Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

even though people keep getting COVID.

How are they doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't think any of them were sick enough to be hospitalized. No idea if any have long-term issues.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My grandfather's 90th birthday party was a super spreader event. My entire family got covid and some got a double virus whammy of flu and covid. Nearly everyone was symptomatic, sniffles through bedridden fever. No one, not even one of the 80+ year old friends also in attendance, were hospitalized. But 3 weeks later my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer with weeks/maybe a couple months to live. So a 90 year old with late stage cancer told covid to gently caress off, it worked. God bless these vaccines.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

droll posted:

My grandfather's 90th birthday party was a super spreader event. My entire family got covid and some got a double virus whammy of flu and covid. Nearly everyone was symptomatic, sniffles through bedridden fever. No one, not even one of the 80+ year old friends also in attendance, were hospitalized. But 3 weeks later my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer with weeks/maybe a couple months to live. So a 90 year old with late stage cancer told covid to gently caress off, it worked. God bless these vaccines.

Very glad to hear no one got too sick and I am very sorry to hear about your grandfathers diagnosis. My best to you and yours.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Based on the ONS survey, which is probably the only measurable level of it now in the UK, we're down at pre omicron levels now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.covid.gov/tests just a heads up, more free tests are available.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They done done it again. Undisputed COVID champs 3 years running.

https://twitter.com/medriva/status/1526397409676472322

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wooow go China!!!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
God drat they saved so many lives. Amazing. Also really glad Australians can stop claiming they had the harshest lockdowns in the developed world and that lockdowns can't work against Alpha Delta Omicron. The proof is in the pudding, the west really half assed this poo poo and killed millions for no reason.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, fingers crossed it's true.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Srice posted:

https://www.covid.gov/tests just a heads up, more free tests are available.

Not only that but they're sending out 8 tests this time, in two separate packages.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

God drat they saved so many lives. Amazing. Also really glad Australians can stop claiming they had the harshest lockdowns in the developed world and that lockdowns can't work against Alpha Delta Omicron. The proof is in the pudding, the west really half assed this poo poo and killed millions for no reason.

Yeah, I don't think "Shanghai style lockdowns, forever" is going to fly with any people on Earth. It's not sustainable.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

droll posted:

I mean, thats one of the advantages of an autocratic government, if people complain you just say tough poo poo, deal with it.

You can't do that long term or in a sustainable fashion in a democracy unless everyone is very much pulling the same direction (which isn't the case at all due to the 'covid is fake and vaccines are mind control ' crowd).

People were (generally, again, lots of protests) fine with lockdowns when there were no vaccines, but putting everyone into severe lockdowns when vaccines reduce the chance of death or serious injury is basically nothing is a good way to get voted out immediately.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 17, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alctel posted:

I mean, thats one of the advantages of an autocratic government, if people complain you just say tough poo poo, deal with it.

You can't do that long term or in a sustainable fashion in a democracy unless everyone is very much pulling the same direction (which isn't the case at all due to the 'covid is fake and vaccines are mind control ' crowd)

True, but the degree to which we've simply given up is pretty disappointing. We can't even say "wear an N95 when in public and indoors, it's literally the least you can do."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

droll posted:

Facebook mom's: "This is proof that the vaccine causes cancer" :hmmrona:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

droll posted:

I think the reason was The Number Must Go Up™, actually. Peasants Ordinary citizens must be sacrificed for the greater good of capitalism.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Abner Assington posted:

I think the reason was The Number Must Go Up™, actually. Peasants Ordinary citizens must be sacrificed for the greater good of capitalism.

You can't let people know that getting off the hamster wheel is an option and that society won't implode immediately if everyone doesn't drag their asses every day to jobs they hate to make money for people they hate.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Abner Assington posted:

No it was because we don't want to spend literally the rest of our lives going into strict lockdowns for weeks or months at a time at the drop of a hat

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

freebooter posted:

No it was because we don't want to spend literally the rest of our lives going into strict lockdowns for weeks or months at a time at the drop of a hat
There's a whole lot of grey area between Shanghai's draconian lockdowns and America's collective, "Uh, whatever, everything's open again."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

There's a whole lot of grey area between Shanghai's draconian lockdowns and America's collective, "Uh, whatever, everything's open again."

In theory maybe. Not in reality.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Abner Assington posted:

And, I mean, personal experience ain't proof of anything, but I know I've been exposed to COVID multiple times at work, but I shave and wear a KN-95, and I've dodged it all despite lots of people around me getting sick. I don't think we need lockdowns at all, I think we need good masks, worn consistently, and as much ventilation as possible. It really does seem to be that simple. It's not perfect, but it would reduce the overall rate of transmission by a huge amount and it's not a massive imposition.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

And, I mean, personal experience ain't proof of anything, but I know I've been exposed to COVID multiple times at work, but I shave and wear a KN-95, and I've dodged it all despite lots of people around me getting sick. I don't think we need lockdowns at all, I think we need good masks, worn consistently, and as much ventilation as possible. It really does seem to be that simple. It's not perfect, but it would reduce the overall rate of transmission by a huge amount and it's not a massive imposition.

