Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

No smart watch will ever beat the Pebble Time. The display was beyond gorgeous on a clear day and the watch face ecosystem was wild. I had a Zelda watch face that was just a lot of fun to look at

You would like a Garmin watch. Maybe the Vivoactive line? Very similar display to the Pebble, low end cost-wise, and tons of watch face choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have the $100 Garmin. It's great, just needs Emoji support

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

lol dude stop defending giant, awful bezels as totally fine. It's okay to recognize this as a misstep. Daddy Google isn't going to die because of a watch no one is going to buy anyway.

I've mentioned quite a few times that I'm not a fan of the overall design. The amount of drama over the bezels is still completely overblown because they aren't worse than anything other than the $400 Series 7 Apple Watch and if anyone ever thought Google was building a series 7 competitor, they are utterly and completely deluding themselves.

They are building a Galaxy Watch 4 with google's goofball design flair.

The design misstep is waterfall glass on a loving watch and proprietary bands, not bezels.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 13, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only bezel "drama" has been your posts about it tbh

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For what it's worth, I feel like bull's posts have been more about how the watch doesn't mean poo poo if they can't deliver a good software experience and usability.

Literally everyone else is like "LOLBEZELZ" on a product that we haven't even seen the final market version for because it's not due out for probably 6 months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only bezel "drama" has been your posts about it tbh

You literally called the bezels 'brutal' in two successive posts about them while saying that Google has to directly compete with the Series 7 Apple Watch, a device that starts at $399 and tops out at $799. There are honestly tons of other things to poo poo on design wise. Likely fragility due to no screen protection, impossibility of protecting against that due to the curved waterfall design, proprietary bands that will likely never get widespread 3rd party support, unprotected rotating crown that will probably be triggered 500 times a day when you bend your wrist, bottom side nearly flush buttons that are going to be near impossible to use without touching and smudging the glass on the opposite side. The thing is a usability nightmare full stop and bezels aren't even the cause of that.

If Google turns around and tries to sell this thing for $400 I'll eat crow, but I seriously doubt it. It's just another WearOS device that's going to serve as a launch vehicle for Fitbit integration and will likely be sold with a preorder discount with the Pixel 7. It's a vehicle to get Google Wallet on people's wrist and to placate all the weirdos that think you need a Samsung phone to use a Galaxy smartwatch. If the discount is nice, I'll probably end up with one when I get a Pixel 7 just to check out the fitbit stuff, Samsung's offerings will likely remain more compelling for every day use.

Also, the irony is not lost on me that we are doing this on the same page where we are talking about a device with a smaller, non-color screen. non-touch screen with a far larger case that starts at $350.

The most important thing about the Pixel Watch is the fact that google has some skin in the game when it comes to the software and the most exciting things shown off in the Wear section was not the hardware, it was the Google Home app, Health Connect, and Google Wallet. They are all going to be fantastic on the Galaxy Watch 5 Ultra I end up buying in August.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 13, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I need a new Android phone. I'm leaning towards Sony Xperia 10 III largely because of the narrowness, and it also has a good sale currently.

But a major obstacle are the security updates, it seems it will only receive them for a bit over a year from Sony and that is way too short. Based on past experience LineageOS would be a good solution, but the 10 III isn't supported yet. What are the chances it will receive support within a year? I assume not good since 10 II isn't supported either. Am I forced to choose a Pixel or Samsung model with extended support?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I check any paused timers that Google Assistant is tracking? For the last couple months, every time I set a timer the assistant calls it the second timer. I've tried asking for what timers are there, and it tells me there's the currently-running one for x minutes and a 22-minute timer. I then tell it to cancel the 22-minute one and it confirms, but it's still there next time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just bought my daughter a new Pixel 6 and I read in the OP about the proper chargers for it, is that still a thing? The google+ link is dead so I can't check it out but if so, what charger should I get for it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Believe it's support for PPS and at least 30w that you want to look for.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, but also it has become less of a big deal. There was a while there when switching to USB C where there were out of spec cables and chargers that could damage equipment, even from previously ok sources. That's mostly gone now, so the downside of choosing the wrong charger is that your device will charge slowly, not that it'll get fried. Maybe wait for one of the charger gurus to post if you really care about it, but if you get a highly ranked brand like Anker, or the official google one obviously, it should be fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, basically it breaks down like this.

