Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Powkiddy has a new handheld on the way; https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...childrens-gifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Got my refund approved. Hopefully everyone else who got screwed in this got their refunds smoothly too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you need a usb c charger this is a pretty solid deal.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1524546730003341312?s=21&t=uI0YQpRgr3L_HkQhjumdHQ

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Happy start/select face 10/10

Every other button position -42069/10

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

otter posted:

I don't suppose anyone who ordered the miyoo mini through that aliexpress deal actually had one arrive, have they?
I mean, I kinda thought it would be too good to be true. I've never had to file a dispute before with them. Am I basically going to get the shaft because they sent a recycled shipping # that says it was delivered to someone in Canada?

I started a dispute, but it finally showed up a week later

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is hilarious

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

This is hilarious

I'm the black laser coming out of the oversized console, resting perfectly on that guy's arm.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got my KeepRetro Miyoo Mini yesterday and really like it so far! Installed Onion OS. My only complaint is I can't figure out how to hold the thing for games that require L and R buttons-- I have pretty small hands but it is pretty awkward to, say, shift gears in Ridge Racer Type 4. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually though since the screen is so nice and most of my PS1 games seem to be running perfectly at 2x res.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

How are the screens on the Miyoo Mini, in-hand? I'd saw conflicting reviews when they first started appearing that the screen was either fantastic or a bit on the hazy side.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wee Bairns posted:

I'd saw conflicting reviews when they first started appearing that the screen was either fantastic or a bit on the hazy side.

It might even be both due to lack of QA, thus a screen lottery.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wee Bairns posted:

How are the screens on the Miyoo Mini, in-hand? I'd saw conflicting reviews when they first started appearing that the screen was either fantastic or a bit on the hazy side.

Mine is great, probably one of the nicest looking screens I've seen on one of these especially for the price. I think the ones you can buy now have a better screen than the first run of them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Mine is great, probably one of the nicest looking screens I've seen on one of these especially for the price. I think the ones you can buy now have a better screen than the first run of them

Yeah same here.

The screen is fantastic.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I found the transparent blue miyoo mini on aliexpress, but it’s not actually released yet is it?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32568...4e1d64%21%21rec

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
All this talk of the miyoo mini is making me regret buying an RP2+ but I know once it finally arrives I'll be vindicated.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Alucard posted:

All this talk of the miyoo mini is making me regret buying an RP2+ but I know once it finally arrives I'll be vindicated.

Just get both. You know you want to.

Honestly though, the Miyoo is cool for a super portable thing to gently caress around with in a waiting room or something, but it chokes hard at anything above PS1 - I don't think I'd want to use it as a primary handheld emulator. The RP2+ is pretty much best in class for power:cost ratio for the time being.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I actually just ordered a RP2+ for retro achievements and games that require heavy use of the shoulder buttons, which are painful for me to use on the MiyooMini. I think they'll make a strong team.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I can’t bring myself to order a rp2+ until they come in cute colors!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

CRAYON posted:

I actually just ordered a RP2+ for retro achievements and games that require heavy use of the shoulder buttons, which are painful for me to use on the MiyooMini. I think they'll make a strong team.

Hell yeah, same here. I just keep the miyoo in my laptop bag to goof around with whenever there's a few minutes of boredom to kill.

The other thing I forgot - the Miyoo doesn't have an internal clock so anything that wants to use real-time functionality is just SOL. I think if you install OnionOS it'll auto-move the system clock forward 4 hours every time you turn it back on to try to make up for that, but it's a pretty jank workaround.

I'm getting toward the end of Pokemon Unbound on my RP2+ now and it's been a really fun romhack.

remigious posted:

I can’t bring myself to order a rp2+ until they come in cute colors!

You'll be waiting a while, probably. They keep doubling down on not restocking or rerunning the funtastic shells for it despite popular demand, and gently caress paying 150+ for an RP2 with one on ebay and reshelling it. It's a shame really, I love me some transparent electronics.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 13, 2022

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think they accidentally squished the worm that exudes the clear plastic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still have no clue when my Odin pro is going to come lol

I sent them an email asking about it since the transparent purple color wasn’t listed at all in their shipping updates.

The Odin lite for $199 is a pretty drat good deal though that’s for sure.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Which of the cool handhelds is the fastest to boot up & get into a game? I'm enjoying my RGB10 Max 2 a lot, but I want instant gratification when it comes to retro games haha. Hows the boot up time for a hacked psp/ds/vita?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Well the Vita has pretty much instant sleep/wake but as others have said, it works better as a PS1/PSP/Vita platform than a general purpose emulator box. It struggled with N64 and even some SNES last time I checked.

