Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is The Forest any good ? It's a weekend deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I always assumed it was something like "We have <insert religion> people on our team so any negative depiction of said religion is okay", or least that general idea.

I like that the Hitman games include it now, I assume as a parody but perhaps in case anybody gets offended at 47 almost solely targeting hyper-wealthy assholes who think they're above the law.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

The first game was set during the third crusade around Jerusalem. You can see why they might want to get ahead of that before you even start the game. I guess it’s just sort of a tradition now, a dumb tradition.

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I imagine it started because Assassin's Creed 1 was set during the crusades, so they didn't want people thinking it was explicitly pro-christian (being a game from a French company, after all). Since then it just became a standard thing, kind of pre-empting criticism over bias of any kind, even when the game is set in like the Caribbean or Norway or whatever.

And considering AC2 ends in a fistfight with the Pope...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

And considering AC2 ends in a fistfight with the Pope...

To be fair, that was a Borgia so everybody in the world was okay with it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man, assassin's creed was kind of cool before it codified everything wrong about open world games

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Now I never finish them before I get bored with them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I bought Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia and it might be the 3rd game I ever get a refund on.
I tried to jump into it and just got so overwhelmed by the UI by brain felt like it was going to vomit.
I was just so confused. I needed to somehow use both my keyboard and my controller to navigate the menus because I couldn't find the right buttons just on one or the other.

Now I need to say, please do not take this as an indictment of the game. I might just be in a real bad headspace right now.
But yeah. Something about this seems cool but I don't think I can excavate it right now.

Also, this is a remake/reimagining of an older game? Does anybody have familiarity with that game because I've never heard of it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

man, assassin's creed was kind of cool before it codified everything wrong about open world games

The climb in quality from 1 to 2 remains one of the most amazing turnarounds I've ever seen in a AAA setting. Too bad that nothing good can stay, though!

It's not AAA by any means, but about the only other one that comes to mind is No Man's Sky.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Origin and Odyssey were both a blast to play after the series had gotten really stale, and felt like they'd revitalized the series even if they hadn't quite fully dumped the boring modern day storyline. Enough so I was gonna play Valhalla, but then they jammed it onto Epic instead and I honestly just completely forgot it existed: with Origin and Odyssey I remember people couldn't shut up posting about it or posting screenshots, maybe that's still going on in the AC thread but I have no idea if the game was considered good or not.

Also it's gonna be a tough ask to surpass Kassandra as the lead character, she was incredibly cool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

people say that about origins but myself i think “revitalizing” the series by adding levels and loot was a really awful idea

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't speak to it's quality per se, but Valhalla is Ubisoft doing their bullshit studio shuffle routine again so that game needed to reinvent a bunch of wheels after Odyssey had figured poo poo out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chieves posted:

The climb in quality from 1 to 2 remains one of the most amazing turnarounds I've ever seen in a AAA setting. Too bad that nothing good can stay, though!

It's not AAA by any means, but about the only other one that comes to mind is No Man's Sky.

Same for the change from 3 and 4. I honestly thought the franchise was dead after 3 but they decided to make a free roaming pirate simulator and it sold gangbusters and became one of the definitive open world game series.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

Same for the change from 3 and 4. I honestly thought the franchise was dead after 3 but they decided to make a free roaming pirate simulator and it sold gangbusters and became one of the definitive open world game series.

I'm still mad they didn't do a full-on Sid Meier's Pirates! remake with all the systems from that game. The pirating action was so much fun, they already had all the pieces!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

ChrisBTY posted:

So I bought Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia and it might be the 3rd game I ever get a refund on.
I tried to jump into it and just got so overwhelmed by the UI by brain felt like it was going to vomit.
I was just so confused. I needed to somehow use both my keyboard and my controller to navigate the menus because I couldn't find the right buttons just on one or the other.

Now I need to say, please do not take this as an indictment of the game. I might just be in a real bad headspace right now.
But yeah. Something about this seems cool but I don't think I can excavate it right now.

Also, this is a remake/reimagining of an older game? Does anybody have familiarity with that game because I've never heard of it.

The original Brigandine was a PS1 game, yeah, and this one is basically a big ol' love letter to it. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! It was first released for the Switch, though, so maybe the port isn't so good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The port is fine, it has some weird interface stuff but it's fine. The real issue is that it's an incredibly slow and tedious game which... fits the bill for PS1 era strategy game.

It's a game where you can, in theory, have a maximum of 21 units on either side and every unit's turn consists of selecting it, selecting a relatively distant hex, selecting skill/magic attack, selecting the attack itself, selecting target, and then needing to hit the enemy four or five times to drop it.

