Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cheers, I'll give that a go next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious why you're tearing from rfc1918 space workout nat and expecting it to work? Or just checking if ISP not doing uRPF, which they do seem to be missing.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That would be pretty weird; every Cisco platform I've seen will default to sourcing from the egress interface if you don't specify what you want as source for locally originated pings.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

All of my devices have loopbacks so they use that. In this case without one probs set the 'ip source-interface' command for various things to force a sane default

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was given an unused Cisco Catalyst 2948G from work a few years ago, and it just sat in my basement. Now I have a new wifi router and my basement cameras aren’t able to connect to the 2.4 network. I was thinking of using the Catalyst to make a basement network, and move my Sinology NAS and other things down there.

But the age of the Catalyst is off putting. It went end of life about a decade ago. But it it’s a gigabit switch, so I don’t know how much I have to worry. Other than I haven’t worked with this kind of equipment before, and don’t know how much configuration I have to do with this thing.

Should I use it, or eBay it?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

If you're fine with how loud it is, how much power it takes, use it. Also see if they're even selling on eBay at all, if not -> in the bin.

And I presume you don't mean a separate basement network? Connect them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you don't need a load of managed switch features or 48 ports then buy an 8-port Netgear and enjoy the power savings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah that’s one of the things I was worried about, but didn’t think about for the switch. Everything else was low power. Thanks.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I once "acquired" an ASA 5505 I've been using as my router/firewall for ages. Makes no noise and I only occasionally have to deal with the utter poo poo that is Cisco firewall configuration. It makes no noise, isn't hot as hell, and has the appropriate number of ports. I've had switches laying around and ebayed every single one of them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay, after doing some struggling with my previous post I got a further and think I have a less stupid question:

We have a firewall, its WAN port is basically plug and play. Our old network is fine in this.

On the other side of things we have the ISP provided network termination box. Subnet is .48/30. This is the one that's set by them to be .49/30

So I have the Cisco inbetween. g0/0/0 is .50/30 and connects to the termination box. This part is fine. It routes 0.0.0.0/0 to .49

The ISP provided a routed host of .180/30, so I make g0/0/1 .181/30 and set the firewall WAN port to have an IP of .182/30

My machine plugged into the LAN of the firewall can ping to .181, but even with an ACL to "permit any" on both interfaces I cannot get traffic to go across from the .180/30 subnet to the .48/30 subnet.

Am I once again missing something obvious?

If you're wondering why I'm doing this it's because management didn't want to pay the ISP to rent a router that the ISP sets up and manages and I've been left to bang my head against metal instead. If you're wondering why not directly plug the termination into the firewall, it's because the Cisco is translating fibre to Cat 5e.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Tesseraction posted:

Okay, after doing some struggling with my previous post I got a further and think I have a less stupid question:

We have a firewall, its WAN port is basically plug and play. Our old network is fine in this.

On the other side of things we have the ISP provided network termination box. Subnet is .48/30. This is the one that's set by them to be .49/30

So I have the Cisco inbetween. g0/0/0 is .50/30 and connects to the termination box. This part is fine. It routes 0.0.0.0/0 to .49

The ISP provided a routed host of .180/30, so I make g0/0/1 .181/30 and set the firewall WAN port to have an IP of .182/30

My machine plugged into the LAN of the firewall can ping to .181, but even with an ACL to "permit any" on both interfaces I cannot get traffic to go across from the .180/30 subnet to the .48/30 subnet.

Am I once again missing something obvious?

If you're wondering why I'm doing this it's because management didn't want to pay the ISP to rent a router that the ISP sets up and manages and I've been left to bang my head against metal instead. If you're wondering why not directly plug the termination into the firewall, it's because the Cisco is translating fibre to Cat 5e.

If the issue really is .180/30 subnet can't reach .48/30 subnet then I'm pretty sure you can verify that by just doing "ping x.x.x.181 source x.x.x.50" on the cisco device to see if routing between the two interfaces is blocked for some reason. When you say ACLs, are you talking about on the router interfaces (G0/0/0 and G0/0/1)? Keep in mind it's stateless so you'll need to make sure you are allowing ingress and egress on each interface. Otherwise If your PC can ping .181 but not .50 either your firewall doesn’t know where .180 network is or your router doesnt know about your internal.

ISP > Router > Firewall isn't that uncommon but if it's just to go from fiber to copper I'd be more inclined to use a managed switch with a fiber port.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 24, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, honestly wondering if that would be the better way to go about it with the switch.

As for the ACLs yeah I originally used specific IPs for ingress/egress but after some confusion put in an explicit "deny any" at the bottom and found it was matching packets so went with permit any to see if I was just *that* poo poo at ACLs. It still comes out with no route to destination. The firewall knows that the wan port interface is also to the default route. Now I'm wondering if I need to set a static route to the default route...

