Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Sigh. My feeler gauges are too wide. My little China bike is way overdue for valve clearance checks. I feel like they got tighter. Waiting for a set of tapered ones.

As for stock carbs not working as expected, pilot jet too rich...just adjust it and don't think too much about why it's not working stock. Is it a fancy carb with accelerator pumps and a throttle position sensor for timing advance?

Idk if it has a choke or enrichment circuit. You could also try with it not engaged.

I put a wideband fuel/air ratio gauge on my carbbed bike. It's not necessary but it does save time if and when I want to adjust it.

Wind the adjusters to zero clearance then back them off a quarter turn, perfect clearances in one easy step. Actually getting the feeler gauge out for a china bike is like using a torque wrench on a McDonald's toy.

3 kinds of fork seal failure.

1. Seal gets shredded by a damaged fork. Cause is owner being poo poo, fix is new forks

2. Seal gets packed with crap. Cause is riding lots, fix is a slice of yoghurt container

3. Seal is physically damaged on an otherwise ok fork. Cause is clumsy wheelies or sitting around for months and months, fix is new seals

The vast majority I see are 1 and 3 but I can't say I try to clean the ones people bring me cause I like money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rode to Aberdeen and back today, about 90 miles in total.

When I had parked up at my destination (notoriously hard to find parking there for car-driving visitors), the cars sandwiching me got parking tickets by the parking enforcement men, and they refused to ticket me because "I was not in the way of others wanting to park in their designated spots, but those other cars are". A+.

Took B roads there, the A96 back. Was dry 99.9% of the entire 90 miles, aside from the last yards when pulling into my driveway, when the lightest of drizzles started.

Great day out, lovely dry roads, decent weather (spots of sunshine, not cold, dry).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I wanted to suggest Teflon tape the other day but didn’t want my suggestion being totally stupid :lol: so I’m glad you found an alternative.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

Wind the adjusters to zero clearance then back them off a quarter turn, perfect clearances in one easy step. Actually getting the feeler gauge out for a china bike is like using a torque wrench on a McDonald's toy.

3 kinds of fork seal failure.

1. Seal gets shredded by a damaged fork. Cause is owner being poo poo, fix is new forks

2. Seal gets packed with crap. Cause is riding lots, fix is a slice of yoghurt container

3. Seal is physically damaged on an otherwise ok fork. Cause is clumsy wheelies or sitting around for months and months, fix is new seals

The vast majority I see are 1 and 3 but I can't say I try to clean the ones people bring me cause I like money.

I mean even if you clean it you're taking it on/off at least 3 times, something is bound to get damaged and it doesn't take much to spring a leak in those things. Plus a set of new seals is like $30, the cost is all time getting the forks off and apart. I could see it as a solution if you genuinely can't get new seals but it absolutely doesn't seem like a good normal practice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Google seal mate, get back to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the seals are already leaking, you may as well try cleaning them :shrug:

Not gonna get any worse

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/honda-hawk-11-revealed-but-many-questions-remain.html

I like the mix of dustbin throwback and modern.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is how i imagine rev Dr Moses looks in real life

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7097009848906239278

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I know there's not much to be done at the manufacturers level, but that exhaust ruins any hope of that looking good without replacement.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is way too aggressive a position to sell well. Too bad, it's pretty.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Carteret posted:

I know there's not much to be done at the manufacturers level, but that exhaust ruins any hope of that looking good without replacement.

I don't necessarily mind the nondescript can, but yeah what's with that weird chrome heat shield thing? It looks like a leftover pseudo bash plate from the Africa Twin. It's on the NT1100, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't believe how much I don't want one and I consider myself a Honda stan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Toe Rag posted:

I don't necessarily mind the nondescript can, but yeah what's with that weird chrome heat shield thing? It looks like a leftover pseudo bash plate from the Africa Twin. It's on the NT1100, too.

