Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh man I just encountered an issue with how they removed python from MacOS. I have a “shuffle pdf” workflow and a bunch of the pdf actions are completely broken in Automator because they relied on python. Kind of ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Are those actions provided by Apple or some third party like Adobe?
Pretty funny if they break their own first party stuff, at least you still get python3 when you install Xcode

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tuyop posted:

Oh man I just encountered an issue with how they removed python from MacOS. I have a “shuffle pdf” workflow and a bunch of the pdf actions are completely broken in Automator because they relied on python. Kind of ridiculous!

They removed Python2.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Python3 is still there in Monterey and if you absolutely needed it, you could get python2 via Homebrew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though due to AS/Intel fiddliness it is not advisable to try to put Python <= 3.7 (which are only compiled for Intel) on an M1.

You can do it, but it sucks. You have to have different parallel brew installations for both architectures.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 macOS Monterey 12.4 and Big Sur 11.6.6 are out 💩💩💩

Monterey includes final 'fixed' firmware update for Apple Studio Display monitors, a final version of Universal Control, and an updated PodCasts app.

For those of you who want to suffer some more with Catalina, Security Update 2022-004 for Catalina is also now available.

Edit: the ASD firmware will be a separate download, Monterey 12.4 just adds support for the new firmware in macOS.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 16, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Binary Badger posted:

Python3 is still there in Monterey and if you absolutely needed it, you could get python2 via Homebrew.

Homebrew removed support for python v2 in 2020. It's time to update to Python 3 if the scripts are simple enough

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

💩💩💩 macOS Monterey 12.4 and Big Sur 11.6.6 are out 💩💩💩

Monterey includes final 'fixed' firmware update for Apple Studio Display monitors, a final version of Universal Control, and an updated PodCasts app.

For those of you who want to suffer some more with Catalina, Security Update 2022-004 for Catalina is also now available.

Edit: the ASD firmware will be a separate download, Monterey 12.4 just adds support for the new firmware in macOS.

I installed the big sur patch and now forums.somethingawful.com won't load in safari :lmao:

e: looked like an interaction of the "hide IP address from trackers" setting and a jquery script hosted by cloudflare :confused:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 16, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

And then people wonder why I use the poop emoji instead of the sirens.

My ability to shitpost on SA didn't change, though..

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can also just download the Python 2.7.18 package and install it. You don't need to use homebrew, which means you can avoid having to deal with having both x64 (in /usr/local) and ARM (in /opt) versions of homebrew installed.

Obviously moving away from Python 2 is ideal if possible, but if some software you use with no good alternatives depends on Python 2, there's not much you can do other than just install it. It's not much of a headache.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Am I using Monterey wrong? I just installed Monterey onto 2 supported MacBooks and noticed I can't set any sleep options compared to Mojave. Ok fine whatever the os is smart enough to not sleep when I'm doing stuff right? Well it's gone to sleep while I'm uploading to google drive(15min upload estimate). Also I've had apps that download files internally (not through safari) that also get interrupted mid download because the os went to sleep. I thought network activity was supposed to keep macOS from sleeping? I know there are apps that can keep macOS from sleeping but this seems like a bug.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

these are worrying entries here:
• Communication safety setting for Messages gives parents the ability to enable warnings for children when they receive or attempt to send photos that contain nudity
• Safety warnings in Messages contain helpful resources for children when they receive photos that contain nudity

absolutely no way to screen messages out that don't contain nudity, i don't want anyone sending me any non-nude images

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 Safari 15.5 is out 💩💩💩

Available with Software Update for Big Sur and Catalina.

Probably security updates and poo poo that will break your Safari extensions, but eh whatevs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What am I likely to have a better time with for mounting network shares to Macs: SMB or NFS?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don’t know if one is “better”, but I use SMB

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

What am I likely to have a better time with for mounting network shares to Macs: SMB or NFS?

You mean cifs or nfs. What’s the host? Host is windows. Cifs. Host is Linux nfs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

This is just for this one Automator workflow. There are other ways to do this other than writing my own python script so I don’t know it I want to fix it but does installing old python work?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

This is just for this one Automator workflow. There are other ways to do this other than writing my own python script so I don’t know it I want to fix it but does installing old python work?

What’s your error? Python should symlink to python3. Will it run under python3?

Type Python —version and see if you got Python3 installed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jaegerx posted:

You mean cifs or nfs. What’s the host? Host is windows. Cifs. Host is Linux nfs.

Thanks for this. The host is modern Ubuntu, 20.04 so it'd be via samba if I did SMB/CIFS. I just wasn't sure about the current state or future of NFS on Macs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Thanks for this. The host is modern Ubuntu, 20.04 so it'd be via samba if I did SMB/CIFS. I just wasn't sure about the current state or future of NFS on Macs.

Nfs is built into Unix/Linux. Never going away. SMB as I recall was proprietary and they had to reverse engineer it into *nix. Cifs is now the open source result.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Twerk from Home posted:

My experience is NFS is faster but a bit weirder. SMB is definitely the 'it just works' choice.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

jaegerx posted:

Nfs is built into Unix/Linux. Never going away. SMB as I recall was proprietary and they had to reverse engineer it into *nix. Cifs is now the open source result.

