Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Aw drat good for Jared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Hopefully this deal includes some new goddamn microphone money for Jared.

e: lol yes they very specifically mentioned this. cool.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 10, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ShutteredIn posted:

Hopefully this deal includes some new goddamn microphone money for Jared.

e: lol yes they very specifically mentioned this. cool.

I never thought it was that bad, but I always watched on Twitch. Putting up audio only would show it more.

Really excited for the Blades stuff they do, that was always fun.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I don't know if it counts but Dimension 20 started their new scifi rpg based in the Starstruck universe and using the 5th edition Star Wars rpg rules. It feels like it's gonna be really fun.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Can anyone give me a list of some actual play podcasts with extensive transcripts? I really like actual plays, but ADHD makes podcast formats really difficult for me.

Have already checked out Friends at the Table and Dimension 20 and am obviously aware of Critical Role, because who isn't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jodai posted:

I don't know if it counts but Dimension 20 started their new scifi rpg based in the Starstruck universe and using the 5th edition Star Wars rpg rules. It feels like it's gonna be really fun.

are there any other APs using this system? Brennon shouted out Dungeon Jedi Masters which seems neat but I'm wondering if there are others, going by its subreddit and all it seems fairly popular for a 5e hack and actually pretty solid mechanics wise and all, I'd love to see some other takes on it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

t3isukone posted:

Can anyone give me a list of some actual play podcasts with extensive transcripts? I really like actual plays, but ADHD makes podcast formats really difficult for me.

Have already checked out Friends at the Table and Dimension 20 and am obviously aware of Critical Role, because who isn't.

Dungeons and Daddies has a decent number of episodes transcribed, but they're about the only one I've seen with any actual work put into it. Even then it's mostly fans who do it so not sure if they're always up to date.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Friends at the Table ones really are great, and it seems like it was a really good investment outside of the accessibility angle. Austin's mentioned using them as a resource more than a couple times, which seems like it'd be invaluable for long campaign stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Varinn posted:

The Friends at the Table ones really are great, and it seems like it was a really good investment outside of the accessibility angle. Austin's mentioned using them as a resource more than a couple times, which seems like it'd be invaluable for long campaign stuff.

Agreed, it's a big boon to the show, instead of trying to remember, Austin just finds out what happened before in 30 seconds. I am not someone who super needs consistency in APs but when it's there it's a nice touch.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's been a hot minute (like 5 years) since I asked last, but is there anything decent/currently running/good for Stars Without Number and/or Traveller out there?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Drone posted:

It's been a hot minute (like 5 years) since I asked last, but is there anything decent/currently running/good for Stars Without Number and/or Traveller out there?

AFAIR, Far Verona had a very memorable last episode.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Megazver posted:

AFAIR, Far Verona had a very memorable last episode.

Harr. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I missed that joke and almost queued the series up, whew.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Hey guys, I was hoping that if y'all had some time you might be able to give a listen to the en media res episode of our Invisible Sun podcast "The Hole in the World"; I just wanted to share this with the subforum to see if there's anything we're doing wrong or could be doing better in terms of structure/overt production value:

Google Drive link here

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gray Ghost posted:

Hey guys, I was hoping that if y'all had some time you might be able to give a listen to the en media res episode of our Invisible Sun podcast "The Hole in the World"; I just wanted to share this with the subforum to see if there's anything we're doing wrong or could be doing better in terms of structure/overt production value:

Google Drive link here

Without really knowing anything about this particular system, but having run an AP podcast of my own for a while, I think the biggest thing in terms of technical stuff that would help moving forward would be to have everyone record their own audio rather than having one person record it from a skype or discord call. The players' audio in the episode cuts out mid-sentence pretty frequently, and is of a noticeably different quality from the GM, who sounds just fine. Getting everyone on their own audio track will also allow a lot more flexibility during editing.

