Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He’s absolutely terminally online. But the Tesla censorship/manipulation is definitely part of the package. The other day Musk said he’d undo Trump’s permaban which conveniently took over the news while the massive Tesla recall news was a blip in the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/uou6vm/scammers_are_getting_highly_intellectual_and_so/

Very well executed card skimmers at ATM's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: if you don’t already give the card reader a good hard tug before inserting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

These have actually been pretty common for almost half a decade now, and we're seeing ones that can even do chip and pin, which is why a lot of card issuers are moving to single use random card numbers that are assigned per use.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Almost a year ago El Salvador adopted Bitcoin as legal tender along with the dollar, and now the country is on the verge of defaulting:
https://twitter.com/_DavidFitz/status/1524424799912660992?s=20&t=mYN6IVqttJBRoQYEhE-GcQ

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

These have actually been pretty common for almost half a decade now, and we're seeing ones that can even do chip and pin, which is why a lot of card issuers are moving to single use random card numbers that are assigned per use.

How does that work with chip and PIN? Wouldn’t the chip be in the wrong place?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quarantinethepast posted:

Almost a year ago El Salvador adopted Bitcoin as legal tender along with the dollar, and now the country is on the verge of defaulting:
https://twitter.com/_DavidFitz/status/1524424799912660992?s=20&t=mYN6IVqttJBRoQYEhE-GcQ

I have faith in president Bukkake, he's got that serial entrepreneur spirit needed to bring El Hodlator TO THE MOON!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess crypto wasn't their savior after all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

How does that work with chip and PIN? Wouldn’t the chip be in the wrong place?

No, inserts the contacts in-between the reader and the card.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1525282174823546882

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't the entire point of chip-and-pin that you can't read the private key off it? Reader sends a code, chip converts it into a different code and sends it back, without ever revealing the other half of the keypair.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't the entire point of chip-and-pin that you can't read the private key off it? Reader sends a code, chip converts it into a different code and sends it back, without ever revealing the other half of the keypair.

I bet that’s how it works in non-us countries with better card systems, yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't those tunnels just go under a convention center and part of the strip? Why would they ever need to go 150mph or whatever?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Don't those tunnels just go under a convention center and part of the strip? Why would they ever need to go 150mph or whatever?

Yeah literally every aspect of the entire plan was an abject failure. Failed to dig viable tunnels, failed to dig the non-viable tunnels quickly or cheaply, failed to actually make a hyperloop in the slow, expensive, non-viable tunnels. Instead you've got the world's worst theme park ride except they also failed to make the autopilot work in the tunnels so you have to just get taxi'd by some guy.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

they don't, you're getting the various empty promises musk made confused

first, he said hyperloop would be a vacuum tube train, like would be ideal for mars. this is not even feasible to attempt on earth

then, there was the plan to just drill a warren of tunnels beneath cities, and make the vehicles in those tunnels move incredibly fast. this is at least possible to attempt on earth but it is fatally impractical for many reasons

next, the plan was to just put cars in tunnels, but to adapt tesla vehicles so that they could use guide wheels and travel at a high rate of speed down the tunnels. this idea can at least be attempted within a reasonable budget of money and time, but the engineering challenges are moderate and the potential gain minimal at best

finally, the plan was just to dig short segments of narrow tunnels between locations within a brisk walking distance. this is an entirely useless transportation system but it is at least relatively cheap to build

the expo center allowed it because this is where they host the Consumer Electronics Expo as well as other expositions and conferences around technology, so it doesn't matter if they have a crappy but unique transportation system in the basement. likewise, the city of las vegas permitted expansion of the system so long as they didn't have to pay for it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.activisionblizzard.com/newsroom/2022/05/king-diversity-space-tool posted:

The idea of a “tool” to make characters more diverse and inclusive may seem a little hard to wrap your head around. In practice, it has to be more than just, say, a pop-up reminder that between 2017 and 2021 nearly 80% of the highest selling games in the world featured white, male protagonists (according to a study conducted by Diamond Lobby). It needs to become a part of the incubation process from the start, baked into the pipeline as an unmissable and consistent step - which is exactly what this tool was designed to be.

