Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

sick of Applebees posted:

I liked Justified and it was my introduction to Character Actor Margo Martindale and she is great in it

She is the most underrated of the villains on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cleretic posted:

I've been making it a thing over the last couple years to watch through classic anime I know I'd like that I missed through having poor access to it over my life--and given my tastes, it's been mostly sci-fi and mecha anime. There's a lot that actually ages extremely well (Evangelion honestly hasn't aged a day), while some are very clearly of their time even if they're still very good (basically every Gundam series).

...but hooooooo boy Gurren Lagann, especially regarding women. The female character designs are something I could forgive as just an element of the medium (Yoko, the flame-bikini girl, is honestly the only really bad one, but she does cast a long shadow), but I can only do that if it's the only sexist element of the show, and it's really not. The worst of it--and definitely the part that stuck out as 'they surely wouldn't do this today' is that Kamina is pretty constantly sexist, and the show never really treats this as a negative part of his character. ...honestly the show doesn't really depict any part of Kamina as being bad, despite him being an abusive idiot, but the sexism made me genuinely uncomfortable with how much it was just allowed to keep happening.

It was the bad gay stereotype that really got me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was the bad gay stereotype that really got me

Leeron's the best character in the show, though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Leeron being far and away the most competent cast member does a lot to help him out. As does the fact him being gay at least so far hasn't really been a major punchline.

The show's been better about the gay character than it has about women overall, which is... something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On Justified, there is one episode when Nick Searcy character straight up beats a suspect with a phone book to get answers, and it's portrayed as a good thing. I immensely dislike that episode.

Edit: on the other hand, the entire thing with Limehouse and Noble's holler is that the black community can't trust the police and probably should set up their own community justice and protection

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

I really liked Justified, and can’t recall anything really egregious considering it’s a show about US Marshals. It’s essentially an Elmore Leonard series, and he was usually on the right side of things.

Yeah, even though it's in KY it's almost more of a long-form western than it is a police procedural (though the first half season 1 or so really wants to be a procedural)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heliotrope posted:

I’ve been watching some older shows, and I checked out the first episode of Justified. I did like it, but does it age badly like it looks like it’s going to? The main character being a quick shot cop who goes for killing blows seems kinda “yikes”. It’s okay if it’s just a bit problematic, I just want to make sure it doesn’t go into full copaganda.

The main thing is the title of the show.

Where the heart of the series comes down on is that Raylan really isn't any better a person than the people he kills. He gets away with it because he's...well. Yeah.

And that's not a good thing.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Burkion posted:

The main thing is the title of the show.

Where the heart of the series comes down on is that Raylan really isn't any better a person than the people he kills. He gets away with it because he's...well. Yeah.

And that's not a good thing.

And just about every cop on that show beside Raylan is pretty hosed up. Tim has issues, the cops in Harlan range from actively part of a criminal family to a fugitive who has been evading law enforcement for decades, to Patton Oswald's guy who is mostly there to be mocked as the tactilol dude. Rachael and Tom Bergen might be the only two decent people in uniform on the show. And Tom Bergen basically exists to provide a way to feed info to Raylan or have him explain stuff. While I am sure there are a lot of people who miss the point, I don't think the show is intended as propaganda. Because the cops are almost just as bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thomamelas posted:

And just about every cop on that show beside Raylan is pretty hosed up. Tim has issues, the cops in Harlan range from actively part of a criminal family to a fugitive who has been evading law enforcement for decades, to Patton Oswald's guy who is mostly there to be mocked as the tactilol dude. Rachael and Tom Bergen might be the only two decent people in uniform on the show. And Tom Bergen basically exists to provide a way to feed info to Raylan or have him explain stuff. While I am sure there are a lot of people who miss the point, I don't think the show is intended as propaganda. Because the cops are almost just as bad.

Also EVERY SINGLE FBI AGENT is explicitly and completely corrupt. Every time.

Trooper Tom is the only regular cop who isn't shown to be a poo poo hell, and he's a state trooper so there's some separation there. Same for the Marshals in general, since they're generally removed from the worst aspects of Cop stuff.

