Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

should be the background to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

pfft I’m not listening to this loving egghead

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Any person with an internet connection can pull up webcams of New Mexico's lakes and rivers. They've got water that's visible in them. Politifact rates this 5 Pinocchios.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when did Ben Shaprio's wife change her name to New Mexico

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

i believe these are called feedback hoops

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i wonder how far down you'd have to dig to get suitable clay for making pottery without any possible microplastic contamination? earthworms dig pretty deep and, as we all know, earthworms are not to be trusted: Microplastic transport in soil by earthworms

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

:hmmyes: gusanos microplásticos

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Hubbert posted:

i believe these are called feedback hoops

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

If you want to be an arborist then starting off on the ground crew is a good intro but don't just join up and wait for a climbing spot, because what that generally means is that someone hosed off and they're desperate so the training will be ad hoc and full of holes. It's worth hanging on to find somewhere willing to run you a proper apprenticeship because arb climbing is absolutely not something you can figure out as you go along and still keep your fingers.
A good litmus test when you're approaching a company is to ask about their gear policy. If you get all new poo poo when you start, great. If you get to pick your stuff, sign up on the spot. If they try to give you second hand climbing gear walk away immediately.
I don't know how it is round your way but here a good way to get started is with the power companies, they all have arborists to run line clearance, storm works etc and it's a really good way to get started. Same with municipal outfits, they tend to have the money and the latitude to actually train people and pay attention to all that boring health and safety stuff. I don't recommend starting out in smaller companies or one man bands because they tend to operate in a rush because the margins are so tight, and you end up getting taught a bunch of bad habits that can really get you hurt in service of doing things the fastest way possible.
Hope this helps, I've been climbing for ten years plus now so if you you got any questions absolutely fire away

this seems like very solid advice. if it’s a smaller company or some ad hoc under the table thing, safety isn’t going to be prioritized or taught the same way it is at a bigger more established company. don’t lose fingers (or worse) because of somebody else’s laziness or fuckups.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How do you lose a finger climbing a tree? Wait I don’t want to know do I

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
you have a little chainsaw you take up into the tree with you. they take more skill to operate than the full size saws. plus, you're hanging onto a tree at the same time.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pryor on Fire posted:

How do you lose a finger climbing a tree? Wait I don’t want to know do I

it’s all the fun of working at heights, chainsaws, and shady poorly maintained equipment

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

you have a little chainsaw you take up into the tree with you. they take more skill to operate than the full size saws. plus, you're hanging onto a tree at the same time.

Yeah it's this. Worth bearing in mind though that most climbing injuries, at least the ones where you get cut or take out your rope are caused by handsaws, for the simple reason that once you put down the top handle and pull out the silky you immediately get more complacent and start cutting towards your hands, cutting and holding instead of doing snap cuts, etc. Over the course of my career I've had exactly one in-tree injury caused by a chainsaw, while I've lost count of the handsaw ones.
While I'm on the subject, when you're new to a company never take anything on faith. Before you take a saw into a tree, no matter what you're told, at minimum check the side bolts and the chain brake. Can't emphasize that enough, NEVER assume that people you've just started working with will be doing basic poo poo instead of assuming you'll cover it or it's probably fine. Goes for ground saws too, but since top handles tend to be a way more personal bit of gear they tend to get skipped over

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 01:37 on May 14, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
That's a good point. I didn't spend much time in the trees, but I did a few easy side jobs so I bought myself a silky handsaw and those suckers are wicked sharp and get caught on everything. Having to mind your ropes at the same time must be a headache

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

That's a good point. I didn't spend much time in the trees, but I did a few easy side jobs so I bought myself a silky handsaw and those suckers are wicked sharp and get caught on everything. Having to mind your ropes at the same time must be a headache

It absolutely is. It's easy to forget just how sharp the little bastards are, but my mantra is that they go through wood like nothing, is your skin tougher than oak? What about your climbing line? Probably not!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
lol they literally would not stop working to do even basic chainsaw maintenance. the boss would yell at you if he saw you sharpening your chain. I had to do it when he wasnt around.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

lol they literally would not stop working to do even basic chainsaw maintenance. the boss would yell at you if he saw you sharpening your chain. I had to do it when he wasnt around.

That is absolutely baffling. Did he want you all working at half speed while thrashing his gear? Was the whole thing a producers-esqe tax dodge?? (entirely possible actually)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

planet's dyin' cloud

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

some plague rats posted:

That is absolutely baffling. Did he want you all working at half speed while thrashing his gear? Was the whole thing a producers-esqe tax dodge?? (entirely possible actually)

no he was actually quite good at, and honestly they were pretty good about safety. he was just a supremely angry man. he wasn't against sharpening chains in principle - he was against you sharpening chains at the exact moment he saw you doing it. it was never "the right time." it was just regular old abuse. you could never get any clarity on what "the right time" was. it didn't matter if you were seasoned or a newbie, he just kicked people's rear end because his personal life was lovely.

as with any abusive boss, you get to do your best work when they're not there.