That'll be the catalytic converter. It's inevitable these days.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was at a Yamaha dealer yesterday picking up my bike, and had the opportunity to marvel at how they somehow managed to make the 2021+ MT09 even uglier than the 2020- version. The exhaust was one particularly glaring example. It went from this:

Ok, not great, but you did what you could given the requirements
To this:

Sure, go on, just hang that TIG welded tumor on the bottom, don't worry about it looking good. There's no money in the pig cosmetics budget anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo that's bad. It has to be huge nowadays but they could've done better there, jesus.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
That is a pretty ugly exhaust, thank god the UK's proposed ‘anti-tampering’ laws are not yet a thing ;)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

I was at a Yamaha dealer yesterday picking up my bike, and had the opportunity to marvel at how they somehow managed to make the 2021+ MT09 even uglier than the 2020- version. The exhaust was one particularly glaring example. It went from this:

To this:

Sure, go on, just hang that TIG welded tumor on the bottom, don't worry about it looking good. There's no money in the pig cosmetics budget anyway.

Bring back big fat 90s fairings, problem solved

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On second inspection, hard agree that an underslung exhaust would make that new Hawk visually nicer.

I think I'm narrowing down that I'm a fan of the single headlight dustbin-style fairing on an otherwise "naked" bike. Thruxton is still one of the top "lookers", in my mind. And actually now that I look at it, I think dustbin is the wrong term. Probably just an old style race-inspired fairing?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 13, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
that looks fug, not gonna lie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's the beauty of bikes -- you're allowed to think it's not cool and pretty and who am I to tell you you're wrong :haw:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

so much wrong.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It looks like a bargain bin superveloce

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

It looks like a bargain bin superveloce

thank you

I could write a wall of text of everything that's wrong with it but nobody wants to read that and this about sums it up for me.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Finger Prince posted:

I'm the exposed R/R glued to the side of the battery box

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

To be honest, I have yet to see a stock exhaust on an MT-09 or MT-07 that isn't on the showroom floor. Most people ditch their exhausts within seconds of buying it, so I'd imagine that Yamaha is probably putting zero effort into something they think will end up in the scrap bin by Monday. That said:

FBS posted:

I'm the exposed R/R glued to the side of the battery box

Let's hope it doesn't suffer from the Honda R/R heating problems else you'll get some hot hot battery action. :unsmigghh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine making a new Honda Hawk and its not a V-Twin. Imagine that. Insanity

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Did an enduro training today and had forgotten/not realized that it starts with half a day of trial biking. Already had a few hours of trial biking last year and it was quite the workout. Dunno what was different today, I actually think last year was a far hotter day, but almost gave myself heatstroke wearing my 'normal' gear. I had intended to bring my mesh jacket, but there was rain on the forecast (and in realiy), in hindsight it would still have been the right call. Noticed serious complications during the first break (exacerbated by the sudden stop of activity, same poo poo that happens at marathons when people don't do the power down properly) and would robably have collapsed without proper counter measures.
Switched to just elbow protecters (provided by the place) and that was much better.

Also burnt/melted a hole into my pants. They had us go up a grassy slope despite the dampness and the trail was destroyed by everyone going up and when it was my turn I didn't stand a chance. Wasn't even able to stand next to the bike to get it back upright, had to slide/shuffle it away a bit.
Anyway, when the bike slid out I kinda got my right leg between the main body and front wheel trying to catch the bike and the exhaust hot against my inner thigh. Big hole there now, but I think I mostly got lucky. The inner mesh liner is not singed, so I assume the fabric kept me far enough away from the exhaust long enough, I don't think the mesh would have survived even a moment of contact.
The pants were getting too large anyway, so not much of a loss either, was already considering if I should replace them. I am curious how "kevlar" pants would have fared, as nomex is basically the same thing.

Did not drop my own bike, so day was a total success. Extremely beat now, showers are awesome. Going up and down slopes with confidence was nice, but probably the biggest epiphany for me was "dancing around the bike", we basically did all sorts of silly things while riding in a big circle, riding with one leg, side saddle, kneeling on the seat, and all sorts of variants. The ease with which you can do this was really cool to experience, outside this setting I would never have attempted monkeying around on my bike like that, but it's mostly easy and is a good way to gain confidence on the bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

I can understand Honda's use of the big black can on everything. If you told me I had to chose between those two exhausts and I lived somewhere that was looking at outlawing tampering with enviromental performance I'd absolutely take the Honda.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

To this:

It was a pretty significant redesign of the whole bike between those years and you can’t escape euro 5. I kinda like the no muffler look, just wish they would have coated the cat in black somehow so it’s not so noticeable.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

That'll be the catalytic converter. It's inevitable these days.