Any other cop? Implicitly a piece of poo poo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Burkion posted:

Also EVERY SINGLE FBI AGENT is explicitly and completely corrupt. Every time.

Trooper Tom is the only regular cop who isn't shown to be a poo poo hell, and he's a state trooper so there's some separation there. Same for the Marshals in general, since they're generally removed from the worst aspects of Cop stuff.

Any other cop? Implicitly a piece of poo poo

Yeah they try to cast Raylan as the good cop but he's just as bad as the others, the difference is his cowboy attitude endears him to the audience and his fellow Marshalls, like the time he threw a bullet at a guy and said "Next one's going to be faster" which is an implicit death threat but all the Marshalls who hear him recount that encounter thinks he's awesome.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And I get that it's bad to law enforcement to threaten people with murder like that. but also, it was Wynn Duffy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah they try to cast Raylan as the good cop but he's just as bad as the others, the difference is his cowboy attitude endears him to the audience and his fellow Marshalls, like the time he threw a bullet at a guy and said "Next one's going to be faster" which is an implicit death threat but all the Marshalls who hear him recount that encounter thinks he's awesome.

Also it's used to implicate him in a murder, because despite how badass it was

And we're all adults here it was pretty badass

It was also pretty stupid to give murderers who hate you a bullet with your fingerprint on it.

This is why Justified works. Even when Raylan is right, he's wrong. And he's rarely right

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

Leeron's the best character in the show, though

The jokes about him being a child predator were extremely bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Raylan is not the hero, he’s the protagonist. He is, however, always justified.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Justified avoids being copaganda, I think, but it has the uneasy tension of any cop show. That it’s a western first and foremost helps, but at the end of the day Raylan is still a meathead who shoots people on behalf of the state (on paper, anyway) and That Crowd will use anything at all to reinforce their worldview of cop = right.

That said, most of the cast and writers seem very much aware that a show about a rogue cop,who kills with impunity, called Justified, is something that didn’t age well. That helps.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m looking forward to the revival series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m looking forward to the revival series.

Yeah, since its based on one specific novel, it has a lot of promise

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

christmas boots posted:

And I get that it's bad to law enforcement to threaten people with murder like that. but also, it was Wynn Duffy.

One of the things that Justified had going for it was that it was just stacked with great antagonists. From the little one off ones to the season arc ones to the ones like Wynn Duffy and Boyd that were just great.

And they did a great job with a lot of the minor ones like Dewey Crowe of weaving them in and out in a way that felt really organic.

So to the person who asked, it's a show with excellent writing, a murder's row of a cast that just loving kills it, and it's not copaganda.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question I have about the Toy Story universe:

Do the toys automatically have the personality of the thing that they are supposed to be?

Like Buzz thinks he is, and has the personality of the cartoon/action figure/etc. Buzz Lightyear. And there are other examples of this.

But what about in a hypothetical scenario where, say a little girl gets given He-Man toys straight out of the box by her stupid arsehole parents. This little girl, being heteronormative as gently caress, (essentialy so this hypothetical can work), thus uses her He-Man and Skeletor figures to have tea parties together, do either of these toys either develop the personalities they were "made" to have?

Or lets say they get gifted to another kid, again straight out of the box so no time to develop personalities, who doesn't know they are He-Man and Skeletor, and instead names them 'Muscle Blondy" and "Purple Skull Face". Do these toys, who theoretically know no better, now adopt these as their names/personalities?

Because we see in the 3rd movie that established toys with established personalities get offended and affronted if played with "wrong". And we see in the 2nd movie that the same toy, as played with by different kids, develops different personalities.

So my question is would the He-Mana and Skeletor toys in my first scenario live lives of misery, forever being played with in a way that they weren't designed to, or would they be happy having tea parties at Mrs Havershams, coz it is all they know?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do the toys automatically have the personality of the thing that they are supposed to be?