If you do end up going this route though, it'll probably involve a lot more editing in general. Skype and Discord are already doing some compression/levelling/noise removal, so you might find that the players' audio environments are less than ideal when you have access to the raw audio and have to do all that yourself. Plus, I've found that everyone's computer records audio at a slightly different rate, so depending on how long your sessions are, you might notice the audio becoming de-synced over time and have to respeed it.

One time-saving tool that I like to use during editing is Audacity's Truncate Silence. You might already be using it or something similar, but if not, it basically allows you to automatically condense or remove anything below a certain decibel value. My group usually records for 3-4 hours per session, so between lag on the call, bathroom breaks, and people being quiet as they consider their next move, we usually end up with around 45 minutes of silence in the raw audio that gets automatically removed.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Robot Style posted:

Without really knowing anything about this particular system, but having run an AP podcast of my own for a while, I think the biggest thing in terms of technical stuff that would help moving forward would be to have everyone record their own audio rather than having one person record it from a skype or discord call. The players' audio in the episode cuts out mid-sentence pretty frequently, and is of a noticeably different quality from the GM, who sounds just fine. Getting everyone on their own audio track will also allow a lot more flexibility during editing.

If you do end up going this route though, it'll probably involve a lot more editing in general. Skype and Discord are already doing some compression/levelling/noise removal, so you might find that the players' audio environments are less than ideal when you have access to the raw audio and have to do all that yourself. Plus, I've found that everyone's computer records audio at a slightly different rate, so depending on how long your sessions are, you might notice the audio becoming de-synced over time and have to respeed it.

One time-saving tool that I like to use during editing is Audacity's Truncate Silence. You might already be using it or something similar, but if not, it basically allows you to automatically condense or remove anything below a certain decibel value. My group usually records for 3-4 hours per session, so between lag on the call, bathroom breaks, and people being quiet as they consider their next move, we usually end up with around 45 minutes of silence in the raw audio that gets automatically removed.

Thanks for these pointers! So, we never really intended for this to be a podcast until a ton of our stream-watchers requested it. As a consequence of that we have voice tracks and non-diegetic music on the same track for a ton of episodes and nobody's mic except for mine was really any good. Things eventually got better and my players eventually got better equipment, but it's going to be rough for a ton of the initial episodes. That said I have started keeping separate voice tracks and my players are applying VSTs to their personal mic tracks going forward, which should help a ton with editing.

Does the plotting and structure of the podcast seem alright though?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
General question for those with podcasts... did you find any effective ways to promote it? My friend and I have started an RPG podcast (discussion rather than actual play) and are struggling to figure out how to get it to people who might be interested.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I re-caught-up on Six Feats Under Mouse Guard. Season (series?) Finales were both great, the whole thing was great and it all ended happier than I was suspecting. The acting quality isn't something I come to AP for usually but the RP was really really good.

----

Friends at the Table's Sangfielle season has been great. I am feeling some kind of way about episode 50, which I've only listened to about half of. Like I found it very frustrating to listen to even though I think it ultimately was everyone being true to their characters. I don't know what I want exactly, because I love having these scenarios where the characters are going to be in tension with one another, but when that tension comes to the full boiling point, I don't like how that feels either. I dunno.

----

Sionak posted:

General question for those with podcasts... did you find any effective ways to promote it? My friend and I have started an RPG podcast (discussion rather than actual play) and are struggling to figure out how to get it to people who might be interested.

This is an old post but if I'm home and I hear an ad from a podcast I like about another podcast, I usually add an episode to Castro. It might end up being days or months until I get to it, and honestly I'm more than "full" on podcasts so it's really hard for anything to totally crack the rotation but I do eventually give it a listen.

Also, for my show, even though it's very tiny, when I post an episode to Podbean and let it tweet, every few months or so some bot likes it and there seems to be a network out there where if you interact with it they will basically promote your show. I really just do my show as a ~a means of artistic expression, MAN~ and don't care a ton most of the time (maybe like twice a year I decide no actually do want more listeners but it never takes), but it seems to work for the people who participate in it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rick posted:

Friends at the Table's Sangfielle season has been great. I am feeling some kind of way about episode 50, which I've only listened to about half of. Like I found it very frustrating to listen to even though I think it ultimately was everyone being true to their characters. I don't know what I want exactly, because I love having these scenarios where the characters are going to be in tension with one another, but when that tension comes to the full boiling point, I don't like how that feels either. I dunno.

