Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

pwn posted:

1. Lionsgate, already redeemed 2018.11.24 via Vudu
2. Funimation, invalid, so this one probably expired
3. Flixster, already redeemed, unknown when
4. Ghostbusters 2
5. Wolf of Wall Street, already redeemed today

1 out of 5, that's one more than I started with. Thanks!

oh poo poo, I forgot I bought some of them used. That's annoying, I was really hoping someone would end up with They Came Together. More people need to see that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

StudioCanal UK just announced Orson Welles' The Trial for UHD coming this fall, so it's 99% likely we're getting a Criterion UHD around that time as well.

Also, Kino Lorber's rep mentioned on Home Theater Forum that it's looking like Disney won't allow any renewals or reprints of the titles they licensed. Both the ABC/Touchstone stuff and Fox. There's a bunch of titles in their While Supplies Last sale for discs going OOP as soon as they're sold out. Many have already gone out of print over the last year or two.

They're also losing all the Mario Bava films, while I spotted on Facebook a post about someone recording a new commentary for The Whip and the Body... so perhaps we're getting a big box from Arrow or someone. Arrow took their Bava titles out of print, so who knows.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

does Severin do the big clear cases like Criterion and Arrow, or regular bluray cases?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

does Severin do the big clear cases like Criterion and Arrow, or regular bluray cases?

their newer releases are in black cases

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The clear cases Criterion and Indicator* use are Scanavo cases, and honestly I wish I could get a few spares. An Indicator title I bought in March came with a busted case but it clearly was not worth trying to return overseas

*limited editions, they use clear cases like Eureka does for their standard editions

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I need to get a few replacement case. Mostly minor damage but my old dog chewed on the case for The Name of the Rose more than 10 years ago and I’ve been meaning to fix it ever since.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Orson Welles' The Trial for UHD

let’s fuckin goooooooo

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo, I forgot I bought some of them used. That's annoying, I was really hoping someone would end up with They Came Together. More people need to see that movie

I looked it up and was wondering if I had the right movie, until further examination revealed it to be a satire. I feel pretty compelled to find a copy soon, with slipcover of course.

I like that they really committed to the gag of the name being over the wrong person in every piece of marketing. A deep cut.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Having finally watched the BFI edition I can't recommend Out Of The Blue highly enough if you're gonna splash out at Severin's sale.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pwn posted:

The clear cases Criterion and Indicator* use are Scanavo cases, and honestly I wish I could get a few spares. An Indicator title I bought in March came with a busted case but it clearly was not worth trying to return overseas

*limited editions, they use clear cases like Eureka does for their standard editions

Casimir Radon posted:

I need to get a few replacement case. Mostly minor damage but my old dog chewed on the case for The Name of the Rose more than 10 years ago and I’ve been meaning to fix it ever since.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/cases

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Escape from NY UHD lands today, hell yeah. I've never seen it but I have yet to be disappointed/bored by a Carpenter film. This also sets me up to grab Escape from LA UHD at some point.

Also the Carpenter UHD's have all been great so I expect this will be the same. The intro sequence for this one is where he just lined out tape on black shapes to recreate the look of modern computer graphics back in the day, right? I love ingenuity like that. God, CG has robbed us of so much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boywhiz88 posted:

My Escape from NY UHD lands today, hell yeah. I've never seen it but I have yet to be disappointed/bored by a Carpenter film. This also sets me up to grab Escape from LA UHD at some point.

Also the Carpenter UHD's have all been great so I expect this will be the same. The intro sequence for this one is where he just lined out tape on black shapes to recreate the look of modern computer graphics back in the day, right? I love ingenuity like that. God, CG has robbed us of so much.

I would highly recommend renting Escape from LA before considering buying it. It’s, uh… it’s a movie alright

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

On the other hand, get Escape From L.A. as soon as you can.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy you know what day

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1525102654900342785

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hell yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Part of me wants to say I'd love to see a Friday the 13th UHD set, maybe like divided up into Vol. 1/Vol. 2/Vol. 3. But I know there are some goons out there who spent a chunk of money on that Shout Factory collectors edition set and I'd feel bad for them.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Part of me wants to say I'd love to see a Friday the 13th UHD set, maybe like divided up into Vol. 1/Vol. 2/Vol. 3. But I know there are some goons out there who spent a chunk of money on that Shout Factory collectors edition set and I'd feel bad for them.

Shortly before that set released I decided to just stop buying standard Blus. This and the Event Horizon both getting 4ks within a year of the blu special editions just reinforces that was the right choice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I bought that blu-ray set, but thankfully am not married to the whole F13 franchise and only really want 1, 6, 7, and X on UHD so i got no problem double dipping for those.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I love F13 and I’m happy for anyone who wanted the movies in 4K but I’m more than satisfied with the Scream Factory Blu-ray set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

I love F13 and I’m happy for anyone who wanted the movies in 4K but I’m more than satisfied with the Scream Factory Blu-ray set.