Like Buzz thinks he is, and has the personality of the cartoon/action figure/etc. Buzz Lightyear. And there are other examples of this.

But what about in a hypothetical scenario where, say a little girl gets given He-Man toys straight out of the box by her stupid arsehole parents. This little girl, being heteronormative as gently caress, (essentialy so this hypothetical can work), thus uses her He-Man and Skeletor figures to have tea parties together, do either of these toys either develop the personalities they were "made" to have?

Or lets say they get gifted to another kid, again straight out of the box so no time to develop personalities, who doesn't know they are He-Man and Skeletor, and instead names them 'Muscle Blondy" and "Purple Skull Face". Do these toys, who theoretically know no better, now adopt these as their names/personalities?

Because we see in the 3rd movie that established toys with established personalities get offended and affronted if played with "wrong". And we see in the 2nd movie that the same toy, as played with by different kids, develops different personalities.

So my question is would the He-Mana and Skeletor toys in my first scenario live lives of misery, forever being played with in a way that they weren't designed to, or would they be happy having tea parties at Mrs Havershams, coz it is all they know?

This is PYF, not TCC.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is literally nature VS nurture

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's a movie for children.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It all comes down to accessories. As quoted from the first movie: "Do you see the hat? I am MRS. NESBITT!"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Buzz is a FOB (fresh out of box) and he has those delusions immediately, until disabused of them. I think it's clear.

What if there was like a religious idol, mistaken for a toy, who ended up in a child's room?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mescal posted:

Buzz is a FOB (fresh out of box) and he has those delusions immediately, until disabused of them. I think it's clear.

What if there was like a religious idol, mistaken for a toy, who ended up in a child's room?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mescal posted:

Well I think it comes down to what grants toys sentience. We know it's not a factory thing because of Forky in 4. But it also presumably isn't just that a child is projecting toy-ness onto it, because of the prospector in 2.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are toys alive in landfills and garbage dumps.

alive for thousands of years untill their plastic final gives out from the elements and/or microbs finally evolve "hey there's this hydrocarbon polymers here, break that poo poo down for calories."

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

During the pandemic, my kid was majorly into the Toy Story movies, and when there's nowhere to go and nothing to do, that added up to a lot of Sheriff Woody & the gang. Let me tell you- trying to apply any universal set of rules to the Toy Story flicks is a way of madness. "The love of children gives toys life" is the most all-encompassing theory I can get behind, and even that I'm sure has plenty of "well actually" or "what about" counterarguments.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
In Dimension 20's Tiny Heist, they set the rule that toys are alive as long as they are loved by a child, and fade to oblivion as a child forgets them. The only way to push back that deadline is to huff magic pixie dust.

A special shoutout to poor Mr Diggins.
https://youtu.be/9srGYs5SriQ

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i think justified definitely wanted you to root for raylan more than you should, and it was very uncomfortable.

otoh the scene where raylan has to step back and tell boyd "you know, i'm really going to miss moments like this" was really sweet and cool.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

I was wondering about sex dolls. In Toy Story, to be clear. The implications are bizarre at best.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
toy story is a metaphor for the garden of eden

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bushmaori posted:

I was wondering about sex dolls. In Toy Story, to be clear. The implications are bizarre at best.

:nws: https://www.sexylosers.com/comic/038/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BioEnchanted posted:

It all comes down to accessories. As quoted from the first movie: "Do you see the hat? I am MRS. NESBITT!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25l1SkYzb0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This is still one of my favourite gags in cinema. Once in a while something really stupid just hits exactly right.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mescal posted:

There's evidence of the opposite case: https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-38531888

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Burkion posted:

This is why Justified works.
it works because Timothy Olyphant is a fuckin smokeshow

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Everyone on that show is either hot or weird looking (or both in Goggins' case).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Now that he's a little older he's turned into quite the silver fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maya Rudolph on The Good Place all squeeing over getting her own Olyphant

(My favorite bit about that cameo is that he asked the producer "Do you want Tim, or do you want Raylan?" Man knows on which side his bread is buttered)