I'm all the way back in Winter in Hieron and I was pretty frustrated listening to the holiday episodes, where it felt like the most of the group was almost going out of their way not to get along and work on objectives.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm all the way back in Winter in Hieron and I was pretty frustrated listening to the holiday episodes, where it felt like the most of the group was almost going out of their way not to get along and work on objectives.

Boy are you going to enjoy every plot beat involving the druid!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I was pretty frustrated listening to the holiday episodes

God, try as I might this has been my entire (limited) experience with Friends at the Table.

Love Austin Walker to death but goddamn I've bounced off of this podcast so hard so many times.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I can admit that it’s well done, but god drat is it a chore to listen to. Which I guess could be said about a lot of APs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've just spent far too long cleaning up the audio of my 15 year old Rogue trader AP.

https://lairofthecroctapus.com/rogue-trader-hitting-the-machine-spirits-hard/

Now I've fallen into the trap of listening to my younger self having fun. It's a weird thing how I'm now able to hear my own voice without cringing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Friends at the Table is like broccoli-flavored homework. Some people latch on to it, some people are repulsed, but either way it's good for you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Boy are you going to enjoy every plot beat involving the druid!

:ohdear:

Drone posted:

God, try as I might this has been my entire (limited) experience with Friends at the Table.

Love Austin Walker to death but goddamn I've bounced off of this podcast so hard so many times.

Austin's definitely why I've kept listening so far. Obviously GMs are hugely important to any AP (or game), but he's clearly MVP of this show by a mile. I totally get bouncing off, because episode by episode it's not always the most exciting show (and the audio really was total dogshit at the beginning), but when the payoffs hit, they can be pretty amazing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I want to love FatT because when it's good it's incredible, but I feel like the seasons are too long. I prefer shorter, more focused arcs.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ill be the voice against here, I think FatT just kicks rear end, no asterisks. never really understood the weird "vegetables" comparison. its just good, mixes funny and serious, and is genuinely the best AP podcast I've ever listened to.

keeping up with the main seasons can be tricky if you dip in and out, but I think the last two seasons (Partizan and Sangfielle) have been extremely easy to get into, if you're looking for an onroad. Partizan, especially, is some of my favorite stuff they've done.

potatocubed posted:

I want to love FatT because when it's good it's incredible, but I feel like the seasons are too long. I prefer shorter, more focused arcs.

I highly recommend the patreon content (Bluff City), then. It's all short arcs in different systems, taking place in a Weird version of Atlantic City. every arc is somewhere different in the city's timeline, they all have wildly different tones, but its generally punchier and funnier, since it tends to be more loving around than the main series arcs. they've taken at least the first bluff city arc, a game of fiasco, out of the paywall, so you can get a sense of it from that.

https://friendsatthetable.net/bluff-city-01-a-bowling-alley-a-boxer-and-a-bird-pt-1

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

They talk a bit about it the postmortem, and in the whole Hieron postmortem when it wraps, but they cop to this, basically everyone was going through a pretty lovely time and there was a lot of real life bleed into the game and things went way darker than intended and they were having a much harder time getting on to similar goals. I would say overall most end up successfully teaming up to the same goals in other seasons although yeah, Keith (the druid player) definitely pretty consistently goes against the crowd although I tend to think it leads to more good moments than bad.

Varinn posted:

ill be the voice against here, I think FatT just kicks rear end, no asterisks. never really understood the weird "vegetables" comparison. its just good, mixes funny and serious, and is genuinely the best AP podcast I've ever listened to.

keeping up with the main seasons can be tricky if you dip in and out, but I think the last two seasons (Partizan and Sangfielle) have been extremely easy to get into, if you're looking for an onroad. Partizan, especially, is some of my favorite stuff they've done.

