Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

He really was the worst choice in a field of terrible, terrible candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think appropriating right wing language and prejudices against trump, calling him a pussy for ducking the draft and a fag for wearing makeup, phony christian and a out of touch costal elite and whatever probably would have been the best strategy to dismantle his strong man image but also its obvious why they didn't do that (the democrats like losing)

show photos of him hanging out with hillary, disparaging association with hillary, would have won hillary the presidency basically

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

ikanreed posted:

He really was the worst choice in a field of terrible, terrible candidates

it depends on what kind of “bad” you think might be worse, but for me maybe only Bloomberg would have been a worse choice. Less of a transparent feeble minded dipshit, but definitely king of the numerous “hey let’s please just openly worship capitalists” candidates.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

I think appropriating right wing language and prejudices against trump, calling him a pussy for ducking the draft and a fag for wearing makeup, phony christian and a out of touch costal elite and whatever probably would have been the best strategy to dismantle his strong man image but also its obvious why they didn't do that (the democrats like losing)

but which of their candidates does this stuff not apply to? Kamala, Biden, Sanders are all fake Christian coastal elites, none of them served. I guess Buttigeg did an internship with the marines but being gay automatically makes him a phony Christian to a lot of Christians, even Democrat voters. they probably couldn’t get away with it even if they had the balls, and the hypocrisy charge only carries any weight with Blue No Matter Who voters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would have simply promised the improvement of material conditions, and upon winning the election, used the power granted to the office to improve said material conditions . Easy peasy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Justus posted:

it depends on what kind of “bad” you think might be worse, but for me maybe only Bloomberg would have been a worse choice. Less of a transparent feeble minded dipshit, but definitely king of the numerous “hey let’s please just openly worship capitalists” candidates.

Okay Bloomberg was just a fascist. I glossed that over.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Maya Fey posted:

wonder how much this cost

It was so embarrassing seeing people try to out-trump trump who had no business ever trying. loving sad-rear end elvis impersonators.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Poor Donald lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just call him a pedophile who wants to gently caress his daughter, the only way to gently caress with him on that front is to go nuclear. otherwise stick to your own poo poo

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

nah, pedohunting is an game owned top to bottom by the moralists and it's something that energizes the republican base. It would be laughed off as a nasty joke by the opposition demonstrating their opponent's sickness and just help rally them.

Attacking donald is a stupid exercise because the entire effort is premised on the idea that a "win" against him will earn you a defector republican vote because something you said made a republican see trump differently.

It's pathetic.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

orange man bad

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Mero Mero posted:

nah, pedohunting is an game owned top to bottom by the moralists and it's something that energizes the republican base. It would be laughed off as a nasty joke by the opposition demonstrating their opponent's sickness and just help rally them.

Attacking donald is a stupid exercise because the entire effort is premised on the idea that a "win" against him will earn you a defector republican vote because something you said made a republican see trump differently.

It's pathetic.

yeah, anyone who is even considering voting for trump is either too stupid to even be convinced of anything (see: Ken Bone) or is absolutely ride or die for him and will dismiss anything said against him

of course, the democrats don't want to actually win, so it's better for them to spread the narrative that there's just tons of reasonable republicans ready to vote for democrats who are right wing enough

one of the results of the extremely stupid culture war is that voting is just a lifestyle choice, and this includes republican voters. I've spoken to too many people who would be actively harmed by republican administrations who keep voting republican because they "can't imagine voting for a democrat" to think that there's literally anything that can convince them

edit: like, the last House election in my hometown (which is pretty drat poor) was a navy vet and prosecutor who openly advocated for m4a for the dems and Madison Cawthorn, who is like if Trump didn't have any money and was somehow even dumber. Cawthorn had an R next to his name so he won. But that won't stop people there from saying THERE OUGHTA BE MORE SOLDIERS IN POLITICS. There's no actual train of logic to it other than "R good, D bad"

DoubleDonut has issued a correction as of 23:10 on May 14, 2022

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

libs spending months condescendingly explaining that "big dick donald" is actually brilliant because many women don't like it when their partners are too big but you'd know that if you weren't sexist and doing the dreamworks smirk then soyfacing when they lose by 30 points

i swear i remember reading that one of hillary's big ideas was getting a guy in a donald duck costume to follow trump around because he was "ducking" releasing his taxes and was only talked out of it when someone reminded her disney was one of her donors and would be pissed

