Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
I'm not going to link it, but if you look at the twitter handle of that lewd Italian cartoonist @albo that politicians and journalists keep accidentally tagging instead of Albanese, you'll find his latest work is very inspired by the ALP.

I like the detail that went into the hammer and sickle.
Search at own risk etc NSFW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

He has a censored version:
https://twitter.com/albo/status/1524693962828795905?s=21&t=KZP-m7OMEj92FXHDByrugA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

clusterfuck posted:

I live next to Albos seat and the difference just in sports facility funding is obvious when travelling around Sydney to LNP seats. I don't know what the ALP attitude to sports rorts n' pork will be if they win but you can't blame people for noticing when it's blatantly promoted as a totally legit practice by the likes of Pork Barillaro. The expectation of politically biased funding is now as entrenched as negative gearing and the biased public spending towards private schools. Going by past performance the ALP will be too shy to undo any of these legacies. How do you expect people to react?

Well, I dunno, maybe vote for any other party than the LNP? Greens, maybe?

You can narrow the margin without risking putting those cunts bank in charge.

Comstar posted:

I think that the LNP ad "There's a hole in the budget dear Labor dear Labor" is the most pathetic political ad I've ever seen. Ending in It won't be easy under Albanese.

I wouldn't mind half as much if the person singing it wasn't so loving bad.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

lih posted:

labor backed the greens' icac bill in the senate already so i doubt their final bill would be too different. any labor icac bill would necessarily rely on greens support to pass the senate so if the greens thought it was poo poo it wouldn't happen

Sounds promising, I hope the greens have learned their 'perfect is the enemy of the good' lesson from the CPRS fiasco in 2009. The ALP could get over it too but fmd what a shitshow.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://greensmps.org.au/articles/greens-would-fast-track-strong-labor-icac-through-senate

they have a list of demands for an ICAC bill which are all already part of Labor's policy

https://www.alp.org.au/policies/national-anti-corruption-commission

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Apropos of nothing, does anybody happen to have that photo of somebody's long ballot form from a couple of elections ago, upon which they had lovingly sketched an image of Tony Abbott ramming a massive veiney cock through his mouth and exploding out of the top of his head?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Breetai posted:

Apropos of nothing, does anybody happen to have that photo of somebody's long ballot form from a couple of elections ago, upon which they had lovingly sketched an image of Tony Abbott ramming a massive veiney cock through his mouth and exploding out of the top of his head?

I... Have also been looking for this recently, but am a little too frightened of what the Google image search may turn up. >.>

Update: I had a look via forums search - I actually don't seem able to go back to the 2013 auspol thread. My feeling is that it was almost certainly going to be during the 2013 or 2016 federal elections, but who knows. :iiam:

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2022

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, I dunno, maybe vote for any other party than the LNP? Greens, maybe?

You can narrow the margin without risking putting those cunts bank in charge.

I just found it a bit harsh to refer to people as loving idiots when they notice how badly they're being treated, through slashed public spending, for political reasons. They're the outcome of decades of LNP government and they've had to draw their own conclusions.

While I agree a federal ICAC and a return to the level playing field approach to society that the ALP has traditionally been a champion of is ideal, I can't blame people for feeling very disillusioned after the last couple decades. We've become much less egalitarian, with prospects for home ownership and access to education largely dictated by family wealth and privilege. The political class looks way more bought than they once did and not particularly interested in pulling the pendulum back to a more equitable society.

Now we have the LNP blatantly rewarding their loyal electorates with pork cash n' rorts which poisons voter expectations and is a challenge for the ALP. Do they get in the pig pen and do the same for their loyal voters or do they keep up appearances and play fair, distributing funds in a rules based equitable manner, at the risk of alienating voters like the ones you encountered who feel owed something for their vote?

I've no answer for this and I don't think we're ever getting the 80's nostalgia Hawke era back again but if the ALP get in I'd watch people like those loving idiots and see if they can actually buy into any kind of idea of an equitable society, that'd be a start.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Seems pretty close although the ALP version refers to "overseen by a statutory bipartisan Joint Standing Committee of the Parliament". Would bipartisan mean only major party? I'd have though such a committee should draw from not only broader political parties but also draw from outside the parliament. Seems a bit sketch putting the two major parties in charge of the watchdog.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've never seen a joint standing committee that didn't have Greens, Nats, independents or even One Nation on it, so I'm not sure it's even legally possible to limit it to the major parties.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Cool and good then, all cynicism aside it looks like it could be a basis to rebuild aus politics and also something substantial the greens and ALP can work on and improve their relations. Thanks for pointing it out lih.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I voted. The LNP candidate was there. I can never be bothered wasting my time talking to strangers, but if you see yours and feel like wasting your time you could ask them if they want to be the member of the electorate, and then just cut them off with "Well you look like a dick".

