Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 88: Takatoshi Hijiyama 4

My yakisoba pan’s waiting for me…

I need to find Okino.

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(If I had to guess… Okino must be a cat person. Well… Not that that’s particularly important to know…)

Consider Sentinel

(So the Sentinel’s a weapon from the future…? It’s strange to say, but… it does make sense. After all, even one of its “computers” was so far beyond what we knew.)

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Where is Okino?

Hijiyama suddenly notices Ryoko as she turns around and jumps back in surprise. I feel the need to point out that she was only “hidden” because of the tree, which is not between them from Hijiyama’s perspective, so I guess he just wasn’t paying any loving attention.

(But she’s so pale, and covered in bandages… In the tree’s shade, she looked more ghost than girl…)

(As long as I’ve gotten this close already, maybe…)

This is not the time.

Are we on for today?
*shakes head with pained look* …… I’ve got somewhere to be.
Well, all right.

Oof, sorry Juro. Let’s just try to get Hijiyama a drink.

Hijiyama’s thirst will yet go unquenched.

I like how Hijiyama can just stroll through a school he doesn’t attend wearing the wrong uniform. Man, people didn’t give a gently caress in the 80’s! Or, er, they won’t the fake future 80’s. Whatever.

It’s Okino’s little friend again.

Does it live at the school?

That’s not his name!

Lucky?
You know, because he’s a lucky cat!

A cat of many names, it sounds like.

You just hang around this cat…

What, seriously?
I mean, it’s… it’s usually like, a couple coins…

Let’s see what’s under the box, shall we…?

We now have a new Thought Cloud item, “Change,” which will allow us to to perform the rather inglorious task of scrounging our immediate surroundings for loose coins. Let’s use it by this box that Shintaro the cat was sitting near.

Also, someone more in-the-know about Japanese culture please tell me the proper word for this box thing, it feels kinda weird just calling it a box. I’d like to at least know what it’s for, because a cursory google for the purpose I thought it served was not very helpful.

edit: Apparently it's for putting weather sensors in. Interesting!

Consider Change

That’s a lucky find.

I… dunno if I have the money.

By the way, we can Consider “Change” at any time, but if we do it in the wrong spot, this will happen:

Consider Change

Well, let’s head to the cafeteria and get our yakisoba pan.

I know you’re broke, Hijyama, but 150 yen for lunch is actually a pretty fair rate, considering that 150 yen in 1985 is equivalent to about $1.41 in USD today.

If we want to progress, we need to go back to the wooden school building from the cafeteria. The “path” through the school grounds is a big circle, for the record. We go from the wooden school building to the walkway to the break area or the schoolyard, and then from the schoolyard to the cafeteria to the wooden school building. We can also reverse that order. But we can only go from the wooden school building to the walkway, not back to the cafeteria.

None of that was important to understand, for the record, but it does explain why I go to the wooden school building here and then immediately turn around and leave the area for the walkway. It’s just a minor shortcut.

Kind of hard to see here between the dual camouflage of the bush and Hijiyama’s leg, but Shintaro can next be found at the walkway.

Consider Change

And that makes 200 yen, enough for a delicious yakisoba pan.

But if we head to the break area, we can buy a drink first. I doubt this game is going to allow me to softlock myself by spending all the change, so let’s do it.

Drink Canned Soda

But now we don’t have enough money to buy our yakisoba pan… However, we’re near some vending machines. Surely some clumsy students have dropped a few coins here and there?

Consider Change

Perfect!

He was looking under the vending machines. What do you think he was doing?
Maybe he dropped his change?
Oh, what? I wouldn’t go digging around for it. That looks so sketchy.

Embarrassing…

Well, let’s just get our grubby little fingers on some yakisoba pan, finally.

Wait… doing some quick napkin math here… the drink cost 100 yen? And the yakisoba pan only cost 150? Something’s wrong there. I know this is a boom economy for Japan and all, but that can’t be right. Maybe the 2188 folks hosed up the economy somehow and soda is now ludicrously expensive compared to actual food.

Consider Yakisoba Pan

But it’s okay now. Time to dig in…

Well, with that out of the way, let’s head back to the wooden school building and see if we can’t find Okino.

Is he not at school?

One of the Sentinels’ scout units… Why is this here?

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

……
What’s wrong…? You can’t move? Something’s happened. Did Okino get him too?

Don’t tell me I’m going to have to carry him. What a hassle…
……
What am I, just another one of Okino’s cronies…?