It takes a while. With an increasingly complicated stragetic map system too, mostly in equipping your heroes with items and configuring their pokemon retinue and training them and oh by the way anything that starts past level five is a dead character because they have wasted, empty level ups and most of your army starts at ten or so

It's a weird mix of some Three Kingdoms title and some Fire Emblem and you could be playing either instead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of strategy games. I bought the HOMM like Songs of Conquest and the AI just blatantly cheats. There are no difficulty settings for the campaign but I noticed that the AI heroes get free reinforcements every turn. Also they don't need to stick around In your cities to convert them they can just tag them and run. Also they have more movement than you can have baseline and respawn quicker if defeated.

I tried the last campaign mission for hours before I gave up. It's early access so that might change but it sucks out all the fun for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The port is fine, it has some weird interface stuff but it's fine. The real issue is that it's an incredibly slow and tedious game which... fits the bill for PS1 era strategy game.

Just be glad it isn't Hoshigami, which is even slower

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Begemot posted:

I'm still mad they didn't do a full-on Sid Meier's Pirates! remake with all the systems from that game. The pirating action was so much fun, they already had all the pieces!

Wasn't Skull & Bones supposed to be that?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Begemot posted:

Its been 17/35 years, and still a worthy Successor to the Sid Meier's Pirates! line has not graced us.

A good poster posted:

Wasn't Skull & Bones supposed to be that?

Isn't that some dumbass multiplayer only PvPvE thing?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not that I've ever been inclined to give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt (especially not following From Dust, sheesh), but a lot of post-9/11 games leaned heavily on an unquestioning allowance for mowing down scores of AI Muslims, so I can kinda understand and even respect the "Yo, this game is about the Crusades, but we're trying to walk a line here" intention of the disclaimer, even if (in execution) it's a bit muddled.

But I haven't so much as touched an Ubisoft game since 2011, so I don't know what they're up to these days (aside from yet more sandboxes).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Granted despite playing a lot of metroidvanias and being familiar with every video game ever released, I have not even heard of any of the games in this post except for Aquaria and Deedlit:
here are the metroidvanias i've played (either beaten or played partially) that you can find on Steam

Metroid-style:
Environmental Station Alpha
Psycron
Journey to the Savage Planet (Prime-style)
Lone Fungus
Shadow Complex
Vision Soft Reset
A Robot Named Fight
Recompile (Prime-style)
Outbuddies
Escape from Tethys
Xeodrifter
MindSeize
Momento Temporis (game was never finished)

IGA-style:
Bloodstained
The actual IGA games, as there's a collection
Deedlit/Luna Nights
Timespinner
Chasm
Inexistence Rebirth
SuperEpic

Castlevania (but not IGA) style:
Infernax (Simon's Quest)
Odallus: The Dark Call

Zelda-style:
Elliot Quest (Zelda 2)
Unsighted
Darksiders
Pear Potion
Chronicles of Teddy
Hatchwell
Lenna's Inception
Blossom Tales

Other specific game-become-vania:
The Messenger (Ninja Gaiden)
Axiom Verge (Contra-style weaponry)
Dust: An Elysian Tail (splashy/character action)
Strider 2014 (...Strider)
Monster Boy (Wonder Boy)
Aggelos (Wonder Boy)
Blaster Master Zero (of course the whole series kinda is its own flavor of MV i suppose)
Vomitoreum (DOOM)
The Mummy Demastered (Contra)
Rocketron (Contra weaponry w/ Blaster Master structure)
Rex Rocket (Megaman)
Spud's Quest (Dizzy)

Either unique or not leaning in a particular direction (I know that's contradictory but I just mean not belonging to the above categories):
Hollow Knight
Ori & the Blind Forest (& sequel)
Arkham Knight
Grime
Supraland
Yoku's Island Express
Astalon
Shantae series
Momodora Reverie
Alwa's Awakening/Legacy
BIOTA
Guacamelee
Cathedral
Valdis Story
Dandara
Transiruby
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Robot Wants Kitty
After Death
Ghost 1.0/Mini-Ghost
Aquaria
Super Panda Adventures
Catmaze
Mystik Belle
Batbarian
Win the Game/Super Win the Game
Castle in the Darkness
Pharaoh Rebirth
And All Would Cry Beware
Adventures of Chris
Kunai
Aquatic Adventures of the Last Human
Omega Strike
Magicians & Looters
Super Skelemania
Tiny/Super Dangerous Dungeons
1000 Amps
Treasure Adventure World
Spooky Ghosts Dot Com
Retro Game Crunch (has a MV in it among other games)
Mable & the Wood
8Doors
UnEpic (sucks)
Dark Matter (game was never finished)
Ghostly Matter
Forma.8
The Waste Land (bad bad bad)
Aerannis (problematic AF)
Visual Out
Rabi-Ribi
Lore Finder
Robot Exploration Squad (ugly as heck but actually decent IIRC)
Minishoot Adventure
Exophobia
Rubi: The Wayward Mira
Kingdom Shell
Exile's End