I can definitely understand that. I really don't have much interest in the first film on UHD, it's actually one of my least favorite of the series. If I really boiled it down to the sequels I would be seriously interested in on UHD it would probably just be Part 4, Jason Lives, Part 7, and Jason Takes Manhattan. So less than half of the series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd consider getting uhds for the series if they can restore the cut gore from some of the later entries, which ain't happening

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd consider getting uhds for the series if they can restore the cut gore from some of the later entries, which ain't happening

Part 7 UHD with restored kills would be day 1 for me, otherwise I think I’m pretty happy with the Scream factory set. I don’t have the same affection for this series as I do for Halloween or (praying for a new UHD set announcement) A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don’t think Friday the 13th is a visual marvel that will come alive in UHD. Not that it won’t look good, but it doesn’t feel like I NEED to upgrade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

I don’t think Friday the 13th is a visual marvel that will come alive in UHD. Not that it won’t look good, but it doesn’t feel like I NEED to upgrade.

Agreed, but I'm sure there's also a big difference between upgrading from an older blu ray versus if you have the more recent release from 2020 that was a new 4k scan.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I don't suppose any of the slipcover-haters from a couple pages back would like to sell or give me their slip for The Dirty Dolls / Things to Come, would they? I recently started collecting AGFA releases and that's the only one I bought without a slip and now it's bothering me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I don't suppose any of the slipcover-haters from a couple pages back would like to sell or give me their slip for The Dirty Dolls / Things to Come, would they? I recently started collecting AGFA releases and that's the only one I bought without a slip and now it's bothering me.

I didn't think that one was sold without a slipcover

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

It probably wasn't, I bought it on eBay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Friday 1 is one of my least favorites in the series.

No Jason, no laundry.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CelticPredator posted:

Friday 1 is one of my least favorites in the series.

No Jason, no laundry.

Imagine if they kept with Pamela Voorhees in the sequels. A whole franchise about an undead, headless mother seeking vengeance. That’d actually be a pretty cool idea to do if they ever make another Friday the 13th.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That I’d be down with!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seems like a great way to get around the weird rights issues.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well no bc I want Jason. He’s my boy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

david_a posted:

I would highly recommend renting Escape from LA before considering buying it. It’s, uh… it’s a movie alright

The remixed score by Shirley Walker is quite nice.

It's also the movie that made me swear off How Did This Get Made forever, after about 20~30 minutes while driving from Rotorua to Auckland. Paul Scheer talking over people with endlessly with the same loving "Escape from lolololololololol funny funny maybe if I repeat the same joke a million times, it'll be funny on the 10000001th repetition of it" routine made me want to punch him in his stupid loving face. More like How Did People Think This loving Podcast Was Worth Listening To.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Escape from LA has some really good ideas. Weighed down by a ton of garbage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

Well no bc I want Jason. He’s my boy.

Pamela will put a rotten pumpkin on her neck stump, and put a hockey mask over it, and will functionally be the same character as Jason but won't be called "Jason" at any point in the movie. Nor will his mom be referenced by name, it'll just be a headless corpse with no name, with a rotten pumpkin for a head wearing a hockey mask.

Of course you also couldn't directly refer to how she lost her head since that was in the original script, you'd have to come up with a whole new backstory. But it'd be just the same, you guys!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Couple of Kino titles I'm gonna get this month: Times Square and Flower Drum Song. Also gonna get a couple Gasper Noé titles from Arrow UK: Enter the Void and Lux Aeterna. Gonna have that Nightmare Week Film Festival soon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Part of the appeal for Escape from LA for me is that I like some songs off the soundtrack, but I’ll take what everyone has said under consideration.

I’ve actually never seen a Friday the 13th movie. I should rectify that on the next one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Things Escape from L.A. has going for it:

The evil president is pretty explicitly Jerry Falwell
The president’s daughter being brainwashed in VR
Bruce Campbell as the Surgeon Genera of Beverly Hills
A joke about Disneyland being in ruins because of “that Paris thing”
Snake destroying the internet

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Casimir Radon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_0iP8TSRo&t=68s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

edogawa rando posted:

The remixed score by Shirley Walker is quite nice.

It's also the movie that made me swear off How Did This Get Made forever, after about 20~30 minutes while driving from Rotorua to Auckland. Paul Scheer talking over people with endlessly with the same loving "Escape from lolololololololol funny funny maybe if I repeat the same joke a million times, it'll be funny on the 10000001th repetition of it" routine made me want to punch him in his stupid loving face. More like How Did People Think This loving Podcast Was Worth Listening To.

99% of podcasts are just self important validation seeking mediocre white people having their egos further inflated by the fact that people inexplicably want to hear anything they have to say.

Casimir Radon posted:

I spend a lot of time thinking about how I wish I could push that button from the end of the movie. But anyway the movie is pretty clearly a meta joke. John Carpenter thought it was stupid that they asked him to make a sequel so he just made the goofiest possible remake of the first movie. It's obviously not as good as Escape from New York but it's still a pretty fun movie for the reasons you mentioned among others.