Does Okino actually have any cronies besides you, Hijiyama?

I don’t have to run around cleaning up his messes.

Bj begins to roll away.

I’ll take a look…

Oh boy, some fresh 2188 mindfucks!

What’s wrong is this core system.
Oh. Figured it out, huh?

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

Professor Shinonome found it. Deimos? Really?

Deimos!?

Everyone knows that’s one of the old kaiju survival sims. Even I played that thing all the time when I was a kid.

Wait, what!?

*chuckle* Don’t worry about it.

The kaiju come from a video game!?

I’m just reusing the infrastructure. Environment management code. Relax. We’re not gonna get kaiju popping up.

*laugh track*

Still…
And hey, faster than building the codebase from scratch. Right?

The work’s done. We’ve done all we can for the human race’s future.

There it is again, the implication that humanity is doomed…

As long as this colony’s life support holds out… As long as I’ve got even a second more, I’d rather spend it with you.
Tsukasa… …You’re right. I’d rather be holding you right now, myself. I’ll see if I can explain it to Professor Shinonome.
Thanks…

That wasn’t… me, was it…?

It’s impossible…

Put it up again.

Music: Emotional Storm (Yoshimi Kudo)

Why did it come to this…? It was all logistical debate over Project Ark. An energy dispute. And Tsukasa… He argued to cancel the plan. To divert the energy to life support. If that drat Ogata and his cronies hadn’t come armed… …No… Too late to point fingers now.

Holy poo poo! …But, hold on a minute. 2188!Ogata brought guns to this dispute… in favor of the continuation of Project Ark? Now, I know that the circumstances must have changed dramatically since 2188!Minami originally proposed it to 2188!Ogata, but he rejected the plan. What happened to make him change his mind, especially when it sounds like his life was on the line?

As for the survivors…

It won’t even take 20 hours. All we’ve worked for will be gone. …I came here so I could protect people. And now I’ll die here, with my friends’ blood on my hands…

I hope I live to protect them. Protect all my friends…

2188!Hijiyama’s voice is weak, but still breaking. He’s clearly on the verge of tears.

What did I… just see?

Okino…? Where are you!?

Hijiyama runs out of the old school building.

Back over with BJ and Ei…

That was… this world’s Takatoshi-san…

I brought him here. Looks like Okino’s with him, too…

Music: Beyond the Memories (Rikako Watanabe)

(But what even was that? ……)

…You didn’t go to school today?
Oh, yeah. I skipped to do a little time travel.
*momentary shock*

Were you out looking for me at school?
No, uh… not really?

This has nothing to do with anything going on in this scene but I just realized how wild it is that both Hijiyama and Okino keep hanging around Sakura High School considering the fairly high chance that either of them runs into Nenji, who they loving kidnapped and who would absolutely not hesitate to start poo poo.

*blushes, shakes head* Why is that a good thing?

Music: Deafening Silence (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

You led me right to Okino’s doorstep.
No… You’re here to kill him!?
Hijiyama-kun, calm down. He’s Ei Sekigahara. He and I play for the same team.
*shocked*

Oh, Okino, you and your ambiguous wordplay.

……
Isn’t that right?

I think I know why you’re here… You want what only I can give you.

Really laying it on thick there, huh?

You can drop the gun.

Please, help me.
Sure.

You two…? Don’t tell me…

Oh god, you poor bi idiot.

*chuckle* What if we are? What does that matter to you?

Okino, stop loving with Hijiyama. He’s had a rough day.

So, that was a trip. A lot to go over now, but we’ll try to cover as much as we can.

We’ve already talked about the apparent 2188!Ogata inconsistency, so we’ll ignore that for now.

