Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, you have had 6 jobs and only one over 3 years. That's a huge red flag to hiring managers. You can't really say "consistent 2% raises" when you've only been at one job for more than a full review cycle after your first year.

Out of curiosity how do those stints look when they're at the same company instead? Such as purely internal role changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

poo poo, lately I'm happy to see a resume with ANY role that lasted 2 years or longer nowadays

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cerious posted:

Out of curiosity how do those stints look when they're at the same company instead? Such as purely internal role changes

That's a good thing especially if they show escalation of responsibilities.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Magnetic North posted:

Wow, does that boomer bullshit actually still happen? I know it's expensive to train and onboard people, but If they don't like it, what would they rather you do about it? Lie? Why even bother interviewing the candidate if you're gonna give someone a hard time over it? It's all there in black and white; just deposit them into the circular file.
Well, it's a red flag, not a black flag. You interview and see if they have a reasonable explanation.

cerious posted:

short stints in the same company is fine

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cerious posted:

At the same company it's almost always a good thing, internal movement is one of those things that is very good for a company in general, even if people put up roadblocks because it's a pain for an individual manager.

So if some of those moves are within the same company, you should make that clear and in fact probably should organize your resume in a way that maximizes the time spent in each company (i.e., worked at Acme 2012-2018, these 3 roles)

I agree though, if those are moves you have a red flag resume, but not necessarily a immediate toss out. I'd definitely want to hear a good story. My advice would be to try to make it sound like you really want to find a long term home and try to make them feel like they are finally saving you.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Well I got a 3rd round interview anyway. Then rejected with

quote:

We enjoyed learning more about your experience, and the time you put into the process.

Currently the team was unable to select you for the position and current needs. Hence, we would not be moving ahead in the process.

When I asked for any feedback

quote:

Nothing in particular. With the needs we have right now, we decided to move ahead with another candidate.

:thanks:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No one's ever going to tell you why they didn't pick you and worrying about it is extremely -EV for you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Honey Im Homme posted:

Well I got a 3rd round interview anyway. Then rejected with

When I asked for any feedback

:thanks:
That's perfectly fine. I hate it when they expound on how awesome your resume and experiences were before rejecting you.

Feedback after a rejection is very, very rare, because candidates really want to either argue or keep shilling. Both are obnoxious. Take the L and move on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Keep in mind you might have been great, met every criteria, but someone else just had something you didn't, or was a referral or whatever. The fact that you were in your 3rd interview makes that very likely. It's not a deficiency, it just wasn't the right time.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I was the runner up after a 2nd interview which included a task (write a marketing plan and produce an example of the content). I asked for feedback (they were super complimentary in the rejection email) and they were honest and said the other candidate had a really novel creative idea that were exciting to them. They sent my CV round to the rest of the organisation as well, and I got called about other roles, so not a bad outcome.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m a senior product designer pushing 10 years of experience in different technology design roles. Putting my resume together I’m looking at 3 “pages” that would be most relevant to Lead/Staff roles I want. It’s in quotes because everything I’m applying for is remote so I doubt pages really matter these days? A good quarter of the second page is dedicated to showing my success metrics in my current role. Basically, should I bother cutting the descriptions of some of the job duties in my older roles and just listing title, company, and time there to get it down to two?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 8, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’m a senior product designer pushing 10 years of experience in different technology design roles. Putting my resume together I’m looking at 3 “pages” that would be most relevant to Lead/Staff roles I want. It’s in quotes because everything I’m applying for is remote so I doubt pages really matter these days? A good quarter of the second page is dedicated to showing my success metrics in my current role. Basically, should I bother cutting the descriptions of some of the job duties in my older roles and just listing title, company, and time there to get it down to two?

Yes get it down to two. “I didn't have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one.”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You almost certainly have too much fluff, and the fact that your current roles success metrics don't even start until the second page tells me it isn't organized or edited well enough.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

“I wasn’t going to invite him in for a phone screen, but then I saw something on the second page of his resume that changed my mind”
-no hiring manager ever.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I had a pre-application meeting about a government job yesterday, where the hiring manager helpfully revealed that "managing my staff is more difficult now that everyone wants to work from home because I can't keep an eye on what they're doing every day" and indicated that she expects FT office attendance in future. Bullet dodged, thanks for throwing up the red flags!

