-de-sacs just drive development further out? Someone somewhere had to have looked into this at some point, right?
The first gen of culdisacs we're still mostly just grids but with dead ends here and there to confuse the pizza dilivery driver. Those could be converted a lot easier than the "rounder" neighborhoods

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I read a thing about that and the guy who invented the plastic shopping bag expected them to be reused over and over. Lol

quite possibly the most cucked man in modern history, poor bastard probably thought he was revolutionizing the world for the better

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
E bike batteries are good candidates for na ion chemistry which would eliminate sustainability concerns p much entirely

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
as someone who bikes a lot on an old-school bike, ebikes are cool and make more people appreciate and demand better bicycle infrastructure. the majority of people i see on them are older folks who would likely be sitting around at home if not for this easy means of conveyance. also i rode an ebike up one of the big hills here and oh my god it was amazing

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

El Pollo Blanco posted:

E bike batteries are good candidates for na ion chemistry which would eliminate sustainability concerns p much entirely

Swapping out one element for another does not eliminate the manufacturing and recycling problems. Aren't those e bike batteries all custom sized and integrated into the frame? That poo poo is all just getting thrown in the ocean nobody will deal with that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Petanque posted:

as someone who bikes a lot on an old-school bike, ebikes are cool and make more people appreciate and demand better bicycle infrastructure. the majority of people i see on them are older folks who would likely be sitting around at home if not for this easy means of conveyance. also i rode an ebike up one of the big hills here and oh my god it was amazing

I just use my Ford F-650 or GMC H4-EV, OP.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Swapping out one element for another does not eliminate the manufacturing and recycling problems. Aren't those e bike batteries all custom sized and integrated into the frame? That poo poo is all just getting thrown in the ocean nobody will deal with that.

yeah, we're going to have to take over production, duh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think they're all just a bunch of 18650 cells? Also I think even the ones where they're in the frame (which is fancier ones and often ones for recreational use; a lot of the basic ones more oriented toward utilitarian use have external batteries because it makes it easy to take the batteries inside to charge) are designed to be removable fairly easy

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:28 on May 13, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i made my ebike with a kit from aliexpress. it was around $500 for the front wheel motor, throttle, lovely lcd, and brake mod (not regenerative, just cut the power when the brakes were applied, pretty good idea really) and the smallest battery they had. strapped it to an old piece of poo poo steel frame. anyways it got jacked 1 day after i put it together. :waycool: serves me right. that bike was locked up behind my car in my parking spot for 2 years. the day after i put that poo poo on it bing bong gone. reckon someone wlaking by on the street saw me tinkering in the courtyard and circled back that night to claim his prize. pretty based. man that pissed me off. shame on me tho for not taking it upstairs. it actually wasn't even fully put together, just the front wheel was on. whoever stole it got it without brakes, handle bars, a flat back tire, and the gears disassembled. pretty good idea for that guy. genius really. crack cocaine and meth make you smart.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
they even left their bolt cutter where my bike was. free bolt cutter for me. :cheerdoge:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Petanque posted:

i see a lot of parents with cargo e-bikes bringing multiple kids to school. seems better than driving until the kids are old enough to bike themselves.

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

i made my ebike with a kit from aliexpress. it was around $500 for the front wheel motor, throttle, lovely lcd, and brake mod (not regenerative, just cut the power when the brakes were applied, pretty good idea really) and the smallest battery they had. strapped it to an old piece of poo poo steel frame. anyways it got jacked 1 day after i put it together. :waycool: serves me right. that bike was locked up behind my car in my parking spot for 2 years. the day after i put that poo poo on it bing bong gone. reckon someone wlaking by on the street saw me tinkering in the courtyard and circled back that night to claim his prize. pretty based. man that pissed me off. shame on me tho for not taking it upstairs. it actually wasn't even fully put together, just the front wheel was on. whoever stole it got it without brakes, handle bars, a flat back tire, and the gears disassembled. pretty good idea for that guy. genius really. crack cocaine and meth make you smart.

FRONT wheel motor?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

they even left their bolt cutter where my bike was. free bolt cutter for me. :cheerdoge:

smythe stays winning

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
that was during a time when there was a lot of petty theft around here, after years of none. you see something cool happened: some new neighbors moved in who were a little bougier than the rest of us and put a lot of cool poo poo in their patio, including a fancy gas grill and a $2000 ebike as well. needless to say that poo poo was immediately stolen. the knock-on effect was that i guess word got out to the epic crackhead community around us that there were fat loots to be found here so the entire place was crawling with insane crackheads for like a month. it got to the point where it was like chasing out possums or something. you'd hear someone rifling around through our poo poo (lawn chairs and the like) or hitting the lock on a shed with a brick or something lol and you'd have to lean on your window and be like "hey! get outa here ya bum!" and they would. it was pretty cool. sometimes theyd yell a bad word at you and then run away. of course im aware that there but by the grace of god go i. i am of course 2 missed paychecks away from being that crackhead myself. well, not quite, i can always crawl back, hat in hand, to my upper middle class family or strong social safety net including homeowners with spare rooms and the like, but its good to keep this in mind when deriding the less fortunate among us because they jacked my really cool thing that was excited about and spent a lot of money on. thats my story. perhaps they weren't crackheads but merely people down on their luck trying to score a windfall that could help them stabilize their life. maybe i should have left pamphlets out for social services or the soup kitchen. but that would be patronizing. if i saw that i'd have a conniption fit and take a broadsword to the dome of the fool arrogant enough to do such a thing. well, i guess that brings us to the eternal question: what is to be done.

if you ask me? just build no strings free housing for everyone and ubi. we could also give everyone bikes for free. they could even make the bikes as a jobs program. IN PRISON. geo group.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

yea its weird but thats how all the ebike kits are.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

smythe stays winning

rise and grind

mystes
May 31, 2006

Smythe posted:

yea its weird but thats how all the ebike kits are.
I think all the people who are really into ebikes are using mid drive conversion kits now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I recently put a cheap ebike front hub motor on a beach cruiser type bike for a friend who had this bike from when he lived in a much flatter area. It was only 250w with a tiny little battery that went in a pouch on the handlebars.

I was pretty blown away by how much fun it was rolling around on a comfy cool looking bike with a bionic hill climbing ability. I'm still gonna stick with regular bikes because being strong and doing hard things feels good, but hopefully ebikes will still be easy to get when I'm old.

Ebikes are good because they are not cars and even weak people can have fun with them.