Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The dpad and face button placement here look horrid.

The new SMB & Zelda game and watches have the same problem, buttons way too close to the bottom. It's like they never tested the things with actual human hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

If they just vertically swapped the pad/buttons with the analog sticks, it would be fine. But in that configuration I'd be already taking pain meds in preparation for a play session.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
With the Nintendo Game & Watches, it's because they're copying the old Game and Watches which were made back when ergonomics weren't really a thing and they weren't designed to be played for more than 5 minutes at a time anyway

With the new Powkiddy abomination it's because they wanted the control layout to resemble a smiley face

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Well that’s a bit on the nose

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

madmatt112 posted:

lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Update this morning on my RP2+. On hold.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else had save issues with a 351 device? I’ve got a few hours into Mother 3 last night. Did a save state and an in game save. And I have it set to save on exit.

Well the system locked up when resuming from sleep this morning as it does occasionally. I hit the reset button, waited for it to load and when I did my mother 3 game only shows a save from like 1 hour into the game? And no save states. I thought I was crazy and accidentally loaded two roms. But nope I’m literally back near the beginning.

Not a huge deal but it makes me nervous to put 30 hours into a game if this may happen again. I haven’t played much GBA stuff on the 351v.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine has literally never done that and I did a M3 play through recently.

What OS and version you running there pal?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Rolo posted:

Mine has literally never done that and I did a M3 play through recently.

What OS and version you running there pal?

AmberElec. It’s the latest stable build. Yeah it’s really random.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone wanted a controller for their phone

This is a pretty good deal imo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115106987379

Same seller has the android version for $30 if that’s your thing.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Disappointing Pie posted:

AmberElec. It’s the latest stable build. Yeah it’s really random.
Maybe it comes from your microSD card?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My Miyoo Mini from that dodgy seller claimed it was finally delivered today, of course my mail hasn't even come yet. Tracking number never functioned at any point so for me it's refund time. Not at all surprising, just sharing where I'm at.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mischievous Mink posted:

My Miyoo Mini from that dodgy seller claimed it was finally delivered today, of course my mail hasn't even come yet. Tracking number never functioned at any point so for me it's refund time. Not at all surprising, just sharing where I'm at.

i just did the exact same thing.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone wanted a controller for their phone

This is a pretty good deal imo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115106987379

Same seller has the android version for $30 if that’s your thing.

Nice, I'm in for an android one, thanks for the share

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kishi is pretty decent. Triggers are a bit squeaky but it did the job pretty well for First Soldier and Wild Rift.

..why the hell did I never install Steam Link on my phone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

madmatt112 posted:

I will not go quietly into the night until a slightly more portable Deck drops. Give me the Deck Lite and make it the size of a Switch Lite and I will sell a lot of gaming poo poo.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else had save issues with a 351 device? I’ve got a few hours into Mother 3 last night. Did a save state and an in game save. And I have it set to save on exit.

Well the system locked up when resuming from sleep this morning as it does occasionally. I hit the reset button, waited for it to load and when I did my mother 3 game only shows a save from like 1 hour into the game? And no save states. I thought I was crazy and accidentally loaded two roms. But nope I’m literally back near the beginning.

Not a huge deal but it makes me nervous to put 30 hours into a game if this may happen again. I haven’t played much GBA stuff on the 351v.

I had something similar happen on Metroid Zero Mission with my 351v. Was doing the escape sequence at the very end of the game and I can't remember if the battery died or it crashed but I think the former. When I started it again later that day the last save was from several hours before. I was only using in-game saves.

This was when they first came out and I was using whatever software came with the device (although my own roms). I never had it happen on another game but I didn't play many GBA games on it and my son usurped the device pretty quickly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I didn’t even see that 351ELEC is now AmberELEC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

I will not go quietly into the night until a slightly more portable Deck drops. Give me the Deck Lite and make it the size of a Switch Lite and I will sell a lot of gaming poo poo.

I think this is just the Ayn Odin.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Ayaneo Air could be promising too, with its OLED screen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
RGC video on the V2 Miyoo Mini* as well as an updated guide to OnionOS as well as the MiniUI launcher;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLiT21Ddnuk

*only for the existing colors shared with the V1(Grey and White), he's going to do videos on the new Blue and Black colors when he gets his hands on those ones

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

RP2+ arrived, woohoo!
Haven't loaded it up with anything, yet, but no signs of issues with the screen besides the touch registration in the very corners, which I already knew about. Only issue so far is that the little grommet that seals the SD card slot is a poo poo to poke back in, and I have to get a thin knife to push the tongue back down - it's like the tongue is too wide and wedging with the grommet pulled out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s the Miyoo for longer plays? Specifically holding it for at least an hour and reading text in games?

I kinda want that blue ugh.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Rolo posted:

How’s the Miyoo for longer plays? Specifically holding it for at least an hour and reading text in games?

Depends mostly on what you're playing. Platformer? Sounds miserable to me.

I have had a couple fairly long sessions playing FF6 with the MSU-1 music and it's been fine, though with that I usually play with one hand for comfort, it's super easy to bounce between dpad and buttons for RPGs. No problems with the text, at least.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bought a Miyoo Mini while I wait for someone to jailbreak the Analogue. Is there a get started guide anyone likes?

