Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They're all moving out of Seattle, my coworkers who live in places like Renton and Tukwila say their rents are skyrocketing. Lol

a 2 bedroom rental with a office in north bend is now like 4,000 a month.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

i say swears online posted:

is that kind of leveraged purchase very common?

It’s common in Seattle. Most of the faang types get paid like 100-150k a year in cash, but for the real money people the difference is made up in free stock. The cash salary isnt enough to buy a house but you can report stock vests as income so you get mortgages upwards of $1M backed by future stock earnings.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s common in Seattle. Most of the faang types get paid like 100-150k a year in cash, but for the real money people the difference is made up in free stock. The cash salary isnt enough to buy a house but you can report stock vests as income so you get mortgages upwards of $1M backed by future stock earnings.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this. All the random low to mid level FAANG employees buying houses makes sense now. lmfao

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

TheSlutPit posted:

jesus christ lol. i also had a friend buy in white center, you’re telling me her place is probably staked on the tech world not crashing???

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

lol I genuinely hope all the techlords who bought houses on RSUs-as-income get burned. Except for my one friend who lucked into a non-technical amazon job, bought a house in white center last year, and just had a kid :/

The people who cashed out RSU's won't get burned since they already got their wealth and any additional value the house they bought has beyond a living space is just a bonus. Also what do you envision it means for "high-earners" getting burned and if they are getting burned how are you not being hunted for food at the same time?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

This is true. But if you are getting a mortage that your salary can't pay, you are just an idiot. 150k/yr salary can absolutely afford a 4k/mo 30yr mortage (~800k). The RSU's just lets you afford the down payment.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are a lot of idiots making 150k and are paycheck to paycheck

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But if you are getting a mortage that your salary can't pay, you are just an idiot.

now to take a big sip of coffee

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm on my city property appraisal review board and the city has reiterated to us several times that there will be armed guards present during protest hearings

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My friend works at Microsoft and he was telling me that their newest hire recently bought a luxury car, and lives in a luxury apartment complex. He's been at the company more a little under a year.

These dudes all think they have unlimited money lol.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 04:23 on May 14, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

This is true. But if you are getting a mortage that your salary can't pay, you are just an idiot. 150k/yr salary can absolutely afford a 4k/mo 30yr mortage (~800k). The RSU's just lets you afford the down payment.

That’s right, but lol if you think people are buying 800k homes when their 2021 W2 says 300k.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

four of my friends got together and purchased identical white bmw's a couple years ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Driving through Bellevue/Redmond is always fun because all you see are luxury car brands and priuses.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

5'4" dorky-rear end twitch streamer in a $200,000 car is my favorite modern aesthetic

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Idk who is moving to Tacoma but I heard from my ex that place is getting insanely expensive now too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

That’s right, but lol if you think people are buying 800k homes when their 2021 W2 says 300k.

I bought a 600k home and used my ESPP for the down payment. :shobon:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The people who cashed out RSU's won't get burned since they already got their wealth and any additional value the house they bought has beyond a living space is just a bonus. Also what do you envision it means for "high-earners" getting burned and if they are getting burned how are you not being hunted for food at the same time?

Also yeah the people who already got the techie 10x will be fine. IMO the main drivers of this are the FOMO ppl who needed to get into the housing market *now* and financially overextended themselves during covid. There are a lot of these people, anecdotally, and it seems like they are getting hosed.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

everyone w/ a house....

go home

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am consistently shocked by this even though it seems to be almost as common as not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
someone give me money, for free.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheSlutPit posted:

IMO the main drivers of this are the FOMO ppl who needed to get into the housing market *now* and financially overextended themselves during covid. There are a lot of these people, anecdotally, and it seems like they are getting hosed.

