Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

So you are doing it deliberately then. Ok, as long as we're all on the same page. You don't understand the distinctions or you refuse to acknowledge them for other reasons.

I'mma make a short list of the various reasons some of us consider SCOTUS illegitimate. Let me know if I've missed
your's, folks. Some of these interrelate and are almost the same, but I'm not sure they are quite the same.

1. Reflect the will of a minority of the country.
2. Disproportionately chosen by the party that is almost always a minority of vote share in the election of the nominating official.
3. Selected by a nominating official whose own position is selected through a very anti-democratic process.
4. disproportionately selected by a nominating official who himself was illegitimately placed into power by SCOTUS.
5. Include members whose seats were denied to a properly elected nominating official via anti-democratic rules lawyering.
6. Making rulings outside of the scope of its authority to manipulate a political outcome.
7. Include members who perjured themselves in the nominating process to obtain their seats.
8. Includes members simply not fit to serve for various reasons outside of said perjury. Rapists, bribe takers, etc.

Almost all of this list applies to the legislature and executive as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

VitalSigns posted:

No they voted to make a one time exception for a different bill, they did not vote to eliminate it

The post I was responding to said "they will note vote to eliminate the filibuster for anything." They in fact already voted to eliminate it for a thing. Yes, not to end it entirely in all cases; that's a different question.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It should be noted that voting to eliminate the filibuster for a thing when you know the vote will fail is different from voting to do that when you expect the vote to succeed.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

tagesschau posted:

Where do they get the 50 (or 60) votes in the Senate to strip the Supreme Court of its jurisdiction? This is a mandatory prerequisite for demonstrating that "if the Dems wanted to," it's possible.

Or, if you are proposing that the president just ignore anything from the Supreme Court he doesn't like (which isn't a power the constitution confers), how does that not immediately turn into a situation where effective judicial authority flows through the Oval Office? So much for separation of powers.

It would really be tough to get 60 or 70 Senate seats. I mean, 60, sure, but 70 or 80? I don't think any party has ever held 90 Senate seats.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

The post I was responding to said "they will note vote to eliminate the filibuster for anything." They in fact already voted to eliminate it for a thing. Yes, not to end it entirely in all cases; that's a different question.

Kinda the important question since this bill is a different thing, but yeah they did do that

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 13, 2022

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

It would really be tough to get 60 or 70 Senate seats. I mean, 60, sure, but 70 or 80? I don't think any party has ever held 90 Senate seats.

Setting aside the immediately post-Civil War Senates, which were lopsided for different reasons, the highest party share in the Senate was in the 75th Congress, when Democrats held 76 of 96 seats.

(This was the peak of the series of Congresses that passed basically all the New Deal legislation.)

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/CAKitchener/status/1524930481040637953

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That's the thing that makes me angriest about the Louisiana law.

The people who wrote it, and voted for it, clearly don't have even a basic understanding on how female reproduction works.

Less than half of all fertilized eggs make it to blastocysts, even in controlled lab conditions for IVF. In normal conditions, ~73% of all conceptions don't survive past 6 weeks of gestation.

Yet they want to define the start of life at fertilization, opening the route to charge any woman whose behavior they don't like if they can convince themselves it made egg survival less likely.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

In normal conditions, ~73% of all conceptions don't survive past 6 weeks of gestation.
Counterpoint: your statistic would be impossible in a just world.

Here's AJ's recap of the SCOTUS timeline notably, it puts the refusal to hold hearings after Obama's nomination, rather than before. So, look forward to having to explain in 10 years that the GOP was going to refuse any nominee, and it had nothing to do with the specific candidate.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the thing that makes me angriest about the Louisiana law.

The people who wrote it, and voted for it, clearly don't have even a basic understanding on how female reproduction works.

Less than half of all fertilized eggs make it to blastocysts, even in controlled lab conditions for IVF. In normal conditions, ~73% of all conceptions don't survive past 6 weeks of gestation.

Yet they want to define the start of life at fertilization, opening the route to charge any woman whose behavior they don't like if they can convince themselves it made egg survival less likely.

Politicians in general but ESPECIALLY Republicans not having even an 8th graders level of comprehension about the topics they decide for millions of people is par for the course. It really speaks to the deeply broken state of our system that it's so normalized.

Here's one of my all time favorites, and a great example of why we ended up where we are now.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 13, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bel Shazar posted:

Almost all of this list applies to the legislature and executive as well.

Pretty much. The structure of the US federal government is interesting in that each branch can, at every point, claim legitimacy in a completely different fashion:

1. The executive was elected through the constitutional mechanism. They can claim a mandate and legitimacy from that.

2. The legislature was also...although quite probably in a completely different election than the executive head and by a completely different electorate. They can claim a mandate and legitimacy from their elections.

