Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure I like Nkari on Ulthuan proper, tbh. Close, yes, but like with Grom and Ulthuan I'd rather start close but still have some buildup before going after my campaign enemy.

hmmmm, yes I see your points but I think N'kari might kill elves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Look, I'm no cynic. Nobody has been a bigger or more vocal supporter of this game than I but could it be that introducing a new regional AI system is far more likely to end in armies doing weird loops around Ulthuan then sieging a settlement for one turn before returning to the endless loop than it is dynamic and compelling gameplay?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

hmmmm, yes I see your points but I think N'kari might kill elves?

Yeah but rolling up with a huge army and crushing them (ideally when they are united against you) feels like a lot more fun than just scrabbling around at the start, killing a few HE factions, hitting that point where you feel powerful, and looking around going "ok now what".

I mean the answer is going to kill Malekith and all the elves that way, but still.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Look, I'm no cynic. Nobody has been a bigger or more vocal supporter of this game than I but could it be that introducing a new regional AI system is far more likely to end in armies doing weird loops around Ulthuan then sieging a settlement for one turn before returning to the endless loop than it is dynamic and compelling gameplay?

it's 100% going to get hosed up so bad if it happens lol

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I literally never use Lightning Strike and still clear on Very Hard because I am a gaming adonis.

Imagine how weak and baby brained you would need to be to always take lightning strike “because you need it”.

I think that this is one of the problems with min max chat. There's a lot of folklore about min maxing and most people just follow the "one weird trick" advice of whatever opinionated and successful player because most of us don't have time to independently test if their optimized play style is really the best.

I think often of Destiny's loot cave. https://www.polygon.com/2015/3/6/8152719/destiny-loot-cave-omnivore-bungie-gdc-2015

quote:

"The funny thing is, we knew about this before launch," he said. "We knew this was a potentially exploitable activity. But we didn't care, because we said the actual drop rate per minute spent is not any different than anything else. So you actually will get less loot doing this per hour than just playing the game.

"But the players weren't actually doing the math that way. They were doing the math of — they weren't doing the loot per hour, they were looking at loot per effort. And this was so low effort that it felt like free loot to them."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This probably wouldn't be any worse than Malekith beelining his main stack across the entire planet over the course of 25 turns to attack a player Kroq'gar because he's allied with Malus and Malus declared on the Kroq'gar player on turn 6.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I don't see why giving AI weights depending on the region would mess things up. If an AI is told to focus on X settlements in Y region, and only to move to Z region once they own all the X's in Y, yes you may see some armies boomerang back when suddenly a settlement gets lost in the higher priority region, but uhhhh, that's not that inaccurate. Lots of countries and armies historically reversed course depending on what was happening at home.

The only issue I see with this is if an AI weighs all settlements in a given region equally important, and so as soon as one region on the far side of Ulthluan is lost, Tyrion has a 50/50 chance of going to secure that rather than going and securing the other one right next to Lothern.

So they'd just have to make sure to weight settlements differently depending on location in a theatre (Closer to Lothern, higher value).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gonkish posted:

No mention of Alith Anar on Ulthuan, so he's probably still starting somewhere in the New World. Morathi, Wulfrik, and Grom possibly being moved to the donut is a big change. Looks like they're toying with making Ulthuan a lot less "safe", Alarielle is gonna have a hell of a time.

Given the changes to corruption, presumably they'll have to change Alarielle's corruption-related mechanics to some extent, if not replacing them entirely. But yeah, if the replacement is anything like the original, runs as Avelorn sound like they'll be hell, given how terrible the AI is at managing corruption - particularly given that in 2 they're also terrible at keeping Morathi off the island.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

nobody has been a bigger or more vocal supporter of this game than I

lol go hit that question mark down there below your av

or is this a joke in refence to your gimmick. sorry if so.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I thought original main reason for recommending lightning strike was Vortex invasion armies spawning in big clumps inside player territory

I don't think there would really be any problem with limiting AIs to specific theatres anyway. if AI Tyrion sticks to conquering Ulthuan and basically never leaves the island, it means less chance of him snowballing into ruling half the map and becoming unbeatable by the player. let the player be the dynamic element that changes the map

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the theatre system sounds very cool in theory, especially if it's dynamic and causes different conflicts to erupt across different games. however, i have played this series for a long time and the AI has at best been a passably competent illusion, and at worst actually unable to play the game. i don't have much faith that it will be done well, especially given whatever the gently caress's been going on with TW3.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure I like Nkari on Ulthuan proper, tbh. Close, yes, but like with Grom and Ulthuan I'd rather start close but still have some buildup before going after my campaign enemy.

