Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Classic Silicon Valley. "Disrupt" an industry and then slowly devolve back into that same old system as you chase the money. Rinse. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just threw a quadro p400 in mine, it doesn’t take much

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Same

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quadro P2000 but otherwise same, works like a champ.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

MikusR posted:

Main reason for Android TV based TV/box: https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext

Smart Tube with SponsorBlock is so, so good.
(SponsorBlock is great in general, but to have it on my TV via SmartTube is the best)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Same but it has some weirdness with Plex/PsuedoTV so I disabled hardware decoding. I have 12 core Xeon and 4k sequestered in its own library so it’s not that big of a deal.

Thing rips through Tdarr though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

I would also say that if you like tinkering with tech, now's a good time to look into setting up PiHole on your network. Not that it's a perfect solution, I know there have been times where I think both Google and Amazon have, in the past, made it so that their devices won't work at all if they can't reach their ad-serving CDNs.

I agree w/ this. I love PiHole.

But I am close to putting my appletv on an exception because every cable station app needs the ad serving network or it won’t load live video.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've got a third generation Chromecast plugged into my TV. I use it to cast from my phone to play. I've recently using a Plex server where nearly everything is encoded in 1080p h265. It plays just fine on my phone, but the Chromecast struggles badly so I need to get a replacement device.

Chromecast with Google TV for £60 seems the natural replacement (probably with f-launcher & SmartTube that I learnt about earlier in this page) given what I cast is pretty much just Plex/YouTube/Netflix. Reading about it, some people seem to be frustrated with the 8GB of storage. I'm not sure why I'd need the extra power of an Nvidia Shield (£130-175?) as I don't care about gaming and have no plans to get a 4K TV anytime soon (1080p looks fine to me). I also should be fine with WiFi so don't need the ethernet support of the Nvidia Shield.

I'd love some feedback on my thought process before I buy.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Looking for some advice. I run Plex server on my QNAP and am able to transcode one stream at a time before hitting cpu bottlenecks, or alternately can direct stream a few at a time. I have sufficient internet bandwidth to stream multiple (2, maybe more) direct play 1080p streams but am having trouble configuring my plex server/clients to do this in both on-LAN and remote scenarios. Obviously direct play is my preference as CPU usage is my main constraint.

As far as I can tell (non-plex pass user) there is only one settings inside the Plex server under Plex Web > Quality to set internet stream quality, and this is set to maximum. I have also configured my clients (android devices) to stream maximum quality when remote. I have two android clients which I have used to test on-LAN and remote streaming, and this is what happens when I stream a test 1080p content:

1) When on-LAN the devices direct stream with no transcoding as soon as the content is played. Plex accurately negotiates the correct format and Just Works.

2) When remote (4G with sufficient bandwidth) the stream will start at 1080p but with the 'wrong' codecs/formats, which forces transcoding on the server. If I manually change the quality settings in the client to a lower setting (720p), then change them back to 'Original' quality, the stream will continue using direct play and the correct codecs are selected the same as if on-LAN.

Can someone explain or help me with where to look for settings related to this, or ways to debug what's going on? I have few enough users and sufficient bandwidth that I would like Plex to only transcode for codec incompatibility and not bandwidth issues, but don't see a way to do this.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

cruft posted:

It just dawned on me that for the same price as our Netflix Basic plan, we can go back to their DVD/Blu-ray plan, and get Star Trek, Disney stuff, Netflix stuff, HBO stuff, Amazon stuff, and oddball stuff that got eaten up by dinky things like Peacock. That would cost over five times as much to stream.

Way to go, everybody, you ruined streaming.

never cancelled :smug:

their streaming, on the other hand... Here's hoping they don't axe their Blu-ray plans after a couple more seasons :v:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

I've got a third generation Chromecast plugged into my TV. I use it to cast from my phone to play. I've recently using a Plex server where nearly everything is encoded in 1080p h265. It plays just fine on my phone, but the Chromecast struggles badly so I need to get a replacement device.

Chromecast with Google TV for £60 seems the natural replacement (probably with f-launcher & SmartTube that I learnt about earlier in this page) given what I cast is pretty much just Plex/YouTube/Netflix. Reading about it, some people seem to be frustrated with the 8GB of storage. I'm not sure why I'd need the extra power of an Nvidia Shield (£130-175?) as I don't care about gaming and have no plans to get a 4K TV anytime soon (1080p looks fine to me). I also should be fine with WiFi so don't need the ethernet support of the Nvidia Shield.

You need a calculator, but people on the internet are suggesting an accounting firm. I have a Mibox S with the same 8gb and lower specs that ccgtv and it runs everything fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

I have a Chromecast with Google TV. Here are the apps I have installed:

• F-Launcher
  • Plex
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Google Play Movies & TV
  • MST3k
  • Local Now
  • PBS
  • YouTube
  • Google Play Games
  • Google Play Store
  • Pac-Man 256
  • Zen Pinball with 2 tables
  • Stadia

It says I am using 4.4GB, so I'm just over half full, including the operating system and 331MB of cached data.

