Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Folks it's illegal to not like DBZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Avatar 2 won't flop because Disney is going to market the poo poo out of it.

Honestly though, I don't care. I just remembered being really bored during the first film and walking out really underwhelmed. The characters were mainly non-existent. Like, I won't go with the "I can't remember names" because that's not a fair criticism. But in all of those films, I can remember who the characters are and what they do. But Avatar... uhhh... There's main guy, there's main guy's best friend, there's scientist, there's the Navi who doesn't trust main guy, there's love interest, there's absurd bad guy, there's weedy bad guy.
I haven't watched Avatar since the DVD came out, so I'm going to do a genuine experiment and see which characters I can remember off the bat, without editing.

Jakesully, duh. Like the most generic white guy name short of "John Smith".
Netiri, something like that? CGI Zoe Saldana.
Sigourney Weaver.
Quarritch.
Michelle Rodriguez. She had a sci-fi helicopter gunship. I wanted to see more of her, but she died.
The tribe leader whose actor was Sagat in Street Fighter or something? poo poo, Wes Studi, I think! No idea what his character was called. Deadmeat Dad.
Was Giovanni Ribisi some tech nerd? Phoebe from Friends's brother. Bob Unobtanium, for all I know.

Anyone else just plain didn't register.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Payndz posted:

I haven't watched Avatar since the DVD came out, so I'm going to do a genuine experiment and see which characters I can remember off the bat, without editing.

Jakesully, duh. Like the most generic white guy name short of "John Smith".
Netiri, something like that? CGI Zoe Saldana.
Sigourney Weaver.
Quarritch.
Michelle Rodriguez. She had a sci-fi helicopter gunship. I wanted to see more of her, but she died.
The tribe leader whose actor was Sagat in Street Fighter or something? poo poo, Wes Studi, I think! No idea what his character was called. Deadmeat Dad.
Was Giovanni Ribisi some tech nerd? Phoebe from Friends's brother. Bob Unobtanium, for all I know.

Anyone else just plain didn't register.

That's most of the main cast, so good comprehension! Just missed Neytiri's mom/dragon lady/Mo'at, Tsu'tey (the guy who was supposed to marry Neytiri), and Norm (the avatar nerd guy).

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Fsmhunk posted:

Lol, sick. Doing the same stuff as the Marvel Guys 'It's actually evil not to like our lovely movie.'

Its ok to not like something.

Its an incredibly shithead thing to do to look down on and call people who like things you dont lesser than you.

What the gently caress is a Marvel Guy?

Youre wrong? Im showing you direct evidence that its not as irrelevant in pop culture as youre making it seem because you think it is. Can you provide any evidence to your argument besides youre own anecdotal experience?

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 14, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The online backlash for this, similar to Titanic, is because it's not for nerds, it's girl friendly/GP focused and nerds resent not being catered to. Aliens/Terminator era James Cameron was theirs so it also feels like a betrayal of sorts.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 14, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The online backlash for this, similar to Titanic, is because it's not for nerds, it's girl friendly/GP focused and nerds resent not being catered to. Aliens/Terminator era James Cameron was theirs so it also feels like a betrayal of sorts.

Also a reminder that Titanic was loving huge and James Cameron literally had back to back record setting box office numbers for both Titanic and Avatar. The man does not miss

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Michelle Rodriguez. I wanted to see more of her, but she died.

Basically every Michelle Rodriguez character ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Youre wrong? Im showing you direct evidence that its not as irrelevant in pop culture as youre making it seem because you think it is. Can you provide any evidence to your argument besides youre own anecdotal experience?

I never said Avatar was irrelevant. It was a huge movie and a huge pop culture moment. It is bad, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alhazred posted:

But so far she's come back in Fast and Furiois AND Resident Evil so she'll definitely be in Avatar
3 or 4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Resident Evil movies brought her character back so that they could kill her again. Multiple times.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alhazred posted:

Michelle Rodriguez and Sean Bean star in: The Killables.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

At least Titanic is a movie based on a famous real world event and it is an old fashioned romance story and period piece told pretty drat well. Titanic is one of the movies I respect more than I actually like.

