Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I should dislike Sleeper, but I can't. A big black and green symbiote that spends most of its' time as a kitty, basically doing a Davey and Goliath routine with Eddie Brock's kid? Sometimes a concept is stupid in just the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Shows how long since I read anything, but the beard is not a bad look there eddie

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beyond is getting the omnibus treatment and I just don’t understand

it's gonna sell like hotcakes, that's all there is to it

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kitty symbiote is pretty awesome. I hope Dylan gets more animal themed friends.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beyond is getting the omnibus treatment and I just don’t understand

I thought I was in the DC thread for a second so this immediately had me thinking "hey, that Batman Beyond series wasn't so bad! :buddy:"

Oh well.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I would argue that DC's Batman Beyond comics have all been substantially worse than the comic where Ben Reilly turns into a purple people eater

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t say that, but they have had lower lows

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I was browsing the comic rack in line at FCBD and looked at "marauders" and what the hell has happened to kitty pryde since the last time I read x-men in like 2005? Wasn't she in charge of the xavier school or something? :psyduck:

Edit: oh good wolverine is alive again, they swore he was dead for good last time I paid any attention to x-men :haw:

xarph fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 13, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

xarph posted:

I was browsing the comic rack in line at FCBD and looked at "marauders" and what the hell has happened to kitty pryde since the last time I read x-men in like 2005? Wasn't she in charge of the xavier school or something? :psyduck:

Edit: oh good wolverine is alive again, they swore he was dead for good last time I paid any attention to x-men :haw:

The omnipresent portals to the private island of mutant where everyone lives in peace and gets resurrected all the time rejected her. So she decided to become a pirate instead. Also she goes by Kate nowadays.
She's probably the coolest of the current X-Men.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 13, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Actually that's a lie, nothing's happened for 18 years.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 13, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kate Pryde, Captain of the Marauder, Red Queen of the Hellfire Trading Company, counsel member of Krakoa.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kate Pryde, Captain of the Marauder, Red Queen of the Hellfire Trading Company, counsel member of Krakoa.

King of kings, the Cerebral Assassin, Stacker of 2s, The Creator, The Destroyer, The Connecticut Blueblood, :words: .........

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

...The Game...The rear end-Kicker...

I heard Duggan on the Off Panel podcast talking about how he reinvented Kitty for that book, personality wise etc. Pretty much, he just felt like it. So on what happened, well, Duggan happened. Not that this is a bad thing.

Speaking of things happening, hearing a lot of wild stuff about the new Amazing Spider-Man run by Zeb. Osborne, MJ, just all sorts of kooky stuff going on in the life of Peter Parker. Having not checked it out yet, it sounds like they're just going for peak soap opera insanity, hopefully they steer the ship back before it goes too far off the rails. Intriguing though.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Heavy Metal posted:

I heard Duggan on the Off Panel podcast talking about how he reinvented Kitty for that book, personality wise etc. Pretty much, he just felt like it. So on what happened, well, Duggan happened. Not that this is a bad thing.

Speaking of things happening, hearing a lot of wild stuff about the new Amazing Spider-Man run by Zeb. Osborne, MJ, just all sorts of kooky stuff going on in the life of Peter Parker. Having not checked it out yet, it sounds like they're just going for peak soap opera insanity, hopefully they steer the ship back before it goes too far off the rails. Intriguing though.

Don't remember with Osborne in the issue. I can you refresh my memory?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Woops, my bad, it's from the preview of issue 2. Spoilers ahoy:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/norman-osborn-only-knocks-thrice-amazing-spider-man-2-first-look/

I was reading the CBR thread on it, also recapped some of the nutty stuff of recent years as well etc. Just wild stuff all around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

Aside from Scott, Jean and Logan becoming a thruple, Kate Pryde becoming a pirate feels like the most natural progression that's happened in the Krakoa era.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jiro posted:

King of kings, the Cerebral Assassin, Stacker of 2s, The Creator, The Destroyer, The Connecticut Blueblood, :words: .........

She's from Deerfield, Illinois, which is why she was always my favorite. :colbert:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
As long as she keeps the core parts of her character: she thinks Professor Xavier is a jerk and is distressingly willing to use a slur

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

xarph posted:

Buddy, you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Do yourself a favor and track down House of X and Powers of X miniseries.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Scott, Jean and Logan becoming a thruple, Kate Pryde becoming a pirate feels like the most natural progression that's happened in the Krakoa era.

Not saying it doesn't, but something else done well may have felt natural too. And not just the plot aspect, but personality. Just a behind the scenes answer. Even stuff like her not going by Kitty anymore, he was saying he gets it if writers in the future don't agree and bring it back, he just essentially felt like it. Some of the nuance would come across better in the Off Panel episode, I just found it interesting how really if editorial is up for it, you can pretty much change a character's personality if you want.

There were other bigger examples mentioned in the interview, like Black Tom being different, stuff like that. Sometimes they just want to change a character, and that's how it happens.

And though the older Kitty goes by Kate in Days of Future Past, it's not like everybody's personality in the present books and other details will align with that story. Kitty is just a cooler more memorable name I think.