I highly recommend the patreon content (Bluff City), then. It's all short arcs in different systems, taking place in a Weird version of Atlantic City. every arc is somewhere different in the city's timeline, they all have wildly different tones, but its generally punchier and funnier, since it tends to be more loving around than the main series arcs. they've taken at least the first bluff city arc, a game of fiasco, out of the paywall, so you can get a sense of it from that.

https://friendsatthetable.net/bluff-city-01-a-bowling-alley-a-boxer-and-a-bird-pt-1

Yeah I definitely didn't intend to really start this talk up, I love it, which is part of why it makes me uncomfortable when the cast member's characters fight, even when they probably should.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rick posted:

They talk a bit about it the postmortem, and in the whole Hieron postmortem when it wraps, but they cop to this, basically everyone was going through a pretty lovely time and there was a lot of real life bleed into the game and things went way darker than intended and they were having a much harder time getting on to similar goals. I would say overall most end up successfully teaming up to the same goals in other seasons although yeah, Keith (the druid player) definitely pretty consistently goes against the crowd although I tend to think it leads to more good moments than bad.

I will say that Keith's grown on me over the course of the podcast so far. At first I was like why is this guy doing dumb poo poo all the time (and it's not his fault, but I think the druid's shapeshifting stuff is kind of busted), but then I realized he was super young and also he's probably the funniest player, so now that I get that he's just a goofball he's one of my favorites. As with everyone except probably Art, I think I just like his character from Counter/Weight more than I like his Hieron character, so it's been a little bit of a bummer to go back to them even though I was initially really excited to get back to Hieron after how the first season ended. I've been a little tempted to skip ahead to Partizan (since Twilight Mirage seems to have pretty mixed reception?), but I'll stick with this for now.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Twilight Mirage is absolutely worth getting around to at some point. It's a bit of a mess at a lot of different points but it creates an incredibly fascinating season that's probably my favorite overall. It definitely is way less easy to get into than just about any other season and there's a lot of stumbling at different points, but you should check it out eventually. The character work is incredible, the setting is incredible, I love it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Twilight Mirage is good, but I'm currently sat petered out about halfway through (right when they switch systems), though I've always kind of listened to FatT as a feast-or-famine kind of thing and will get back onto it at some point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Twilight Mirage is my favorite season. The season covers a lot of themes that I'm personally very interested in, which helps a lot. It's very dense and builds on itself so you pretty much have to listen to everything. Like the character creation episodes, that I think they say you can skip at the beginning of them, are absolutely essential listening because so much is pulled from these. Plus the first system they play in the first half of the season is one where the character's feelings are required to be examined on each dice roll leads to a lot of introspection. It's slow and I get why they ditched it (definitely not the most ideal Actual Play Podcast friendly system, at least not for a long campaign) but it brought a lot of interiority to the characters that I appreciated. It also makes the game switch in the middle feel thematic as the different world they are in requires a different response from anyone, and it is a lot snappier, and close to the ideal of how I feel Forged in the Dark games should be played. Plus it sticks the landing.

With that said you could probably skip to Partisan, since it requires so little previous game knowledge (there are some nice easter eggs though for sure). If you like that though, the sequel is going to tackle how that world brushes up against TM so I am guessing some familiarity will be helpful there but who knows.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rick posted:

I re-caught-up on Six Feats Under Mouse Guard. Season (series?) Finales were both great, the whole thing was great and it all ended happier than I was suspecting. The acting quality isn't something I come to AP for usually but the RP was really really good.