One thing I find annoying about Avatar is that no matter where you are on the internet, 99% of the discourse around it is nothing new or interesting...its all about the CGI/tech/3D, the derivative cookie cutter plot/stock characters, or lack of cultural relevance. All of this is justified to a certain degree(especially the HFR/3D), but man its tiring after 10 years. Even after the teaser trailer for its long delayed sequel has been released, online talk about Avatar is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago. I've been guilty of this myself over the years, but to me its one of those IPs thats become associated with toxicity now like Ghostbusters. Maybe it will all change if the sequel is genuinely great, but for now Avatar is like the most boring film to talk about on the internet.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Oh yeah it's definitely the toxically masculine Nerds who don't like Avatar. Check out the replies to the Gita Jackson Avatar Article tweet and count the number of women
https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1524011470215950336
Maybe due to being female all the passionate women Avatar fans are too shy to get performatively mad about someone not liking their movie.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This thread loving rocks.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gresh posted:

At least Titanic is a movie based on a famous real world event and it is an old fashioned romance story and period piece told pretty drat well. Titanic is one of the movies I respect more than I actually like.

One thing I find annoying about Avatar is that no matter where you are on the internet, 99% of the discourse around it is nothing new or interesting...its all about the CGI/tech/3D, the derivative cookie cutter plot/stock characters, or lack of cultural relevance. All of this is justified to a certain degree(especially the HFR/3D), but man its tiring after 10 years. Even after the teaser trailer for its long delayed sequel has been released, online talk about Avatar is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago. I've been guilty of this myself over the years, but to me its one of those IPs thats become associated with toxicity now like Ghostbusters. Maybe it will all change if the sequel is genuinely great, but for now Avatar is like the most boring film to talk about on the internet.

It's a visual spectacle environmental propaganda piece for as large an audience as possible and entirely uninterested in online movie nerd discussion. Like, there's not a whole lot to say about Koyaanisqatsi or the 2001 end sequence either who cares.

e/ Thematically/story/character-wise I mean, if you're into technical film-making or technology or whatever the discussion is endless.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 15, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I remember hearing talking about the plots of the future films. There was something about introducing an alien civilization to Pandora that's not humans. Was that just fan rumors or something I imagined?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

It's a visual spectacle environmental propaganda piece for as large an audience as possible and entirely uninterested in online movie nerd discussion. Like, there's not a whole lot to say about Koyaanisqatsi or the 2001 end sequence either who cares.

e/ Thematically/story/character-wise I mean, if you're into technical film-making or technology or whatever the discussion is endless.

The end sequence of 2001 is just a retelling of the Genesis story from the bible, and in general is just a birth metaphor. It's really simplistic and I find it to be a little too direct for my tastes. I prefer my films to be a little more symbolically fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
More 3d chat: The coolest ones I saw were these IMAX featurettes about things like sharks, jungles, mountains, coral reefs and what not. They were like 45 minutes long, usually. I have an inherent fear of scuba diving and heights so these shows were about as close as I'm ever going to get to experiencing those things.

I would get super baked and most times there was hardly anyone else in the theater so it was super immersive and chill.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It won't flop, but I saw the first one in theaters (opening weekend too) and will not do the same for this or the sequels at all because I thought/still think that was a really really bad film and nothing I've seen/heard of for these makes me think different for these is possible

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

It won't flop, but I saw the first one in theaters (opening weekend too) and will not do the same for this or the sequels at all because I thought/still think that was a really really bad film and nothing I've seen/heard of for these makes me think different for these is possible

Posts like this are funny because you’re basically doing fan fiction for box office. This is going to smash all the records but especially Cameron’s own with titanic and avatar. And then he’s gonna do it again with avatar 3

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Posts like this are funny

I was responding to the thread title which is mistakenly what I thought was part of the subject and not a joke. I didn't edit it out because I don't like doing that, especially on things my mind can't/won't be changed on ("I saw the first one in theaters and won't see the rest that way, if at all, after my reaction to it")

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

I was responding to the thread title which is mistakenly what I thought was part of the subject and not a joke. I didn't edit it out because I don't like doing that, especially on things my mind can't/won't be changed on ("I saw the first one in theaters and won't see the rest that way, if at all, after my reaction to it")

It is absolutely a joke. I guess it reads too sincere lol. Also "flop" and "water" get it? Oh well.