Green flags: I had two other interviews scheduled yesterday and today, and had to cancel them both because I had to take my kid to hospital. Both employers were totally fine with rescheduling and reached out to me today to see how she was going, which was a nice touch. One of them is literally at the Children's Hospital though so I suppose it comes with the job

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Double post. What's a reasonable amount of work to have to do as part of a second stage interview, and how do I protect it so that they don't use my work for free if I don't get the gig?

This hospital mob have asked me (for a comms role) to:
- create a series of key messages and proof points with adaptations for different audiences
- rewrite an existing piece of their content to make it more emotionally resonant, explain my rationale, and also demonstrate how it would be translated into a social media post
- find an existing piece of their comms that achieves their current objectives and rewrite it to make it even stronger, again explaining the rationale

I'm OK with points 2 and 3 but point one is straight up the basis of a comms strategy which is what the role is actually for. Any tips on pushing back or protecting it? Not sure if watermarking is the way to go or a timed expiry on a document.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jumpsuit posted:

Double post. What's a reasonable amount of work to have to do as part of a second stage interview, and how do I protect it so that they don't use my work for free if I don't get the gig?

This hospital mob have asked me (for a comms role) to:
- create a series of key messages and proof points with adaptations for different audiences
- rewrite an existing piece of their content to make it more emotionally resonant, explain my rationale, and also demonstrate how it would be translated into a social media post
- find an existing piece of their comms that achieves their current objectives and rewrite it to make it even stronger, again explaining the rationale

I'm OK with points 2 and 3 but point one is straight up the basis of a comms strategy which is what the role is actually for. Any tips on pushing back or protecting it? Not sure if watermarking is the way to go or a timed expiry on a document.

I have a hard time imagining how a company big enough to need this role (>500 employees I’d guess)can follow through on a strategy without someone there to implement it, usually the person who is the proponent of that strategy. If you can solve their comms problems with a few hours of work they don’t actually need a comms person. So the thought that they might steal it seems unlikely.

The way to protect your work from being used is probably with an IP lawyer. If you wanna go that route PM me where you live,I know a bunch of them.

This is a USA answer, ymmv other places

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Creative roles are the only ones where "We stole the guys work during the interview" is more than just a folk tale (no one is stealing your little CRUD app for production), but that said what they listed there seems....maybe on the high end but within bounds. That seems like maybe 2-4 hours or work, yeah? I guess it depends on how big a "series" is, but they are spending more than a half-day of person time on you, so I doubt the purpose is to steal a half day of work.

Jumpsuit posted:

I had a pre-application meeting about a government job yesterday, where the hiring manager helpfully revealed that "managing my staff is more difficult now that everyone wants to work from home because I can't keep an eye on what they're doing every day" and indicated that she expects FT office attendance in future. Bullet dodged, thanks for throwing up the red flags!

Make sure to let them know the WFH strategy is a dealbreaker. Everyone do their part to change this dumb mindset!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And by let "them" know he means HR or someone higher up the management chain, obviously the hiring manager in question doesn't give a poo poo, she needs to micromanage like she needs to breathe.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks y'all, I had the interview with the writing task people today and have decided I really, really don't want the job - and 90% of it is because I just don't vibe with the hiring manager. He seems indecisive, waffles and rambles on and speaks in a really patronising tone. I think the size of the writing task he's asking for is a symptom of the fact that he has trouble choosing a candidate and making a decision.

Yay that I'm not going to spend my weekend working for free

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I had an interview and I feel there were some red flags. The pay MAY be good, but I got a bad feeling.

Five second version:
  • Job ad with a really high salary. Like 2x my current.
  • Interview the next day
  • Guy seems nice at first but complains about his workers not understanding the work and complains how they can't do their iob right.
  • Asks me my salary history, which has been illegal in NYS for over two years
  • Is clearly unhappy that I want the salary posted on the job ad and tries to sell me on the fact they have profit sharing and good healthcare
  • When I stand firm, he said he'd check my references and see
  • Two days later he wants to continue

I just got a bad vibe. I feel a little unconfident too at doing what he'd need of me and he spoke openly and poorly about his current workers. He clearly wanted to cut the job offer by using my current salary, which (for a guy who boasted about knowing how things work) is an illegal hiring practice in my state. He clearly saw the salary range on there as a bait and switch thing judging by his clear desire to go below the offered salary range.