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/stephensemler/s...ingawful.com%2F

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the deficit is entirely fake and nobody actually cares about it except the stupidest dems and they only care about it because they think 'sensible republicans' and 'socially liberal but fiscally conservative' types (i.e. fake bullshit groups that don't really meaningfully exist) care about it which is how we end up with poo poo like "proudly killing another million americans in order to make the fake number nobody cares about be smaller"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

indigi posted:

but which of their candidates does this stuff not apply to? Kamala, Biden, Sanders are all fake Christian coastal elites, none of them served. I guess Buttigeg did an internship with the marines but being gay automatically makes him a phony Christian to a lot of Christians, even Democrat voters. they probably couldn’t get away with it even if they had the balls, and the hypocrisy charge only carries any weight with Blue No Matter Who voters

Bernie is Jewish OP.

Also I hate Buttigieg but he is youth pastor as gently caress.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 01:07 on May 15, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

hailthefish posted:

the deficit is entirely fake

Definitionally production must equal consumption. The only thing deficits mean is rich people stealing from us.
The idea that we consumed "too much" because of government spending and must be punished to make number go up is just phenomenally stupid.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

It's pathetic.

the point isn’t to earn Republican voters in that scenario

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

libs spending months condescendingly explaining that "big dick donald" is actually brilliant because many women don't like it when their partners are too big but you'd know that if you weren't sexist and doing the dreamworks smirk then soyfacing when they lose by 30 points

i swear i remember reading that one of hillary's big ideas was getting a guy in a donald duck costume to follow trump around because he was "ducking" releasing his taxes and was only talked out of it when someone reminded her disney was one of her donors and would be pissed

Hacks was a great read

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

oh my god they really did 6 months of focus groups and consultants for "ultra-maga" lmao.

"How can we make Trump and his supporters sound cool as hell?"

Between this and delporables it's really sad watching Dems try to fight back against Trump's insults

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hailthefish posted:

the deficit is entirely fake and nobody actually cares about it except the stupidest dems and they only care about it because they think 'sensible republicans' and 'socially liberal but fiscally conservative' types (i.e. fake bullshit groups that don't really meaningfully exist) care about it which is how we end up with poo poo like "proudly killing another million americans in order to make the fake number nobody cares about be smaller"

there are absolutely tons of dumbshits out there who think the federal government budget is just like a household budget and holding debt means your poor and they don’t want to be part of a poor country, or that the government printing money causes inflation, or that China is going to do a margin call on the us and idk own the government or something

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

indigi posted:

the goal wouldn’t be to get people to vote for a democrat, it would be to get them to not vote at all

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hailthefish posted:

if we can't fix the deficit who is going to pay for the grifts in yellow-blue land

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
the democrats care about “looking good” on the deficit which is why they’ll proudly support the balanced budget amendment during the constitutional convention which will get called after the ‘22 or ‘24 elections

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Agutter posted:

there are absolutely tons of dumbshits out there who think the federal government budget is just like a household budget and holding debt means your poor and they don’t want to be part of a poor country,

They don't actually believe this, they pretend to believe it in order to deny money / benefits to people they hate. They don't give a gently caress if we're over-budget by 999 trillion a year if that money is going to the military or cops, but if we're overbudget 1 billion and that money is benefitting inner city kids, they shriek like banshees.

Lee Atwater admitted in 1981 that every economic issue the GOP pretends to believe in is just a thin veneer for racism. None of their beliefs are genuine. They aren't "dumb", they are just racist.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

evilpicard posted:

Definitionally production must equal consumption. The only thing deficits mean is rich people stealing from us.
The idea that we consumed "too much" because of government spending and must be punished to make number go up is just phenomenally stupid.

With the caveat that if your society is addicted to capitalism and financialization of all value and privatization of debt, to the extent that you take those as givens, extensive, unpredictable, interanualler variation in public debt can hypothetically cause runaway inflation.

But you'd have to be an idiot to design your whole economy that way.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Two years ago, by a series of strange coincidences, I found myself attending a garden party at Westminster Abbey. I was a bit uncomfortable. It’s not that other guests weren’t pleasant and amicable, and Father Graeme, who had organized the party, was nothing if not a gracious and charming host. But I felt more than a little out of place. At one point, Father Graeme intervened, saying that there was someone by a nearby fountain whom I would certainly want to meet. She turned out to be a trim, well-appointed young woman who, he explained, was an attorney—“but more of the activist kind. She works for a foundation that provides legal support for anti-poverty groups in London. You’ll probably have a lot to talk about.”