Coming from an earlier Chromecast, the new one is really nice. The remote lets us just have one remote for everything, it still works just like the old Chromecast, and the inclusion of Stadia is awesome. It allowed me to give the Fire Stick 4k to my dad.

Hope this helps!

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 14, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FCKGW posted:

Same but it has some weirdness with Plex/PsuedoTV so I disabled hardware decoding. I have 12 core Xeon and 4k sequestered in its own library so it’s not that big of a deal.

Thing rips through Tdarr though.

I’ve got it shoehorned into an HPE Gen10+ with a 2246 xeon, it’s crazy power efficient for what it’s capable off, running full tilt it barely pulls 160-170w

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sad Panda posted:

Redvenom posted:

1) When on-LAN the devices direct stream with no transcoding as soon as the content is played. Plex accurately negotiates the correct format and Just Works.

2) When remote (4G with sufficient bandwidth) the stream will start at 1080p but with the 'wrong' codecs/formats, which forces transcoding on the server. If I manually change the quality settings in the client to a lower setting (720p), then change them back to 'Original' quality, the stream will continue using direct play and the correct codecs are selected the same as if on-LAN.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Plex has always had issues with non-wired connections and high frame rate. @Redvenom what client is connecting to 4G?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
I can replicate the issue with two devices, a new(ish) Samsung galaxy tablet (Android 12) and my older nokia mobile phone (Android 9). I am hoping to try some other family devices soon but that's trickier as they aren't on premises with me.

When they are on WiFi they stream just fine (no transcode required), indicating to me this is not a client-codec issue. It's only when they are considered an internet client that Plex loses its poo poo and initially negotiates what I consider to be an incorrect and unnecessary need to transcode. It also doesn't seem to be an issue with either the mobile devices or my internet speed as once direct play is started there aren't any frame rate drops or issues with the connection.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I'm using mkvtoolnix to add custom commentary tracks to some movies. My commentaries come with the movies backing audio included so it saves me a step in Audacity but I'm noticing that the sync doesn't seem right when played in Plex.

When played directly on my PC using VLC (either over the network or with the movie on a local drive) it looks perfect or at least close enough. It's just a matter of syncing dialogue to the actors mouths, so not critical, but I was curious if anyone else had done this and had any experience or encountered similar stuff?

I'm adding a secondary audio track, not replacing the primary track. I select the commentary audio track in Plex/VLC and then let the movie play. Looks fine in VLC, a bit off in Plex.

Edit: Just needed to add some more time to the Delay value on the new audio track in mkvtoolnix. Still looks fine in VLC and much better in Plex.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 15, 2022

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MikusR posted:

You need a calculator, but people on the internet are suggesting an accounting firm. I have a Mibox S with the same 8gb and lower specs that ccgtv and it runs everything fine.

Thanks for the comment. I ordered one and got it today. The launcher is way busier than it needs to be and full of advertising garbage (flauncher installed, just need to make it default) but it plays things so beautifully.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does anyone else have issues using SRT subtitles? With burn set to 'automatic' they don't appear but if I change to 'always' the video doesn't play at all - just a loading spinner for ages. I played the same video with subtitle track in Kodi to test and it will worked perfectly.

fake edit: is there a good list of movies with non-english parts anywhere? It's annoying to get an hour into a movie to find out there are no subtitles and when you do get some they don't even show in Plex.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone else have issues using SRT subtitles? With burn set to 'automatic' they don't appear but if I change to 'always' the video doesn't play at all - just a loading spinner for ages. I played the same video with subtitle track in Kodi to test and it will worked perfectly.

fake edit: is there a good list of movies with non-english parts anywhere? It's annoying to get an hour into a movie to find out there are no subtitles and when you do get some they don't even show in Plex.

What client are you using? I recall reading that some clients are picky about srt files? And if they don’t terminate with a newline or something they won’t read?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

What client are you using? I recall reading that some clients are picky about srt files? And if they don’t terminate with a newline or something they won’t read?

Android app - TV and on my tablet have the same issue

edit: interesting - just tried the Windows client and got this

plays fine if I turn subtitles off

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 18, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Android app - TV and on my tablet have the same issue

Working here. Does it work with the PC client/web player with direct play? Do you have the SRT file loose in a form that can be uploaded somewhere to be looked at?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

univbee posted:

Working here. Does it work with the PC client/web player with direct play? Do you have the SRT file loose in a form that can be uploaded somewhere to be looked at?

I have just tried in the PC client:

- subtitles ON: Error transcoder failed to start up
- subtitles OFF: Video plays fine

Subtitle file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/co3ufue7dyi32g1/Uncharted_2022.srt/file

edit - it might be that file - I just downloaded another subtitle from the client (wish you could add subscene or specify FPO) and it works

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 18, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cursory glance seems the SRT file itself is fine. What's your server OS? This feels like your server's install is weirdly messed up in a way that makes subtitles not work right.