3. The judicial branch was confirmed through the actions of the executive and legislative branches combined, so has double the legitimacy...

...yes, the judicial review and nullification of laws is completely absent from the original constitution, but you don't have any meaningful check if the legislative branch gets to decide which laws they passed violate that constitution. And a minority check on popular frenzies catching the legislature and causing them to pass some dumbass performative poo poo* is basically the perfect way to check that.

...the real problems are of course with who's getting elected and how competitive the races are, but that's a separate issue.

*If nothing comes to mind, google "Florida legislature" or "Louisiana legislature" or "Texas legislature."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

-Blackadder- posted:

Politicians in general but ESPECIALLY Republicans not having even an 8th graders level of comprehension about the topics they decide for millions of people is par for the course. It really speaks to the deeply broken state of our system that it's so normalized.

Here's one of my all time favorites, and a great example of why we ended up where we are now.

The inevitable result of abstinence-only sex ed in action. Men who only barely understand that loving and children are related, and in the entirely wrong context at that given the number of Republican lawmakers who go down for CSAM.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kalman posted:

Setting aside the immediately post-Civil War Senates, which were lopsided for different reasons, the highest party share in the Senate was in the 75th Congress, when Democrats held 76 of 96 seats.

(This was the peak of the series of Congresses that passed basically all the New Deal legislation.)

Yeah, to be serious, Democrats controlled the House for all but three (3) sessions between the New Deal and the Contract With America.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Liquid Communism posted:

The inevitable result of abstinence-only sex ed in action. Men who only barely understand that loving and children are related, and in the entirely wrong context at that given the number of Republican lawmakers who go down for CSAM.

There was a German physicist who coined a great phrase that I think does the best job of describing this.

Not even Wrong. One of the definitions is when there exists such an extreme lack of knowledge and understanding of even the most fundamental of domain concepts that the answer that is given doesn't even have the appropriate context to the question. Saying "2+2 = 5" is merely a wrong answer, but saying "2+2 = Cheese" is Not Even Wrong and suggests that the person may not even know or understand basic arithmetic concepts..

And in truth that really gets to the heart of the issue with Republicans. The problem isn't that they have wrong opinions, its that they don't understand that knowledge and facts are not a matter of opinion. There's an entire framework for critically navigating the problem solving process that they simply are not aware of because they think everyone is just shooting from the hip and making it up as they go, just like they are.

vvv: yup, that's him.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 13, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Pauli.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

There was a German physicist who coined a great phrase that I think does the best job of describing this.

Not even Wrong. One of the definitions is when there exists such an extreme lack of knowledge and understanding of even the most fundamental of domain concepts that the answer that is given doesn't even have the appropriate context to the question. Saying "2+2 = 5" is merely a wrong answer, but saying "2+2 = Cheese" is Not Even Wrong and suggests that the person may not even know or understand basic arithmetic concepts..

And in truth that really gets to the heart of the issue with Republicans. The problem isn't that they have wrong opinions, its that they don't understand that knowledge and facts are not a matter of opinion. There's an entire framework for critically navigating the problem solving process that they simply are not aware of because they think everyone is just shooting from the hip and making it up as they go, just like they are.

vvv: yup, that's him.

I think we have to realize that conservatives and especially the Republican party essentially know what their conclusion is and will do everything to reach to that conclusion. Evidence be damned, I know the answer and no one will move me off of it. And the real insidious part is that the Republicans cravenly used these cleaves when they obviously didn't believe it but now, their elected leaders DO believe this poo poo and are policy makers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They also just lie about what is or isn't an abortifacient. It's what Hobby Lobby did when the Court decided corporations can have religious beliefs even when they're not religious entities in any way.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s a good thing that the constitution state the Supreme Court has the power to review laws and the gives the power to the executive branch to ultimately execute those laws however it deems necessary, up to and including rejecting the Supreme Court’s review, as has already been stated but you seem to ignore.
no it doesn't lol

there are a lot of posters in d&d whose vehemence is inversely proportionate to the degree to which they understand basic facts about a subject. this subforum would be somewhat better if they would stop doing this!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 13, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
VBC is correct. The three branches keep each other in check. If potus tells SCOTUS to gently caress off, Congress can weigh in.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Harold Fjord posted:

VBC is correct. The three branches keep each other in check. If potus tells SCOTUS to gently caress off, Congress can weigh in.