Seven deaths, huh? Anyway, let’s recap what we’ve learned:
  • Presumably those seven deaths include Hijiyama. But who died? We know about Okino, Hijiyama, Ogata, and Izumi. Also, two survivors: Ida and Shinonome. That makes nine people alive at the time of the dispute.
  • So… 2188!Okino was in charge of Project Ark’s infrastructure, or environment management programming, or something like that. We don’t know the specifics yet because his Mystery File is locked, unfortunately. But Okino reused old code from a kaiju-themed combat simulation, which I guess must’ve turned the terraforming machinery designs into “kaiju” when 2188!Shinonome altered things. Interesting.
  • All this just goes to show that the key moral of this game is that lazy coding practices will lead to human extinction. …I intended that to be an obvious joke, but it’s actually really plausible and now I’m sad.
  • We already know that 2188!Shinonome was the person who altered Project Ark so that the heavy machinery, the kaiju, will purge humans from all sectors and reset everything. This event explains how that might have happened a bit better: 2188!Shinonome was one of the last people alive on the colony, and she also knew about the Deimos program 2188!Okino lazily stapled onto Project Ark.
  • This is a bit of a leap, but… when we saw that message from 2188!Shinonome in Yuki 3, 2188!Ida is probably dead by then, right? Possibly by 2188!Shinonome’s own hand, considering that it seems like 2188!Ida also betrayed her, and it would mirror what our own Ryoko did in a more recent event. It’s like poetry, it rhymes. Either way, it’s likely that she was the last person alive on the colony.
  • What actually happened to the colony, anyway? How did it come to life support vs. Project Ark? How did the hangar get destroyed?
  • Where was 2188!Morimura? She’s not even mentioned here, and Project Ark seems to have been her baby.
  • A bit of a side note, but I believe the only 2188 characters we still haven’t “met” are Ida, Tomi, Ei, Juro, and Megumi, though we’ve heard about Ida and Juro. That’s just our playable characters, though. Holding out hope for the ultimate final boss, 2188!Miwako.
And of course, that’s not all, because… *sigh* It’s time for more nonsense with the conspiracy board!!!!

I added links to show that Izumi killed Okino and Hijiyama killed Izumi. Now, you may ask, why am I linking 2188 versions of characters with characters who simultaneously represent their “present” selves? And, honestly? I’m just doing it to make this all even more confusing.

I also link Tomi and Okino. We know she’s sneaking off with Okino for some reason, but we don’t know why.

And now for the part you’ve all been waiting for, 218—oh jesus christ

Yeah, this section got… mighty hosed up with this series of scenes. I removed “Project Ark?” because I feel like we have a decent handle on what it is at this point, but that was mainly for space concerns. I added nine new items to this right now, and linked relevant concepts as well.

All in all, I added:
  • “Colony in ruins???”
  • “Izumi killed Okino, Hijiyama killed Izumi”
  • “Okino programmed Project Ark from kaiju simulator”
  • “Terraformed alien planet” (this one was a long time coming, I know)
  • “Okino and Hijiyama were together”
  • “Ogata changed his mind, brought guns to defend Project Ark”
  • “Project Ark preserving humanity”
  • “Seven died in energy dispute (Project Ark vs. life support)”
  • “Ida and Shinonome last two alive”

And here’s the whole thing so far. May god have mercy on my soul.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Another classic 13 sentinels update where you get a lot of information but it does very little to fill in the gaps.

Edit: And maybe one day Okino will stop teasing Hijiyama.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Arist posted:

[*]All this just goes to show that the key moral of this game is that lazy coding practices will lead to human extinction. …I intended that to be an obvious joke, but it’s actually really plausible and now I’m sad.

Honestly one of the single most likely causes of an extinction event for humanity.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hunt11 posted:

When they're both dead.
Maybe.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Look, there are a lot of twists and turns in this game, but that would stretch belief a little too much.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Note: when 2188!Okino says "I love you" to 2188!Takatoshi, in the Japanese, he says "Aishiteru " which is the deepest level of "I love you". It ain't that "Daisuki" high school confession level stuff, it's the love LOVE.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Omobono posted:

When they're both dead.
Maybe.

Strictly speaking they both already died. The bullying has continued regardless.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

When everyone is dead, no one is dead

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

Note: when 2188!Okino says "I love you" to 2188!Takatoshi, in the Japanese, he says "Aishiteru " which is the deepest level of "I love you". It ain't that "Daisuki" high school confession level stuff, it's the love LOVE.
It's also not used very often in real life, because it's too melodramatic. Apparently it makes it sound like either you or the person you're saying it to is about to die.

In that sense, it's used accurately here.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Also, someone more in-the-know about Japanese culture please tell me the proper word for this box thing, it feels kinda weird just calling it a box. I’d like to at least know what it’s for, because a cursory google for the purpose I thought it served was not very helpful.

It's one of those boxes they put weather sensors in (Hijiyama specifically says so in Japanese) - apparently the official name is Stevenson screen. In Japanese they're 百葉箱, 100-piece* box which I guess refers to the slats.

