Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I heard the third season of this was really good and, having not been exposed at all, decided to start from the first season and just now finished. I legit have not laughed as hard or as often at any piece of media in a long time. Fujiwara's romance advice being that a girl should bond with her boyfriend over the oppression of society and the divide of the rich and poor. Shirogane trying to get romantic advice from Ishigami and just getting a full blown incel MRA rant in response. The group managing to make it to a neighboring fireworks festival in time because they managed to catch the taxi of J SUZUKI, ONE OF THE FOUR KINGS OF THE TOKYO RAMEN WORLD whose presence was somehow actually foreshadowed. And yet despite being completely over the top it also does a fantastic job of grounding it all in a group of teenagers who are - as they should be - universally horny dipshits who overthink everything and as a result can't be honest with their feelings.

Planning on binging the second season this weekend, but so far this is a banger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For too long has the romcom been shackled to Gen Z's rose-colored memories of high school, and later writers' memories of the romcoms they grew up with. It's past due for something for us extremely online aging millennials.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 13, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sydin posted:

So I heard the third season of this was really good and, having not been exposed at all, decided to start from the first season and just now finished. I legit have not laughed as hard or as often at any piece of media in a long time. Fujiwara's romance advice being that a girl should bond with her boyfriend over the oppression of society and the divide of the rich and poor. Shirogane trying to get romantic advice from Ishigami and just getting a full blown incel MRA rant in response. The group managing to make it to a neighboring fireworks festival in time because they managed to catch the taxi of J SUZUKI, ONE OF THE FOUR KINGS OF THE TOKYO RAMEN WORLD whose presence was somehow actually foreshadowed. And yet despite being completely over the top it also does a fantastic job of grounding it all in a group of teenagers who are - as they should be - universally horny dipshits who overthink everything and as a result can't be honest with their feelings.

Planning on binging the second season this weekend, but so far this is a banger.

I think a lot of that is to do with just how good the author is at keeping his plot plates spinning.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sydin posted:

welcome to the fold, it only gets better from here

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The ramen kings are maybe the funniest set of supporting characters I’ve seen in an anime or manga lately

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Clarste posted:

For too long has the romcom been shackled to Gen Z's rose-colored memories of high school, and later writers' memories of the romcoms they grew up with. It's past due for something for us extremely online aging millennials.

That's why Kaguya kept her ancient flip-phone for so long, Millenial fanservice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Clarste posted:

:hmmyes:

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think a lot of that is to do with just how good the author is at keeping his plot plates spinning.

Yeah after the first episode I was expecting the whole thing to be an episodic gag show that always returns to the status quo next time, but no the characters and their relationships meaningfully grow and change episode to episode even if they still ultimately struggle with the same hangups. Also what you would normally expect to be one-off gags instead keep coming up and fall in as actual pieces of the setting, like the ramen kings or the couple that keeps coming back to Shirogane and Kaguya for advice. Like it ain't Shakespeare but it's such a breath of fresh air compared to what I've come to expect from the genre.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Sydin posted:

the characters and their relationships meaningfully grow and change episode to episode

Speaking of in the latest episode seeing Fujiwara put into stark focus how her opinion of Shirogane has plummeted from helping him so much was really sad, especially considering how happy they seemed rapping together last episode.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Shyrka posted:

Speaking of in the latest episode seeing Fujiwara put into stark focus how her opinion of Shirogane has plummeted from helping him so much was really sad, especially considering how happy they seemed rapping together last episode.

Well the thing to keep in mind with Fujiwara is, is she's a bad person.

This episode had Mr. Shirogane AND Karen and Erika so it was basically the peak of the series so far. 11/10

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Takehito Koyasu being Papa Shirogane is the funniest part of this whole show

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hayasaka's mom being as twisted as her daughter is hilarious.

MikeSevigny posted:

Well the thing to keep in mind with Fujiwara is, is she's a bad person.

This episode had Mr. Shirogane AND Karen and Erika so it was basically the peak of the series so far. 11/10

Seconded. Although I think it's less Fujiwara is a "bad" person (although she definitely leans that way) but more she definitely seems to lack a filter. It's more that she is someone who kinda has internalized a world view where she knows she'll never face any consequence for her actions.

e: Which is why its more than a little cathartic whenever she face plants and does face comeuppance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Fujiwara is completely honest and trustworthy emotionally, but completely and shamelessly dishonest procedurally. She'll explain exactly why she wants something and won't conceal her feelings from anyone, but she'll pull any dirty trick in the book to get what she wants and she doesn't even really seem to understand that other people do in fact have ethics.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Fujiwara is completely honest and trustworthy emotionally, but completely and shamelessly dishonest procedurally. She'll explain exactly why she wants something and won't conceal her feelings from anyone, but she'll pull any dirty trick in the book to get what she wants and she doesn't even really seem to understand that other people do in fact have ethics.

In other words, she's a politician.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fujiwara is the daughter of the Prime Minister

So it makes perfect sense for her to be horrible with a friendly face

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Super Jay Mann posted:

In other words, she's a politician.

She was definitely raised by someone who gave her the clear understanding that rules are just a social fiction.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

Yeah after the first episode I was expecting the whole thing to be an episodic gag show that always returns to the status quo next time, but no the characters and their relationships meaningfully grow and change episode to episode even if they still ultimately struggle with the same hangups.