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Chemmy posted:

Bought a Miyoo Mini while I wait for someone to jailbreak the Analogue. Is there a get started guide anyone likes?

Retro Game Corps does awesome guides. Here's his latest one for the Miyoo Mini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLiT21Ddnuk

It's a review video as well but he goes over the different custom launchers for it as well as how to update the firmware.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rolo posted:

I have pretty small hands so the Miyoo has been fine for long plays of anything that doesn't use the shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons are unfortunately pretty bad-- it's fine when you need them very occasionally for a JRPG or for item switching in MGS or something like that, but there's no good way to hold the thing that will let you rest your fingers there for constant access (at least that I've figured out) so something like Drill Dozer or Ridge Racer Type 4 was annoying to me.

For the $60 I paid I'm still very happy, and it's certainly workable, it's just not the ideal form factor for anything that relies heavily on those buttons.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I should sell my RP2+ and Vita and just get a Ayn Odin pro, or even sell them and save up and get an Aya Neo. The difference between the Ayn and the Aya is huge, but is the Aya Neo $1000 more device than the Odin? Probably not? But then, I spend that much every two years on a new phone, so why am I getting hung up over the cost of the Aya Neo? Anyone here have an Odin or a Neo and can offer an idea of what using one of the regularly is like?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I should sell my RP2+ and Vita and just get a Ayn Odin pro, or even sell them and save up and get an Aya Neo. The difference between the Ayn and the Aya is huge, but is the Aya Neo $1000 more device than the Odin? Probably not? But then, I spend that much every two years on a new phone, so why am I getting hung up over the cost of the Aya Neo? Anyone here have an Odin or a Neo and can offer an idea of what using one of the regularly is like?

Put the $5 down on a base steam deck.

If you are in the Odin or Neo price range the Deck blows them out of the water.

I have a Neo (in the closet some place lol) and now a Deck and the deck is by far the better device.

I've also put an order in for the Odin (which should have shipped months ago) so even if you tried to get one today who knows when that would even ship.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Put the $5 down on a base steam deck.

If you are in the Odin or Neo price range the Deck blows them out of the water.

I have a Neo (in the closet some place lol) and now a Deck and the deck is by far the better device.

I've also put an order in for the Odin (which should have shipped months ago) so even if you tried to get one today who knows when that would even ship.

Can you user-upgrade the HDD on the base deck to a good (big) drive?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Another thing to maybe consider if you are willing to spend that much is a tablet. Granted, it’s not exactly a handheld but may be worth the money. I got a galaxy tab 8+ and so far I’ve only tried GameCube and ps2 games but it has been a lot of fun.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

remigious posted:

Another thing to maybe consider if you are willing to spend that much is a tablet. Granted, it’s not exactly a handheld but may be worth the money. I got a galaxy tab 8+ and so far I’ve only tried GameCube and ps2 games but it has been a lot of fun.

Tablet might work, but I like having integrated controls (do those slide on controllers like the Backbone and GameSIR work with tablets?). I'm also invested in the Apple prison pretty heavily and I don't want to jump through the "fake dev server" hoops for emulating on an iPhone/Pad

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Yes, they just have to buy a special type of mini SSD used in some laptops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_x4l34dzQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 16, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah as pointed out above or you could just use a big rear end SD card. I’ve got quite a few games installed on my SD card and I sure can’t tell a difference from the ones running on the SSD.

The cheapest one is a steal imo and they seem to be working through those the quickest on the back orders.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah as pointed out above or you could just use a big rear end SD card. I’ve got quite a few games installed on my SD card and I sure can’t tell a difference from the ones running on the SSD.

The cheapest one is a steal imo and they seem to be working through those the quickest on the back orders.

:hmmyes: I mean for $5 down why not right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Tablet might work, but I like having integrated controls (do those slide on controllers like the Backbone and GameSIR work with tablets?). I'm also invested in the Apple prison pretty heavily and I don't want to jump through the "fake dev server" hoops for emulating on an iPhone/Pad

The other thing too is that emulation on even the newest iPad is not quite where it is on Android. I think it's because dynamic recompilation only recently became supported again? And I think you still have to jump through hoops for even that. I got an iPad for reasons other than emulation, but when I looked into it on a whim I was like drat I expected a lot more.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I'm good. I'll forget about my SteamDeck reservation until I get the email saying I can buy it and be like "ooh, a treat!" I'll stick with my existing toys for now (or get a Ayn Odin Lite when the reviews are out on them :v: )

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

remigious posted:

Yeah my big gripe with the tablet option is the handheldness - I have a galaxy tab s6 lite and it plays psx games fine - never tested N64 or higher, but it's a bit cumbersome to set up the tablet somewhere and also use the controller. Not as convenient as my switch for sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Man I'd probably plonk down for a Deck if Gabe wasn't still mad at Australia for forcing him to implement refunds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Same. I feel like we'll finally get the ability to order the first model Steam deck right as they release a revision to the rest of the world.