Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I didn't even know that existed and now I wants one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sebmojo posted:

are you giving them all hardbound copies of the campaign? that's amazing!

hardbound signed by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan copies!

the players put in way more work than I did. I mostly just read out of books and copypasted art assets from epic isometrics patreon. hell, even leveling up was just following one of ASHLAW's character builds for the class and filling out the roll20 sheets

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fosborb posted:

hardbound signed by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan copies!

the players put in way more work than I did. I mostly just read out of books and copypasted art assets from epic isometrics patreon. hell, even leveling up was just following one of ASHLAW's character builds for the class and filling out the roll20 sheets

:swoon:

I've been emailing him a bit over the years, I might send him some stuff about your campaign if you don't mind. Man is easily my favourite person working in the hobby, he's so prolific and so ridiculously good in so many different and wildly disparate systems (check out the Zalozhny Quartet, which he did for Nights Dark Agents). And he's published three (excellent) novels!

Hilariously, one of the characters in the novels is a literal thief who is turning to stone and eventually turns into a dungeon

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sebmojo posted:

:swoon:

I've been emailing him a bit over the years, I might send him some stuff about your campaign if you don't mind.

of course! it's a hell of a group at Pelgrane all around. can't wait for his next campaign book

I keep trying to find the next game for my group, that is as easy to run as 13th Age + Stone Thief and all anyone can point to is just earlier Gareth books. no one is even close to his level

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fosborb posted:

of course! it's a hell of a group at Pelgrane all around. can't wait for his next campaign book

I keep trying to find the next game for my group, that is as easy to run as 13th Age + Stone Thief and all anyone can point to is just earlier Gareth books. no one is even close to his level

his pirates of drinax for mongoose traveller is also incredible, one of the missions is 'heist an imperial treasure ship' and it's just insanely epic

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wait wait wait.

Pirates of Drinax and Eyes of the Stone Thief are by the same person?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmao, right?!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He also wrote a great campaign for nda, and a bunch of other stuff (including one about psychic space nazis for Bulldogs, a sci fi Fate hack)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sebmojo posted:

his pirates of drinax for mongoose traveller is also incredible, one of the missions is 'heist an imperial treasure ship' and it's just insanely epic

oh word, that's that settled then.

time to learn traveler and I guess post in a different thread for the next few years

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

fosborb posted:

time to learn traveler and I guess post in a different thread for the next few years

:emptyquote:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Last battle fought. The Stone Thief campaign is finally done after 3 years 2 weeks. There will be one more session on what the characters do afterward, but that's going to be entirely on the players. They all have the campaign book now and will use that to send things off once and for all. Its going to be insanely shoe gazey and wonderful and boring as hell to all of our partners to hear about the next day

The last encounter was against the Lich King itself

Epic Isometric continues to loving kill it at the last minute with maps I can use. literally the most recent update:

That is clearly the Lich King's manor that the players have been teleported to and magically sealed off from the rest of the world. It even has the colors I've been using for Lich King shenanigans from the very beginning!

Without going into just writing up the whole thing like i desperately want to, here's a quick run down on how I ran a full on Icon fight at 10th level.

PCs did not have a chance to fully heal ahead of time, though at this point they knew what was coming and were saving dailies to nova anyway)

At some point during the session they could do 1 flashback scene where they discuss and plan for something that the players learn about this session. (here, Lich King can use all Necromancer spells as often as it wants, including the insta-kill Finger of Death spell)

Lich King starts at 1500 hp, triple strength level 13, and stayed off the map most of the encounter. Absolutely key to survivability against 5 level 10s

The fight broke down into 3 phases

phase 1: early initiative PCs get some pot shots off, Lich King summons an Icon from a past age to fight for it and the Lich King teleports off the map. Icon was the Great Ghoul's Maw (Bestiary 2- 1040 hp) which spit out High Priests each with 1d6+1 greater summoned ghouls. When the Great Ghoul's Maw is staggered, Lich King comes back.

phase 2: When the Great Ghoul's Maw is defeated, the Lich King raises it back from the dead (again), disappears (again), and the PCs fight the Great Ghoul's Shadow (also Bestiary 2 - only 800 hp now). When the Great Ghoul's Shadow is staggered, the Lich King comes back again.