That said, if you're a fan of that library (like I am) and you want that premium hardware experience it's one of the best handheld purchases you can make imo

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I recently got one of those zelda game and watches and I’ve realized a fast time to get Into The Game is absolutely necessary for me. How’s an Anbernic 351 for that? Like boot time and such

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 351P which I have you can go from pressing on button to playing game in about 5 seconds if you leave it in standby rather than full shutting it down every time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

Which of the cool handhelds is the fastest to boot up & get into a game? I'm enjoying my RGB10 Max 2 a lot, but I want instant gratification when it comes to retro games haha. Hows the boot up time for a hacked psp/ds/vita?

Miyoo Mini is pretty fast, you can also set it to open a game automatically

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Since I've got time to kill here's my boot up from power off for everything I have handy.

Hacked 2DSXL with a medium/small amount of games: 9 seconds
351v with latest AmberElec: 19 seconds
RGB10 Max with EmuElec: 24 seconds
RG552 with JELOS: 11 seconds

For the retro handhelds I've got fairly small curated collections, no more than 200 games tops. Out of those I'd only trust using the sleep mode on the 2DS XL.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

CFox posted:

Since I've got time to kill here's my boot up from power off for everything I have handy.

For the retro handhelds I've got fairly small curated collections, no more than 200 games tops. Out of those I'd only trust using the sleep mode on the 2DS XL.

Thanks for the timings. To add my own, RGB10 Max 2 with firmware Batocera v33: 43 seconds to boot to the menu, then about 10 more to start a GBA game. :corsair:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

RP2+ from a full power off was about 43 seconds to the android lock screen, but it also has a pretty reliable sleep mode that's pretty much instantly on/off and seems to be pretty light on power consumption (i.e. I've left it sleeping for multiple days and come back to a 70%ish battery) so I rarely do a cold boot anyway.

I do still make a savestate real quick before putting it to sleep just in case though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's going to be really interesting to see where the Odin Lite falls into this if the RG552 is that fast.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

remigious posted:

I found the transparent blue miyoo mini on aliexpress, but it’s not actually released yet is it?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32568...4e1d64%21%21rec

We should start drawing RNG straws for goons to test Ali sellers.

Like those first few dudes at the end of Last Crusade.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Rolo posted:

This one is the actual Miyoo aliexpress store, so it should be totally fine. I bought my v2 mini from them last month and it arrived safe and sound a couple weeks back.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That appears to be the MIYOO Official Store which seems to be fairly quick and reliable based on my experience and everything I've read.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh snap I want that blue too.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DHL sucks. I got a shipping confirmation last week saying it should be here by today but nothing else since. Tracking on the website shows the package in a warehouse in China. I just want to know where my RP2+ is.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

It's going to be really interesting to see where the Odin Lite falls into this if the RG552 is that fast.

Odin Lite is Android so probably similar to RP2+

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

Odin Lite is Android so probably similar to RP2+

Well they just added the ability to use other firmwares with the Odin handhelds.

quote:

Custom boot works!

We are glad to announce that custom boot now works perfect on Odin Pro, now we made it is possible to boot to any of third party OS image installed on the new user data partition like Windows/Debian/LineageOS and even game specific OS like Linux based Emuelec and Batocera, at the same time, keep the OTA feature safe on Android system.

You just need to press the power button only if you want to boot to Android, and you can press volume+ and power button combo to boot to project Valhalla, it just works as expected and it feels so convenient and impressive.

We will release another OTA to support custom boot before next weekend and release Linux kernel at that moment, I hope it can do a real help community contributors who shared a great enthusiasm on making Odin an ideal device for third party OS friendly and software feature rich. Thanks so much for those people who gave us this precious suggestion which bring our device to a completely new level of user-friendly and customization friendly.

This should eventually make its way to the lite as well

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

I bought one using this link from RGC: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32568...SmartRedirect=y
Hopefully it arrives soonish!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well they just added the ability to use other firmwares with the Odin handhelds.

This should eventually make its way to the lite as well

It's going to be a stretch on the Lite mostly because the SoC isn't nearly as popular as the snapdragon though so developers would have to do entirely new forks for the d900

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CFox posted:

Not sure how there’s so much variability but my JELOS 552 is far slower than that. I videoed it with my phone so I could crop to the time I pressed the power button, and it’s 14 seconds before I reach the 2nd JELOS boot screen (with the progress bar, where I guess it’s parsing the game library) and 24 seconds total until Emulation Station is on-screen (admittedly with a larger library than you).

The Miyoo Mini with OnionOS has cartridge mode which boots straight back into your last game/state, so it’s harder to compare to the Anbernics. But I set ES to boot to my last selection, meaning it was just two “A” presses to get into my last game. From power button to in-game with a GBC game:
  • RG552/JELOS: 32 seconds
  • RG351P/351Elec: 40 seconds
  • Miyoo Mini/OnionOS: 9 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Got my Miyoo Mini today, updated the firmware, put Onion on it and a bunch of old GB games, handed it to my wife after I booted up Tetris, and now I'm down one Miyoo Mini.

Mission failed successfully