That's the secret: it's a gag show and a series where the characters grow as people.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sydin posted:

Yeah after the first episode I was expecting the whole thing to be an episodic gag show that always returns to the status quo next time, but no the characters and their relationships meaningfully grow and change episode to episode even if they still ultimately struggle with the same hangups. Also what you would normally expect to be one-off gags instead keep coming up and fall in as actual pieces of the setting, like the ramen kings or the couple that keeps coming back to Shirogane and Kaguya for advice. Like it ain't Shakespeare but it's such a breath of fresh air compared to what I've come to expect from the genre.

I remember initially reading the manga and getting the completely wrong impression of the direction/tone/plot of the show and I'm glad the anime actually set me straight. :)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I remember initially reading the manga and getting the completely wrong impression of the direction/tone/plot of the show and I'm glad the anime actually set me straight. :)

Hm? Please elaborate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

M_Gargantua posted:

lmao

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought he was only an MP.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Her grandfather was Prime Minister, I thought

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought he was only an MP.

Her great grandfather was Prime Minister, yeah. Her father's just a politician.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dub (ep4 of the dub just came out) continues to be great. It's one thing for Ian Sinclair to be wacky no-lipflap narator man but he and Austin Tindle as Yuu are hiting the notes when it counts (segment 2).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 14, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the sarcastic troll energy Sinclair brings to the narrator.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Hm? Please elaborate.

Not sure how best to explain it since it's just about what my very subjective first impression was, but the very first chapter didn't sell me very well and my take away was something like "So this is going to be like death note but between two stuck up rich kids? Eeeeeh." As I didn't have any additional context from just that one chapter and I had other things at the time to read.

I gave it another chance with the anime as everyone was pretty hyped about it and since the anime could cover more ground in its initial episode I was able to get a much better handle as to what kind of show it was.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Her great grandfather was Prime Minister, yeah. Her father's just a politician.

The Fujiwara's are a super notable political clan going back at around nearly 1500 years. Though in actual history no one from the family currently have Fujiwara as their family name despite the clan still being partially active.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The dub voice for Maki hits the right notes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Fujiwara's are a super notable political clan going back at around nearly 1500 years. Though in actual history no one from the family currently have Fujiwara as their family name despite the clan still being partially active.

Everyone in the student council is named after one of Princess Kaguya's suitors from the folk tale, so yeah, literally the ancient Fujiwara clan. Incidentally this also why she gave an "impossible request" for Ishigami to win Tsubame's heart recently.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's the secret: it's a gag show and a series where the characters grow as people.

Mother's Basement just put out a video arguing that Gag Mangas have produced the greatest animes of all time

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's been awhile so I completely forgot that Hayasaka is a total mommy's girl, that was a fun thing to see when it came up and I liked the performance and animation of it, and how it was so different from Hayasaka's usual self.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao a week ago I was all "oh hey people are saying really good things about Kaguya S3 and a light episodic romcom sound pretty good for where I'm at right now, let's give it a whirl" and now here I am tearing up while grinning like an idiot at Ishigami finally overcoming the emotional trauma of his backstory by telling Otomo to get hosed so he can run his goddamn relay race.

Show is good. It is not at all what I expected it to be going in and it's 1000 times better for it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sydin posted:

lmao a week ago I was all "oh hey people are saying really good things about Kaguya S3 and a light episodic romcom sound pretty good for where I'm at right now, let's give it a whirl" and now here I am tearing up while grinning like an idiot at Ishigami finally overcoming the emotional trauma of his backstory by telling Otomo to get hosed so he can run his goddamn relay race.

Show is good. It is not at all what I expected it to be going in and it's 1000 times better for it.

Yeah the author manages tone and timing extremely well, this current arc is the best example of that

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This episode has some amazing loving moments. More than the rap episode, IMO.

The random music transition into Shirogane's dad popping up. (And that the few frames of the singer before the transition makes him look like loving Okabe Rintarou for some reason. :psyduck: ) The flash slideshow of all the careers ends on a fisherman which is 180 degrees from what you would expect coming out of a prestigious academy. Hayasaka's mom being absolutely twisted and immediately hitting it off with Shirogane's dad. Fujiwara's loading sign. Learning that "yarichin" is slang for "man-whore." :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat what a great episode. Genuinely upset by that second story lol

e: especially with the first story upping the stakes as it did

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 15, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, it reafirming Yuu and Myuiki's friendship like with the aquarium trip takes a lot of the sting out.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly, it reafirming Yuu and Myuiki's friendship like with the aquarium trip takes a lot of the sting out.

Yeah, I really like how they take just a couple seconds to show it wasn't actually that bad and those two have fun together on their own.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This show is actually going to be the death of me.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I watched this entire thing in about a week and it's very good.

I still don't quite get why Hayasaka has to pretend she doesn't know Kaguya though, especially as sometimes they just hang out in school so people must know they're friends.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's something that gets its own arc much later in the manga, beyond what s3 will encompass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sydin posted:

This show is actually going to be the death of me.

It's such a relatable thing to. Trying to rec discord to people who don't use it is super hard.