phase 3: Only the Lich King remains and it starts slinging level 7 and 9 Necromancer spells left and right until the end

The fight ended with one final use of the combo of Grommar's Blade (taken all the way from the Minotaur in the Gauntlet) and the Belt of Skulls (bought at a merchant in Deep Keep - something I hurriedly grabbed from the Book of Loot when a player asked, "so... this orc town clearly has people selling orc things -- what's the most expensive thing they have and does everyone think its a good idea we steal it tonight?" This was yet another tangent based on a pre-made map i didn't really pay attention to until it was in front of the players)

which means once per level, once the player has enough skulls on the belt, he gets an auto crit + permanently Sever Something

on its final use, the Paladin severed the Lich King from Necropolis itself, whereupon the Necromancer, using like 3 negative relationship 6s with the Lich King, stabbed the Lich King with her Soul Dagger (the phylactery - Grommar's Masterwork - had been destroyed in the prior session, prompting this show down)

~fin~

I've never ran a campaign that long before! Hell, never even played in one that long, but I think we wrapped it up well.

I think the biggest pay off for a lot of the players was using loot they had carried around forever to really bring it all to bear in one final huge 3+ hour encounter. Some players really relished finding combos like the above and just did crazy rear end poo poo with them. It was fantastic. Also, by the end, everyone had a multi-session spotlight on just their character. And also they finally got to fight an Icon, which i told them 3 years ago isn't something they'd ever do because the game isn't really designed for it (so of course they did).

I drank a shitload of whiskey and took today off of work in anticipation of this morning, but lol school was cancelled for the kids so my penance was.... thorough

fosborb fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 23, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds absolutely incredible, what an excellent showdown and capstone to a long running campaign!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it was the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

:negative:

it was always going to be the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

fosborb posted:

it was the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

:negative:

it was always going to be the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

if you players didn't notice (or didn't care), you're good.

Thanks for these write-ups. I'm setting my player's level 2 characters up for the Stone Thief and your write ups have been inspiring and a ton of fun to read. Congrats on finishing such a long campaign and sticking the landing.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
finally had schedules clear enough to do the Return to the Shire bit after the big climatic fight. We used Microscope to run this session. And Utgar's Chronicles is a fantastic way to play remotely: https://utgars-chronicles.app/

i've used Microscope more times as a session 0 to setup a campaign than I have played it straight. It does such a great job of creating a shared history, it's a great way to get all players invested in an original setting before diving into play with a different session. I've even used it to play out the hypothetical history of a planned historical simulation I was building for 30 students that was going to last about 25 hours across 4 days. this was the first time for an epilogue though.

microscope starts with book ending the history you want to create, so the players decided to start it at "Death of the Lich King" (obviously) and end the history at "The Return of Necromancy"

then they built periods of history, events within those periods, and we RPed scenes within each event. It's a very rules light experience, and players have complete authorial control during their turns. That may seem like a recipe for disaster, but as one of the first parts of the game, you set the palette for the game: the elements that can always be included, even if it feels out of place right now. And the elements that should never be included, no questions asked. This are done in a round, with each getting consensus before locking in.

The classic example is if you're building a sci-fi history, are aliens going to be included? Or definitely not.

For our purpose, it meant one player could say, "I really want to find out more about the dwarves, so I'm putting drunken, racist dwarves down." It also meant that, even though the players weren't really ready for their PCs to be community property, they could lock this in with a No on "including someone else's PC without their consent."

This set up really solid foundations for people feel confident making decisions about the world that they don't need to ask permission to do. Its really just a wonderful way to kick off any campaign, frankly, but it turns out it makes a great last session as well.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That sounds awesome. I've played Microscope before and really like its structure, but it had never occurred to me to use it for the campaign ending and aftermath. I will probably steal that idea for the future.

I have an encounter type question.

My players are mostly servants of the Priestess and thus in conflict with the Crusader. The recurring antagonist, a servant of the Crusader, met with them directly to tell them they have a demon problem in Santa Cora. (This is true.) She offered to help them root it out and, much to my surprise, they accepted the offer, partly to keep an eye on her.