* 葉 means a lot of things, most often leaf, but that's probably what they're doing here

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Wild that Kaiji Tang has now voiced two characters who have searched for change on the ground at some point in their games.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
For anyone who still remembers that the series exists, Yahtzee covered this game for Zero Punctuation recently. It went about as could be expected; liked the wild plot, found the combat tedious enough to make him give up on the game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The combat is Good, Actually

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It can get a bit repetitive if you do it in big chunks but that is why you space it out with story.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I bought this game the nanosecond it came out on Switch. I have completed 10 characters' stories.

I still have no idea what the hell is happening.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MachuPikacchu posted:

I still have no idea what the hell is happening.

there's robots

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hwurmp posted:

there's robots

and Yakisoba Pan

By the way, I just noticed something really cool about the sprites in this game. Instead of drawing two types of sprites for every character--one facing left, one facing right---Vanillaware simply flipped them horizontally. This is fine but it leads to awkward situations if the character is holding something as it seems as though the thing they're carrying is jumping from one arm to the other. So Vanillaware introduced a couple of frames that show the character moving said thing to their other arm/if they turn around. It is completely unnecessary and I love it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the yakisoba pan

is also robots

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MachuPikacchu posted:

and Yakisoba Pan

And Hamborger.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the hemborger

is a cyborg

cyborger

Selane
May 19, 2006

MachuPikacchu posted:

and Yakisoba Pan

By the way, I just noticed something really cool about the sprites in this game. Instead of drawing two types of sprites for every character--one facing left, one facing right---Vanillaware simply flipped them horizontally. This is fine but it leads to awkward situations if the character is holding something as it seems as though the thing they're carrying is jumping from one arm to the other. So Vanillaware introduced a couple of frames that show the character moving said thing to their other arm/if they turn around. It is completely unnecessary and I love it.

Yeah, I first noticed this in Odin Sphere with Oswald switching his sword from one hand to the other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let’s return to Ei.

Chapter 89: Ei Sekigahara 6

What were we doing again?

Examine Cryptic Note

(One set is the user number, and the other is the password.)

Right, right. Let’s check out that phone booth, then.

Use Cryptic Note on Public Phone

I wonder who would have left a message for me…

Ei. Buddy. Come on, man. You’ve already left a message for yourself twice now. This should be obvious.

Apropos of nothing, I think Ei would make an alright phone phreaker.

Please enter your user number.

Please enter your password.

You have two new messages.

Music: Something’s Fishy (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Ei hears his own voice once more. What a shock.

Turns out I was wrong. There are no outcomes where this ends well. My advice to you is to stop living in the past. You’re responsible for your own future now.

The first message ends, and the second automatically begins.

Hey, it’s me. Well, you. I imagine you’re pretty confused right now. Hearing this message, unable to remember a thing.
……
So… I’ve entrusted a message to a good friend of ours. If you seek him out… you’ll likely find him with Natsuno Minami.

Oh! BJ!

……
*buzzing noise* Looks like I’m out of time. Above all else… Finish the job. It’s for my—for your sake. Understood?

The second message ends.

Consider Natsuno Minami

(If that message from myself was true… then Natsuno Minami is a key figure in all this. She may get me a step closer to recovering my memories. …If I can really believe what I heard, that is. I guess I’d better get my hands on that data unit and find out. I’ll do some investigating of my own on Minami. I just need to find her first. Now, how should I approach this…?)

Consider Iori Fuyusaka

(I wouldn’t mind having Fuyusaka tag along… She may even be able to help me find Natsuno Minami. But… I don’t want to get her mixed up in all this.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(Wait a minute… When I met up with Fuyusaka this morning… a girl passed by and said she was going to the track room. Wasn’t that Natsuno Minami?)

Wait, this morning? Are you saying you followed Megumi to Juro’s house, shot Juro, got clocked by Miura, possibly got shot with Megumi’s magical gun offscreen, then came back here, got chased by the police, found a self-driving motorcycle, used it to find Okino and remember your brain upload sessions all in one night?

Then I’ll head over to the track room.

She’s still waiting for me…

If anything were to happen to her… I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

They’re crawling all over campus.

Where can I find someone who’s on the track team?
Oh. Well, we’re on the track team.
Do you need something?

Um…
We have stuff we need to do, sooo…
If you don’t need anything, we’ll be leaving now.

Ei, you weirdo, just use your words!

Use Natsuno Minami on Track Member

Yes! Exactly like that!

Oh… Minami? She went for a run around the school. She hasn’t come back yet.
Yup, that’s right.
Around the school… Got it. Thanks.

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

The one that contained the message to myself… Looks like she goes to this school, too.

Ei, I feel like you have enough experience by this point to recognize an obvious setup.

