Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

People pay a lot of money for discontinued sets and poo poo. Plus the pandemic made absolutely every collectables market go loving bonkers. It's not just records.

Oh I’m sure, I just have no sense of that market. Is it one storage locker or 10, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Several years ago a friend of mine loaned me his LEGO Millenium Falcon set, the huge 10k+ piece one. I had a blast putting it together, then it just kinda sat on an end table in my house for two years gathering dust. Eventually he decided to sell most of his collection, and ended up selling that one for almost $6000 (he paid original msrp of $500). Never would have let him loan it to me if I'd known it was worth that much!

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
So I'm relatively new to the vinyl game having only started collecting for a little over a year. Where do you guys go online for your vinyl? I'm looking for some copies of some hard to find records and all the prices I am seeing are WAY more than I want to spend.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

JohnnyQPublic posted:

So I'm relatively new to the vinyl game having only started collecting for a little over a year. Where do you guys go online for your vinyl? I'm looking for some copies of some hard to find records and all the prices I am seeing are WAY more than I want to spend.

Are you familiar with Discogs? That's where I go for hard to find used records. For the most part prices are fair for what I am in to.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JohnnyQPublic posted:

How are you supposed to find musty smelling records online?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Dial-up.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Like the other person mentioned, discogs is great. If you make a want list it will tell you how many things a seller has from it and you can save some money on shipping by combining stuff.

I also like to look at r/vinyldeals and r/vinylreleases (reddit)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CatBlack posted:

Like the other person mentioned, discogs is great. If you make a want list it will tell you how many things a seller has from it and you can save some money on shipping by combining stuff.

Note that, if you're anything like me, this can get very dangerous. "Let's see what else they're selling to make the shipping worth it" and next thing you know, you've got a box of "random-but-cool-looking" poo poo in addition to the two items from your wantlist. :ohdear:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I have fallen in that trap before. Ended up with a basement full of stuff, that while probably worth some money, was not worth my time to sell.

I now feel like I'm the curator of a collection and I need to see it gets into good hands. How's that?

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
Thanks all, I will have to look around there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CatBlack posted:

I also like to look at r/vinyldeals and r/vinylreleases (reddit)

Speaking of discogs. I ordered Metals by Feist from a seller in Germany. Took a few weeks to get delivered. This is what I pulled out.

Uh, what do I do? Do we think I can remove the label? Or do I need to insist on a refund from the seller?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

was it sealed? if it was I would send that picture to them and ask what they can do. most likely they'll just refund you the cost of the thing unless they have something on hand to send you a new one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

was it sealed? if it was I would send that picture to them and ask what they can do. most likely they'll just refund you the cost of the thing unless they have something on hand to send you a new one.

No, it wasn't sealed. They did have it listed as "near mint" though. I sent him a message, we'll see what he says. It's out of print, so I don't think he'll just be able to send a new one.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
If they graded it either they lied or didn't inspect it. You should definitely get some sort of refund.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nihonniboku posted:

No, it wasn't sealed. They did have it listed as "near mint" though. I sent him a message, we'll see what he says. It's out of print, so I don't think he'll just be able to send a new one.

yeah agreed with above. if the sold it with the knowledge that they looked and inspected the disc before sending it out and did it knowing the defect then they either will refund you (though their honesty is in question sending this out to begin with) or you'll need to file a complaint with Paypal and Discogs to get your money back and they'll get a ding on their discogs account.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

Speaking of discogs. I ordered Metals by Feist from a seller in Germany. Took a few weeks to get delivered. This is what I pulled out.

Uh, what do I do? Do we think I can remove the label? Or do I need to insist on a refund from the seller?

But how does it sound??

I hope the dealer works with you on that, unexcusable for an unsealed record.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

What is the seller's Discogs rating %, out of curiosity?

I only buy from folks with 99.5%+ ratings...which sounds strict, but there's a lot of 'em out there, and I haven't been burned yet. Do keep in mind that I'm NOT an audiophile, so YMMV.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

What is the seller's Discogs rating %, out of curiosity?

I only buy from folks with 99.5%+ ratings...which sounds strict, but there's a lot of 'em out there, and I haven't been burned yet. Do keep in mind that I'm NOT an audiophile, so YMMV.

97.6%

Edit: Looking at the negative reviews now, they all talk about how the seller is slow to reply to messages to address issues, or doesn't reply at all. I might have to go through paypal for a refund.

Edit 2: Does anyone have any tips for removing the label without damaging the record?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 13, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I took a few records out of my stacks and played a song off each one. Here are the results of that.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-2022_5/

funk soul and jazz stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

I took a few records out of my stacks and played a song off each one. Here are the results of that.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-2022_5/

funk soul and jazz stuff.

Ah thank you

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JohnnyQPublic posted:

the prices I am seeing are WAY more than I want to spend.