VBC is not even close to correct. Neither Judicial review nor presidents ignoring supreme court decisions are written in the constitution. the only way congress can weigh in is impeachment or criminal referral to the DOJ.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

there are a lot of posters in d&d whose vehemence is inversely proportionate to the degree to which they understand basic facts about a subject. this subforum would be somewhat better if they would stop doing this!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

VBC is not even close to correct. Neither Judicial review nor presidents ignoring supreme court decisions are written in the constitution. the only way congress can weigh in is impeachment or criminal referral to the DOJ.

Also technically, Congress can decide what cases the court can hear but I don't think have exercised that power.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also technically, Congress can decide what cases the court can hear but I don't think have exercised that power.

IIRC they did once, in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mooseontheloose posted:

https://twitter.com/un_a_valeable/status/1521316031939104769

Look up Ex Parte McCardle (1869). It's very funny. SCOTUS had finished listening to arguments and was in the middle of writing the opinion when Congress did the thin.

quote:

February 5, 1867: Habeas Corpus Act enacted. This act of Congress gave habeas jurisdiction to all courts where persons in any case may have had their rights denied or violated.
March 2, 1867: Trial by military commission was authorized under the Reconstruction Act.
October 2 – November 6, 1867: Sometime during this month and four day period, William McCardle published “incendiary” articles that highly criticized Reconstruction laws. This unpopular opposition led to his arrest by a military commander in the state of Mississippi.
November 12, 1867: After being jailed, McCardle sought to petition the Habeas Corpus Act of 1867 in an attempt to report that he was unlawfully imprisoned, and on this day, the federal circuit court of the Southern District of Mississippi issued a writ of habeas corpus.
November 25, 1867: The federal circuit court denied McCardle’s request. However, he was released on a $1,000 bond.
December 23, 1867: William McCardle filed his appeal to the Supreme Court as a result of his denied petition under the Habeas Corpus Act, which had given the Supreme Court appellate jurisdiction.
February 17, 1868: Motion to dismiss the appeal for Supreme Court review was denied.
March 9, 1868: The Supreme Court’s hearings on the arguments of McCardle’s appeal during the case, McCardle I came to an end.
March 12, 1868: Congress adopted the Repealer Act that denied the right of any appeal and jurisdiction to the Supreme Court under the Habeas Corpus Act of 1867.
March 25, 1868: President Andrew Johnson vetoed the passage of Congress’ Repealer Act.
March 27, 1868: Congress had overridden the veto by President Johnson.
March 2-4, 9, 1869: Arguments resumed in the case, McCardle II.
April 12, 1869: The Supreme Court announced its long-awaited decision, in which the case was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Judicial Review isn’t written in the constitution, it is inferred by the court itself

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/about posted:

Judicial Review

The best-known power of the Supreme Court is judicial review, or the ability of the Court to declare a Legislative or Executive act in violation of the Constitution, is not found within the text of the Constitution itself. The Court established this doctrine in the case of Marbury v. Madison (1803).

As such, the Supreme Court has very little standing. The president has full authority to ignore the supreme court’s rulings.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Judicial Review isn’t written in the constitution, it is inferred by the court itself

As such, the Supreme Court has very little standing. The president has full authority to ignore the supreme court’s rulings.

Precedent, especially long standing precedent, at least ostensibly has a degree of binding power in common law countries, of which the US is one. Granted ostensibly is doing some heavy lifting here, cause there's no enforcement mechanism other than the largely nonfunctional systems for removing judges, but that's a pretty different thing from "nothing the courts says is real maaaaan".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

fool of sound posted:

Precedent, especially long standing precedent, at least ostensibly has a degree of binding power in common law countries, of which the US is one. Granted ostensibly is doing some heavy lifting here, cause there's no enforcement mechanism other than the largely nonfunctional systems for removing judges, but that's a pretty different thing from "nothing the courts says is real maaaaan".

The point of the abortion decision is that precedent doesn't mean anything, though

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

fool of sound posted:

I don’t personally find it any more far fetched than other solutions such as packing the courts or impeaching a justice while also existing in the realm of “could happen”.

We both know nothing will happen because both Republicans and Democrats (and their supporters) desire stripping away human rights and support the fascist takeover of the courts.

Piell posted:

The point of the abortion decision is that precedent doesn't mean anything, though

Exactly. Not to mention the supreme court has been ignored before.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It's kinda ironic that people are calling for the SCOTUS to be ignored because they want SCOTUS decisions to remain on the books.

Imagine Trump going "gently caress the SCOTUS, it's an illegitimate court that I no longer acknowledge. Gay marriage, abortion rights, contraception rights are now all gone" when he was president.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Piell posted:

Yeah that's the 'ostensibly', because it turns out there's no will to actually stop them from ignoring precedent they don't like. Thomas in particular outright and vocally rejects the notion of stare decisis, which is completely disqualifying in a judge but there is no functional oversight system. Of course, the flip side is that the court has no enforcement power either; if the other branches don't want to listen to them, they really don't have to. The whole lack of functional, codified mutual oversight is exactly why the federal government is in decay.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GaussianCopula posted:

It's kinda ironic that people are calling for the SCOTUS to be ignored because they want SCOTUS decisions to remain on the books.

