Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

I have a new test to determine whether a person is an NHL goalie: you flip a coin.

It has a 99.99999979% false positive rate. But the false negative rate is only 50%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

cruft posted:

I asked my statistician friends about this, because it seems like if you have a yes/no test that's less than 50% accurate, it's actually doing a good job, you just need to take the inverse.
I think the thing here is that there's actually two 'accuracies', and "37% accurate" is kind of meaningless.

If they mean it has 0% false positives and 37% 'accurate' detection (i.e. 63% false negatives) then you can just run it a lot of times and get a good result (assuming the failure rate is random and not caused by some reproducible attribute of the test-taker.)

But if it had say 10% false positives and 63% false negatives then it gets close to useless because then if you keep redoing it it will always eventually 'detect'. You could eventually draw a meaningful conclusion from the ratio of pos to neg results with sufficient retests.

If it had 37% false positives and 63% false negatives then it would be literally useless.

Also fun is that if it's the only test you have, you can't even tell what the false positive or false negative rate is, because you don't know if the thing under test is a true positive or true negative, and the only way you can measure that is with the test that you don't know how reliable it is...

cruft

cruft posted:

I have a new test to determine whether a person is an NHL goalie: you flip a coin.

It has a 99.99999979% false positive rate. But the false negative rate is only 50%!

Yeah, I don't think this is right.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

you are right that type of probability math is for drop rate and things that can happen multiple times not a test with possible false positives and negatives. I don't normally do that type of thing so I used a screw driver on a nail. Hey it kinda worked!

sig by owlhawk911

Goons Are Gifts

who thought we would get into statistics at this time of the day

Dukes Mayo Clinic
I have lurked so hard that most of my bookmarks are in single- or double-digit unreads; now I must face the consequences and

post.

Finger Prince

Ok math nerds you've had your fun. Nasal swabs aren't enough to reliably detect newer variants of covid, even when you're symptomatic, until you've been symptomatic for a few days. Nasal plus throat swabs will detect it earlier if you're symptomatic. It's not a statistical problem, it's a threshold and testing procedure problem.

Escape From Noise

I'm not good at math but a coin toss just gives you a random result, whereas a disease or drug test (that's based on an actual chemical reaction or whatever) gives results based on different factors other than getting one side or another half the time. Chemical reactions and the like aren't perfect, and can end up giving inconclusive results sometimes, which is why lab tests are run multiple times in order to test for accuracy.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
hello

pixaal

gullnado orbs

sig by owlhawk911

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Good morbning.
:coffeepal:

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am glad i live in an era where i can go to the grocery and purchase bok choy at a reasonable price and don't have to spend my whole life travelling to china just to get a taste of em

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

a roundabout way of saying yum i had a big bowl of fried bok choy for lunch hooray

Ass-penny

I want Arby's but I'm still testing positive :negative:

I guess I'm eating pb&js and canned soup forever now

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'll toss ur coins iykwim

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Dukes Mayo Clinic
I'll can your soup iykwim

it will last longer and you'll have it when you need it

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517yf9XkQdk

Robot Made of Meat

Goons Are Great posted:

who thought we would get into statistics at this time of the day

I can easily believe six impossible things before breakfast, but statistics at this time of day?

I never!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

sb hermit

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I can easily believe six impossible things before breakfast, but statistics at this time of day?

I never!

:same:

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I did a bunch of dancing and now I eat Graham crackers before bed

xcheopis

aldantefax posted:

I had a lemon meringue tart. I shouldn't have. I should forfeit sugar for the month, given that I ate half a cake a few weeks ago. But it's been an exhausting week and lemon meringue is so very tasty!

Driving down the continent with a pistol in her lap
Followed by a handsome man who says his name is Jack

Robot Made of Meat

aldantefax posted:

I'm always suspicious of any product which was invented to stop masturbation.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I'm always suspicious of any product which was invented to stop masturbation.

