Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The weirdest Metroidvania I enjoyed was probably Forma.8

Combat was very simplistic, but the world felt properly alien and exploration was king. Boss fights were more puzzles than requiring reflexes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Ato is another great little metroidvania. I'm about 3 hours into it currently and likely somewhere around halfway through. It is a tremendously fun game. The graphics are bad. The game looks like a prototype. But, the game play is polished and it feels great to play both in terms of movement abilities and combat mechanics. It's a bit unusual for a metroidvania in that there are few enemies outside of the boss encounters.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Was axiom verge 2 good? I know it's more metroid than castlevania but I remember liking the original.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Axiom verge 2 is set in the same universe but it plays pretty differently. For one thing you have a melee weapon instead of GUN.
I had fun with it though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Environmental Station Alpha is a fantastic lofi metroidvania brimming with secrets by the Baba is You guy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fuligin posted:

Environmental Station Alpha is a fantastic lofi metroidvania brimming with secrets by the Baba is You guy
Just looked at the trailer for that and by golly, that's no metroidvania, that's Metroid. Mmm, delicious, cheers for the suggestion!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing the original Rogue Legacy is rough now, man

I forgot how many classes were useless

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fuligin posted:

also one of the Noita guys, i recently realized

Hempuli's got one helluva portfolio

anywho yes ESA is extremely good. comes with a remarkable amount of postgame challenges and obscure hidden poo poo (much like Noita)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 14, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

sorry, that was misleading, i don't even give a poo poo about the "devs lied! they lied about everything!" aspect of it, it's just that at its inception no man's sky was a "punch trees to get wood" survival sim and i hate those

Pages back, but I thought Ni Man's Sky was this?

Can someone give me summary of what kinda game it is?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's an experiment in developing the worst UI and UX possible while still maintaining the illusion of being a coherent videogame.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pentyne posted:

You could do a TEDtalk on No Man's Sky as one of the greatest examples of social media and overpromise/underdeliver ever and how 6 years later a lot of people still only think "well they said multiplayer at launch and they lied" while they've gone and made one of the best games in that style with free content updates at a level of 2-3 entire games.
The game is not interesting to me, my options are joke about the launch or say nothing at all (I choose the latter) and I assume that's true of a lot of people who have no interest in the procgen exploration sandbox genre.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The last time I played No Man's Sky, it was an amalgam of their original idea for a main campaign and their new idea for a story and both quests existed at the same time and it was confusing what I was supposed to be doing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My main gripe about No Man's Sky, even in its current state, is how basic and featureless its landscape generation is. I'm here to fly around the galaxy and see wild alien planets, but 95% of them feature the exact same rolling hills, unrealistic coastlines, and branching cave systems. There's a small handful of hand-crafted unique landscape features that show up on the odd planet here or there, but those planets are the same as every other except with whatever hand-crafted doodad spraybrushed across it. There are no awe-inspiring vistas, rocky mountain ranges, cliffs, or really anything unique or alien at all within the game's procedural landscape generation. Every single planet is a generic deformation mesh applied over a flat wasteland, the mountains are hills with rock textures. Nothing looks like the result of tectonics or erosion or construction or catastrophic destruction or really anything. It looks like white noise, because it is.

I don't think any endless exploration procgen game has ever really nailed it, but No Man's Sky is among the worst at creating actual interesting landscapes. Nothing in it looks like a real place that exists and has actual physics or history.

e:
I did a youtube search of "No Man's Sky coolest planets" and this is the top result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vGZyLFwHJM

If you watch through it or at least click through each of the planets, you'll notice that they are all virtually identical except with some maximum hill elevation sliders changed and different color palettes.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anything that is procedurally generated ever been good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Deep Rock Galactic
Hades

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cojawfee posted:

Procgen is kind of a broad term that can kind of mean any randomness which is for sure ok in games like Binding of Isaac where it's just pasting premade room layouts together according to an algorithm or in Risk of Rain 2 where enemies are randomly selected according to a point system or any of the other thousands of games out there that have seeds that determine the content of your playthrough. But usually when the term procedural generation is used in marketing material, suggesting some kind of dynamic infinite scope rather than combinations of premade parts, it sets off alarm bells for me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 14, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cojawfee posted:

Yes top 10 desert island game of all time - the binding of Isaac

Oh and Spelunky

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The important thing is that the procgen level is just a background for you to enjoy good and fun game systems. The procgen itself isn't any fun, it's just a way to have a variety of different contexts in which to do the fun bits.