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KKeneally/status/1524860819334303745

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm all for recovering money from British backpackers that won't gently caress off

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jesus loving Christ, Labor really do want to be the LNP from 20 years ago.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the government just announced that as their policy so KK had to quickly ensure there's absolutely no distance between them

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had a mate say 'i wish there was a centrist party for the middle class/working class' and i said 'you mean labor?' and he said 'what? those commie fucks? are you stupid? may as well vote greens!'

we're doomed y'all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

had a mate say 'i wish there was a centrist party for the middle class/working class' and i said 'you mean labor?' and he said 'what? those commie fucks? are you stupid? may as well vote greens!'

we're doomed y'all.

Sounds like your mate is an idiot, sorry.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hes also a pretty regular joe aussie which is why I said we're doomed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Laserface posted:

we're doomed y'all.

sever

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm only friends with idiots who think voting validates hegemony

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we are talking about idiot friends, I was once friends with a bloke who once said, verbatim:

"I can say friend of the family because I am friends with a black guy. Back me up here BrigadierSensible, you've met him."

We are no longer friends.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lol answer the question you wished was asked not the question you heard

https://twitter.com/strangerous10/status/1524909366691786752

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

lol answer the question you wished was asked not the question you heard

https://twitter.com/strangerous10/status/1524909366691786752

She’s not the full quid is she

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm only friends with idiots

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
they are idiots by default as they decided to become friends with me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

She’s not the full quid is she

I stood around at a prepoll with her for five hours and she is demented. We were all told not to approach the school kids next to the hall. One of the kids is the son of Carina Garland's friend and a few are yelling Carina towards the prepoll. Gladys goes over and gives them HTVs, leads them in a chant of Gladys and sings the hole in my bucket song. Also taking identifiable pictures of kids in their uniforms while doing it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

She’s not the full Yuan is she

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

If Dutton and Josh lose their seats who is up next as Liberal leader?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

It's Morrison all the way down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's actually Morrison's cunning plan that if he's going down, all his rivals will lose their seats, thus cementing his control over the party. And it just might work.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You're giving him too much credit. hes a loving moron.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MMrmteZfk

Can we all appreciate how desperate and cooked the lnp ad campaign guys are?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Pleasant Friend posted:

Much in the same vein as the last WA election, it'll be some random Nationals who will also become head of the party (in fairness to Mia Davies, she was already the Nationals leader and didn't lose her seat at the state election - but in this head cannon Barnaby loses his seat as well).

In trying to remember who the leader of the Nationals in WA was, I discovered that there is only one National running for Senate in WA this year. One. That feels off, right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MMrmteZfk

Can we all appreciate how desperate and cooked the lnp ad campaign guys are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4bp8bBNVw

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Lame Tampa scare with the announcement of the Chinese warship sailing as it's allowed to in the ocean?

I was waiting for stupid non-event like this to happen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone know what the gently caress is going on in Ballarat? There is some Hyper Intense cop presence, stopping anyone and everyone on the street with full authority to search persons/bags for anything illegal without a warrant.

my friend lives there and hes shown me some FB screenshots of tradies getting stopped on their way home and getting searched.

what the gently caress the purpose is, is totally missing from all the info on facebook.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress is going on in Ballarat? There is some Hyper Intense cop presence, stopping anyone and everyone on the street with full authority to search persons/bags for anything illegal without a warrant.

my friend lives there and hes shown me some FB screenshots of tradies getting stopped on their way home and getting searched.

what the gently caress the purpose is, is totally missing from all the info on facebook.

So the ballart courier has an article about it, but when I tried to open it, it just gave me the first sentence and a shitload of ads. Something about police operation to search for weapons. Possibly you'll have more luck :shrug:
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/7736686/major-police-operation-in-ballarat-cbd-today/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pleasant Friend posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I don't know who the hell Dan Tehan is but 710:1 it be stupid not to put money on that!!!