I've worked for too many of these types.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Too Many Birds posted:

planet's dyin' cloud

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

no he was actually quite good at, and honestly they were pretty good about safety. he was just a supremely angry man. he wasn't against sharpening chains in principle - he was against you sharpening chains at the exact moment he saw you doing it. it was never "the right time." it was just regular old abuse. you could never get any clarity on what "the right time" was. it didn't matter if you were seasoned or a newbie, he just kicked people's rear end because his personal life was lovely.

as with any abusive boss, you get to do your best work when they're not there.

I've worked for too many of these types.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah there's two types of people running small arb businesses: former climbers who got sick of slaving for someone else and struck out on their own, who are great, and small business tyrants who thought it's an easy industry to make a bunch of money in. I worked for a while for a guy who made millions owning restaurants and then sold up and bought an arb company as a "retirement plan". He constantly pinched pennies on climbing gear but also insisted on buying a digger and bringing it to every job, so I went six months without having to load a chipper by hand before I got sick of him and moved on. Very weird industry

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I guess it's too hot for the windmills now in Texas.

quote:

About a week after rising concerns of high demand, ERCOT on Friday is again asking Texans to conserve power.

Friday afternoon, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) said six power generation facilities tripped offline. This resulted in the loss of about 2,900 MW of electricity.

ERCOT is asking Texans to conserve power when possible by setting thermostats to 78 degrees or above and to avoid using large appliances such as dishwashers, washers and dryers during peak hours between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. through the weekend.

https://twitter.com/wfaa/status/1525249574142607363?t=vQxXsuOVKEP6_58b7p6pew&s=19

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
x-posting

The World’s a Mess. So They’ve Stopped Saving for Tomorrow.

No paywall: https://archive.ph/ihH36

quote:

Hannah Jones, a standup comic in Denver, said she used to save almost all her discretionary income. She was a thrift-shop regular who refused to pay for a Netflix subscription. Now she has become what she calls a “financial nihilist,” meaning she puts significantly less into her savings account.

The shaky state of the world was on her mind. “I’m not going to deprive myself some of the comforts of life now for a future that feels like it could be ripped away from me at any moment,” she said.

In her standup act, Ms. Jones, 27, has a reliable joke: “No, I’m not saving for retirement. I’m going to spend my money now, while we still have a supply chain at all.” It’s a quip that changes with the headlines. On some nights, instead of “supply chain,” she simply plugs in the catastrophe du jour.

quote:

Danilo Jiménez, who is planning to go to graduate school to study environmental policy in the fall, said he has put saving for retirement on hold in favor of spending that money on weekend trips and moving out of his parents’ home to live with roommates in Brooklyn.

“The idea that I’m going to put money away into an account that I can’t access until I’m 60 — that’s 2056!” said Mr. Jiménez, 25, who has worked as a youth soccer coach and carpenter’s helper. “A lot of things are going to change by then, with respect to climate change.”

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Genuinely glad to see people making the most of it, trying to do this myself

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

so does this mean things won't rust bc there's no moisture to oxidize iron?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Oglethorpe posted:

so does this mean things won't rust bc there's no moisture to oxidize iron?

i think there's still oxygen in the air chief

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

The Protagonist posted:

i think there's still oxygen in the air chief

always thought water had to be involved somehow

e: i was right https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/5134/why-cant-rust-form-without-water

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

What is going on with you two? Oh my lord

E: oh lmao, I'm being trolled. I feel dumb 😪

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 03:32 on May 14, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

These are genuinely confusing posts, and I really, truly, beg you two to look at my post history lol

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

NeatHeteroDude posted:

What is going on with you two? Oh my lord

please, I'm begging you, lurk more

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

please, I'm begging you, lurk more

Oh God, im so dumb

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

These are genuinely confusing posts, and I really, truly, beg you two to look at my post history lol

I really, truly, beg you to gently caress back off to whatever thread you wandered in here from

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I really, truly, beg you to gently caress back off to whatever thread you wandered in here from

Fly Molo convinced me to learn about climate change! This is a super aggressive response and I'm not sure what it's based in, but I'm here to learn and I'd like to see what's going on in the thread

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

well at least the summer's almost over

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

yeah i was looking forward to retiring at age 85 now i don't have to worry

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Fly Molo convinced me to learn about climate change! This is a super aggressive response and I'm not sure what it's based in, but I'm here to learn and I'd like to see what's going on in the thread

I liked a book called fossil capital by Andreas malm it’s not really about today but about how we got here. check it out

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Oh God, im so dumb

lol you were trying to quote that to post it in another thread and you accidentally hit post.

it’s okay, it happens. just chill out a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeatHeteroDude posted:

oh come on don’t make this weird