Non-PD charger, tops ot at 5w
USB-C PD charger, tops out at 18w
USB-C PD charger with PPS, tops out at 21w for the Pixel 6 and 23w for the Pixel 6 Pro (unless the charger can't go that high)

The official Google USB-C 30w adapter is actually reasonably priced and well capable, it can charge Pixel devices at their max rate and will support 25w Samsung charging (~28w for the ones that support 45w charging.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 13, 2022

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

hooah posted:

How can I check any paused timers that Google Assistant is tracking? For the last couple months, every time I set a timer the assistant calls it the second timer. I've tried asking for what timers are there, and it tells me there's the currently-running one for x minutes and a 22-minute timer. I then tell it to cancel the 22-minute one and it confirms, but it's still there next time.

On your phone, go into the Clock app, Timer, and on the right side there should be a little slider that lets you change the current timer. If you only have "one", hit the trash can to delete the "first" one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Saukkis posted:

But a major obstacle are the security updates,
Unlike iPhones the important apps like browser and messaging are updated using Play Store and continue long after manufacturer has stopped firmware updates.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Saukkis posted:

I need a new Android phone. I'm leaning towards Sony Xperia 10 III largely because of the narrowness, and it also has a good sale currently.

But a major obstacle are the security updates, it seems it will only receive them for a bit over a year from Sony and that is way too short. Based on past experience LineageOS would be a good solution, but the 10 III isn't supported yet. What are the chances it will receive support within a year? I assume not good since 10 II isn't supported either. Am I forced to choose a Pixel or Samsung model with extended support?

Unlikely that Xperia will ge LineageOS support, more recent Sony's seem absent from their lineup and their market position isn't very strong.
Support is defiintely one of Sony's weakpoints.

That said, I've been on the Xperia bandwagon since getting a 5ii and now use a 1iii. The form factor which gets a lot of derision is honestly fantastic for me. Easy to hold and use in one hand. Solid build quality.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MikusR posted:

Unlike iPhones the important apps like browser and messaging are updated using Play Store and continue long after manufacturer has stopped firmware updates.

They're talking about the monthly OS security updates I presume. Won't matter that all your apps are up to date if your OS has an unpatched vulnerability.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Saukkis posted:

Sony phones don't sell much, so there's very little community support for ROMs and such.
If you go for the Xperia 10 III, your best chance for long term support might not come from Android, but from Jolla's Sailfish OS (support for the 10 III has been confirmed)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Deathlove posted:

On your phone, go into the Clock app, Timer, and on the right side there should be a little slider that lets you change the current timer. If you only have "one", hit the trash can to delete the "first" one.

Thanks, I hope this fixes it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel like the new all aluminum camera bar on the Pixel 7 was a missed opportunity to bring back the Pixel 5 unibody design and resin coating.

That would have been really cool, dual tone colorway with the bar rising uncoated from the back. No fragile back. Lighter weight. Sigh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I do really like the material and texture of the Pixel 5's back. Glass is dumb.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

I do really like the material and texture of the Pixel 5's back. Glass is dumb.

Pixel 5 best pixel, Nexus 5 best nexus

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was so focused on the 6a only having a 60hz screen that I somehow missed that it also doesn't have wireless charging. That's a hard pass at $450, Google.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The 6a will retail for 100 Euro less than the regular 6 here, kind of a tough value proposition.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

You literally called the bezels 'brutal' in two successive posts about them while saying that Google has to directly compete with the Series 7 Apple Watch, a device that starts at $399 and tops out at $799. There are honestly tons of other things to poo poo on design wise. Likely fragility due to no screen protection, impossibility of protecting against that due to the curved waterfall design, proprietary bands that will likely never get widespread 3rd party support, unprotected rotating crown that will probably be triggered 500 times a day when you bend your wrist, bottom side nearly flush buttons that are going to be near impossible to use without touching and smudging the glass on the opposite side. The thing is a usability nightmare full stop and bezels aren't even the cause of that.