That's what record collecting is now. Anyway discogs for old poo poo, go to the label websites for new poo poo. Discogs can be kind of a crapshoot because half the time the sellers didn't grade poo poo right or straight up lie and you get a record full of scratches that they told you was in pristine condition. If you want to find deals on discogs make a want list and it'll alert you to new copies of poo poo. I've gotten great deals that way. Really if you want cool poo poo cheap you basically have yo never stop looking whether it be online or in junk shops, thrift stores, yard sales, and record stores. I'm on discogs on a near daily basis and I go to a thrift store near me 2-5 times a week.

It's also worth pointing out that I'm an obsessive malcontent. So your mileage may vary. But if you want stuff cheap then thems is the breaks.

Nihonniboku posted:

Edit 2: Does anyone have any tips for removing the label without damaging the record?

You can't. It's pressed into the disc.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I found a record I don't remember buying sideways behind my dresser.

It's the Fetus Christ/Mangle split, I'd post it but there's a lobotomy photo on the cover.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

You can't. It's pressed into the disc.

drat. I just tried to play the record to see if maybe it was pressed onto a part of the record where there was no music, but sadly it covers the final 2 songs. It just plays static when it hits the label.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

I found a record I don't remember buying sideways behind my dresser.

It's the Fetus Christ/Mangle split, I'd post it but there's a lobotomy photo on the cover.

Could be haunted, beware

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

drat. I just tried to play the record to see if maybe it was pressed onto a part of the record where there was no music, but sadly it covers the final 2 songs. It just plays static when it hits the label.

This stuff inside the red circle (but outside a property placed label) is the part where there's no music.

All the other stuff outside is literally the sound wave cut into the record

The clear bands is the gap between songs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Toe Rag posted:

This stuff inside the red circle (but outside a property placed label) is the part where there's no music.

Yeah, I assumed that to be the case, but I was just hoping that there was a shred of a possibility that it could work.

Anyway, the seller saw my message, but didn't reply, so I've filed a claim through Paypal. Near mint my rear end.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That loving sucks, dude, especially for something out of print. I'd say to listen to the parts that aren't hosed up to at least try to enjoy that, but lord knows you may mess up your needle if it accidentally grazes the busted part.

Toe Rag posted:

I've had this explained to me so many times, and yet every time it blows me away. :allears: It's so old, and yet somehow seems so futuristic at the same time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I assumed that to be the case, but I was just hoping that there was a shred of a possibility that it could work.

Anyway, the seller saw my message, but didn't reply, so I've filed a claim through Paypal. Near mint my rear end.

Excuse me but the grooves under that label are as mint as they get!

Serious response: I always side eye anyone who lists something as "near mint" because they're basically no way something is unless they never removed it from the sleeve.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The record was physically near some mint.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The moment I unseal a new/sealed record and take it out of the sleeve to look at the run-outs and enter it into my collection on Discogs it gets graded as VG+

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Today's get!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Dead Goon posted:

The moment I unseal a new/sealed record and take it out of the sleeve to look at the run-outs and enter it into my collection on Discogs it gets graded as VG+

Exactly this. I also love the people who use the ratings to say VG and then in the description put that it’s really like a V++++, practically near mint copy, EX-Mint.

With all the fomo that goes on with records, especially new collectors, I maintain that someone could make a fortune by acting as a “professional grading service” for vinyl similar to what has perverted sports cards and comics.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shoutout to Metavinyl in Santa Cruz, found Moses Sumney’s Grae there. :hellyeah:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

caligulamprey posted:

Shoutout to Metavinyl in Santa Cruz, found Moses Sumney’s Grae there. :hellyeah:

I'm going there tomorrow. :stare: Greetings, local goon! Shoot me a PM if you ever wanna go record-shopping together!

I actually only knew about Streetlight, but a bartender dude I'm a regular with clued me in to Metavinyl's existence! I'm kicking myself for not knowing about it sooner.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 14, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Sorry to double post, but I have received a box of Linda Ronstadt albums, plus the last two Pointer Sisters album I needed to complete the set. :dance:

Absolutely love the Pointer Sisters, their style changes across their discography are probably my favorite. :love: All kinds of styles, original or cover...love those ladies!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry to double post, but I have received a box of Linda Ronstadt albums, plus the last two Pointer Sisters album I needed to complete the set. :dance:

Absolutely love the Pointer Sisters, their style changes across their discography are probably my favorite. :love: All kinds of styles, original or cover...love those ladies!

Remember when they were on Drag Race?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Exactly this. I also love the people who use the ratings to say VG and then in the description put that it’s really like a V++++, practically near mint copy, EX-Mint.

With all the fomo that goes on with records, especially new collectors, I maintain that someone could make a fortune by acting as a “professional grading service” for vinyl similar to what has perverted sports cards and comics.

Please don't will this poo poo into existence.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

spinst posted:

Today's get!

Heck yeah great album

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Today's deliveries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

spinst posted:

Today's deliveries!

Nice. I haven't listened to Mates Of State in a long time and kind of forgot about them. Gonna have to recheck them out.