[edit] Just reminding the thread that Cameron has made 2 of the most iconic sci-fi sequels of all time, which hasn't been brought up much. The dude knows how to do sequels proper.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 15, 2022

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Avatar 2 is gonna make 3 billion dollars easily.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My gut feeling is that Avatar 2 won't have nearly the impact or box-office of the original. However, my gut is also responsible for such predictions as "Britain won't vote for Brexit", "America won't elect Donald Trump president" and "Russia won't invade Ukraine", so hey, $3 billion BO is entirely possible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:siren: Just a heads up! :siren:

If you don't have any plans Memorial Day weekend at the end of this month (the 27th through the 30th), I'm planning to host a CineD Discord Stream for the Extended Collector's Edition of Avatar on the 29th (Sunday). All are welcome to join! Tentative time is set to 3PM CT for now. I'll share more info ITT by the end of this week.

Past CineD Discord movie streams I've hosted include: The July 4th Snyderthon, Mortal Kombat (2021), Godzilla vs Kong, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Mad Max: Fury Road/Excalibur double feature, and Dawn of the Dead (2004)/Army of the Dead double feature. All were a blast to watch with goons, despite the jankiness of Discord's streaming tech lol.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BiggerBoat posted:

More 3d chat: The coolest ones I saw were these IMAX featurettes about things like sharks, jungles, mountains, coral reefs and what not. They were like 45 minutes long, usually. I have an inherent fear of scuba diving and heights so these shows were about as close as I'm ever going to get to experiencing those things.

I would get super baked and most times there was hardly anyone else in the theater so it was super immersive and chill.

The ones that focus on waves/surfing are the absolute sickest. The depth and motion of large waves in 3D is just so hypnotizing.

e: True Lies 2..when??!?!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

The ones that focus on waves/surfing are the absolute sickest. The depth and motion of large waves in 3D is just so hypnotizing.

e: True Lies 2..when??!?!

The Werner Herzog documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams was a great experience in 3D - one of the few 3D experiences where I'm glad I got to see it as intended, it really gave off a different feeling seeing the cave art with so much more depth to it. Seeing it expressed across the uneven surfaces and contours was great and it came across very well.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

teagone posted:

[edit] Just reminding the thread that Cameron has made 2 of the most iconic sci-fi sequels of all time, which hasn't been brought up much. The dude knows how to do sequels proper.

I think his comments about how each Avatar sequel he's envisioning stands on its own, that they each have a self-contained story, explains why that is. I feel like most franchise movies I see present a full story in the first installment, then introduce a ton of extraneous lore or world-building in the sequel that's barely germane to the plot, with a half-story that leaves a ton of loose ends for subsequent installments to wrap up (or not.) When a movie becomes a franchise, the unique identity of any particular installment goes away, so sequels feel inessential or nebulous. See: Matrix Reloaded or Pirates 2: Dead Man's Chest or Pacific Rim 2 or, I don't know, the Hunger Games movies or whatever. Or the MCU, which has basically made this their business model on purpose, like a long rear end TV show.

Cameron doesn't do that. You can discuss his sequels as unique pieces of media if you want to, since they'll work on their own. Like, in a formal or functional sense. On a literal plot basis Aliens assumes you've seen Alien, but the themes it engages with or the arcs the characters experience are set up and played out coherently and completely within Aliens. It's its own movie. Likewise, Terminator 2 is a more rewarding experience after having seen the first one (the reversal with Arnold is cool, Sarah's character change is for the best), but I've met lots of people who never saw the original and still think T2 is one of the best scifi films in history, on its own merits. Cameron isn't lazy, doesn't want to coast on the momentum of a franchise being well-liked or successful, so I fully expect Avatar 2 to make a case for its own success, to be a whole rear end movie.

Whether people *like* that movie, I have no idea. But I have way more confidence that Avatar 2 will be a complete experience than, say, Fantastic Beasts 3.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's more than that - it was a "woke" movie that was specifically about white colonization on indigenous people and planet conservation, except "woke" wasn't used as a negative back when it came out, so it just became repeats of "Ferngully" and "Smurf" meme-ing instead of woke meme-ing.