“The Diversity Space Tool is a measurement device, to help identify how diverse a set of character traits are and in turn how diverse that character and casts are when compared to the ‘norm’,” explains Chomatas. Once it establishes a baseline for typical character traits (which is done by the creative team working closely with DE&I experts), it can then weigh new character designs against it to measure their diversity. During this process, the tool can also uncover unconscious bias, such as why certain traits are seen as “male” vs. “female,” or why characters from certain ethnic backgrounds are given similar personalities or behaviors.

The cowards removed the picture from the article, but all the text is still there.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I don't hate it

Seems like a decent way to get 'hard numbers' loving techbros/executives to think things through a little bit, even if it could become literally ticking boxes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just a terrible alternative to just hiring more people who aren't cis straight white guys and actually letting them have meaningful input.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

But are we surprised that the company that the state of California is suing for fostering a remarkably hostile environment of harassment can't think of a better way?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

I don't hate it

Seems like a decent way to get 'hard numbers' loving techbros/executives to think things through a little bit, even if it could become literally ticking boxes

Where would you say you fall on a scale of 1-10, ethnically speaking?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

So you didn't read the article.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does the dwarf have a bionic arm?

Does that not count for body type points?

Is it counting as a disability?

Disability to do what?

fool of sound posted:

Numerically, I would express my ethnicity as 127.0.0.1

That describes my home land, you see.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Does that not count for body type points?

Is it counting as a disability?

Disability to do what?

It used to be their fisting hand.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No, inserts the contacts in-between the reader and the card.

So at this point is the “tell” that your card barely slides in with effort behind it? I honestly thought that skimmers wouldn’t work as well with chips but if there’s enough wiggle room for a pass through that all goes out the window.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

So you didn't read the article.

I did and it's still nonsense. You can't assign values to identity like they're a D&D stat spread, and even if you could it's not actually useful for producing a meaningfully diverse cast because it treats everything outside of the straight white american mid-20s fully abled male not as valuable in its own right but as a sliding scale of exoticism. It's tokenism for a new age.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goddamnit I just know that next time I see a player's hosed up little gremlin in a Fromsoft game I'm gonna try to map it to this and get a diversity score

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Somebody map the Wreched Dung Eater onto it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I never understood why people think he’s a genius. He doesn’t actually do anything other than spout off ideas a child would have.

When a person wearing all the class signifiers of a serious businessman does that consistently for long enough without the slightest hint of shame, it generally works. It's simple social engineering.

It's not much different from how Elizabeth Holmes was able to run Theranos for more than a decade and get considerably famous off it, just by dressing up like Steve Jobs and constantly insisting her company could do what all the experts said was absolutely impossible. I often see Theranos described as an elaborate fraud, but she didn't really do anything special. She just lied consistently and shamelessly, while expressing the proper social signaling to win the trust of the demographic she was trying to scam. Once people were predisposed to assume she was telling the truth, there was the fact that her claims would be pretty groundshaking if true, so they threw tons of money and fame at her.

Xand_Man posted:

I don't hate it

The problem with putting "hard numbers" to diversity and feeding them into an algorithm is that there's still ultimately a human assigning all those values. If you've got an employee sitting at a desk with a list of racial groups trying to decide how many Diversity Points each one should be worth, there is a WAY deeper problem at play.

Moreover, when you're trying to put numbers to something, there's a temptation to try to minmax and game the numbers - especially if some exec is setting hard number requirements. And some of the categories they're assigning points for seem like they have potential to drive outright offensive depictions, not just tokenism.

Just look at this poo poo. There's a reason they pulled the images from the article.
https://twitter.com/PhDedede/status/1525205571422781440

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Platystemon posted:

It's weird seeing this written out because Torbjorn's a human but he's also 100% a Dwarf reference so :shrug:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with putting "hard numbers" to diversity and feeding them into an algorithm is that there's still ultimately a human assigning all those values. If you've got an employee sitting at a desk with a list of racial groups trying to decide how many Diversity Points each one should be worth, there is a WAY deeper problem at play.