Also, my current boss pays less but I get a lot of flexibility on the off season. For example, I went out and partied late yesterday and came in an hour late and no one cared. While I expect that to go away at a new job, I don't want a jerk as well where I constantly feel judged.

Your thoughts?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Not professional at all run the hell away.

Any one of those points would get me a stern talking to from HR and my manager if I did any of those things in front of a candidate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yes, those are all red flags. I'd probably cut and run, though I guess you could play it out if you think there is a number that would make it worth it. Working for this guy will be exactly like you think it is though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I usually regard it as worthwhile to get an offer you can shop even if you have no interest in the job, but this case may be an exception to that rule and just not worth the time and nuisance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

Your thoughts?
Based on the bait and switch I think you should bail and report the posting to whatever board you found it on.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

I usually regard it as worthwhile to get an offer you can shop even if you have no interest in the job, but this case may be an exception to that rule and just not worth the time and nuisance.

Agreed.

People on both sides of an interview are on their best behavior and they are selling. If you didnt like that behavior or sales pitch, then it will not work out. That said, having two offers in hand, in writing has value so if you want to continue interviewing for that reason, that's understandable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just had another interview. They seemed nice and they didn't scoff at my price, but I might not go with them. I have been avoiding applying to other tax companies because I am tired of the hours. It would be a nice raise but one thing they said have me reconsidering it. They asked me my hours in busy season and I told them -- "9am to 9pm Monday to Friday; 9am to 5pm Saturday" -- and the guy was like "no Sundays?" And considering the big part I want out is too many hours, that implication seems like a deal breaker to me. Nice people, I am just done with the mandatory crunch of this industry. I should have expected it since I bothered to apply to a tax company but the implication of Sundays is too much for me.

It's a big raise, if they offer what I ask: a 30k raise. And that's a lot, but I feel I can make that much extra without killing myself.

They said they'd get back to me tomorrow and I'll think about it.

Edit: Yeah, I talked to my family and they're right. I am leaving because the insane hours of this industry has caused me physical illness, like literal gray hairs at the age of 29. $30k extra isn't worth it. If they call tomorrow, I think I'll say I'll take the offer under consideration and then quietly decline saying I took an offer elsewhere.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 13, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Uh, it sounds like you need to exit the industry altogether then, kinda?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Uh, it sounds like you need to exit the industry altogether then, kinda?

That was the plan. Not sure why I bothered even applying to this job to be honest. I thought if the hours were similar but for more pay I wouldn’t care. I didn't expect them to be greater.

I am sick of this industry all together. I know I make less than other people because I literally do their taxes yet I work more than they do.

Sorry this is a meltdown I have been going through since I hit a wall in March when I was there late in a Saturday. It just never stopped from there.

Thanks to BS with our new owners my pay is only 60k on Long Island and I am expected to work 60+ hours for three months and 40 hours the rest. We're moving to unlimited PTO and my boss is never coming back to the office so i have been stealing time back but it the crunch is burning me out.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2022

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Covok posted:

I just got a bad vibe. I feel a little unconfident too at doing what he'd need of me and he spoke openly and poorly about his current workers. He clearly wanted to cut the job offer by using my current salary, which (for a guy who boasted about knowing how things work) is an illegal hiring practice in my state. He clearly saw the salary range on there as a bait and switch thing judging by his clear desire to go below the offered salary range.

Go with your gut. I was just in the same interview situation thinking "gently caress, I would really hate having to deal with this person every day", glad I've withdrawn.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jumpsuit posted:

Go with your gut. I was just in the same interview situation thinking "gently caress, I would really hate having to deal with this person every day", glad I've withdrawn.

Yeah, I have a job I can stomach until January so I don't really mind waiting until I feel comfortable. I don’t need to rush.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Covok posted:

That was the plan. Not sure why I bothered even applying to this job to be honest. I thought if the hours were similar but for more pay I wouldn’t care. I didn't expect them to be greater.

I am sick of this industry all together. I know I make less than other people because I literally do their taxes yet I work more than they do.

Sorry this is a meltdown I have been going through since I hit a wall in March when I was there late in a Saturday. It just never stopped from there.

Thanks to BS with our new owners my pay is only 60k on Long Island and I am expected to work 60+ hours for three months and 40 hours the rest. We're moving to unlimited PTO and my boss is never coming back to the office so i have been stealing time back but it the crunch is burning me out.
If you're into personal finance stuff, going into planning might be a good move. A CFP who knows taxes is very valuable - ACP is basically full of tax people who wanted out of the industry (https://www.acplanners.org/home). If you're interested, maybe do an informational interview with a couple planners to see if it might be up your alley?