Any thoughts on building an encounter with a powerful (+4 levels to the PCs) NPC along for the ride?

That was a neat and unexpected development, so I'd rather make it so there's a benefit but keep some challenge in the encounter. Storywise, the Crusader NPC will of course bind any demons she defeats.

PCs are level 2 with a couple incremental advances - Cleric, Fighter, Rogue. The Crusader NPC is one of the Ebon Hand casters from Bestiary 2, level 6.
I was going to keep a powerful but simple attack for her and add in a few more mooks and another interesting demon - but I was curious if anyone else had fun ideas for this setup. It's also their last fight before a full heal so I can be a bit more mean.

Next battle was going to be an imp, the frog demon from the Book of Demons, and a set of dretches. I'm thinking of upgrading the frog demon to something more potent.

The one after that is with the demon cult leader - the Hellmarsh cleric, a set of Hellmarsh cultists, and a despoiler demon. (We'll see if the NPC tags along for that one, depending on how the first one goes.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maybe the frog demon tries summoning help and the crusader does some kind of horrific blood ritual to stop it, and they have to protect her? I'd look for each fight to provide a bit more character for her, both bad and good. A cage of prisoners might be a useful addition somewhere, since that might throw their moral differences into sharp relief.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That sounds perfect, thanks. I was staying away from the summoning abilities for level 2 characters but that's a really fun way to do it.

The demon cult is running a fake healing church as their cover, so the Crusader servant would absolutely want to put down those already "treated" but still recovering. That should be a nice ethical sticking point between them.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

For the upcoming Friday the 13th Age, I'm going to take questions about the game from the community and choose 13 of them to answer in my 13th Sage column! Please send me your questions using this form: https://forms.gle/MKWaSb1BpZFqCyAz9

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
2nd edition, when?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Covok posted:

Next Gareth Hanrahan campaign, when?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sebmojo posted:

Next Gareth Hanrahan campaign, when?

loving hell yes this

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Man, so I'm playing in a campaign that allows for Glorantha classes, and I think playing a Duck Trickster is the most fun i've ever had with this system.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

2nd edition, when?

That was my only question, yeah.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Arrrthritis posted:

Man, so I'm playing in a campaign that allows for Glorantha classes, and I think playing a Duck Trickster is the most fun i've ever had with this system.

Does the Glorantha book work well with just using the base game with the new classes? Does it require houseruling adjustments, or can they just pop into a regular 13th age campaign no problem?

My impression flipping through the book was it has quite a bit different mechanics from 13th age.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Gareth Hanrahan’s been working on his next campaign for 13th Age for at least a couple of years, and I see that it’s now on the website: Prophet of the Pyre is all about dragons and it sounds like it’s going to be rad as hell. https://pelgranepress.com/2022/02/18/prophet-of-the-pyre/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, spanning the whole ten levels too, the absolute madman.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Foolster41 posted:

Does the Glorantha book work well with just using the base game with the new classes? Does it require houseruling adjustments, or can they just pop into a regular 13th age campaign no problem?

My impression flipping through the book was it has quite a bit different mechanics from 13th age.

The only thing we've needed to change is file off the serial numbers on runes and turn them into icons. Apart from that the classes that we've used (Trickster, Hell Mother, Earth Priestess) have worked fairly well with the others (Fighter, Monk, and Abomination).

There might be an issue of design philosophy when comparing the two books- Glorantha does favor bombastic moments but the healing classes (Hell Mother, Earth Priestess) don't have any ability to let allies spend recoveries; it needs to be a fortunate set of circumstances for it to happen (i.e. the earth priestess says her blessing will land when someone gets a natural even hit - the fighter gets a natural even then the earth priestess rolls really well on her favors of earth table). Trickster gets an ability to heal allies but that only happens in champion tier once you're already winning a fight.