Moreover, when you're trying to put numbers to something, there's a temptation to try to minmax and game the numbers - especially if some exec is setting hard number requirements. And some of the categories they're assigning points for seem like they have potential to drive outright offensive depictions, not just tokenism.

Just look at this poo poo. There's a reason they pulled the images from the article.
https://twitter.com/PhDedede/status/1525205571422781440

I agree with all of this (that grayed out "Cognitive Ability" gives me loving nightmares) and I don't really feel a need to defend Activision-Blizzard.

However...
It's a screening tool for unconscious bias. The alternative isn't "Hire diversely"; those things aren't mutually exclusive. It's a data-driven way to evaluate character diversity. I'd rather they do this sort of check in a rigorous way ( because let's be honest, in the Overwatch franchise they are 100% doing a 'diversity check' either way) then shoot from the hip. We've got decades of experience with that approach; while this is flawed it seems like a half step in the right direction.

That being said I hope their DEI teams are watching this poo poo like a hawk.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Also LOL that slim & curvy is the default. Never please change, video games.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Somebody map the Wreched Dung Eater onto it.

I have a name

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xand_Man posted:

It's weird seeing this written out because Torbjorn's a human but he's also 100% a Dwarf reference so :shrug:

Humans with dwarfism are by definition dwarfs.

The beard and engineering degree are just a personal style and career choice. :colbert:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Is it any better if instead of the trait scores being assigned manually by DE&I consultants they are automatically calculated from your existing asset population, so that it’s just a measure of how little you are representing that trait and helps to fill representation gaps? That way it doesn’t seem like some hosed up platonic ranking of races or whatever.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

editing a big D&D charachter sheet taht says "Racism" on it and looking back at the overwatch players for feedback like an executive at blizzard.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

withak posted:

:lol: if you don’t already give the card reader a good hard tug before inserting.

How'd you know I was a card reader?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

EMV protocol wasn't designed well and has a bunch of holes. Mostly banks just wave their hands at it and the actual security is provided by having a physical card + systematic fraud eventually getting you caught. (Plus it did accomplish its main goal of shifting fraud liability to customers)

For example, you can man in the middle and tell the card "this is a pinless transaction" and tell the payment terminal "the pin that was entered is correct" because the protocol is designed poorly. The terminal tells the bank "pin verified +card present" and the bank approves
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/banking/nopin/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

If you capture all the relevant info off the chip, how would you know if its the real card or not. Having a private key pair changes nothing if you can directly clone the entire chip during a read. And if you capture enough of the info, you can spoof the chip as a mag strip since most of the same info needed to process a purchase is there.

Foxfire_ posted:

EMV protocol wasn't designed well and has a bunch of holes. Mostly banks just wave their hands at it and the actual security is provided by having a physical card + systematic fraud eventually getting you caught. (Plus it did accomplish its main goal of shifting fraud liability to customers)

For example, you can man in the middle and tell the card "this is a pinless transaction" and tell the payment terminal "the pin that was entered is correct" because the protocol is designed poorly. The terminal tells the bank "pin verified +card present" and the bank approves
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/banking/nopin/

This. Current chip and pin doesn't do anything really like MFA or verify with the bank, the reader itself does most of the authentication, which is a major problem since the card reader is effectively stupid and doesn't care if its a real or fake card as long as the information lines up during the processing with the bank.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xand_Man posted:

Describe some of the nonhuman characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Describe some of the nonhuman characters.

Sure:
  • Winston, a gorilla who received experimental gene therapy to adapt to life on the lunar colonies that increased his intelligence
  • "Wrecking Ball", the mech suit piloted by a hamster exposed to the same therapy with the same results
  • Zenyatta, an intelligent machine and former spiritual leader who believes he has a soul due to "omnic energy", a substance captured by intelligent robots that creates a unique personality for them and dissipates on their destruction
  • Bastion, a veteran of the omnic wars, which happened when techbros sold automated manufactories that wound up broken and abandoned, but mysteriously reactivated one day and produced indiscriminate killbots. Bastion was disabled in one of the last battles and missed in the purges that followed the war
  • Orisa, a young omnic built after the war from decommissioned security robots
  • and Echo, an experimental omnic who learned to mirror her creator, sealed during the war