Yeah I was wondering that but hard to find a good picture. It doesn’t look like enough room and I thought maybe it would be inside the can since it’s pretty big.

Isn’t having the headers swoop left then right bad for the flow? Or it doesn’t really matter because it’s going into a cat anyway?

The CB650 is Euro5 compliant and still looks good. Yamaha’s all look like rear end. I wonder what they’re doing differently.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine making a new Honda Hawk and its not a V-Twin. Imagine that. Insanity

Or an SSSA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Honda has like twenty bikes named Hawk of some sort, with all different engine and frame configurations. Technically the NT650 is the Hawk GT.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Toe Rag posted:

I wonder what they’re doing differently.

charging a $1400 premium, mostly

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Honda put a pile of money into that Africa Twin engine and they are drat well gonna shove it into every bike they make.

I had a darn near identical experience when my 690 forks started weeping. Thought ah dammit I gotta do this whole thing now?! Then I ran across seal mate and figured no way it could work but now I HAD to try it. Darned if it didn't permanently fix the leak (at least until I sold it then who knows). I could make one out of a milk jug but I feel alright about giving money to the people who popularized a way to save me $$$ and time on fork work. It lives in my tool role now just in case.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Toe Rag posted:

The CB650 is Euro5 compliant and still looks good. Yamaha’s all look like rear end. I wonder what they’re doing differently.

The answer is "painting it black" and "hiding it behind a shiny cowling"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Honda has like twenty bikes named Hawk of some sort, with all different engine and frame configurations. Technically the NT650 is the Hawk GT.

lol nerd

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seems like I'm in the minority but I like it, seems like some bold styling for boring old honda

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I saw a CB650R yesterday evening at a stop light and I really dig the styling.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

The answer is "painting it black" and "hiding it behind a shiny cowling"

It's more than just that, though. Check out the MT-07 and MT-09 change from 2020 to 2021.

:barf:

Meanwhile the CB maintained its beautiful exhaust headers, possibly its main selling point.

My understanding is the headers come together much sooner so they can cram more catalytic converters into it. Maybe on the Honda the cat is an even bigger lump. It looks the same in the pictures I can find, though.

quote:

The Euro5 tweaks include revised ECU settings, new camshafts, revised intake timing, a new exhaust, catalytic converter and silencer. A new crank sensor is also added to help achieve the misfire detection that Euro5 demands. Key dimensions, including the bore and stroke, the 649cc capacity and the modest 11.6: compression ratio, aren’t altered.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/october/honda-cb650r-and-cbr650r-updated-for-2021
Maybe the changes make the engine even more anemic? I've never ridden it, but I know it has a reputation for being Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The newest round of emissions regs have across the board led to reduced high rpm performance in favour of broader, flatter curves. Some makes have bumped capacity by like ~50cc to make up the shortfall mathematically - the engine still revs slower than the old one, but by being slightly larger and thus making a bit more torque everywhere, the horsepower figure can remain the same. The issue is having to reduce cam overlap, the less overlap you have the less unburnt fuel escapes into the exhaust and thus the less work you have to do treating the exhaust afterwards with ugly heavy poo poo. Reducing overlap favours efficiency at moderate piston speeds, which means reduced high rpm torque, which means less marketable horsepower number. If you want to have a zippy small engine, you need some beefy exhaust gubbins to clean up after it.

I suspect the cb650 has so much performance headroom by virtue of architecture, being a high strung four tuned to be slow and lazy, that it's relatively easy to accommodate the new regs using cam and head work without resorting to crazy huge cats, because it's piston speeds are currently glacial. I imagine the newer version will be a little peakier without really revving any higher and the numbers in the article seem to support this. Could be less boring? I think the chassis improvements are the biggest thing. I rode a relatively new 650 cafe recently and they've really improved - yes it's still boring, but it's now also quick, capable and actually somewhat fun if you find the right type of road.

Meanwhile, the Yamahas haven't increased in capacity, so they're really suffering trying to squeeze out an identical horsepower figure to the last model from their twin and triple, in which piston speeds are already pretty high. They must lose some cam overlap and try to make it up in the midrange, but that pushes peak hp down in favour of less marketable broader torque spread. Try selling that. Number cannot go down. Perhaps Honda were being very forward thinking with their choice of lazy four vs the others' peppy twins?