Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have to say this expansion is awesome. Turning your fleet into a merc company is such a boon and the relay network makes getting around so much easier too. Those two features alone make the whole thing worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pmchem posted:

Anyone get 200 years through an Overlord playthrough yet? how'd you like it?

Steam reviews are 'mixed' but I like the concept of the expansion. Debating if/when to pick it up.

I'm enjoying it a bunch but I liked the game a lot before it too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

The right term is whatever they want to be called. First Nations is rarely it. Sometimes it’s native american. Sometimes it’s indian. Usually it’s whatever their specific tribe is.

First nations is the umbrella term in Canada because they were fully nations before colonization. Not just individuals tribal groups.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Don't worry about it, your unused points get put into the same bucket as points gotten from anomalies and such so you get them back again over the course of your new research.

Oh neat

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Overlord is overall (heh) a great DLC, but the Hyper Relays (are they from the patch or the DLC?) are one of the single best addition to a game in the last few patches. I love my space highways!

Do they flip during wars, when a station is captured? Can allies/vassals use them?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

canepazzo posted:

Overlord is overall (heh) a great DLC, but the Hyper Relays (are they from the patch or the DLC?) are one of the single best addition to a game in the last few patches. I love my space highways!

Do they flip during wars, when a station is captured? Can allies/vassals use them?

I'm pretty sure allies and vassals can both use them and you can, at the very least, build them yourself in your vassals' systems. You even get some bonuses for linking up your homeworlds using them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

God, I'm still feeling the performance crunch at small galaxy settings. I'm legit considering playing without Guilli's stuff and Planetary Diversity just to test my theory that mods are somehow making my game run that slow, but surely they can't be the real culprits? I really don't want to consider the possibility that the only reason I completed multiple games in Stellaris in the past was that I went as far as playing on fuckin' tiny galaxies only from as far as half a goddamn decade ago.

guilli's and PD should not be a big performance burden. i'm reasonably familiar with the script for both and almost all of it is static stuff that is triggered by planet generation, colonization, anomalies, archaeology, etc. very little ongoing calculation unless something has changed in the most recent updates, like one of the two mods accidentally implementing an "every greek checks every character in the world to decide whether to castrate them or not" style bug. i would look at other mods for your problems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

God, I'm still feeling the performance crunch at small galaxy settings. I'm legit considering playing without Guilli's stuff and Planetary Diversity just to test my theory that mods are somehow making my game run that slow, but surely they can't be the real culprits? I really don't want to consider the possibility that the only reason I completed multiple games in Stellaris in the past was that I went as far as playing on fuckin' tiny galaxies only from as far as half a goddamn decade ago.

What CPU and RAM do you have?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm very ambivalent about the research system because there's a lot I hate but the bucket system (Whenever you get a dump of research it goes into a bucket, and then comes out of the bucket one-to-one with actual research) is really good and cool. I wish more parts of the game used it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
How does the mercenary thing work? I haven't booted up the expansion because I fell into Crusader Kings again (hadn't played with Royal Court yet). When I fire up Stellaris again I want to try the mercenary thing out. How do you plan for it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe I've not played vanilla for so long, but are there really only 12 maximum building slots on planets? I can never provide enough jobs for everyone because I quickly run out of slots. Apparently there's just physically no room to build a single extra research lab. No space to throw up some extra tall skyscrapers filled with clerks. I like the new system of cities unlocking building slots, but shouldn't the cap be based then on the number of cities without any hard cap? A size 15 planet has the same number of building slots as a size 25.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How does the mercenary thing work? I haven't booted up the expansion because I fell into Crusader Kings again (hadn't played with Royal Court yet). When I fire up Stellaris again I want to try the mercenary thing out. How do you plan for it?

You take a fleet of ships that is 50 fleet size or bigger and click a button. This creates a neutral enclave in whatever system the fleet was in and the fleet now belongs to that enclave. Merc enclaves can rent out their fleets to whoever pays them and they can also be paid to give you ground armies, to temporarily boost your naval logistics or to build a special starbase building. As the empire who owns the system the enclave is in, you are their Patron and you can share your technology with them, gift them alloys to upgrade their fleet size or tell them to abandon whoever is currently hiring their fleet and come home. The latter costs a lot of opinion though.
Whenever the merc fleet is hired, they will periodically send their Patron spoils of war. Usually just energy credits but it can be other resources or research. They don't actually need to be fighting to do this, I've had mercs whose fleets have just been sitting on guard duty on some AI's home system still do this.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I've not played vanilla for so long, but are there really only 12 maximum building slots on planets? I can never provide enough jobs for everyone because I quickly run out of slots. Apparently there's just physically no room to build a single extra research lab. No space to throw up some extra tall skyscrapers filled with clerks. I like the new system of cities unlocking building slots, but shouldn't the cap be based then on the number of cities without any hard cap? A size 15 planet has the same number of building slots as a size 25.

I can really only employ everyone once I've unlocked upgrades. If you did, and everything is upgraded, everything you want built is built, then just think of unemployed as extra pop for your other planets (they'll migrate eventuallyj, thus making your planet "done" and now one to create new pops).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

pmchem posted:

Anyone get 200 years through an Overlord playthrough yet? how'd you like it?

