Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tenacious J posted:

I'm looking for a sanity check about a first time home purchase. Basically wondering if this sounds like a good purchase or if we should walk away.

Us, the buyers: We are first time buyers in Canada and might be overly cautious or have cold-feet. We have a combined yearly income of 202K, and about 30k of low-interest debt.
The house: Priced above the comparables by 10-20%. Listed at 525k, but we offered 529k and said we won't back out due to the condition of the roof, which looked like it had 2-4 years left. It's very well maintained with high-end professional renovations, hence the increased price. In a family-focused decent neighbourhood. 1500sqft.
House problems: No permit for the developed basement, but the inspector didn't see any apparent concerns. Roof actually needs to be totally re-shingled immediately for about 10k. AC unit will die in a year or two. Two trees are within 2 feet from the side. Toilets are loose, some fixtures are loose, a skylight might be leaking.

We have a 5-year fixed rate of 2.99 if we close soon. I'm feeling like we could maybe find another house for 100k less and be happy, but we lose this interest rate one month from now so it's a little risky. We could likely find a bigger house, but not one so nice inside. This house would be quite good to live in, I think, despite feeling a little bit small and rather expensive. I'm also worried that prices are coming down and the whole market might be correcting - so buying now could potentially be awful timing.

Thanks for any input.

Do you have a monthly budget? Everything here sounds fine so long as you can afford the payments. No point in trying to time the housing market, what matters is that you like the house, can afford to live there, and have a seemingly firm understanding of any issues with it (none of what you described sounds disastrous)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Time in the market > timing the market in long-term investment, so why not the same here? :v:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Tenacious J posted:

We have a 5-year fixed rate of 2.99 if we close soon.

This is a red flag for me - are you saying this is an ARM that will adjust after the 5 year period expires? Not sure how different your mortgage financing is in Canada, but ARMs are how things went bad for a lot of people in the 2008 recession.

If rates go down, great.
If rates go up, you could be in deep poo poo.

A 2.99 is great - I locked 4.25 with 20% down last week on a jumbo loan - and rates are going up for the short term, but if they stay high it could spell trouble.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Time in the market > timing the market in long-term investment, so why not the same here? :v:

Do we have to get into the reasons why your primary residence is not a good investment (in terms of actual investing)?

May as well link it here: https://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/

Owning a home remains a lifestyle choice, not an investment. Even though people want to keep trying to treat it that way, especially whenever we have a run of home price increases and rent increases. But these things are all temporary AND tempered by downturns or nearly flat growth times that aren't beating you over the head in breathless headlines.

From an investment standpoint, a primary home is at best a forced-savings vehicle. Many people do not need this to successfully save and invest, and their investments outperform homes over the long term.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 13, 2022

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Heh, in the Denver market, I put 8 offers out in one day. Only one was accepted. If any others were accepted we'd have of course bailed due to a myriad of mechanism, although it's not like a seller is going to be short on offers anyway, so screw them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

This is a red flag for me - are you saying this is an ARM that will adjust after the 5 year period expires? Not sure how different your mortgage financing is in Canada, but ARMs are how things went bad for a lot of people in the 2008 recession.

If rates go down, great.
If rates go up, you could be in deep poo poo.

A 2.99 is great - I locked 4.25 with 20% down last week on a jumbo loan - and rates are going up for the short term, but if they stay high it could spell trouble.

My understanding is that there aren’t really 30yr fixed mortgages in Canada. The standard is an ARM.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My parents' san francisco home is now under contract. They listed it well below market to attract bids, refused to accept bids until day 12, and then received... five bids, all over asking, but the highest being actually right about where they had expected the house to most likely sell at. In other words, a fair offer, not a wild one. All-cash, zero contingency, they countered for a wee bit more, and the buyer was happy to say yes.

This is not what would have happened even 2 months ago. The house has defects, it needs a fair bit of work, but it's also an SF house facing a tree-lined boulevard in a desirable neighborhood with some nice features (high ceilings, parquet floor, bonus room, recently-remodeled bathroom, etc.)

My stepdad is sad because he had dreams of clearing +$200k above "expected" via some wild buyer or a bidding war. He and his agent toyed with the idea of holding it off the market for another month and getting it repainted, clean up some defects, etc. before listing it, but in the end they got spooked by a maybe-softening market and moved forward now. I think that was likely the right decision, because while $100k in work might have made the house look more move-in ready and induced more bids, they might also have been selling into an even softer market at the high end.