Trickster gets better the stronger your enemies are, and worse the weaker they are. It's all about turning the GM's bullshit back in on itself so they'll get a lot of powers like "if an enemy misses you with an attack, you force it to attack itself with that same attack" or "make an enemy attack itself, if it misses it gets to attack you, and if it misses you you get to use a special attack for this one power." - so if you're fighting something regularly outputting 40 damage/attack at level 3 it will be outdamaging the martials for a few hits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

waderockett posted:

Gareth Hanrahan’s been working on his next campaign for 13th Age for at least a couple of years, and I see that it’s now on the website: Prophet of the Pyre is all about dragons and it sounds like it’s going to be rad as hell. https://pelgranepress.com/2022/02/18/prophet-of-the-pyre/

Ooh, that's good stuff.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The new 13th Sage, with answers to 13 of the questions folks submitted, is now live! https://pelgranepress.com/2022/05/13/13th-sage-13-answers-to-13-questions-about-13th-age/

I'll answer some of the questions that didn't make the cut this time in future columns. For example, someone asked for clarification on the shocked condition, and I didn't get an answer to that one but I will follow up.

I'll share this one here now:

quote:

What are your favourite house rules when running the game?

Simon: I give Necromancers the option to do Death Knell as an interrupt action. It’s really fun. It keeps the Necromancer’s player on their toes, and other players like to see the demise of foes they didn’t quite defeat.

Rob: I’ve answered this a few times, including on page 57 of the GM Screen & Resource Book. One house rule I haven’t revealed to anyone else is that when I’m rolling initiative for the monsters, I frequently choose a spread of die rolls. For example, five monsters in the fight? I choose a 19, a 14, an 11, a 6, and a 2. Then I randomly assign those rolls to the monsters in the battle. Why? Because I have more fun when there’s a dramatic spread of results, alternating back and forth between monsters and players. I *could* just sprinkle the monsters above and between the PCs, and I’ve done that in demo games to save time, but at home I usually use the spread-results method.

I suspect I started doing this when my ridiculous dice luck was mucking with monster initiative rolls. When I roll them all I often have battles where nearly all the monsters go first. Bad for demos if the dice were on the table, and not how I wanna play with my home groups.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I can't believe Rob cheats

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, they didn't answer my question, but they did hint strongly that the answer is "yes." Overall, pleased.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks Rob for being a good sport about my thinly veiled jab at the icon rules as they stand :v:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I've always really liked them in character creation, but struggled to use them in game.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I use icon advantage rolls in every session of 13th Age I run, and find them valuable; but I only use them as "story guides" the way the core rulebook describes when I'm running demos or improvised one-shots. I strongly prefer to treat them as a player resource, the use of which might bring an icon's influence into a situation where it wasn't before.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I basically use icon rolls as a pool of ffg star wars Triumphs that are more thematically bound. We even house ruled that players can carry 5s and 6s on to their next session.

The relationships themselves drive some enemy abilities, plot hooks, rumors, etc. This is supported really well in Eyes of the Stone Thief, for instance. I do struggle incorporating them on the fly as well as they are in prewritten adventures

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of - is there an existing variant Paladin who gets more choices?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dwarf74 posted:

paladin/commander multiclass :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

A full flame path demonologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

If I were going to play a paladin in 13A I'd look at the Humakti in 13th Age Glorantha. Lots of paladin-feeling features, talents, and powers like Armor Geas, Death before Dishonor, and Grim Truth.

quote:

Play Style: You are an implacable warrior dedicated to the god of Death and Truth. You have a special hatred of undead, and you are adept at putting the “dead” back in “undead.”

Like the fighter from the 13th Age core rules, you excel in combat, but instead of fighter-style flexible attacks you use attack powers harnessing the magic of your god. Like the paladin from 13th Age, you’re plenty tough, but your powers lean toward killing enemies instead of protecting your allies. A Humakti is more complex than a paladin to play, mostly because of interesting decisions you must make about when and who to attack. But playing one is also simpler than a fighter, because you don’t have to pay as much attention to your natural attack rolls.

If you’re not interested in detailed tactical combat options, don’t play a Humakti. If you relish being the most skilled warrior in the band, Humakti may be for you.

Ability Scores: You use Strength for most of your attacks, while Wisdom is important for particularly skillful attacks and certain other class elements. Constitution is important also, and factors into at least one useful attack. But Humakt is the god of Death and you’ve noticed that he seems more interested in you slaying his enemies than getting through battles in one piece.

Humakti gain a +2 class bonus to Strength or Wisdom, as long as it isn’t the same ability you increase with your +2 racial bonus.