If Google turns around and tries to sell this thing for $400 I'll eat crow, but I seriously doubt it. It's just another WearOS device that's going to serve as a launch vehicle for Fitbit integration and will likely be sold with a preorder discount with the Pixel 7. It's a vehicle to get Google Wallet on people's wrist and to placate all the weirdos that think you need a Samsung phone to use a Galaxy smartwatch. If the discount is nice, I'll probably end up with one when I get a Pixel 7 just to check out the fitbit stuff, Samsung's offerings will likely remain more compelling for every day use.

Also, the irony is not lost on me that we are doing this on the same page where we are talking about a device with a smaller, non-color screen. non-touch screen with a far larger case that starts at $350.

The most important thing about the Pixel Watch is the fact that google has some skin in the game when it comes to the software and the most exciting things shown off in the Wear section was not the hardware, it was the Google Home app, Health Connect, and Google Wallet. They are all going to be fantastic on the Galaxy Watch 5 Ultra I end up buying in August.

You have over 20 paragraphs in the last two pages alone defending this design decision. Take a step back and take a deep breath ya?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull's thing is posting a shitload of words about Android though

also grip tape?? was that bull??

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FlapYoJacks posted:

You have over 20 paragraphs in the last two pages alone defending this design decision. Take a step back and take a deep breath ya?

Tbh it's pretty reasonable and the amount of words keeps increasing in an attempt to communicate the same point to people who are failing to grasp it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

Saying it doesn’t matter and that it’s similar to other devices isn’t the same thing as defense. I don’t really like the design and have said that repeatedly so I’m not sure how I’m defending it.

The bad overall design emphasizes the appearance of bezels, but they aren’t any larger than most of what’s out there now, the designs just hide them better since the case has some design flourish instead of this uber minimalist crap. 1.2” display size (measured by the the leaker) is pretty standard in that size class and the overall dimensions are in the smaller end for that segment. So google is really Doctor Whoing that poo poo if the bezels are objectively large for this size class.

sleepwalkers posted:

No.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i would like a bigger bezel the screen is too distracting

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
How are you going to hold on to your watch and use it at the same time without bezels??

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sleepwalkers posted:

bull's thing is posting a shitload of words about Android though

Grip tape was Hotsauce.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hot drat, there's now a non-root way to back up and restore installed apps (that is, te actual APKs, not just a list)! Android Police has the details. I hope neither Shizuku nor Swift Backup end up being shady apps.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://9to5google.com/2022/05/13/google-pixel-watch-chip/

lol this thing is going to bomb

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean for a watch it just needs to function well and I'm not sure how much the latest and greatest chip impacts that. I mean I have a gear s2 that still runs just fine?

It just needs to be a smooth integrated experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not too surprising considering the thing has been leaked for like 2 years, the hardware was probably pretty old.

That said, the 9110 is built on a smaller process then the SD4100 and uses the same A53 cores (but two instead of 4 and clocked a bit lower.). I'm not sure if Wear can use more than 2 threads effectively. The w920 is also only dual core so I'm guessing not.

What will probably matter more is what coprocessors they pair to it for background tasks.

They should have gone with the newer w920, but as old as it is, the 9110 is probably still a better choice than the SD4100 or SD4100+. Battery life is going to be the real concern rather than performance since it will be 10nm vs 5 for the w920.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
are there any upcoming phones that aren't tall boys? i cracked my s10 screen for the fourth time in 3 years so im thinking i should be preparing to replace it. I was looking at refurbished s10e's since they're not as tall and still pack a punch but I dunno, they could suck for all i know

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

S22 and probably S23.

<end of list>

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
slim pickings uh

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The 6a is 6mm taller than the S22 if you can live with that, although the value is questionable.

(comedy folding phone option)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The folding phones are all taller. My Z Flip 3 is as tall as my Pixel 6 Pro when unfolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Recently my Pixel 5 XL has started randomly losing mobile data in places it didn't before. I also had it repaired recently but I don't know if there's a correlation. Anybody else having that problem?