People would also have to stop going to bars and restaurants indoors so that's a showstopper right there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oracle posted:

People would also have to stop going to bars and restaurants indoors so that's a showstopper right there.

I mean, yes, for perfect safety, that's true. But I think if you mandate ventilation requirements and CO2 monitors as a proxy, it can be made safe enough to be allowed to continue, though it's still not something I'm eager to do myself.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is China at least getting their vac numbers up?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

I mean, yes, for perfect safety, that's true. But I think if you mandate ventilation requirements and CO2 monitors as a proxy, it can be made safe enough to be allowed to continue, though it's still not something I'm eager to do myself.

maybe back during alpha or delta, but omicron is way too contagious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

I think what gets missed is, if we all went with President Xi's COVID zero plan the way the scoreboard says we should, it's not like you'd be doing this every year or so. Like, Cincinnati would get locked down for 6 weeks, and everyone who doesn't live in Cincinnati would go about their lives like normal with no threat of COVID at all.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

I think what gets missed is, if we all went with President Xi's COVID zero plan the way the scoreboard says we should, it's not like you'd be doing this every year or so. Like, Cincinnati would get locked down for 6 weeks, and everyone who doesn't live in Cincinnati would go about their lives like normal with no threat of COVID at all.

Right. The problem here stems from liberal governments doing half assed unenforced "please isolate yourselves" measures that result in needing to keep doing them for lengthy periods. Then people will claim it was a "strict lockdown" and it cannot possibly keep happening every 6 months. And any amount of trying to explain that no, you didn't experience a strict lockdown doesn't seem to get through. The vast majority of China didn't go into strict lockdown and still live very normal life, barely thinking about covid except for their regular testing.

droll fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 17, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

Yeah, I don't think "Shanghai style lockdowns, forever" is going to fly with any people on Earth. It's not sustainable.

Did you quote the wrong post or is this a strawman?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

droll posted:

Right. The problem here stems from liberal governments doing half assed unenforced "please isolate yourselves" measures that result in needing to keep doing them for lengthy periods. Then people will claim it was a "strict lockdown" and it cannot possibly keep happening every 6 months. And any amount of trying to explain that no, you didn't experience a strict lockdown doesn't seem to get through. The vast majority of China didn't go into strict lockdown and still live very normal life, barely thinking about covid except for their regular testing.

It's not just 'liberal' governments though, it was literally every government except for China. In fact, a lot of the more conservative governments pretended covid wasn't even a thing (India, Brazil) before it ripped through their populations

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PT6A posted:

On the other hand I live in an area with a 50% vaccination rate and the level of mask use you would expect from that, I'm not currently wearing a mask in public, and I've been exposed several times without getting sick (I was wearing a mask for many of those, not all though). I know multiple antivaxxers who have never had covid. There are also lots of people who isolated themselves at home and wore masks and still got covid. Your personal experience is just never going to be very informative because the main reason you do or don't get sick is random chance.

At the level of a country I think it is safe to say that requiring masks reduces the number of covid cases by some amount, but not by enough to make the difference between "wave" and "no wave".

Alctel posted:

It's not just 'liberal' governments though, it was literally every government except for China. In fact, a lot of the more conservative governments pretended covid wasn't even a thing (India, Brazil) before it ripped through their populations

also there are countries that did strict lockdowns that didn't have to go on for very long, and just quit doing that in late 2021/early 2022 when it stopped working

(Some of those countries managed to vaccinate most of their population with vaccines that actually work)

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 18, 2022

Dasar
Apr 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freebooter posted:

Speaking of the rest of our lives: Covid is now the second leading cause of death in Australia.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

At the level of a country I think it is safe to say that requiring masks reduces the number of covid cases by some amount, but not by enough to make the difference between "wave" and "no wave".

There’s reasons that Hawaii had the lowest prevalence of COVID in the country and part of it was mandatory masking with good adherence. Don’t conflate lovely half-assed policies failing with general failure of the underlying concept.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

This was not our experience in Australia. There were something like 10-20 outbreaks (met with lockdowns) in various places around the country in 2021, including in all the major cities. This was great for places like Perth or Brisbane where they managed to quash it and go back to COVID-zero a week later. But post-vaccines, nobody wants to live like that permanently, with not just the threat of lockdowns any given week or month but also with no international travel and severely curtailed interstate travel, forever. And the reason for that is not "capitalism" or "number go up."

Yes, I read that when it came out the other week. Like many other articles I've seen along the same lines this year it irritated me because it provides precisely zero alternatives to the status quo. Nobody is cartwheeling down the street for joy that we now have to put up with a virus more contagious and lethal than the flu for many years to come. But we have a 95%+ adult vaccination rate and unless the hospitals come under threat of collapse again, there isn't really any justification for other measures or restrictions, because no amount of them is ever going to get it back to zero.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I think China maintaining during omicron might mean it's over for the "Australia did perfect lockdowns I'm from there" bit

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Australia's lockdowns failed for policy reasons - specifically that a right wing state ignored explicit advice from the medical experts because they thought they were special. It's exactly what happened in Shanghai.

The difference is that China's leadership reached the point where they said "okay, what you're doing obviously isn't working. Do it by the book or you are fired". Our federal government gave the rogue state government big sloppy blowjobs instead.