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
A WTF Cisco moment:

Firepower 9300 running FTD and FMC managed will honor a static route even if the destination host is in a directly connected network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honour it as in it will put it into the route table and if the physical interface drops it will use that route instead, or it will accept the route and ignore the on-link network?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Honour it as in it will put it into the route table and if the physical interface drops it will use that route instead, or it will accept the route and ignore the on-link network?

Will ignore on-link and use the static.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Prescription Combs posted:

A WTF Cisco moment:

Firepower 9300 running FTD and FMC managed will honor a static route even if the destination host is in a directly connected network.

Is it more specific than the interface netmask?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, honestly wondering if that would be the better way to go about it with the switch.

As for the ACLs yeah I originally used specific IPs for ingress/egress but after some confusion put in an explicit "deny any" at the bottom and found it was matching packets so went with permit any to see if I was just *that* poo poo at ACLs. It still comes out with no route to destination. The firewall knows that the wan port interface is also to the default route. Now I'm wondering if I need to set a static route to the default route...

Does the router know how to get to the LAN subnet that your PC is connected to? When you do a "show ip route x.x.x.x" for your LAN network does the router come back with a path or does it come back with route not in the routing table.
edit- though I suppose you'd be running NAT on the firewall.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 25, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the firewall is doing NAT from a 10./24 network to the .180/30. I did add an explicit static route on the Cisco as a hail-Mary but to no avail. For the time being I've ordered an SFP<->RJ45 converter to see if the direct connection works.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah the firewall is doing NAT from a 10./24 network to the .180/30. I did add an explicit static route on the Cisco as a hail-Mary but to no avail. For the time being I've ordered an SFP<->RJ45 converter to see if the direct connection works.

Can you do a quick diagram of your setup in draw.io and post a screenshot of it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sure:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As a quick test, address your laptop as .182/30 and set the gateway to .181/30, plug it into the ISR

Do you get traffic both ways?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Also create a loopback interface on the router for testing to rule out issues with the WAN interface.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Just to double check as well, are your two /30s public IP ranges?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Along the same line, are you sure they're routing the the fw subnet to the isr address .50 or did they provide two /30s for redundant equipment attached to the NTE?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Aware posted:

Along the same line, are you sure they're routing the the fw subnet to the isr address .50 or did they provide two /30s for redundant equipment attached to the NTE?

If that's the case try turning on proxy arp on the router.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

falz posted:

Is it more specific than the interface netmask?

The routes were, yes. I thought directly connected always too precedence over statics due to the metric being zero?

E: I've never seen this kind of behavior on ASA's or routers/switches before in the 10+ years I've been in the field

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 25, 2022

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Directly connected do take precedence over static for the same route.

Directly connected 10.0.0.0/24 and static 10.0.0.50/32 are not the same route, so in this case, the more specific static 10.0.0.50/32 route will be installed into the routing table.

Most specific route, then administrative distance.

Filthy Lucre fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2022

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Filthy Lucre posted:

Directly connected do take precedence over static for the same route.

Directly connected 10.0.0.0/24 and static 10.0.0.50/32 are not the same route, so in this case, the static 10.0.0.50/32 route will be installed into the routing table.

Most specific route, then administrative distance.

:cripes: That makes sense. I've been on load balancers and proxies too long, need to do some basics refreshers I guess :v:

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Easy way to tell if the routing is ok in your setup;

On your ISR -
ping .182 source .50
ping .49 source .181

Your ISR has routes to both as it is directly connected.
If the ping from .50 to .182 fails, your firewall doesn't have a route back to .48/30 (or ICMP is being blocked).
If the ping from .181 to .49 fails, the NTE doesn't have a route back to .180/30 (or ICMP is being blocked).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks all for the replies, will try those out and get back to you.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Just to double check as well, are your two /30s public IP ranges?

Yeah, both are public ranges.

Aware posted:

SamDabbers posted:

If that's the case try turning on proxy arp on the router.

They claim it's for routing but I will also try this amongst the other suggestions.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

:cripes: That makes sense. I've been on load balancers and proxies too long, need to do some basics refreshers I guess :v:

In your defence Firepower is trash.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
It is quite the dumpster fire.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Anyone going to be at Live this year ?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I am. Never been to Live or Vegas.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Last time it was in vegas i did world of wonders for 2 hours then spent the entire rest of the trip in the poker room

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sepist posted:

Last time it was in vegas i did world of wonders for 2 hours then spent the entire rest of the trip in the poker room

Same.

I think that's why I didn't get chosen to go this year.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Partycat posted:

Anyone going to be at Live this year ?

Ay, I'll be there. I manage our SX10/Roomkit environment so I'm just going for funsies!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we have like 15 of those. I hate it. I chuck it to our MSP every chance I get.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

deong posted:

Ay, I'll be there. I manage our SX10/Roomkit environment so I'm just going for funsies!

Much to learn! Have some fun for sure

Partycat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So Cisco announced we can start importing catalyst switches into the Meraki dash and manage catalyst switches like Meraki switches. So my question is, why ever buy a Meraki switch?