EDIT maybe there are too many dashes in the arrow? It might be worth grabbing software like Subtitle Edit to sanitize any files that are behaving weirdly.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Cleaned it with https://subtitletools.com/srt-cleaner and it works fine now :shrug:

from what I can tell it changed 2 blank lines at the end of the file into 1 blank line

edit: works fine on Android/TV now

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 18, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Guys why is my Plex logo now in goddam Comic Sans

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Wait that’s not how this joke goes is it

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Medullah posted:

My money is on them trying to change up their image and bit and make it more attractive to VC so they can invest in more streaming service stuff. However if the the current tech bubble bursts (and its getting there), I bet Plex will be sold to PlutoTV or Roku.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Now that summer's here I'm reminded of the annual "I should split up my Plex server from my main PC so I don't have to leave it running 24x7 to superheat my office on the second floor" thought I have.

You guys have any recommendations for something that will do -

- Light Plex streaming (rarely over the web, generally to my Roku TV
- Qbittorrent
- Has room for 2-3 internal drives but also two USB drives (though streaming is from the internal, the externals are for backup).
- Local network file server

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would need a PC with a graphics card for this, right?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would need a PC with a graphics card for this, right?

Not a requirement at all. You'd only want a decent GPU for hardware accelerated transcoding, but you'd be better off with an Intel CPU with quicksync instead, it'll save you space and energy and money. My Plex server has an i5 from 2017 and it transcodes 4K video like you wouldn't believe, while running a torrent client and related stuff. I used a HTPC case with space for 4 SATA drives and a low-profile TV tuner card.

edit: for your reference, here's my build minus the SATA drives. Idles at 30W, maxes out at 75ish W when all cores are pegged (rare).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600T 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Silverstone ML06B-E HTPC Case ($127.16 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($150.29 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $334.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-20 15:27 EDT-0400

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Now that summer's here I'm reminded of the annual "I should split up my Plex server from my main PC so I don't have to leave it running 24x7 to superheat my office on the second floor" thought I have.

You guys have any recommendations for something that will do -

- Light Plex streaming (rarely over the web, generally to my Roku TV
- Qbittorrent
- Has room for 2-3 internal drives but also two USB drives (though streaming is from the internal, the externals are for backup).
- Local network file server

As long as you don't use high performance power setting your pc will downclock and run cooler when idling.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Medullah posted:

I'd just get a NAS like a DS218play. They're good if you want something relatively simple that doesn't consume much power.

Inept fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 20, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Inept posted:

I'd just get a NAS like a DS218play. They're good if you want something relatively simple that doesn't consume much power.

Was just looking at that but it says on the product page

- DS218play does not support PLEX

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Medullah posted:

Was just looking at that but it says on the product page

- DS218play does not support PLEX

Yeah I guess you need a DS220+. You'd also need Plexpass if you didn't already have it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone know why plex would only stream original quality when I connect to my VPN? It completely removes the option to even set a lower quality it's super annoying.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It treats any client that is in the subnet the server is in as local, which is a safe assumption mostly, your VPN may appear to have a different IP to your home network but if it's using NAT to get back into the home network then to plex it's coming from a local subnet. No advice on fixing this since we'd need to know much more about your VPN solution.

You can specify what subnets it treats as local, so you could reduce the scope to exclude your VPN address or the routers NAT address but make sure it covers your dhcp range at least.

Aware fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 21, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aware posted:

It treats any client that is in the subnet the server is in as local, which is a safe assumption mostly, your VPN may appear to have a different IP to your home network but if it's using NAT to get back into the home network then to plex it's coming from a local subnet. No advice on fixing this since we'd need to know much more about your VPN solution.

You can specify what subnets it treats as local, so you could reduce the scope to exclude your VPN address or the routers NAT address but make sure it covers your dhcp range at least.

I’ve got Plex on it’s own VLAN subnet, VPN has its own subnet as well, and I have the local subnet specified for the main LAN VLAN. So Plex should be treating everything that’s not the LAN VLAN subnet as remote traffic, but for some reason it’s treating the VPN as local.

It’s an opnsense firewall with openvpn server if that helps at all.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 22, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Do you have NAT enabled for traffic between the VLANs? That would make the client appear to be coming from the local subnet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aware posted:

Do you have NAT enabled for traffic between the VLANs? That would make the client appear to be coming from the local subnet.

Nope

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Well I'm out of ideas sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The confusing part is it works as expected when it's not connected to the VPN, but as far as the VLAN that the Plex container is on is concerned, the traffic should look the same.

e: Looks like it's something in Windows causing this, both in the app and the webplayer, it's functioning as expected on iOS.

ee: That was the piece I was missing, it was having "Use Recommended Settings" enabled under home streaming in quality settings that was causing it, it wasn't server side. I assume the player saw the 10.x.x.x VPN address and assumed it was on a local network.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 22, 2022