Buyers at $1.4M looking to have a huge mortgage are more heavily impacted by a 1% rise in interest rates, and flippers/investors may be a little spooked now, too. My stepdad's seeing 1% drops in listings in Colorado (that's where they're moving) in the last week, on houses that were only on the market for less than 2 weeks, so it looks like some hesitance or uncertainty there too.

I wish he could just hold off and not buy immediately but he needs to get off my couch and my sister needs to not be hosting my mom for several more months, too (she's got severe parkinsons and is a heavy burden) so I think he's headed out to start shopping by next week.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sundae posted:

My understanding is that there aren’t really 30yr fixed mortgages in Canada. The standard is an ARM.

This comes up every time someone posts from Canada.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motronic posted:

Do we have to get into the reasons why your primary residence is not a good investment (in terms of actual investing)?

May as well link it here: https://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/

Owning a home remains a lifestyle choice, not an investment. Even though people want to keep trying to treat it that way, especially whenever we have a run of home price increases and rent increases. But these things are all temporary AND tempered by downturns or nearly flat growth times that aren't beating you over the head in breathless headlines.

From an investment standpoint, a primary home is at best a forced-savings vehicle. Many people do not need this to successfully save and invest, and their investments outperform homes over the long term.

Yes, I know a house is better thought of as a purchase and lifestyle choice than an investment - I got that much from the Four Pillars.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tenacious J posted:

Canada House

Thanks for any input.

I'll go back to what ChrisGoGo said earlier - a first time home is a lifestyle choice, not an investment. If you've worked out your monthly budget and this is within your range, you like the house, then go for it?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of, what’s your opinion on oil heat/tanks? I know relatively little about it aside from separate oil providers, shopping around, and it being older tech. I only have experience chucking money at Eversource and National Grid. Do you think it’s a high-priority removal+upgrade?

they work fine but they're expensive, if yours is old it's worth looking at removing/replacing it - MA will actually pay you up to 15K to rip out your entire system and replace it with a heat pump or other efficient system - https://www.masssave.com/en/saving/residential-rebates/heat-pump - they'll also cut you a 0% interest loan to do it. MA has huge programs to upgrade houses right now, it's worth checking out but when I looked into it the consensus was those programs were not going anywhere and it was better to ride an existing system into its replacement cycle before putting in the new thing

MA has a bunch of other cool poo poo too for fixing up old houses - https://www.masssave.com/en/saving/residential-rebates:
- they'll pay $750 bucks to put in a heat pump water heater (we did this and it literally cut our power bill in half)
- the usual pay you for smart thermostats, we have a bunch of free nests
- free energy assessment where they will replace all your weather stripping, blow insulation in everywhere, seal your foundation - the PO did it before we moved in and the house is in great shape as a result
- lots of other fringe stuff like paying you to take away your old fridge if it's too old

the only thing that sucks is they used to heavily subsidize solar and cut 0% loans for that but the program is on hiatus, i am definitely jumping on it when it comes back

in general MA is absolutely riddled with tons of subsidy/incentive programs and most of them aren't even means tested, worth checkin out as you get settled in

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:thunk: Maybe I shouldn’t be discounting places with old lovely utilities after all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Short sale fell through, back to square one.

I'm not surprised and was prepared for this to happen but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
got 'em.

inspection period - '08 house so not expecting much.
$10k seller paid concessions (they up'd the price $5k for this lol)
comes with fridge/washer/dryer/etc.
our #2 choice in locations - walkable to just about everything, 2 blocks from a huge park.
2100 sqft (larger than we generally were looking) & a nice front & back yard.
checked ALL(!) of our house search needs & wants.
I haven't seen it irl only our realtor & the mrs

e: I feelin like I got pretty lucky here

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 14, 2022

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Wait so in the US you can lock in your interest rate for 20-30 years?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chillyrabbit posted:

15 or 30 year fixed rate mortgages are the norm here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saw a place today that was selling for 795k and it was pretty good but I felt it was overpriced, especially since the commute woulda been like 45 minutes.

Honestly, I think I hosed myself over by finding an apartment with a 25~30 minute commute total. Everything else is going to be intolerable by comparison.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chillyrabbit posted:

And if the rate lowers? You can refinance! Just gotta pay the new closing costs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

UK mortgages are fun since the longest fixed rate you can buy is 10 years then it becomes variable. You can refinance but that is dependent on the market not being poo poo. You could take a tracker or a capped rate which is basically variable or variable with a range. It is just very convoluted for no reason. So perfect for Britain.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Saw a place today that was selling for 795k and it was pretty good but I felt it was overpriced, especially since the commute woulda been like 45 minutes.