On the thruple thing, with its lack of coverage in the books, I don't fully see it as a big thing. Hickman has said he was making characters come across as more distant and alien, as part of his thing of having us feel uneasy about the whole Krakoa thing. So he focuses less on relationships. So that's more an Easter egg, plus the Jean stuff being in the Percy books that don't seem as well done.

Also, my gut is that it's kind of boring and a step backwards for Jean and Wolverine to still be a thing. I don't hate it, but I'd figure Wolverine could move on and have a relationship with more depth by now etc.

But just interesting tidbits and mild nitpicks, sounds like the books are in a good spot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 13, 2022

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Jiro posted:

isn't kitty from the midwest?

also who is the stephanie mcmahon of the x-men? is it jean? it's jean isn't it???

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jean is Lita, Cyclops is Edge, Wolverine is RVD. It's 2006

(Ok I snubbed Matt Hardy my bad, he can be uh Beast)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rachel, obviously. Makes Cyclops Vince, Jean Linda, and Cable Shane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

isn't kitty from the midwest?

also who is the stephanie mcmahon of the x-men? is it jean? it's jean isn't it???

Kate is from Chicago, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol they are being back spider verse and Dan slott

Spider man desperate at this point

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Jean is Lita, Cyclops is Edge, Wolverine is RVD. It's 2006

(Ok I snubbed Matt Hardy my bad, he can be uh Beast)

What a horrible Matt Hardy slander.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Armando Iannucci is doing a Spider-Man story' is not something I was expecting to hear today, or any day really.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I had a lot of fun reading Beyond. I found myself invested in Ben as corporate Spider-Man, and there were plenty of cool side characters with their own side stories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I can’t remember a single thing about the side characters. They were just kind of there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I had a lot of fun reading Beyond. I found myself invested in Ben as corporate Spider-Man, and there were plenty of cool side characters with their own side stories.

I fuckin love Ben Reilly so I was all in despite it being trash.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol they are being back spider verse and Dan slott

Spider man desperate at this point
Oh gently caress offffffff.

Who was asking for this?

Even if Brand Synergy demanded it, why would you give it to the guy who did it twice before and hosed it up both times?

It's going to be the loving Inheritors, again, and more loving Deep Lore, again. Plus we get a return to 'classic Spider-Man character in their outfit only read and blue with webs on' with Spider-Kraven. Wasn't that his concept for Spider-Gwen, too? Plus 'Spider-Laird seems set up for lazy jokes, some of which Slott's already made in interviews.

Also, apparently Dan's doing a story in Amazing Fantasy #1000, (which is a thing I guess) that's meant to be a look at Peter/MJ's relationship in the future? gently caress off with that poo poo, give it to Houser or Conway or DeFalco, who all actually did something interesting with it. poo poo, let Spencer write it, since that's pretty clearly what he was aiming for with his run and his Peter/MJ stuff was the strongest parts of his run. :colbert:

I am angry. Angry about Dan Slott.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That’s what he wants! Don’t let him win.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't get it, Vulpes is right there and he did it better! Give it to him!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t remember a single thing about the side characters. They were just kind of there

Janine was like an MJ with rougher edges. His psychiatrist became the Queen Goblin. His handler was surpisingly loyal to Ben, especially in the Devils Reign tie in with The Rose. MJ and Black Cat were both great, and the Daughters of the Dragon with Monica were nice peripheral characters. Even Aunt May and Doc Ock had a fun little side adventure.

It was always going to end in tragedy as soon as you saw Ben Parker with a black hole for a face. This Chasm stuff doesn’t seem like a good look, but I’m interested to see where they go with his fractured memories. Plus, if this is leading to an X-Men crossover, there’s plenty that can be done with psychics.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Even if Brand Synergy demanded it, why would you give it to the guy who did it twice before and hosed it up both times?

Because those books sold really well, so by the only barometer that matters in the industry, he didn't gently caress it up.

e: oh hey Anya's going back to Arana I guess

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 14, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't get it, Vulpes is right there and he did it better! Give it to him!

Dan seems like a guy who collects secrets and uses them to his advantage

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Because those books sold really well, so by the only barometer that matters in the industry, he didn't gently caress it up.

It's nice she's getting her own distinctive visual identity again.

Man, I just remembered that the first thing they did when they gave her the Spider-Girl name and her own series, IIRC, was kill off her dad. If I had a nickel for every time a Spider-Girl's dad got killed off, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much but it's weird it happened twice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just based on a single preview page I'm guessing Madeline manipulates Ben with the promise of stealing Peter's memories to restore his own mind.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

That Spider-Girl costume is top tier though. I don't wanna lose that!

And it fit in with her on Black Widow's team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's nice she's getting her own distinctive visual identity again.

Man, I just remembered that the first thing they did when they gave her the Spider-Girl name and her own series, IIRC, was kill off her dad. If I had a nickel for every time a Spider-Girl's dad got killed off, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much but it's weird it happened twice.

It was kind of the death knell for that book. When people saw Paul Tobin was writing it they were expected light-hearted adventure like his Marvel Adventures Spider-Man books, but instead Anya's dad dies and she spends the entire first three issues dealing with that nd it's just impossible to get any momentum going that way.