Gee, golly, if you ignore the actual reasons people want something and the underlying facts of the case, their desires can seem unreasonable? Who would have thought.

GaussianCopula posted:

Imagine Trump going "gently caress the SCOTUS, it's an illegitimate court that I no longer acknowledge. Gay marriage, abortion rights, contraception rights are now all gone" when he was president.

Look at this innocent person claiming they didn't commit a murder. Isn't that crazy? Could you imagine if Ted Bundy were to declare he didn't commit any murders? I bet you'd all be upset about that! And yet here you are defending this innocent guy doing the same thing. Tsk tsk. How ironic.

Also, yknow, Trump and the Republicans were openly calling the courts illegitimate for years, that's how they justified what they did.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GlyphGryph posted:

Look at this innocent person claiming they didn't commit a murder. Isn't that crazy? Could you imagine if Ted Bundy were to declare he didn't commit any murders? I bet you'd all be upset about that! And yet here you are defending this innocent guy doing the same thing. Tsk tsk. How ironic.

look at this other person claiming their torture was bad and shouldn't have happened, can you imagine if Jack Bauer was stopped from torturing out information that let him find the atomic bomb which will destroy los angeles??

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

So are you saying that, functionally, it’s better when the Supreme Court does it but not the president?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So are you saying that, functionally, it’s better when the Supreme Court does it but not the president?

I think the fact that the supreme court decides based on the law, even if you disagree with their particular philosophy of how they interpret the law, leads to more stable decisions than letting an directly elected president, who might not be the most stable genius, do it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The concept of the Supreme Court is fine in the abstract, or at least as fine as any other part of our government structure.

The problem is

1) it has been hijacked by bad faith actors, and

2) it has no effective oversight because the other branches of government have either also been hijacked or are incapable of action for various reasons.

There is no human institution that could survive that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not like the Supreme Court was good before the birth of the conservative legal movement. It had one short period of being pretty good.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

I think the fact that the supreme court decides based on the law, even if you disagree with their particular philosophy of how they interpret the law, leads to more stable decisions than letting an directly elected president, who might not be the most stable genius, do it.

Please understand what that statement means: when magical words are used to strip away human rights because they are supported by tradition based on a racist and sexist document, that is ok. Stability is more important than human rights because it MIGHT be abused.

Please clarify if that is not what you mean.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please understand what that statement means: when magical words are used to strip away human rights because they are supported by tradition based on a racist and sexist document, that is ok. Stability is more important than human rights because it MIGHT be abused.

Please clarify if that is not what you mean.

I don't see the current draft opinion as "stripping away human rights". The Mississipi law that is going to be upheld bans abortions after the 15th week, which is one week more than German law allows, which is seen as reasonable. Moreover overturning Roe v Wade is not going to make abortion illegal, it will return the question to the democratic institutions that are supposed to decide those questions. Congress had decades to codify abortion rights on a federal level, with several periods in which Democrats controlled Congress and the White House. If state legislators decide that their state is going to have stricter abortion regulations, than that's how the democratic process is supposed to work.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

This only seems like a problem to you because you're accustomed to congress not doing its job to make laws protecting these things that all have majority support

And they're all about to go away anyway because they were built on a foundation of trusting an unelected committee whose appointments can be gamed politically, and the side against these things turned out to be better at and/or more willing to game it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

This only seems like a problem to you because you're accustomed to congress not doing its job to make laws protecting these things that all have majority support

And they're all about to go away anyway because they were built on a foundation of trusting an unelected committee whose appointments can be gamed politically, and the side against these things turned out to be better at and/or more willing to game it.

Why is DOMA still on the books?
Why did the Democrats not codify Roe v Wade?

My educated guess is that the support for these measures might be high in opinion polls, but would proof difficult for at least some democrats at the ballot box. That's why they loved to hide behind the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Why is DOMA still on the books?
Why did the Democrats not codify Roe v Wade?

My educated guess is that the support for these measures might be high in opinion polls, but would proof difficult for at least some democrats at the ballot box. That's why they loved to hide behind the Supreme Court.

Pretty much yeah the US federal government is very undemocratic by design so not only can you have issues with reactionaries and megacorps having disproportionate influence on the government, but also the government doesn't really have to care what the people want anyway.

For example even reactionary voters want legal weed though at this point and it passes whenever it comes up on a referendum, but the central government doesn't have to give a poo poo.