I can't say they're particularly effective though

pixaal

I don't think I've had a cat that likes this but I've seen others. My cat is a weird one that likes the against the grain followed by the quick smoothing out type of pat over a normal just single direction pat.

But if you do pat him just one way you better not forget the tail! All the way!

I've been told most cats don't like either of these.

Goons Are Gifts

just saw this amazing video of a very proud and enduring cockatiel lady who finally manages to fulfill her dream of becoming a mommy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAUhTPqESdk

Escape From Noise

Holy crap.

Apparently this guy was called "Michael Jordan of Pizza Throwing" (thankfully in the article they hyperlink Michael Jordan in case you don't know who that is)

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

I don't think I've had a cat that likes this but I've seen others. My cat is a weird one that likes the against the grain followed by the quick smoothing out type of pat over a normal just single direction pat.

a certain number of cats seem to love it when you grasp the base of their tail and pull upwards. obviously somewhat gently and not with all your might, but with some of them it can be firmly enough to lift their hind legs off the ground. the majority seem to hate this though, so you have to be kinda careful in determining whether a given cat is receptive to this.

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

every cat is a puzzle with teeth

xcheopis

Heather Papps posted:

Razor blades and needles

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

:powercatte:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

The amount of work I am not getting done today is amazing.

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

The amount of work I am not getting done today is amazing.

sounds like a good day. I thought you had a day job, you normally work saturdays?

xcheopis

rear end-penny posted:

sounds like a good day. I thought you had a day job, you normally work saturdays?

I do have a day job and I don't work Saturdays!
However.
We had to pack up half the apartment because the landlord had Orkin go through the complex, all of which now needs to be put back or thrown out or packed up for storage AND I also have a lot of laundry AND I'm still sorting through stuff and packing things away from before the Orkin incident AND the storage space run by scummy scammers needs to be emptied (which is a lot of trips with the ol' shopping cart) AND I need to wash a few dishes (not many but effort) AND do general cleaning in general.
I am currently eating my third peach of the day and contemplating another nap. None of the above chores have even been started.

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

I do have a day job and I don't work Saturdays!
However.
We had to pack up half the apartment because the landlord had Orkin go through the complex, all of which now needs to be put back or thrown out or packed up for storage AND I also have a lot of laundry AND I'm still sorting through stuff and packing things away from before the Orkin incident AND the storage space run by scummy scammers needs to be emptied (which is a lot of trips with the ol' shopping cart) AND I need to wash a few dishes (not many but effort) AND do general cleaning in general.
I am currently eating my third peach of the day and contemplating another nap. None of the above chores have even been started.

sure, procrastination. it's something I excel at. good luck friend!

biosterous

ooh i should buy some peaches maybe

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

xcheopis

rear end-penny posted:

sure, procrastination. it's something I excel at. good luck friend!

I'm also not working on my procrastination dissertation.

biosterous posted:

ooh i should buy some peaches maybe

Stone fruit season is upon us!

Ass-penny

anytime there's extra stuff, in addition to my weekly tasks, it becomes a whole thing. I'm barely confident I'm going to get my weekly stuff done. there's a tree in my backyard that is neigh dead, I don't think I've seen any buds in it's branches at all this year, and I knew it was dying last year, and this winter posted about it losing bark... some helpful goon here in the WH&C thread linked me an article that really drove home the message that the tree is in sad shape. anyway, I've known for months I need to have someone come look at it, tell me if there's any hope of treatment or if I should just cut it down. a quick internet search and a phone call away and I could have that project on the calendar and moving but :effort:

Heather Papps

hello friend

gonna start describing productive days as "3 peach days"

xcheopis

The one good thing about the Orkin stuff is that I started tossing some stuff and I'm about to toss more, if I can get myself up and moving. Mostly just old pans that are really not useful at all and old clothes that don't fit but are in decent shape and maybe a box of them out on the sidewalk will be of use to any of the plethora of homeless people in this neighborhood. That sort of thing. Free up some space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Heather Papps posted:

gonna start describing productive days as "3 peach days"

lol