Steam reviews are 'mixed' but I like the concept of the expansion. Debating if/when to pick it up.

It's good, did a multiplayer when we were all imperial fiefdoms. It was a hilarious clusterfuck when the overlord died.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Same number of building slots but more districts. You can't build any more research labs but you can build some industrial districts or farms. A size 25 world can employ 50 pops without upgrading a single building, not even including clerks or planetary capital jobs. The new(ish) automigration is great for setting and forgetting a planet. With the latest update it even changes how the unemployment icon looks; unemployed pops gives a red briefcase, unemployed pops who have another planet they can move to for a job get yellow instead.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 14, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

What CPU and RAM do you have?

Ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb of DDR4. Not top of the line but significantly better than the poo poo I used to run with back in 2017.

Googling suggests I should try reducing habitable planets by a lot. Medium galaxy with .25 habitables sounds good, I was running small with .75 and it was getting sluggish at 2300 years.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 14, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Salvager Enclaves let you snowball hard early on if you encounter one. 1.2k energy buys you 10 corvettes.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Similar specs here and Stellaris always slows to a complete crawl for me as well around 2300-2400 or so, and it's weird because no other Clausewitz engine (or more demanding) game like CKIII, EU4, Warhammer III, etc has anywhere close to that problem for me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I'll be honest, I'm still not very sure how to handle districts and the like. I took a break around the time of the update that replaced the tile system and never learned how to optimize the new stuff

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The new human portraits are kinda lame. They all look the same and that they completely replace the old human portraits instead of just being added alongside them is bizarre. Other people are mad at them for...different reasons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Thabk you for destorying white people, Paradox

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you play Humans in Stellaris in the first place then you're probably the most boring person alive. Go eat a plain cracker you cracker.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I play humans a lot and that's loving hilarious.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The astronaut parrot is the canon species.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Feeling the influence crunch a lot, even doing a small empire it really hard to have surplus influence to build roads before gateways are available. Also doesn't help that you get the orbital ring tech around the same time and they require a lot of upfront ip to build and expand. Feel like they could halve the alloy and ip cost and they still would be tough to fit relays in.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Influence is basically the only hard cap that keeps the player from just going bananas.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The imperial fiefdom start is interesting, it seems to always spawn you in a corner with your default expo planets getting sniper by the other fiefs to put you on a course to fight your overlord

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Influence is basically the only hard cap that keeps the player from just going bananas.

Is there any particular reason players shouldn't be allowed to go bananas with space trains?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Clarste posted:

Is there any particular reason players shouldn't be allowed to go bananas with space trains?

because the game has pretty much always been balanced around major empire developments being throttled by influence generation, so for the amount of effort/devtime/money it would take to go back and rework all the mechanics and end up with a less-janky end product they could make another game plus multiple DLCs?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Clarste posted:

The base game is designed around achieving your goals through smart allocation of limited resources. You can always do whatever you want with console commands - I do on occasion and it can be fun.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Wanted to be all pacifist, but these exterminators at my door sure are making it tough. Think it might be time to test the mercenary enclave.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hows the sector and planet automation work? I have automation turned on in a sector, i've given it resources, and I have it turned on for a all the planets in the sector, yet there's unemployment and nothing is being built.

e: oh well I just colonized two new planets in the sector and it did build something! Two auto-monuments :v:

How are u fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 14, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Getting that mod that makes it so the AI doesn't build habitats solved a huge amount of late game bloat for me. I love the idea of habitats but the game just can't handle that many pops and planets.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

New defense platforms are fun early game - got stuck with 3 neighbors in defensive pacts and had to use defense platforms to make one side gently caress off while I invaded the other. Fleets are still better but making GBS threads out 600 fleet power in 60 days on an outpost can be helpful early on. Over the course of a few systems I chewed up their fleet and made them gently caress off back home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh gosh I forgot how insane the vanilla pop growth mechanics were. I accepted a couple refugee pops into my empire. They don't really like any of my planets but for some reason enjoy my habitats (it never seemed right habs were fit for all species, they should need to pick a planet type to mimic) Suddenly this new pop type is the only pop growing across my entire empire, even on planets they can barely tolerate. they've got from about 1% of my population to 10% rapidly and of course will eventually be 50% because that's how demographics works!

There was a mod that fixed this so pop's demographic percentages would roughly stay the same, but it hasn't been updated :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Getting that mod that makes it so the AI doesn't build habitats solved a huge amount of late game bloat for me. I love the idea of habitats but the game just can't handle that many pops and planets.

You got a link to that mod? I'm 12 years in on this new game so I still have time to make sure poo poo doesn't pop off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

toasterwarrior posted:

You got a link to that mod? I'm 12 years in on this new game so I still have time to make sure poo poo doesn't pop off.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2781997213

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There seems to be a bug with guardians, or at least with Shard and the Dimensional Horror - they have insane regen, can't do enough damage with 20k fleets as they regen it pretty much instantly. I don't remember their regeneration being this insane?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cheers and thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Yes, my penguin traders are doing just fine! They're making a mint and draping themselves in jewels!