She’s definitely up to something…

Natsuno Minami…

*punch*

For what!? This rear end in a top hat just held a gun to your face!

Care to explain what’s going on?
You really forgot everything, huh? Just like Shinonome…
……
That’s why I can’t get a good read on you. Hard to tell whose side you’re on right now.

You lured me all the way over here. What are you planning?
Planning? I thought you came for him… right?
Him?

That’s what showed me the footage of myself.
Wrong.

That unit was a different one supplied by the SIU. They’re the ones who had it say all those things.

So Ei’s been getting manipulated from the start? Well, poo poo.

SIU?
It’s where those guys in black are from.
How do you… Just who in the world are you?

Are you working with the SIU?
Strictly speaking… no.
…Then why cooperate with them?
Got no choice.

…… So those black suits wanted me to see that footage? …But why?

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(Yuki Takamiya… She delivered the data unit to me near the river bank. She seemed to have known me before I lost my memories.)

This is the data unit I was told to seek out.
There’s a message for you.
…A message?
He asked me to show it to you. So… here it is.
Nat-chan…
……

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Was it because of me?

BJ can be heard speaking in the recording.

I can’t let them get their hands on this information.
My partnership with Ida… My dishonesty… You knew all along… Didn’t you, Miura?
You might not know this… but you’re a terrible liar.
I guess so… Why didn’t you show me the data after it was analyzed? Because you took pity on me?
…Some things are better left unknown.
I disagree. I should know about my own past. No matter how terrible I was… Can you link me to the logs through this message?
Sekigahara…
Please, Miura. Show me the logs from 2188…

Oh god, more of this…

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

Wait… 2188!Gouto talking about Chihiro Morimura as a “target”? We’ve seen this before…

…… She’s a former executive of Newmen, Inc.
After she left the company… I allowed her to participate in Shikishima’s project. The project was put on hold, but she continues working on it despite our warnings. Our company will suffer massive losses as a result.
…That’s not the real reason.
Excuse me?
You pushed for the acquisition of Newmen, Inc… And that initiated a backdoor transfer of a large slush fund.
…What’re you basing this on?
Morimura’s interstellar development project. It was one of twelve that were showcased for the acquisition. You used the project as a cover for the real use of your funds. But Morimura’s actions threw a wrench in your plans. If an international agency were to catch wind of the situation… they’ll definitely launch an investigation. And that will put you in danger of losing your position.
…Are you threatening me, Sekigahara?
Like I’d waste my time. I’m an assassin. A professional. If I’m expected to perform my job perfectly… then I need every last detail on my target.
…… Sector 4. It’s another colony that’s still under construction. You’ll find her research lab there. I’ll be heading into orbit myself next month for an inspection. I want the job handled by then. And be discreet. I’ve just sent over security details for Sector 4. You’ll also find a security personnel ID for your use. Eliminate Chihiro Morimura and put an end to the project.
First, I’ll have to confirm receipt of your payment.

The log ends. So, uh… 2188!Ei was sent to kill 2188!Morimura… whose current self is now in love with his own current self. Hilarious. I also don’t quite understand all that boardroom politicking about slush funds, but I get the big picture: Morimura is using funds that were appropriated for embezzlement purposes and if people get wise, Gouto’s hosed.

You came here from the future to kill her? But more importantly…

“Four-eyed”…? Wait, Yuki, that’s not Ida, that’s Gouto… right? Gotta admit, Ida does look more like present Gouto than he looks like Shu….

(Morimura… So I really did do it… No… I wasn’t going after Fuyusaka next, was I? …… And I’ve been lying to Miura… Was it about the change in command? No… That can’t be right…)

Finding you was simply a coincidence. Just like you, I’m now considered deceased. Ever since the battle in Sector 2… I’ve been in hiding.

Knowing you, I figured you’d keep yourself out of trouble.
……

Use DD-426 on Tetsuya Ida

Back on the battlefield in 2064, who used DD-426?
Someone did his research. Your Sentinel was the source of the infection. So the evidence suggests that you’re the one who used it.
Guess that’s how it looks…
I’m not sure who the real culprit is. However, Chihiro Morimura enacted Operation Aegis after we lost.

To see how things went in Sector 3?
……

Use Operation Aegis on Tetsuya Ida

Just look at this place… What the hell happened?
Sector 3 was used as a trial run of sorts. It was the only terminal tested on. But it was enough to activate the self-defense system. Sector 4 will be the real deal.
The 1980s…

I’m not gonna lie to you guys: the theme song to Clone High got stuck in my head the instant he said that.