NMS at launch seemed to go all in on the procgen being the whole point of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve seen a fair few number of good looking landscapes in Valheim even that is a pretty basic kind of good looking. I think in that games it’s more in the lighting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cojawfee posted:

Noita.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Terraria.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spelunky!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

deep rock galactic

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
nethack

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my rear end

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The important thing is that the procgen level is just a background for you to enjoy good and fun game systems. The procgen itself isn't any fun, it's just a way to have a variety of different contexts in which to do the fun bits.

NMS at launch seemed to go all in on the procgen being the whole point of the game.
NMS is 100% a game that started as someone's side project where they figured out a generation algorithm and since then has just been a dozen people bolting gameplay onto it. The terrain is often disappointing and flora and fauna a bit similar, but hidden underneath is an indie dev's walking simulator wherein they ruminate about the nature of designed worlds. Then you shoot some robots and inject their blood for power.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Or it's a doofy space game where you gently caress about and see funny animals and build a space base and fly a spaceship a bit. Lots of people enjoy it for lots of hours. I have fun with it. It isn't deep though and if 'shoot rocks to get ferrite dust to make metal plating to build a thing' sounds like your soul will die, do not get it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What I want out of NMS, or really any game in that general genre, is for my mining, crafting, building to result in different gameplay.

Like, ideally you mine craft build and now you double jump, or now you have access to a new vehicle, or now you can communicate with an alien race, or whatever. And while NMS has a tiny little bit of that, it's mostly 'if you mine red rock you can build a laser to mine red rock faster'.

That sort of thing can ~feel~ like progress and whatever until you realize nothing is loving changing and nothing has any sort of actual progression tied to it because you really only have one single way to interact with the world, and it's just not that interesting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Terraria really did a fantastic job with its world generation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even Space Engine's procgen seems disappointing to me these days, even though it blew my mind a decade ago :( But there have been some pretty big advances in AI image generation lately and in theory the same principles should eventually be applicable to generating 3d spaces, so we might have sweet AI gen exploration games in the near future where you could maybe even write a text prompt about the world you want to explore and it will generate it for you :unsmith:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Valheim is the best looking survival game imo. It's just so pretty and feels reasonably enough like designed terrain

I don't think it'd be much fun to play by yourself tho

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You're punching trees and getting wood but it's to keep your life support systems active.
Eventually it gets to the point where you start upgrading your ships and building bases.
Before that you're traipsing from waypoint to waypoint seeing what cool progen thing you've seen 10 times you're about to see again.
And taking photos of wildlife.
And not shooting anything because violence bad and the robot cops are everywhere.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Salt & Sacrifice is pretty cool. Couldn't get into the first game when I tried it but I like that they broke away from just "2D Dark Souls" with this one. The structure is neat, you've got a few different main hub zones you unlock pretty shortly into the game, and all of them seem to go quite deep. Your progress is gated by doors that require you to kill X number of different Mages (which are the bosses of the game, but the definition of "Mage" here is pretty far-reaching, they're giant monsters and not dudes in shiny robes) but which ones you kill are up to you, while the difficulty curve encourages rotating between the different zones nothing is stopping you from hunting guys out of your depth and tackling stuff in the order you want to.

After you kill a Mage it has a chance to start showing up randomly in the world (at least I think this is how it works?) where it will generally cause chaos and summon minions and occasionally teleport away from you. Its minions don't just target you, they'll fight the enemy inhabitants of the zone and other Mages' minions and just create a shitshow in general, it's really fun to stand back and watch them blow each other up. Their respawning is a good thing, because the Mages all drop parts that you can craft into powerful thematic equipment a la Monster Hunter. On top of that there's a little bit of a Metroidvania element where you find new movement abilities and stuff while exploring zones. Also I haven't messed with it much yet but there's co-op, PVP invasions, and Dark Souls style covenants. It's a very weird little package but it certainly has its own identity and at the end of the day it works.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

Valheim is the best looking survival game imo. It's just so pretty and feels reasonably enough like designed terrain