Honestly, I think I hosed myself over by finding an apartment with a 25~30 minute commute total. Everything else is going to be intolerable by comparison.

45 minutes is a completely reasonable commute in Boston

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

If it's like DC, the difference between a 30 minute commute and a 45 minute commute is like 1 mile.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Boston commute is extra spicy as will the elevated road or bridge I am stuck in for an hour due to traffic finally collapse from lack of maintenance today?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
4.875... I feel like I'm in lotto winning lucky levels here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I forgot how much extra costs come with house buying. Attorney fees, radon/termite/hvac/general inspections, survey (which we need to do for the abnormally shaped property line), closing costs. And on top of that we need a washer/dryer/fridge

Ugh.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Anza Borrego posted:

Apologies in advance for :words:

TLDR
Do never buy

Appraisal came back $25k over sale price, hurdle cleared! We waived appraisal as part of our negotiations and having a gap would have pushed us uncomfortably low on our emergency fund/cash in hand, so this was an important milestone to clear.

I’m a landscape architect with a bunch of architect friends and one recommended an extremely good, very affordable GC that does a lot of their high-end home work. Got some quotes from him and used that to request $11k of closing cost concessions from the seller - the bids we got are much lower than market costs and my awesome realtor wrote a great letter with the request for repairs, so fingers crossed.

I’d be stoked to just get a few $K out of the process that would help offset some of the costs we are going to take on before we move in. Already dreaming with the wife about the next 10 years of improvements to the home - I’ve been waiting so long to get our own place and flex some design skills.

Of course, some idiot on the finance or escrow side is probably waiting in the wings to just wreck my poo poo :allears:

There’s a changing cast of characters at our lender as mortgage layoffs proceed but things seem to be rolling forward with underwriting, maybe if I’m lucky everyone will be motivated to close before the scheduled Memorial Day weekend date….

LOL of course they won’t but I can dream

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Johnny Truant posted:

45 minutes is a completely reasonable commute in Boston

it FUKKEN shouldn’t be

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Found a cool basement.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

it FUKKEN shouldn’t be

My commute from Southern NH to Boston was 45 minutes… at 4am to beat traffic.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pollyanna posted:

Found a cool basement.

lmao, is that just a huge chunk of granite they decided they didn't want to clear and just built around it instead? :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, the place is nice otherwise. I assume there’s some reason they couldn’t do any further work, possibly the same thing that prevents the basement from having a sane entrance. An inspector and engineer would have to take a look.

Not gonna lie, I’d still genuinely consider the house if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s built on a steep hill and the backyard looks hard to maintain. Plus the difficult garage/parking situation and the hill thing. At least I’d get some exercise.

I’d have to figure out what could be done about the basement to make it sane, if anything.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Pollyanna posted:

I’d have to figure out what could be done about the basement to make it sane, if anything.

That boulder is not coming out of that house hth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you're gonna have to cut it out piece by piece. if a motivated kidnapper can build a dungeon you can remove a rock

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no that bitch ain’t coming out whole. I’d have to pay someone to jackhammer it. No idea how much that would cost, but the noise would piss off the neighbors for sure.

I also don’t know how much it would cost to fix the questionable basement entry. Imagine having a beer or two and tripping down this:

I went all :stare: when I opened the door and saw this.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pollyanna posted:

Oh no that bitch ain’t coming out whole. I’d have to pay someone to jackhammer it. No idea how much that would cost, but the noise would piss off the neighbors for sure.

I also don’t know how much it would cost to fix the questionable basement entry. Imagine having a beer or two and tripping down this:

I went all :stare: when I opened the door and saw this.

I believe that is what is referred to in the 'biz as "character" :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The fix to bring to code those stair would be losing 10 square feet of floor on the main floor that is why they opted for death stairs. Get protected

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pollyanna posted:

Found a cool basement.

Hey, sometimes you pay a lot more money to have rocks intruding into your house like that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

What is it with New England and stairs with no rail? My old place was like that and just screams death trap.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

BigPaddy posted:

What is it with New England and stairs with no rail? My old place was like that and just screams death trap.

It was like that in so many of the houses that we looked at in Seattle, too. It got to the point where we would exclaim somewhat sarcastically, "ooh a graspable rail!" when we saw one.

I'm guessing it's because the stairs may have been installed as an afterthought and there's not much width for a proper rail?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My god: my zestimate went up this week...and then went down.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

My god: my zestimate went up this week...and then went down.

:ohdear:

Investors giveth and Investors taketh away.