I was trying to be this person, didn’t happen.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Idk who is moving to Tacoma but I heard from my ex that place is getting insanely expensive now too.

even Bremerton is getting dumb to the mxpx joke song came true

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is where the tech people who want to spend 800k are going fyi

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

good I would like them to stop coming out here

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

my spouse and I have been trying to save up forever for a down payment on an apartment or townhome, neither one of us were blessed with a family to help with a down payment

our rent payments are way more than a mortgage would be, but banks won’t give us a loan because we don’t have enough for a proper down payment

death to all landlords, steal smoked fish

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Cassette Moodcore posted:

my spouse and I have been trying to save up forever for a down payment on an apartment or townhome, neither one of us were blessed with a family to help with a down payment

our rent payments are way more than a mortgage would be, but banks won’t give us a loan because we don’t have enough for a proper down payment

Different home loans have different down payment requirements. I think it's federally regulated.

Many states offer down payment assistance for first time home buyers. Does your area have any of these sorts of programs?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
drat is seattle actually dying? That would be sick (for my ability to buy house).

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Tech workers ruin everything

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cassette Moodcore posted:

a proper down payment can be as little as 3%…but now there’s interest rates and a loving appraisal gap that could cost you forty extra grand

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what job did it get you? pleasure share your journey. I am interested and looking for hope.

A job as a full stack developer building a cloud service app. I did Harvard's CS50, then the CS50 web programming course, then did a huge personal project that I could talk about in interviews. It was related to something I am interested in so it was really easy to both work on and talk about. And networking is really important too, I got my interview secured by chatting with another dad I met at a children's Halloween party who works for the company I work at now.

About 1/3 of the people on my team did not study computer science and started out in another industry like me (and you potentially).

Here's one potential path:

First step, I can't recommend Harvard's CS50 enough. Really work your rear end off on the homework assignments and you will get a lot out of it.

Second step, do the Full Stack Open course. Google it. It's great and the tech stack they teach is all insanely in demand stuff.

If you do both of those courses and give them your best effort you will know everything you need to know to be able to work as a junior developer, no joke.

While doing steps one and two, learn the basics of Linux system administration (basically to start with just make sure you are doing the courses using Linux) and network like crazy. Maybe try going to spaces where there's something you enjoy and tech people are likely there. Maker spaces, hackathons, coding workshops, etc... Talk to people openly about what you're doing and why, don't be shy about it.

Third, build poo poo you can talk about in interviews. If you can code some stuff that makes your job easier then that's a slam dunk, if you can't that's okay just do some personal projects. Do a good job and put them on GitHub.

Download a copy of How to Crack the Coding Interview and work through all the problems in a language of your choice, my recommendation would be Python or JavaScript.

Now start looking for a job.

As you are looking for a job, don't stop coding. Start contributing to some open source projects. You probably already use a piece of open source software that you like. If not, find one. It could be anything, maybe something to do with one of your hobbies would be good. Or maybe something you are passionate about, some citizen science thing or something. Go to their GitHub page and check out the issues. Fork their repository, pick an issue and just start trying to work on it. Make enough contributions and you will essentially already be a real software developer, just an unpaid one.

Hope that helps give you some hope. PS I am in my early 30s, don't worry about your age!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do t think it’s impulsive spending f to go from toilet does not work to toilet works

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
please for the love of god don't become a software developer

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

White people are all essentially tech workers in North America.

Related behold one of the few relatively ethical housing developments on this blighted continent:
https://twitter.com/jacremes/status/1479154684430532621
Hope this recent downturn doesn't derail this project at the very least.

Thinking more about it doubt Vancouver is going to remain a destination for exported Chinese wealth, which will have big implications for the housing market. Who is going to move from mainland China to the West at this point, unless they really have to.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ugh my wife and I are middling state employees and we've always been able to live comfortably and debt free while able to save up a 20% deposit for this house (it helps to be childless shut-ins with cheap hobbies) but gently caress me I have never felt poorer in my life than during this process. A nice reality check that we're firmly in the lower part of the middle class.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"lower" and "upper" middle class are fake ideas fyi

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

there are only two classes, comrade

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I can only afford housing if I have a life partner because then we can split costs lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i think i took more than 2 classes in school idiot

I can only afford housing if I have a life partner because then we can split costs lol

yea the Economy is based on 2+ income households plus Side Hustles

this is by design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the stars on the chinese flag each represent a class