I don't think it'd be much fun to play by yourself tho

I had a blast soloing the first 2-3 biomes, doing all the survival and construction stuff was really neat. As a solo player the main complaint I had was that combat wasn't very fun, and there was way too much of it. My experience declined sharply at the swamp, when fighting skeleton bros became a core thing, and it pretty much flatlined when I hit the killer mosquito area where the only way to further progress my tech tree was to dive whole hog into combat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

also I think going forward I’m only going to use metroidvania to describe games with those elements that don’t swing too heavily in either metroid influence or Iga influence. otherwise I’ll just say metroid style game, Iga style game, Zelda style game, etc

so like Timespinner or Deedlit are Iga style, Transmute or ESA is Metroid style, Hatchwell or Prodigal are Zelda style. while something like Catmaze, or Aquaria, or Momodora, or Mystik Belle are just Metroidvanias as they’re all doing their own thing

this only really will impact any of my ‘upcoming games’ posts or recommendations but yeah I realize people are often lookin for a specific vibe when they want an MV

I will not use ‘search action’, that is stupid. thanks for coming to my Ted talk

.... iga style is dead center on the metroidvania axis. One end of the axis is Metroid, the other is "Castlevania, Like Castlevania 1 or 3 or 4." The term was coined to refer to the first of the Iga Style ones, Symphony of the Night.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zereth posted:

.... iga style is dead center on the metroidvania axis. One end of the axis is Metroid, the other is "Castlevania, Like Castlevania 1 or 3 or 4." The term was coined to refer to the first of the Iga Style ones, Symphony of the Night.

No, Castlevania 1, 3 and 4 are just platformers. They're not even on the metroidvania axis, which, as you say, was coined for the first IGAvania. It's between pure exploration and RPG mechanics, imo.

You don't gain levels or equip stronger armor in Metroid, nor do you grind for rare item drops. Of course, neither end is actually absolutely pure, for that you'd have to expand it out to, like, Mario Bros on one end and Cookie Clicker on the other.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Begemot posted:

You don't gain levels or equip stronger armor in Metroid

Minor nit, you do literally get multiple tiers of armours that cut damage by half each time you upgrade in Super Metroid, not to mention other types of vertical progression with HP upgrades, more damaging beams and lasers, etc. No comment on the other side of that 'axis' as all I've played from there is Aria of Sorrow, which I assume isn't the defining piece of the genre.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Metroidvania has never meant anything more to me than (1) mostly-seamless open world with (2) gated progression based on items you find and (3) areas you've passed and shortcuts you've noted becoming accessible if you backtrack in the future with more traversal items :kiddo: I don't even consider the metroid and (metroidvania-style) castlevania series to be two distinct perpendicular axes, they are virtually the same exact thing. And as far as I know the word "metroidvania" was originally used specifically to describe the Castlevania games that were like Metroid as a distinct and separate thing from the Castlevania games that were not.

Genre names are pointless because people decide on their own interpretations of them and we will never all agree and that's why using them in the most generalized way possible is best. (Metroidvanias are games that are largely like metroid or castlevania - not games that borrow a couple elements from those series, roguelikes are games that are largely like rogue, not games that borrow a couple elements from rogue)

e: Granted despite playing a lot of metroidvanias and being familiar with every video game ever released, I have not even heard of any of the games in this post except for Aquaria and Deedlit:

The 7th Guest posted:

so like Timespinner or Deedlit are Iga style, Transmute or ESA is Metroid style, Hatchwell or Prodigal are Zelda style. while something like Catmaze, or Aquaria, or Momodora, or Mystik Belle are just Metroidvanias as they’re all doing their own thing

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 14, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Also I haven't messed with it much yet but there's co-op, PVP invasions, and Dark Souls style covenants. It's a very weird little package but it certainly has its own identity and at the end of the day it works.

I'm also loving Salt & Sacrifice, played it a lot only to take a break to solve some puzzles with a friend on We were here Forever. It indeed plays differently than the first one and I think that's why the response has been so divided. Some people wanted more of the exact same. I've been faffing about a lot in the first two areas, clearing them, and only recently moved on the 3rd and killed the first mage and first non-mage boss there. Going heavy armor with lots of poise (it actually works, it's like a second stamina bar) with a greathammer and the Blade of Dawn (sunbro lv 5 twohander).

The Co-op/PVP side is similar to Dark Souls; there's the sunbro equivalent (Dawnblades? can never remember the name) and you use a golden candle to indicate you want help, or a pale one to get summoned to help someone else. You can invade another, or even be summoned to kill an invader. At least these factions I've found, don't know if there are more, weirder ones.

In a way it reminds me of Elden Ring, where most of the encounters are immediately better with a friend. In fact it almost feels like they were balanced to be played with two people, at least some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo the top tier of modern meteoidvanias is Hollow Knight, Grime and Ender Lillies.