I like it, makes sense from the books/lore since NKari is obsessed with the twins and helps shake up the donut.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It definitely FELT like in hams 1 and 2 there were flags/triggers that would cause the AI to go into imperialism mode. I dont know if it was a scripted thing or a Confluence Of Factors (cities fully upgraded? Flush with cash?), I just remember mid-late game Hams 1 wood elves going berserk

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

It definitely FELT like in hams 1 and 2 there were flags/triggers that would cause the AI to go into imperialism mode. I dont know if it was a scripted thing or a Confluence Of Factors (cities fully upgraded? Flush with cash?), I just remember mid-late game Hams 1 wood elves going berserk

They were just stupid good in autoresolve and started with decent units. They also had cities who were basically invulnerable to capture by other AI. Also, they could build a building in their minor settlements that gave +1% factionwide damage boosts to everything. Also the bonuses to confederation by AI meant that they tended to very quickly confederate everything. The stacks and autoresolve factor meant they tended to get rolling early and the AI buffs to growth and income meant their megacities became really megacities. So they exploded out quickly, then got rolling with stacking damage buffs to the point where their lovely outpost garrisons could punch well above their weight.

Mostly it started with how good ranged-heavy units tended to do in autoresolve tbh.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

The Chad Jihad posted:

There's a pretty cool W2 mod called saturated empires that periodically switches the AI of major factions to periods of Conquest and periods of staying home. I think it kinda works, definitely results in less weird empires.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Twigand Berries posted:

lol go hit that question mark down there below your av

or is this a joke in refence to your gimmick. sorry if so.

Gimmick? How dare you. Those are my earnest and dearly held opinions.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The donut much like the great forest is a pastoral dawi reserve--it's where you go to ponder how great beards are amongst all the ashes. I've done it every game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean the "theaters" thing is completely unexplained and entirely speculatory, we have no idea if it's anything substantial or just something the coders used for their own clarification. Don't read too much into it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gonkish posted:

I mean the "theaters" thing is completely unexplained and entirely speculatory, we have no idea if it's anything substantial or just something the coders used for their own clarification. Don't read too much into it.

This lol, it could amount to nothing

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Gonkish posted:

So while we're all starved for info, there's this post on reddit right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/umvmx7/nkari_starts_in_chrace_in_immortal_empires/

3. Ulthuan may be 22 provinces instead of ME's 16.

4. Ulthuan's "theater" apparently includes the following LLs as starts: Tyrion, Alarielle, Morathi, Wulfrik, Noctilus, Grom and Nkari. The donut is going to be a lot less homogenous.

No mention of Alith Anar on Ulthuan, so he's probably still starting somewhere in the New World. Morathi, Wulfrik, and Grom possibly being moved to the donut is a big change. Looks like they're toying with making Ulthuan a lot less "safe", Alarielle is gonna have a hell of a time.

Just wanted to point out here if you read into the thread a little more closely, the 22 provinces is pretty clearly not Ulthuan itself, but the Ulthuan theater. Hag Grief and Galleon's Graveyard are in the list given of the theater, so its likely people who are in starting provinces that are considered part of the Ulthuan theater, not the donut itself. Will be very curious to see how this concept shapes up in actual IE when we see the more up to date information.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I really liked the idea of theatres when it showed up in Empire. Didn't work particularly well in practice but I still feel like it's a great way to stitch a world map together, especially if it helps with performance. I still haven't inherited any blood emeralds so my computer isn't getting upgraded any time soon and I'm not optimistic about it's chances on a regular Immortal Empires map.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Following intense speculation from the community, we’re excited to confirm Theater Mode for Immortal Empires!