Once all the terminals are sealed by the self-defense system… then Operation Aegis will be fulfilled. If that succeeds, we’ll no longer be able to loop. And we can’t let that happen.

There’s that word again, “loop”! Are we finally going to find out what that means?

If we’re unable to loop anymore, that is.

Use Loop on Tetsuya Ida

How is that different from shifting?

Well, shifting is fake and for babies, for one.

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Yeah, we knew that part, but…

Your world never existed prior to 2049.

That’s definitely new, isn’t it?

…Never existed? But we’re in 2025 right now, aren’t we?
This is neither the past nor the future. That’s how the five sectors were designed. They were created when you arrived from another world.

Wait… is that what the Ei hologram meant by “another dimension”? Huh… I guess that fits.

……

Use Another World on Tetsuya Ida

If there’s really some other world, then prove it.
…I take it you’re aware of Miura’s logs.
Logs?
Logs of the year 2188. I made an interesting discovery after studying the data myself. I learned that the real world is in 2188. We were meant to return there eventually. However… This world is destroyed before that time can come. A tragic incident, indeed. Especially if it was the result of someone’s careless actions.

To gain control over every mainframe in all sectors. Once that’s accomplished, the five sectors will reset. This causes the world to be recreated. And that includes you.

So that must be what 2188!Ryoko did…

Oh man, what the fuuuuuuuuck… I guess even “loops” were fake time travel after all!

Ei’s head is pounding.

……

Ei’s head is pounding.

……

Ei’s head is pounding.

Take Oral NM

For Izumi and Shinonome-kun?
……

However, there is a way for you to survive.

I’ll extract your data from before you lost your memories. Then I’ll take it with me to the recreated world. That should stop the effects of DD-426.
…Can you really do that?

Oh yeah, why not trust this upstanding gentleman right here?

…… So then, what do you need me for?
To make sure we can loop, of course. I intend to stop Operation Aegis so we can start over again. And if I’m going to do that, I’ll need your help.

Still don’t believe me?
Not really…
Well, you will once you see the logs for yourself. I need you to find Sentinel No. 17.
…!
I know he made a copy of it. The data will be useful in the next world. So I’d like to get my hands on it.

Drone?

Yes, but don’t activate it just yet. That’s no ordinary drone. It’s him.
Miura?
It was before the Sentinels were randomly transmitted. He transferred himself into that drone and escaped. I managed to secure him in Sector 2. He doesn’t entirely agree with my methods, though. As such, he’s chosen not to cooperate. It would be best if you told him you saved him from me.
(angry) Come again?
You’re going to convince him that you’ve saved him. Then, you’ll retrieve the data from him.
You’re asking me to lie to him?

But he’s the only one who can track and activate it.
……
For your sake, cooperate. I’ll ensure that Miura comes with us. Above all, this is for you and Shinonome-kun.

Oh, I’m loving sure, Ida.

I’ve set new coordinates further ahead. Feel free to use that one.
Hang on, I never—
To avoid suspicion, I’ll have my men continue following you.

How is that less suspicious?

They won’t be aware of our plans, however. So try not to get caught. I’m heading back to Sector 4.

I’m glad you’re okay…

So, that was… a lot. We finally found out what loops are, though! I’ll count that as a win!

Another lock for Ei, though we’re not far from unlocking it.

Oh, okay, here’s the explanation of the slush fund thing. I can’t tell if this is more or less confusing than it already was, though.

Here’s our Mystery File updates for this event.

I also remove “What are loops?” and “What is Operation Aegis?” from the board, because we pretty much know at this point. Operation Aegis, if you still need it spelled out, will use the self-defense systems of the sectors to lock down one sector so the kaiju don’t take it over. This will prevent the kaiju from invading, but crucially will also trap everyone, preventing them from looping or even leaving for the world outside.

We also add “Sekigahara is Gouto’s assassin”.

Here’s the board at present.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 26, 2022

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

So, if Sector 3 (2025) gets reset to 2049, does that mean that the other sectors get reset to 16 years in the past as well whenever there's a loop?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

MachuPikacchu posted:

So, if Sector 3 (2025) gets reset to 2049, does that mean that the other sectors get reset to 16 years in the past as well whenever there's a loop?

Sector 3 would be reset to 2009 if it's being rewound 16 years, but yes, all the zones get set back 16 years. Each is exactly 40 years apart.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Right, 2009, my mistake. Still kind of hard to keep track of the Sectors. Kind of like everything else!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So, this is the first update (at least in a while) where I feel more lost than before it.

