Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

How are they going to keep playing the "VS" angle? Actually, I don't know why I'm asking, it's like I'm giving them credit for making sense.

Basketball game. Kong has no chance. Godzilla has gone toe to toe with Barkley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Bring back space Godzilla you cowards.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring back Gareth Edwards and/or Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vintersorg posted:

Bring back Gareth Edwards and/or Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts seems to be entirely locked up by Mental Gear Solid/nearly being killed in Vietnam these days and Gareth Evans seems to have pissed off the Hollywood gods with whatever went down during Rogue One. A shame as they did direct the two best Monsterverse entries.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JVR has been silent on insta for a few months now. I’m concerned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Bring back Hideaki Anno and/or Kazuki Ōmori.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Gareth Evans

Edwards, though a movie directed by Gareth Evans with Iko Uwais as mocapped Godzilla would be tight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/mondonews/status/1525225783119192072?s=21&t=x3b4NW7M6ggaVESjunPq6g

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It looks like he's babysitting for Mothra.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will not loving put up with this slander

https://twitter.com/lurie_john/status/1525234935702880259?s=20&t=VnAAelNXiIh95RN68fKHJg

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You said it, not a dry eye in the house when Destoroyah plays! If that's not an Oscar performance from the Big G, I don't know what is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing to improve if you nail it the first time out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's nothing to improve if you nail it the first time out.

I mean it's this.

Shin Godzilla is a good movie, an all timer in the kaiju genre

But Gojira 1954 is something goddamn else.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Every time I watch Godzilla vs Destoroyah I convince myself that I'm not going to cry. There's no way. This movie is just dumb fun with cool monster designs, right?

But then we get to Godzilla's death and his son just died and he's so sad and he's clearly in horrible pain and they won't stop shooting him, even as he's dying, and he does that one turn with his mouth wide open but no sound coming out like he's asking why, and the music and the way his fire and soul seep out through his throat with one final, agonizing roar and he's melting gently caress gently caress gently caress oh god I'm not even watching it and I'm getting choked up.

It's so loving sad.

But that last shot is up there with Shin Godzilla's last shot as one of the coolest moments in the whole franchise. Honestly it might be even better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

How are they going to keep playing the "VS" angle? Actually, I don't know why I'm asking, it's like I'm giving them credit for making sense.

we're about due for a "godzilla is being mind controlled" entry to the series

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
How the hell would Kong even react to meeting Mothra? It'd either be the most interesting monster conversation in the world or one of them would just drop the other one into lava without a second thought.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

maybe Kojima didn't hate Shin Ultraman as much as we thought

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1525745422660419584?s=20&t=sfE4ajHo3Vg4Zjdi5HN5eg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gripweed posted:

maybe Kojima didn't hate Shin Ultraman as much as we thought

Is it bad? I've been looking around for a way to watch it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So I wasn't going to say anything because I wanted to see the general reactions, but when Kojima mentioned seeing Ultraman- that was special advanced screenings, ahead of public release.

Meaning, likely, he either couldn't, or simply didn't want to out of respect, say anything

BiggerBoat posted:

Quite the opposite. It's apparently really, really good

See the joke here is, if Kojima tweets that he 'saw movie' and doesn't elaborate, he doesn't like it. WHich is largely true.

But in this case, he saw it in previews, so he couldn't say much.

but now that it's released

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1525800687682355201

(his feed is full of Ultraman and Death Stranding right now)

Burkion fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

The only way to watch it is to be in Japan and go to the theater at this point.

Everyone I know who's seen it really liked it, but at the same time has said it was not what they were expecting, but that's a good thing. It sounds completely wild. Also the movie program has stated that it is a planned trilogy with the third film being Shin Ultra7

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggerBoat posted:

for context Kojima often does (what appear to be) very pointed "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" tweets about movies, to the point of it being a running joke, while he analyzes + gushes over stuff he likes. that's all anyone in this conversation has to go on

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Going by how hes been tweeting a bunch of ultraman stuff today, i think its safe to say he doesnt hate it. That being said it has been all about merch and not the movie itself so idk

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Altho wait, he saw it twice, i think that points to the initial tweet him being safe about not spoiling anything

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for context Kojima often does (what appear to be) very pointed "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" tweets about movies, to the point of it being a running joke, while he analyzes + gushes over stuff he likes. that's all anyone in this conversation has to go on

It’s fun to read into it

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1524034857361625088?s=21&t=jZnJ-Y7-xH-W-yx0sJYLJw

Compared to say

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1510540770926743555?s=21&t=jZnJ-Y7-xH-W-yx0sJYLJw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To me it looks like Morbious left him speechless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Morbius speaks for itself.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Judging by the dorsal plates this looks like a millennium Godzilla/Mothra bust?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

That's a shame. GvK sucked so bad.

It's the Godzilla movie that normies wanted. honestly this is a compliment, it cut the boring bullshit and got to the good bullshit.

as a fan Im willing to suffer thru endless board meetings about kaiju, but regular folks earned a break

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I discussed this a while back, but some of my issues with GvK were the scale of the battles. They moved with absolutely no weight and the camera zipped around them at thousands of miles per hour

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They were all mostly really dark, or covered up by weather and dark, which I know helps cover up for the massive amounts of CGI but it makes it awful to watch. What I'm saying is bring back the guy in the suit

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 19, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

? That's true of the other Monsterverse movies but GvK battles were prettt visible.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

? That's true of the other Monsterverse movies but GvK battles were prettt visible.

Oh, yeah woops my brain defaulted GVK to thinking King Ghidorah not vs Kong.

That movie was just bad but not for that reason. The cameras flying around though is a valid thing

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If GVK was meant to be the 'braindead, what non-kajiju fans think kaiju movies are' movie, it still failed because it had at least 2 movies worth of plot thrown together. Tons of time was spent on the Hollow Earth team and the corporate conspiracy stuff but neither of them got the space to be worthwhile or complete.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 19, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i found monster scenes to actually be really entertaining

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A real kaiju movie is like 70% talking and arguing and 30% monsters.

And that’s good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's how I like em.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If we remove humans talking from kaiju films they stop counting as movies and are now just WWE bouts with monsters

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a sentence I haven't read before:

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1527348415528521728?t=H94P8YPdh6N0_5B9UCdKBw&s=19

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1527441472886214657

Didn't even know there was a show in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shakman is a legend. He's directed tons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, so he has experience with epic monsters throwing down. Danny Devito is way more intense than King Caesar.