- New Pre-Battle Option: Lend Me Your Ears! Attempt to entertain the foe! Can’t possibly go wrong! Also used to play a show in friendly, neutral and enemy settlements!
- We have rebalanced all other sources of income to reflect the difficulty of finding work in a gig economy.
- New Units for all Races! Empire Bards, Norscan Skalds, Dwarf Alan Bennett Monologuers,, Cathayan Xiangsheng and more!
- New Stance: Rehearse. -25% campaign movement range. +25% chance of better performance. May result in leading man being too hungover to act for 3 turns.
- Expedition Mode: To Krump, or Not to Krump? New Legendary Lord Wilhelm Shakesporc leads a wandering band of merry troubadours on a quest to perform his latest work for the highest of the realm! Combines thrilling gameplay of micromanaging the relationships of troupe of highly strung actors and intense budgeting action with a gripping drama of one greenskin fighting his nature to zog you up with words, not weapons. Halfling stagehands included

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

TaintedBalance posted:

Just wanted to point out here if you read into the thread a little more closely, the 22 provinces is pretty clearly not Ulthuan itself, but the Ulthuan theater. Hag Grief and Galleon's Graveyard are in the list given of the theater, so its likely people who are in starting provinces that are considered part of the Ulthuan theater, not the donut itself. Will be very curious to see how this concept shapes up in actual IE when we see the more up to date information.

It may just end up being an internal classification that they use for AI purposes or something arcane like that. There's no way to really know until we see the map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1524748625208745984?cxt=HHwWgICplfqy_6gqAAAA

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Cool beans, I am excited to see these unique Regiments.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RoR's are da bomb and I can't wait to see them

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I hope Kislev’s RoR is an elemental bear minus the elemental part so just a giant bear tia

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Scandalous posted:

Following intense speculation from the community, we’re excited to confirm Theater Mode for Immortal Empires!

- New Pre-Battle Option: Lend Me Your Ears! Attempt to entertain the foe! Can’t possibly go wrong! Also used to play a show in friendly, neutral and enemy settlements!
- We have rebalanced all other sources of income to reflect the difficulty of finding work in a gig economy.
- New Units for all Races! Empire Bards, Norscan Skalds, Dwarf Alan Bennett Monologuers,, Cathayan Xiangsheng and more!
- New Stance: Rehearse. -25% campaign movement range. +25% chance of better performance. May result in leading man being too hungover to act for 3 turns.
- Expedition Mode: To Krump, or Not to Krump? New Legendary Lord Wilhelm Shakesporc leads a wandering band of merry troubadours on a quest to perform his latest work for the highest of the realm! Combines thrilling gameplay of micromanaging the relationships of troupe of highly strung actors and intense budgeting action with a gripping drama of one greenskin fighting his nature to zog you up with words, not weapons. Halfling stagehands included

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

I hope Kislev’s RoR is an elemental bear minus the elemental part so just a giant bear tia

No joke this is what I want too. Just a really, really big bear. Hopefully it explodes in a magical puff when it dies so I wouldn’t have to feel guilty if it ever dies in my watch.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it silently turns and walks off the field after looking at the camera and giving you a "are you kidding me?" look.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

jokes posted:

No joke this is what I want too. Just a really, really big bear. Hopefully it explodes in a magical puff when it dies so I wouldn’t have to feel guilty if it ever dies in my watch.

Some angry slav puts it out of its misery with an enchanted pistol old yeller style.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

If this does end up following the same path as WH2 then it's quite likely Kislev will get an overhaul at some point, and perhaps differentiate between Ursun and Frost Court units more, like what Mandalore said.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

1.2 next week is a good thing, I needs patch notes.

EDIT: Also this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806624241

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806253575
More Manual Control (For Non-Artillery Units!)

Seems interesting. Wonder if someone will figure out how to hack in WASD movement next for Warhammer 3 FPS edition. Probably very unlikely

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

TaintedBalance posted:

I still can't decide if the Total War games are poorly designed or just very poorly balanced. There is a tension between the simcity/civ elements of building up your settlements and empire while trying to push you into total war that they just never seem to be able to hit the balance on. Some factions are better than others, some games are better than others, but regardless, it always ends up feeling like its trying to be two different games at once; these often fight each other more often than they compliment each other.