Not actually Metroidvanias but they have the tag on Steam for some reason:
Cave Story (it's not it's not it's not)
Foregone
Apotheon
Asha in Monster World HD
Knytt Underground (Knytt Stories, however, does qualify and is quite good... but not on Steam)
Fez
ICEY
Binky's Trash Service (a cool little game but not a MV)
Flynn: Son of Crimson
The Swapper (good puzzle game, not a MV)
VVVVVV
Full Bore
Myth Bearer
Abyss Odyssey
Chariot
Spaceport Hope
Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Rabbit
Willy Jetman
Shovel Knight
ARES
Out There Somewhere
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Seraph

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 15, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Momodora: Reverie of the Night is a great little pocket metroidvania, and has had me looking for more shorter titles. Sometimes you just want a taste of something without it becoming your life for a month, you know?

Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils is probably my favorite metroidvania, but they took it off Steam with no word on its return. Glad to have my copy, but it's a shame I can't recommend it to anyone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils is probably my favorite metroidvania, but they took it off Steam with no word on its return. Glad to have my copy, but it's a shame I can't recommend it to anyone.
Yeah Bunny Must Die was a neat game, I guess there probably are others that aren't showing up in Steam search because they're delisted. Just scanning my library, a few more:

Aztaka
Bunny Must Die
Headlander (it's actually been so long I forget if this actually is a MV or not, I forget)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Skautfold: Usurper

I also played the demo of Pronty but IDK if the full thing is a MV, it was very Aquaria-like from what I remember. there are a few games in the big list above where i only played the demo but they are def metroidvanias. i intend on getting to the full versions of them eventually (astalon and lone fungus are examples... lone fungus is currently early access so i'm waiting on that to be completed)

some MVs that will be releasing in the future:

Transmute (Metroid-style)
some games from the big list above that i played demos of (Exophobia, Kingdom Shell, Lore Finder, Minishoot Adventures)
Gestalt: Steam and Cinder
Astronite
Islets
Souldiers (so-claimed anyway... I played the demo and it felt pretty linear)
Emuurom
Bushiden
Bio-Gun
Heart Forth Alicia and Ghost Song (yes they aren't vaporware, both devs are working on their respective games still)
Rune Fencer Iliya
9 Years of Shadows (just gonna link this one again because the visuals look loving sick)

i love metroidvanias a lot, obviously! i have still a lot of MVs to buy & play, like ender lilies, haiku, powerslave, F.I.S.T., biomass, ato, necrosphere, aeterna noctis. i'll get to them. i will!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 15, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kagrenac posted:

The second zone has an additive 20% gold bonus. I have absolutely no idea why it exists since it doesn't scale but the first sign after the entrance room tells you about it.

Oh right, I totally forgot that sign, because of course I read it before I got the key item that lets me go there, and didn't re-read it on my return. (I probably would never have found it if I didn't watch Smight play for the first few hours, to be perfectly honest.)

Apparently, it's just straight up to make the zone more rewarding. It seems like before it was a bit more platform-focused and open at the start, but that doesn't offer a permanent reward in the way combat does. So you gotta figure people were just avoiding the zone once they could, which would be a bummer if you spent the time on it.
https://roguelegacy2.com/patchnotes/v050

I do really like the juxtaposition of that zone with the blocky castle rooms in the first area; very large spaces and very small spaces. But I'm also looking forward to checking out the other zones in earnest once I grind enough coins to stop insta-dying.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jerusalem posted:

I like that the Hitman games include it now, I assume as a parody but perhaps in case anybody gets offended at 47 almost solely targeting hyper-wealthy assholes who think they're above the law.

Maybe they are also keeping in mind what happened with Hitman 2: Silent Assassin in 2002.

Controversy
The game's release sparked controversy due to a level featuring the killing of Sikhs within a depiction of their most holy site, the Harmandir Sahib, where hundreds of Sikhs were massacred in 1984.[18] In response, the level was edited from the Microsoft Windows and GameCube versions of Silent Assassin, removing all Sikh-related references.[19][20]

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anyone who loves metroidvanias and hasn't played GRIME needs to play GRIME.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Maybe they are also keeping in mind what happened with Hitman 2: Silent Assassin in 2002.