Layer the default anti-popularity people, and "cinematics don't matter in filmmaking because it's all about the plot" people and you get the pile-on from separate groups.

I wish Cameron had used his original plot and aesthetic approach and not chopped it down into something more acceptable for all audiences, as I would have preferred that movie (Pandora wasn't even going to be green in plants and have almost recognizable fauna and such, EVERYTHING was supposed to be earth-unrecognizable, for instance). But it's still much more cinematic than practically anything we've gotten since, outside of very few directors like Nolan, Villeneuve, and a couple of others. Seeing the trailer before Strange just made the general look of Strange even MORE of a letdown for me, for instance.

edit: And yeah, the name memorability argument just completely misses context. Avatar came out as a one - off with no sequels, TV shows, cartoons, etc. spinning off of it, ten years ago. Iron Man gets two sequels a year and TV shows, Star Wars got sequels every few years as well as comics, books, cartoons, and then later the Disney takeover with more saturation, and so on. The older movies that didn't have sequels had a lot more media saturation and a lot of post advertising that referenced characters, etc. Avatar came out right in the middle of the start of current saturation without a media approach.

I'll give an example; after seeing Ghostbusters 1, I didn't know their names were Peter, Ray, Winston, and Egon. Oh, and Slimer. However, after 80 billion toy commercials, multiple video games based on the first movie on multiple systems, watching multiple years of The Real Ghostbusters daily, a sequel, a sequel video game, a cartoon reboot, a movie reboot, and a requel - of course I know their names.

Film scores kind of work the same way - older movies would re-play their themes on marketing or put versions of it on their cartoon versions (see Batman TAS or Beetlejuice), but by the time of the modern era, they kind of stopped doing that so they aren't as "memorable." The Elfman Batman theme is super memorable because everyone heard Shirley Jackson doing a variation of one of the motifs daily on Batman TAS that I'd argue isn't even the main theme in the movie (and definitely not the strongest).

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 19, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I recall at least one bundle of articles posted here where the evidence against Avatar having any sort of impact was:

The toys do not go for a lot of money on ebay
There isn't a massive expanded universe
People aren't coming up with theories for future sequels

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If they made Nendoroids of Jake, Neytiri, and Quaritch, I'd probably buy them. More nerd trinkets for my desk please.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot toys made a Jake. It’s probably really rare and expensive now.

Take that nerds

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also a reminder that Titanic was loving huge and James Cameron literally had back to back record setting box office numbers for both Titanic and Avatar. The man does not miss

The abyss under performed. Strange Days was an outright flop. Cameron can miss.

Also, The Abyss, True Lies and Stange Days make an interesting thematic trilogy where Cameron works through some poo poo about relationships and breakups

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also, The Abyss, True Lies and Stange Days make an interesting thematic trilogy where Cameron works through some poo poo about relationships and breakups

Cameron did not direct Strange Days, Katheryn Bigelow did.

He was a producer, but he's produced quite a lot of duds. His directorial career, however, is extraordinary.

The Abyss and True Lies were his least successful in terms of meeting expected gross, but not significantly so.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
all the contrarian nerds forget one thing. if you see this in 3d on shrooms, it's going to blow your mind. that's why i saw the original in theatres twice, once without and once with shrooms. it matches the lego movie as being a time when i walked out of the theatre and basically missed the visuals immediately.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
He also co-scripted Strange Days and worked as lead (but uncredited) editor

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've never seen Avatar (though I plan on fixing that before the new one comes out) and even I can remember that the protagonist's name is Jake Sully.

It's simple to remember and here's how:

Jake - Really standard white guy name.
Sully - The guy who landed that plane.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

High Warlord Zog posted:

He also co-scripted Strange Days and worked as lead (but uncredited) editor

Yeah, but if we're going to get this technical, we'll have to add in Piranha 2: The Spawning, Rambo 2 (first script draft), and T2:3D.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

sorry cant you over all the money titanic and avatar made back to back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Liked the first one, excited for this one, plus I have to support my boy Jimmy C for giving me the beautiful double whammy in 2019 of Alita and Dark Fate, which both own, no I will not be taking questions at this time.