I understand the sectors are their own self-contained areas and traveling between them isn't time travel, and that they exist in 16 year increments before being terminated and starting over. But these loops are time travel, because Ida is copying people's memories between each 'loop'? And Operation Aegis will shut this process off and prevent the loops from transpiring, but force people to live in the ruined post-Deimos world?

Also, the 16 year loop makes sense with our protagonists all being high school students, but what about their parents or Onishi the Ogre? Do they just get spat into the world as 20-30 somethings? :psyduck:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Those are excellent questions to consider, and your reaction is absolutely the expected (and desired) one at this point!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unfortunately, next update is going to be Destruction so we can unlock the several protagonists sealed behind Wave 2-10, so you'll have to hold onto those questions for a bit longer! :v:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
BTW any video of Destruction 2-10 is mandatory viewing

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think when Yuki mentioned "four-eyes" she wasn't talking about the 2188 logs, just about Ei working with Ida here and now - she'd know since Ida would have been behind Yuki giving Ei the fake drone.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Ace Transmuter posted:

BTW any video of Destruction 2-10 is mandatory viewing

:emptyquote:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Update later today, but apparently the PS4 version is getting patched on August 4th to include the gameplay changes from the Switch version... which means I need to record the rest of the LP before then, ugh.

e: apparently this is for the Japanese version, but I'm not sure if they'll do the Western release too.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 12, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Clock is ticking, Western man. Enjoy those sentries.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I heard we're getting a 14th sentinel

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Waffleman_ posted:

Clock is ticking, Western man. Enjoy those sentries.

Are they really that overpowered in the PS4 version? I'm currently playing through the Switch version and sentries are good but not that good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hwurmp posted:

I heard we're getting a 14th sentinel

Dude that's like *counts on fingers* a lot of sentinels

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MachuPikacchu posted:

Are they really that overpowered in the PS4 version? I'm currently playing through the Switch version and sentries are good but not that good.

Absolutely, lol

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MachuPikacchu posted:

Yes.

Either the enemies explicitly target the sentries, which means they're tanking and thus Nenji & the other melees have free reign to wreck havoc.
Or they ignore the sentries, whose dps is off the charts.

Sentries are tanky enough, and the CD on getting them out is low enough, that either you keep building disposable hp sponges that tie the Deimos up, or you quickly summon a critical mass to create a railgun death zone around the terminal.
And usually the Deimos can't actually destroy sentries fast enough (or at all) to prevent a critical mass from forming, so sentries getting directly targeted ends up as por que nos los dos.

The only fight where they're decent but not exceptional is in the final map, because the map is saturated with enough random damage that sentries don't actually live that long.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 12, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Chapter 90: Destruction 10

More Destruction for us. We need to clear Wave 2-10 so we can free up the four (!!!) protagonists locked behind it.

We need Ryoko and Ei, and we can only have 1st- and 2nd-generation pilots. All right.

In terms of upgrades: Nenji upgrades Rush Attack from +4 to +5, Leap Attack from +3 to +4, Demolisher Blade from +6 to the maximum, +8, and EMP Attractor from +2 to +4. He also buys Limiter Removal and upgrades it to +5, switching out Tackle to make room for it. Limiter Removal’s upgrades just reduce its EP cost, but Nenji is already wrecking house and the EP reduction is worth it.

Hijiyama upgrades Rush Attack from +2 to +4 and Demolisher Blade from +4 to +6.

Ei upgrades Rush Attack from +2 to +4 and Demolisher Blade from +5 to +6.

Juro upgrades Sentry Gun from +6 to the maximum, +8.

Iori upgrades Sentry Gun from +5 to +6, Guardian from +3 to +4, and Shield Emitter from +2 to +4.

Ryoko upgrades Guardian from +3 to +4, Sentry Gun from +5 to +6, and Shield Emitter from +3 to +4. Unfortunately, this leaves us just shy of enough to buy her Hyper Condenser, which lets her place two Sentry Guns at once. Maybe next time.

This looks like a fine team. Let’s roll.

Music: (LYSINE) (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Between kit like that and a chance to disengage my limiters, my Sentinel would be invincible…

I have all I need. Let them send their machine swarms and their four-legged beasts. I’ll take them all down myself.