Controversy
The game's release sparked controversy due to a level featuring the killing of Sikhs within a depiction of their most holy site, the Harmandir Sahib, where hundreds of Sikhs were massacred in 1984.[18] In response, the level was edited from the Microsoft Windows and GameCube versions of Silent Assassin, removing all Sikh-related references.[19][20]

:stare:

Yeah okay I was fully unaware of that. Good Lord.

I'm glad that it seems most of whoever was responsible for most of the hosed up weirdo ideas at IOI are either gone or have been completely sidelined - Absolution was really hosed up but apparently could have been even worse, and the new Hitman games seem to have taken a strong step away from "edgy" bullshit like that.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's a game where you can, in theory, have a maximum of 21 units on either side and every unit's turn consists of selecting it, selecting a relatively distant hex, selecting skill/magic attack, selecting the attack itself, selecting target, and then needing to hit the enemy four or five times to drop it.

It takes a while. With an increasingly complicated stragetic map system too, mostly in equipping your heroes with items and configuring their pokemon retinue and training them and oh by the way anything that starts past level five is a dead character because they have wasted, empty level ups and most of your army starts at ten or so

It's a weird mix of some Three Kingdoms title and some Fire Emblem and you could be playing either instead.

It's a real shame. In the right time this would sound a lot like my jam.
Anyway: refunded.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

A huge list of -vanias

I copied this list for future reference come sales time, but which would you say are the ones that you would at least consider as"good and worth your time". I'm only familiar with maybe 1/5 of these titles and I love this genre(s)! Or are there any particular duds to avoid?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Personally if you haven't yet I'd suggest trying out Bloodstained, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, and Touhou Luna Nights. And if you're thinking, "but I'm not familiar with a niche 90s anime about someone's D&D campaign or Touhou", well neither am I, both games are good regardless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Deedlit's enjoyable, and the general gist of its plot is self-evident, but it does indulge in a lot of callbacks to the source material, so if you ever feel like you're missing something, the developers are assuming a certain body of knowledge. It's a game made for fans first and foremost, but solid enough (with a general enough plot) that outsiders can also enjoy it.

Relatedly, if you're into someone turning their D&D campaign into a video game, the Chronicles of Mystara is a collection of two Capcom beat-em-ups, also on Steam. Yes, beat-em-ups, you read that correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skVZyMckfU

A little janky, but if you've ever heard of or enjoyed Dragon's Crown, this is that game's granddaddy (and George Kamitani worked on both).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know if there's One Weird Trick that fixes the framerate in Mankind Divided? Because I can't break 60 on lowest settings on my 3080 and that's not just annoying, it's loving stupid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know if there's One Weird Trick that fixes the framerate in Mankind Divided? Because I can't break 60 on lowest settings on my 3080 and that's not just annoying, it's loving stupid.

IIRC it runs like buttass in windowed-fullscreen but is alright in exclusive fullscreen

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Trickyblackjack posted:

I copied this list for future reference come sales time, but which would you say are the ones that you would at least consider as"good and worth your time". I'm only familiar with maybe 1/5 of these titles and I love this genre(s)! Or are there any particular duds to avoid?

Not OP, but from the list, I'd absolutely recommend:

ESA
Axiom Verge
Guacamelee
VVVVVV (absolutely not from the genre but a great game)
Shovel Knight (megaman-like, absolutely not from the genre again)

And if you love the genre and randomiser mods but wish the game would deal with it by itself, then A Robot Named Fight is also a hot recommendation.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Black Griffon posted:

Switch to DX11.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Best Metroidva.... games of this genre of recent years for me:

Hollow Knight
Axiom Verge
Ender Lilies (this seems to be a sleeper, it's right up there with Hollow Knight)
Bloodstained

That's the top 4, bubbling under:

Alwa's legacy
Salt & Sanctuary
Deedlit
Ori & The blind forest (and sequel)
Vigil : The longest night (this one also a bit more unknown but very good)

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Free Rebel Galaxy Outl[A]w on steam:

578KI-TXP02-2[ ]GMZ (fill in the blank)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Full Bore is absolutely a metroidvania, it's just one in which learning game mechanics allows you to access new areas, rather than receiving explicit upgrade

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Not the Messiah posted:

Free Rebel Galaxy Outl[A]w on steam:

578KI-TXP02-2[ ]GMZ (fill in the blank)

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

La-Mulana's another, though difficult to recommend. It's very obtuse, though in a creeping way. I played through it with a notebook, drawing maps, recording lore, and while that served me well for the first half of the game, the back half steadily got more and more confusing, until I finally broke down and checked a guide. Still not sure I'd believe anyone who told me they solved the mantra puzzle without a guide without brute forcing it.

I recently picked up the sequel, and so far it's smoother sailing. I'm still early on though, so that could change.