We chatted. She told me about her job. I told her I had been involved for many years with the global justice movement—“anti-globalization movement,” as it was usually called in the media. She was curious: she’d of course read a lot about Seattle, Genoa, the tear gas and street battles, but … well, had we really accomplished anything by all of that?

“Actually,” I said, “I think it’s kind of amazing how much we did manage to accomplish in those first couple of years.”

“For example?”

“Well, for example, we managed to almost completely destroy the IMF.”

As it happened, she didn’t actually know what the IMF was, so I offered that the International Monetary Fund basically acted as the world’s debt enforcers—“You might say, the high-finance equivalent of the guys who come to break your legs.” I launched into historical background, explaining how, during the ’70s oil crisis, OPEC countries ended up pouring so much of their newfound riches into Western banks that the banks couldn’t figure out where to invest the money; how Citibank and Chase therefore began sending agents around the world trying to convince Third World dictators and politicians to take out loans (at the time, this was called “go-go banking”); how they started out at extremely low rates of interest that almost immediately skyrocketed to 20 percent or so due to tight U.S. money policies in the early ’80s; how, during the ’80s and ’90s, this led to the Third World debt crisis; how the IMF then stepped in to insist that, in order to obtain refinancing, poor countries would be obliged to abandon price supports on basic foodstuffs, or even policies of keeping strategic food reserves, and abandon free health care and free education; how all of this had led to the collapse of all the most basic supports for some of the poorest and most vulnerable people on earth. I spoke of poverty, of the looting of public resources, the collapse of societies, endemic violence, malnutrition, hopelessness, and broken lives.

“But what was your position?” the lawyer asked.”

“About the IMF? We wanted to abolish it.”

“No, I mean, about the Third World debt.”

“Oh, we wanted to abolish that too. The immediate demand was to stop the IMF from imposing structural adjustment policies, which were doing all the direct damage, but we managed to accomplish that surprisingly quickly. The more long-term aim was debt amnesty. Something along the lines of the biblical Jubilee. As far as we were concerned,” I told her, “thirty years of money flowing from the poorest countries to the richest was quite enough.”

“But,” she objected, as if this were self-evident, “they’d borrowed the money! Surely one has to pay one’s debts.”

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

evilpicard posted:

Definitionally production must equal consumption.

ah yeah say's law. not like marx went to town destroying this idea and then neoclassical econ also took its shot

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Shits going to be means tested to hell if it ever dies come out. Looking forward to my $250 of student debt forgiveness.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stereotype posted:

the goal wouldn’t be to get people to vote for a democrat, it would be to get them to not vote at all

that strategy only works on Democrats though, they’re the ones who decide to take elections off in droves. it’s why Trump won. Republicans vote pretty consistently

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the chosen option is going to be performative and completely useless. lmao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i can't wait for the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vim Fuego posted:

Biden admin cut infant obesity IN HALF!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as much as I hate Biden and the Democrats, strategically he shouldn’t do poo poo til mid-late August at earliest, once all the fall semester student loans have cleared. plus it’ll be closer to the election which will make more people vote Dem in theory.

I do think he has to do it this year though cause waiting til 2024 hoping it’ll bump his numbers vs Trump will be too late; he could do 20k now and raise it 50k then though for another bite of the apple

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bi crimes posted:

i can't wait for the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

as much as I hate Biden and the Democrats, strategically he shouldn’t do poo poo til mid-late August at earliest, once all the fall semester student loans have cleared. plus it’ll be closer to the election which will make more people vote Dem in theory.

I do think he has to do it this year though cause waiting til 2024 hoping it’ll bump his numbers vs Trump will be too late; he could do 20k now and raise it 50k then though for another bite of the apple

strategically I think it'd be good if he helped people, I don't think you have to wait until right before elections to help people.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

strategically I think it'd be good if he helped people, I don't think you have to wait until right before elections to help people.

that’s not strategic, that’s just normal human behavior which democrats aren’t

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

indigi posted:

the only 'strategic' move they're making is pretending to want to cancel debt so their poll numbers stop dropping so hard. they have absolutely no interest in doing it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao Joe riled the sleeping giant

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/1525309091970699265?s=20

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/1525846743278944256?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Inflation is awesome for debtors though