Why do you even want extra armor? Isn’t that why you got your defense mode?
You need to pick your equipment based on the situation. If you two want to play hero, do it on your own time.
What’d you say!? You really are tryin’ to start poo poo, huh?
Don’t lump me in with Ogata. I’m actually serious about winning.
Oh, you don’t think I’m serious, Hijiyama? Do I sound like I’m jokin’ to you?

Video: Destruction Wave 2-9

Right after this fight starts, we’re introduced to some new APSOS units, but nothing beyond that.

It’s a vicious cycle. We’re stuck in an arms race where we can only win by improving our own Sentinels…

It’s not just the shields. Their auto-repair nanotech got a major boost, too.
Seriously? I was just thinking it was weird how long they were lasting…

Having less direct offense isn’t ideal, but if we don’t disable them, they’ll get out of control.
Even then… we’ve already bought a lot of time. It can’t be that long left.
Oh, right… How much more time do we need for this big save-the-world program?

I suppose we’ll find out the answer to Shu’s question in the next wave. Onward, then!

Juro’s Restored Memories skill increases all his stats. Can’t complain about that!

drat, only an A.

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

We need Shu on the team for this one.

We upgrade Ei’s Demolisher Blade from +6 to +8 and his EMP Surrounding from +3 to +5.

We also buy Ryoko’s Hyper Condenser and upgrade her Sentry Gun from +6 to +8.

We upgrade Natsuno’s EMP Stunner from +2 to +4. her 6 Multi-Launching Rapid Cannons from +1 to +3, her Main Batter Heavy Railgun from +2 to +4, and her Long-Range Missiles from +1 to +3.

Finally, we upgrade Tomi’s 6 Multi-Launching Rapid cannons from +1 to +3 and her EMP Stunner from +0 to +2.

Here’s our team for this wave. Here’s hoping I don’t regret bringing two 3rd-generation Sentinels into a boss wave! Spoiler alert, I will!

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

Uh-oh. She’s acting like the kid who has to go tell her mom she got suspended for swearing during recess. This can’t be good.

It’s well over 90% processed. We’re so close. But there’s a problem… As some of you may know, I’m working from the command ship in orbit. Unfortunately, it’s still on that orbital path… Soon, I’ll be too far from your location. I’ll lose signal, and I won’t be able to communicate. And when that happens… the mainframe processing will be suspended. It’ll be another 850 minutes before I come back from a full orbit. Until I can reestablish a connection, you have to hold on.

Eight-hundred and fifty minutes!? That’s… uh… wait…

Thank you, Juro. Wait, how did you figure that out so quickly? Is there, like, a calculator app in your cockpit?

Anyway, that’s a lotta minutes!

Please, don’t give up hope. Until I get cut off, I promise I’ll do everything I can…

……

As long as you’re still here… maybe you could sing for us?
…… All right… As long as you can hear my voice, you’ll know I’m still connected.

Music: Seaside Vacation (Composer: Hitoshi Sakimotom Lyricist: Rikako Watanabe, Vocals: Hu Ito)

Video: Destruction Wave 2-10 (You should really watch at least part of this)

I actually included two different takes of this fight, because the first one was really bad and the second one was honestly too good and this wave’s central gimmick didn’t play out all the way. The description below the video should also tell you where to skip to if you just want to see a specific take.

Music: [RIBOSE] (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Would you losers lighten up already? Everyone’s actin’ like we already lost this!

Never had a brawl that lasted all night. Hell, we might be about to set a new record.
Man… Think we can last until sunrise…?

Poor Ryoko accomplished literally nothing in that fight because she was too far away from everything, oops!

Tomi’s You’re So Reckless! increases her attack against any kaiju that are near Nenji. Awww… :3:

Ei’s Marksman increases his critical hit chance against aerial kaiju.

Sweet, got an S on that second take.

And we got a bonus single for our troubles. Nice!

JURO. KURABE.

Well, that’s obviously going to do it for today’s Destruction progression, because we literally can’t do any more! But let’s unlock some Mystery Files while we’re here!

Gross! Really didn’t need that close-up, game!

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
That was a really nice song :unsmith: Nothing like good ol' JPop to make me feel feelings

If anyone is interested, tomorrow RetroCrush.tv is releasing the first two Megazone23 OVAs on their site, which was a big inspiration for 13 Sentinals, in that it also deals with simulated cities. I've always wanted to see this one

https://twitter.com/retrocrush_tv/status/1524880839493967872?s=20&t=JEElNcIze2uXWqJsX2rU9A

Hell yeah 80's anime! This was also one of series that was Frankenstein'd in to Robotech, I believe.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 15, 2022