Covok
May 27, 2013

So that company from yesterday called me back today and wants to make an offer. They left a voice mail. But, as I said, they implied I might have to work Saturday and Sunday during busy season. I don't want to do that. I plan to just send an email declining the offer.

How best to word that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your call! I have decided to pursue a different opportunity at this time. It was great talking to you and learning more about Deathmarch LLC. Best wishes for an exciting future!

Very sincerely yours,
Covok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thank you very much for your call! I have decided to pursue a different opportunity at this time. It was great talking to you and learning more about Deathmarch LLC. Best wishes for an exciting future!

Very sincerely yours,
Covok

Thanks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It might be worth calling them back to clarify, but if 24/7/365 is expected in that field then it's not likely that they're the unicorn.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It might be worth calling them back to clarify, but if 24/7/365 is expected in that field then it's not likely that they're the unicorn.

It's tax prep so endless deathmarch for half of every year and merely lots of overtime the rest is the norm yeah. It sounds like interviewing with this company was the impetus that made him realize he needs to exit that industry entirely. Like at first he was thinking "I can't keep doing this for $CURRENT_SALARY, I need to make $LOTS_MORE to be worth this poo poo," but then when he was actually faced with the tangible prospect of being offered $LOTS_MORE for the same deathmarch job that made him realize "actually no, this poo poo isn't worth it at any price."

Do I understand you accurately there Covok?

I know four people who worked long term in the tax prep industry and all four are divorced. One of them twice. Anecdotes are not data but I definitely am not surprised by these particular anecdotes.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 13, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh wait, yeah. America. Taxes. gently caress everything about that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's tax prep so endless deathmarch for half of every year and merely lots of overtime the rest is the norm yeah. It sounds like interviewing with this company was the impetus that made him realize he needs to exit that industry entirely. Like at first he was thinking "I can't keep doing this for $CURRENT_SALARY, I need to make $LOTS_MORE to be worth this poo poo," but then when he was actually faced with the tangible prospect of being offered $LOTS_MORE for the same deathmarch job that made him realize "actually no, this poo poo isn't worth it at any price."

Do I understand you accurately there Covok?

I know four people who worked long term in the tax prep industry and all four are divorced. One of them twice. Anecdotes are not data but I definitely am not surprised by these particular anecdotes.

Actually, it's different.

I had a breakdown this year. My job keeps doing stunts to grow and the current stunt made the year awful. I just couldn't do it for 60k anymore. It was insane. Even with all the time off they givez this crunch was too much. I wanted out and decided to get out. Individual tax prep usually has better hours, which is why I moved there instead of doing a different Big 4 company. The pay can be worse and it was: 69k to 60k for the move. But the Big 4 was like 9am to 12pm or later Monday to Sunday. I am not joking. But even these lessened hours of 9am to 8pm M-F (staying later as needed, which is constant) and 9am to 5pm Saturday (staying later as needed) had been making me depressed, mad, a bit alcoholic and I am seeing a lot of hair loss and grey hair at 29. I wanted out.

To get across how done I am, I started looking in early April. That's a big taboo in the industry to start looking before tax day.

I then tried to get out but so far corporate accounting has been slow and quiet in the offer department. I am getting jerked around a bit. Recruiters are also jerking me around too. Almost all of them have tried to talk me out of leaving taxes. I think some of it is I also want a raise because inflation is a bitch. Regardless, I got disheartened and tried a tax office. But when it became clear they'd expect even more hours -- the "no Sundays?" question felt like they were a little surprised I never worked them -- it reaffirmed my decision that I had to leave this industry even if people would pay me 90k to stay. I mean, my current employer is underpaying me at pre-COVID rates but if I leave now it makes it harder to jump immediately in my mind. Also, my current boss is legit nice and lets me leave whenever and is moving to unlimited PTO so I will probably get more days in the future. If there wasn't this intense crunch, I'd probably stay.

I then did a few more applications for corporate and got some interview requests today. I think I can get out and get a raise at the same time as post-COVID has seemed to move the salary floor to 80k but it's a question of how, when, and who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, I am not trying to spam but I just think this is funny. I applied to a controller position for 80k at a local ice plant and they called me 5 minutes after I submitted my resume to setup an interview.