If Shanghai had followed the actual covid zero protocol, things would never have got as bad as it did. If Australia wasn't run by rich dickheads who cannot abide the idea that the rules apply to them, Australia would have maintained covid zero and what lockdowns we had to have would never have been as bad as they were.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, cases in the UK seem to be dropping away (down to "only" a quarter-million currently infected) and I've started fantasising about COVID being "over" at some point in the future. What I haven't decided is when I'd consider COVID to be over - when would I feel comfortable acting like I did before COVID was a thing, going to the cinema, eating out in public settings, not wearing a mask on public transport, that sort of thing.

My vague finger-in-the-air thought is "COVID is over once less than ten people die of it every day" - I don't think we'll ever be truly free of it. What are other people's thoughts on when they'd count COVID to be "over"?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If everywhere in the world had done proper lockdowns at the same time, then we could very well have ended COVID. Without that, though, it's pretty much inevitable for COVID to become globally endemic.

A single government can't permanently eradicate COVID in their jurisdiction. Even if they manage to bring COVID to zero locally, it's so contagious that international travel and commerce will reintroduce it repeatedly. And as the months drag on, the population's patience for travel controls and lockdown measures will wane over time, becoming politically difficult even in countries where there isn't a far-right movement going full death cult out of sheer spite.

That's especially true since COVID lethality is significantly down compared to the initial wave. This is most likely due to vaccination, repeated exposures, and improved medical interventions, rather than any intrinsic changes in the virus itself, but the reason doesn't really matter. What matters is that as the lethality rate of getting COVID drops, it's going to become more and more difficult politically to treat COVID as a drop-everything-and-panic crisis. The April outbreak was China's biggest COVID outbreak yet, with far more cases now than they had in 2020, but the number of deaths is far lower than it was back in 2020. Yes, this is bad for vulnerable groups, but most of the populace will happily prefer inflicting lockdown measures, rather than agreeing to self-sacrifice for the sake of vulnerable groups.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

That's not what happened in China though. Not only did Shanghai shutting down have significant and severe downwind economic effects on every other province (not to mention the country as a whole, and perhaps even the entire world that depends on China), people in places like Beijing and Guangzhou were (and still are) in a state of constant fear as well, not knowing whether their own cities or provinces might be locked down next. Granted, Cincinnati is nowhere as economically significant as Shanghai, but the idea that local shutdowns are isolated to their locality and everyone else can go on with their lives is, frankly, bonkers.

droll posted:

While these criticisms have predictably become ammunition for good old "liberal"-bashing, almost every government in the world, of all political stripes, has (correctly) determined that China style lockdowns in perpetuity are not sustainable. The fact of the matter is that you cannot ask cities or states or provinces to cut themselves off and go on lockdowns at the drop of a hat in perpetuity. Even Shanghai residents have pushed back very strongly against their shutdown this time around, and it's frankly unclear if even China can continue with similar measures moving forward. My guess is that once Xi is confirmed for a third term, their approach will change. Case in point (crosspost from the China thread):

https://twitter.com/YanzhongHuang/status/1526898265186357251

Thorn Wishes Talon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

If everywhere in the world had done proper lockdowns at the same time, then we could very well have ended COVID. Without that, though, it's pretty much inevitable for COVID to become globally endemic.

A single government can't permanently eradicate COVID in their jurisdiction. Even if they manage to bring COVID to zero locally, it's so contagious that international travel and commerce will reintroduce it repeatedly. And as the months drag on, the population's patience for travel controls and lockdown measures will wane over time, becoming politically difficult even in countries where there isn't a far-right movement going full death cult out of sheer spite.

That's especially true since COVID lethality is significantly down compared to the initial wave. This is most likely due to vaccination, repeated exposures, and improved medical interventions, rather than any intrinsic changes in the virus itself, but the reason doesn't really matter. What matters is that as the lethality rate of getting COVID drops, it's going to become more and more difficult politically to treat COVID as a drop-everything-and-panic crisis. The April outbreak was China's biggest COVID outbreak yet, with far more cases now than they had in 2020, but the number of deaths is far lower than it was back in 2020. Yes, this is bad for vulnerable groups, but most of the populace will happily prefer inflicting lockdown measures, rather than agreeing to self-sacrifice for the sake of vulnerable groups.

Emphatically this.

I'm "glad'" Shanghai seems to have (emphasis on seems) flattened transmission. It only took, what, a month and change of the most strict, most inhumane, most incredibly authoritarian and heavy-handed lockdown tactics in the world.

I'm sure the Chinese people will consider this fine and acceptable to do forever. For the rest of their lives. For decades and decades to come. Right? When their children and grandchildren are doing the same for all of their lives? No, that's preposterous. It's not sustainable.

e: agreed with the post that snuck in above me, too. Xi and the leadership of the CCP are not any more stupid people than the rest of us. They can do the simple math. I would definitely expect a big shift in "covid zero" policy after he's confirmed as the new strongman.

How are u fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Chinese people did not seem to think it was very fine or good as it was happening so I remain skeptical that their approach will be sustainable