Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ruddiger posted:

Alongside Kanopy, there’s also Hoopla that works with your library card.

There’s a bunch of streaming services for libraries, so everyone should definitely hit up their library website and see which ones they offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently Amazon is trying a new innovation with the Bosch spinoff: inserting ads in the middle of the episodes? :lol:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I hate Amazon, the interface on the PS4 sucks and is packed with ads and things to trick you into spending money. Only barely related: I searched my home video app on my PS4 for a movie, it didn't come up, but then it did come up when I searched while actually in the HBOMax app; something to keep in mind if you don't find something right away in other apps and searching your device's home screen doesn't help.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All of these companies are so bad at creating UIs to pick and watch videos I have to believe it’s intentional at this point

I was thinking about how we’ve seemed to regress when I was trying to use YouTube Music in my car and it would only show me a portion of an artist’s albums that showed in the app on my phone.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

istewart posted:

Thanks to the early posters in the thread for pointing out Kanopy; I logged in with my library card and was impressed by the selection. I'd actually never seen Chinatown, so I finally caught up with that, and I plan on watching Moonlight next as I intended to watch it after it won Best Picture but never got around to it. Any suggestions for my other two credits for the month on there?

Columbus and Tangerine are two that I recently watched and loved

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

withak posted:

Apparently Amazon is trying a new innovation with the Bosch spinoff: inserting ads in the middle of the episodes? :lol:

I think it's because it's on whatever the imdbtv channel is being called now

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
the currently most frustrating thing with both Amazon and Hulu to me is that their efforts to be some sort of aggregate service (you can pay extra for Showtime or Paramount+ or whatever) make it so that it pops up in search results as offering a show or movie for free when it's really only for free if you also have the additional under-service. Interestingly, I found that if I search for a show via the Google TV app on my phone, it bypasses this and lets me play the thing anyway, despite not being signed up.

Watched Winning Time and I can confirm it's highly entertaining and I think it's worth watching even if aspects are invented or exaggerated. I found almost all the "characters" to be interesting, and it does kind of add an extra layer of fun when you can look up the real people. Had to read about (spoilers from about ep 6)Jack McKinney as soon as he showed up on screen, so the moment he got on the bicycle I was practically yelling at the TV. I feel like if I ever needed to convince someone to wear a helmet I'd show them that. The casting overall is pretty great.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 15, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

I think it's because it's on whatever the imdbtv channel is being called now

Yeah, Freevee is free for everybody but you get hounded with ads. Maybe worth it for the time that they interrupted a scene in The Detectorists with a non-bumpered ad of a kitchen blowing up. I thought that the show had taken quite a turn for about 5 seconds before I registered that it was an ad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

it's pretty sloppy for something presented by one of the world's richest and powerful corporations. But I also have an Amazon Fire stick and that thing is a piece of trash with a terrible UI that barely functions with even their own video service. Whatta buncha maroons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s just bizarre to have a pay streaming service and also an ad supported one with different original content and no way to pay to get rid of the ads.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Enos Cabell posted:

Dogtown and Z-Boys is an amazing skate doc from 2001 about the Zephyr crew from Santa Monica. Makes a killer double feature with the Tony Hawk doc.

Dogtown and Z boys is a great documentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's also Bones Brigade doc on Youtube which is good, but about 1/3rd of it is redundant with the Tony Hawk stuff. Lot of the same footage, events etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

smackfu posted:

It’s just bizarre to have a pay streaming service and also an ad supported one with different original content and no way to pay to get rid of the ads.

I think it's because they acquired IMDBtv. It wasn't originated out of Amazon proper. So you're likely dealing with different tech and entirely separate corporate structures.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't work to improve it. But it's not like it's presented as an ad version of Prime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like Amazon because i haven't paid for Prime in like...5 or 6 years? and yet i still have it :iiam:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BonoMan posted:

I think it's because they acquired IMDBtv. It wasn't originated out of Amazon proper. So you're likely dealing with different tech and entirely separate corporate structures.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't work to improve it. But it's not like it's presented as an ad version of Prime.

Amazon has owned IMDb since 1998, IMDbTV (which originated as something called Freedive maybe four years ago before re-branding to IMDbTV and now Freevee) absolutely originated under Amazon's aegis.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Timby posted:

Amazon has owned IMDb since 1998, IMDbTV (which originated as something called Freedive maybe four years ago before re-branding to IMDbTV and now Freevee) absolutely originated under Amazon's aegis.