The strategy layer is just really bad, fundamentally. I could complain about near every facet of it but reducing it down to three points, I don't like how most of them have the unfortunate combination of being overcomplex (to the point the AI has to ignore a lot of it) while not actually doing much for you outside of failure states, I don't like how all the various gameplay elements are so fundamentally unintegrated with each other so a lot of them are just sort of vestigial (raiding stance heyoo), and I think the worst is that for all the moving parts going on, they do basically nothing to enable diversity of play - there is fundamentally nothing different from being at war with cosmic horror daemons compared to being at war with unliving desert monarchs or big dumb lizards with cold brains - nothing about how they develop their territory, move their armies, conducts their economies, or anything at all on the strategy layer matters in the least in the end - the only thing is army composition which only differs between races and when the player feels like running a gimmick army, and occasional one off gimmicks like summoning a dinosaur stack.

There's a few things that do change things but they're also often badly done because they do not enable any kind of counterplay whatsoever so they're just frustrating and annoying for a lot of players. Tzeeny's settlement swap / gently caress you dont move this turn, and stuff like ambush on attack or underway stances.

There's been a megapost welling in me for some time wanting to break down comparing TW's strategy layer with Root but that would be a task, but itd mostly be just pointing out the above - TW factions are overcomplex, while at the same time samey and flat (outside of battles, in which they are Very Good).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ideally the strategy layer's entire purpose would be to get you into really big and fun fights where the odds were always very slightly stacked against you on very hard but still winnable.

And also open field battles being the norm instead of the AI turtling inside cities or trying to snipe your backwater town that doesn't have a wall or a garrison that can fight back, razing it, then marching 1 micron outside of your army's range trying to catch up to it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The strategy layer is just really bad, fundamentally. I could complain about near every facet of it but reducing it down to three points, I don't like how most of them have the unfortunate combination of being overcomplex (to the point the AI has to ignore a lot of it) while not actually doing much for you outside of failure states, I don't like how all the various gameplay elements are so fundamentally unintegrated with each other so a lot of them are just sort of vestigial (raiding stance heyoo), and I think the worst is that for all the moving parts going on, they do basically nothing to enable diversity of play - there is fundamentally nothing different from being at war with cosmic horror daemons compared to being at war with unliving desert monarchs or big dumb lizards with cold brains - nothing about how they develop their territory, move their armies, conducts their economies, or anything at all on the strategy layer matters in the least in the end - the only thing is army composition which only differs between races and when the player feels like running a gimmick army, and occasional one off gimmicks like summoning a dinosaur stack.

There's a few things that do change things but they're also often badly done because they do not enable any kind of counterplay whatsoever so they're just frustrating and annoying for a lot of players. Tzeeny's settlement swap / gently caress you dont move this turn, and stuff like ambush on attack or underway stances.

There's been a megapost welling in me for some time wanting to break down comparing TW's strategy layer with Root but that would be a task, but itd mostly be just pointing out the above - TW factions are overcomplex, while at the same time samey and flat (outside of battles, in which they are Very Good).

I agree with this. There's no strategy outside of taking enemy settlements until they can't make more armies and you can afford to create more armies (while they can effectively create them for free). The best enemy settlement to take is always going to be whichever is closest. There's no real value in controlling strategic geographical points or resources.

You can't attack the port of Marienburg and cripple the Empire's ability to trade or block off Nuln and stop them from being able produce artillery. You can't raid Brettonian farmland and cause a famine. You can't monopolize the iron trade. etc etc

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Double Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

I agree with this. There's no strategy outside of taking enemy settlements until they can't make more armies and you can afford to create more armies (while they can effectively create them for free). The best enemy settlement to take is always going to be whichever is closest. There's no real value in controlling strategic geographical points or resources.

You can't attack the port of Marienburg and cripple the Empire's ability to trade or block off Nuln and stop them from being able produce artillery. You can't raid Brettonian farmland and cause a famine. You can't monopolize the iron trade. etc etc

this is simply not true imo. for example, if grimgrog is giving you a hard time and you raze black crag, where he has his high priority blorc building, then you likely just shut down his entire ability to spam blorcs at you, for possibly a very long time. figuring out where your enemy is spawning his nasty high-tier units and shutting down those settlements is key to fighting efficiently on the campaign map.