Thank you so much! We are getting to the end of the story now, which is wrapped up in a whole mess of feelings personally, but I just want to be perfectly clear that there is more to come. The end of Famine 1149 special is currently being edited and scored, and the finale episode is about half-recorded as of now. We're also toying with the idea of an epilogue session, but no commitments have been made there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hell yeah, thank you, I am glad to hear that.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Rick posted:

Twilight Mirage is my favorite season. The season covers a lot of themes that I'm personally very interested in, which helps a lot. It's very dense and builds on itself so you pretty much have to listen to everything. Like the character creation episodes, that I think they say you can skip at the beginning of them, are absolutely essential listening because so much is pulled from these. Plus the first system they play in the first half of the season is one where the character's feelings are required to be examined on each dice roll leads to a lot of introspection. It's slow and I get why they ditched it (definitely not the most ideal Actual Play Podcast friendly system, at least not for a long campaign) but it brought a lot of interiority to the characters that I appreciated. It also makes the game switch in the middle feel thematic as the different world they are in requires a different response from anyone, and it is a lot snappier, and close to the ideal of how I feel Forged in the Dark games should be played. Plus it sticks the landing.

With that said you could probably skip to Partisan, since it requires so little previous game knowledge (there are some nice easter eggs though for sure). If you like that though, the sequel is going to tackle how that world brushes up against TM so I am guessing some familiarity will be helpful there but who knows.

Its really funny to me how much TM mirrors counter/weight structurally, since it starts with an extremely tone-heavy system that makes for tricky radio, but sets an important tone that carries through when they inevitably switch systems to something that works really well and makes the rest of the season really go.

also Grand Magnificent is easily art's best character, and like top 5 in the entire show. the (twilight mirage late season spoilers)revelation that he sent a bomb to thanksgiving and it just never came up is an all time moment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Absolutely, that is one of the most memorable things of the show for me; it's funny they say "hey let's just have a bottle episode" at the beginning and it really spirals. And agreed, Grand Mag is an all time fave.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Varinn posted:

(twilight mirage late season spoilers)

Oh man, the table's out-of-character reaction to that is the sort of melodrama I wish I could get at my own tables. So good.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Keith is probably the consistently weakest player at the table, by virtue of his characters basically always being the same. Who's Fero Feritas? A goofy jokester whose antics constantly put him at odds with the party. What about Mako Trig? Well, he's a goofy jokester whose antics constantly put him at odds with the party. Lye Lychen? You see, he's a goofy jokester whose antics constantly put him at odds with the party. I'd like to see him explore the space more, like what Art does. I'm not always a fan of the characters Art ends up playing (but really, it's all downhill for him after Grand Magnificent), but I'm always interested in what direction he's interested in exploring each season - again, like Grand Mag, who at best was a liability and at worst was actively antagonistic to the party in super interesting ways.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just finished the Sherlock Holmes game part of Winter, and man it felt like it went on forever. I think the timing, coming almost immediately after the anniversary game, was a little unfortunate too. It was cool to have everyone together for a while though? As far as the actual plot goes I think things are getting pretty interesting, so I'm glad to be back to normal episodes. Oh, and I knew Nick was going to be leaving the show, but the way that was handled was super cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Got a couple of good Delta Green podcasts to throw into the recommendation ring.

The first is a very new podcast with only three episodes so far called Sleeping Low. It features two investigators exploring disappearances around a Appalachian mountain in the cold, cold winter. It is well produced and has great descriptions by the Handler that really sink you into the atmosphere of the cold snow and also hint at hidden trauma between the people described. I've only listened to the three episodes so I can't tell you if the end of the plot delivers, because they haven't posted it yet!

Links:
https://www.audible.com/pd/Sleeping-Low-Podcast/episodes/B09PZJBXVT
https://www.therotnetwork.com/

The other podcast is the old-timer Black Project Gaming . These players are veteran, nuanced, really get into character and the Handler is excellent as well. I've listened to a little of the Extremophilia actual play and the whole Impossible Landscapes (The Night Floors) season. What I've listened to is excellent and well produced. Very creepy and the inner strain of the character's sanity is well expressed and on display. Solid recommendation.

They also do D&D 5th edition which I have not listened to but I would wager is also excellently roleplayed.

https://blackprojectgaming.com/
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/black-project-gaming/id1448971789

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh my god, I just got to the part where Fero turns into sand at the Archives. I'm amazed at what a huge fucker Austin is, haha.