Yeah, they started shifting the bulk of the content that was previously on Prime over to the free service. I actually watch very little original Prime content, I would cancel it if I didn't make heavy use of Prime delivery. I've been watching a lot of Freevee lately because I felt like going through another rewatch of Mad Men.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
OLD is on HBO Max and I can't tell if the stream is hosed up or it was filmed this way but 20 minutes in and the entire thing is super washed out and dark, like I'm watching it while wearing sunglasses

Also its ridiculous but I knew that going in

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Wolfsheim posted:

OLD is on HBO Max and I can't tell if the stream is hosed up or it was filmed this way but 20 minutes in and the entire thing is super washed out and dark, like I'm watching it while wearing sunglasses

Also its ridiculous but I knew that going in

We said the same thing when it started too. We futzed with the picture settings on the TV and got it so we could see some of the characters faces. Just dogshit color grading, and a hilariously awful movie. It’s astonishing how awful it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seriously wtf is up with M Night Shamalam. I was just watching a bit of Servant and now I'm watching Old, and his dialog is so weird and stilted in all his stuff, people act so unnatural in every one of his movies. I used to think it was some awful stylistic choice that only he understood, but I don't even know. I guess he's just incompetent? It's like if a robot wrote and directed movies.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

veni veni veni posted:

Seriously wtf is up with M Night Shamalam. I was just watching a bit of Servant and now I'm watching Old, and his dialog is so weird and stilted in all his stuff, people act so unnatural in every one of his movies. I used to think it was some awful stylistic choice that only he understood, but I don't even know. I guess he's just incompetent? It's like if a robot wrote and directed movies.

yeah it's pretty whack

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I feel like his early movies weren't so stilted and amateurish but I also don't wanna go back and check and ruin my fond memories of Sixth Sense and Signs

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Signs was not good. In a surprise Shyamalon-esque twist, his best movie was Unbreakable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Signs is one of the best movies ever made. I will not only stand and die on this hill, but I will poo poo off it, which makes it slick and hard for y’all to get me up here.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is that the movie where super advanced aliens didn't know they were allergic to one of the essential components of life?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They wanted human beings not the planet.

Sometimes we want deep sea critters even though the pressure of the water can crush us

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It was only last year I learned about and watched The Happening, one of the best bad movies ever

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Signs is one of the best movies ever made. I will not only stand and die on this hill, but I will poo poo off it, which makes it slick and hard for y’all to get me up here.

The Mexican birthday party video is an all-timer for sure

Also the aliens were demons and he's a priest its fine if the water science doesn't really work imo

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Is that the movie where super advanced aliens didn't know they were allergic to one of the essential components of life?

Yes, this is the thing that every single Youtube film critic brings up like its incisive commentary.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Signs is just a big budget pureflix movie starring Hollywood's most outspoken anti-semite

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chemtrailologist posted:

Yes, this is the thing that every single Youtube film critic brings up like its incisive commentary.

Also everyone who’s ever seen it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone who says that is as dumb as they think the aliens are.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the village was cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing about him that's so weird is that after 20 years of movies panned by critics and audiences alike, people still see his movies, and people still give him money to make movies. And we will continue to do so.

But why? Well I don't think he is entirely untalented. He cannot write dialog or direct actors for poo poo leading to a lot of borderline Tommy Wiseau levels of performances even from proven talented actors. And a lot of the plot points are usually stupid as poo poo. But at the same time most (not all) of his movies are paced decently well and based of a concept interesting enough that I'll be like "allright I gotta see how stupid this is" and I'm rarely disappointed. Old has to be one of the stupidest movies I have seen in years but I can't say I was bored watching it. Which is more than I can say for a lot of movies. And for that reason I'll watch his next dumb movie and the one after that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M Night is a B movie director that has a very fun specific stilted style that makes his films pretty campy in a fun way.

The problem is he was hailed as the next Spielberg when he really isn’t. A Spielberg would never make a scene as hilarious as a evil old man shoving his dirty diaper into the face of a germ fearing child and play it absolutely straight

It’s incredible. Embrace the camp.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Asian guy in Old was really something else. It was like he was reading every one of his lines off a flash card for the very first time. Somehow he was still only about 25% worse than literally everyone else in the movie though.

Also I love how no one actually got older except the kids lol.

CelticPredator posted:

A Spielberg would never make a scene as hilarious as a evil old man shoving his dirty diaper into the face of a germ fearing child and play it absolutely straight

Spielberg would also not make a 4 year old get pregnant and give birth to a baby that is already a skeleton lol. That was pretty bold in how unbelivalbly weird, stupid and inappropriate it was. I can't even hate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I might have actually liked Old now that I'm think about it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

I might have actually liked Old now that I'm think about it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The complaint about the aliens in Signs always seemed so stupid and nitpicky to me. Human beings go to dangerous or deadly places all the time in pursuit of something, or sometimes just for the hell of it. Even just standing outside on our own planet for too long burns our skin and gives us cancer.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

At one point in old, when the beach goes are putting the puzzle together, a dog dies out of frame. The very serious doctor character then exclaims

“But he was only just alive!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chemtrailologist posted:

Clearly when something is dumb enough that everyone tears into it it horseshoes into being so smart, actually