Pedantry time: cifs was microsoft extending SMB1 (itself a relic of the DOS lan manager days) with stuff to compete with Sun's WebNFS, but it was never ratified as a standard and they released the spec for SMB2, which all the open source implementations adopted in lieu of cifs.

The old cifs code path is still out there but is off by default everywhere and it should stay dead and buried. Use SMB2 or above.

NFS's security is "trust the client" unless you get into running your own Kerberos on NFSv4 with extensions that may or may not be supported on your client. Network interruptions to NFS can cause maladies up to and including the host or the client hanging with blocking i/o in the kernel. It's way faster than SMB but you pay for that with Fiddly Bits. The purpose of NFS is for a fleet of trusted servers to share a filesystem in an isolated cluster. It is not meant for server to workstation access.

In short: run samba on your linux host using the defaults and if anything asks you to turn on SMBv1 (hi GoodReader), run screaming.

Edit: just noticed this was the mac thread. When apple binned samba for their own smb client in... lion I think? the replacement was much worse and even up to today SMB mounts will just disappear. As is custom with the mac, someone wrote a third party app that works around this. https://www.pixeleyes.co.nz/automounter/

xarph fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 18, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Thanks. I wasn’t truly familiar with the difference anymore.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
FWIW I use SMB from MacOS to Unraid and push around tons of data and have literally never ever had an issue or hiccup.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

nexxai posted:

xabi: Obviously YMMV but force-killing the `bird` process did work to solve my iCloud sync issues.
Permanently or do you have to do it routinely? Either way, I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Permanently or do you have to do it routinely? Either way, I’ll give it a try. Thank you!
You have to do it whenever the sync gets stuck at 99% but it *does* seem to work.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

jaegerx posted:

Thanks. I wasn’t truly familiar with the difference anymore.

No problem.

Things from the height of the microsoft "embrace and extend" era make me twitch.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Problem: I need "Remote Desktop" software for macOS. (macOS -> macOS). Client and server are on the same home network.

Detail:

- I would it to use a "virtual screen", so that the client/viewing computer is fed an image at the client's screen resolution. (This is what Windows Remote Desktop does.)
- Server: macOS 3840x2160
- Client: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

I've tried:

- VNC
- RemotePC

Both of these solutions seem to simply scrape the screen, then rescale/resample the image. It looks bad and everything is very small.

Is there something better?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like Jump Desktop. Free if you go from Windows to Mac.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://parsec.app/downloads

That has macos hosting now, works pretty well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's not widely known but macOS actually has a built-in VNC viewer that works really well. Try Finder go-to vnc://mangosteen.local or whatever.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Captain Pike posted:

Problem: I need "Remote Desktop" software for macOS. (macOS -> macOS). Client and server are on the same home network.

Detail:

- I would it to use a "virtual screen", so that the client/viewing computer is fed an image at the client's screen resolution. (This is what Windows Remote Desktop does.)
- Server: macOS 3840x2160
- Client: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

I've tried:

- VNC
- RemotePC

Both of these solutions seem to simply scrape the screen, then rescale/resample the image. It looks bad and everything is very small.

Is there something better?

The closest you’re going to get is manually setting the target’s resolution to something more palatable. The RDP approach of creating a virtual desktop and drawing things client side simply doesn’t exist on macOS.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nobody ever feels like recommending good ol Apple Remote Access, I wonder why..

It lets you switch between zoomed / regular screens on the fly, does cool stuff like scanning your subnet for the presence of Macs to connect to, will identify what OS / RAM / serial number they are, and let you do drag-n-drop file transfers between your desktop and the remote's..

Oh wait now I remember why it's $70 bucks in the AppStore

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

It's also not likely to be long for this world since Apple is trying to get out of the enterprise management market to leave it to JAMF and Airwatch/Hub/Whatever the hot potato company that owns it is calling it this week.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Except Apple Business Essentials is a shiny new thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

I like Jump Desktop. Free if you go from Windows to Mac.

Been using this for years now and really like it. I love how good Remote Desktop has gotten, if it wasn’t for the fact I mainly remote in to my Mac from my work Windows PC I’d forget I wasn’t local and sometimes when I’m doing it from my Mac laptop to my Mac desktop I genuinely forget which windows are which.

iPhone app is really solid too.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 23, 2022

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I'm running Monterey on my ancient iMac via OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I'm trying to create a bootable clone of my internal drive on an external SSD.

I've tried both Super Duper! and Carbon Copy and both of them fail to create a bootable drive. SD! won't even initiate a copy, whereas CCC will clone the drive, but won't make it bootable even with the 'Legacy Boot Drive' option ticked.

The author of SD has said this is because I'm using a hacked bootloader on my iMac.. I'm no expert so.. 🤷‍♂️

Is there anyway I can create a bootable EFI folder on the SSD after the copy?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hrmm, I haven't tried to make any bootable clones of my OCLP'd Macs lately..

The author of SuperDuper! has a somewhat different backup philosophy.. if SD ever detects a bad sector on your source device, whether it's platter or SSD, it immediately gives up and unhelpfully posts a window telling you to switch to a a recovery utility.

If CCC detects a bad sector, it will re-attempt a certain number of tries and then flag the file and more usefully, RECORD the file and file location into its log so that you can possibly re-attempt a copy yourself or at least explain to boss/customer, hey, we couldn't get that one file, and then they can make the determination if it's worth it to recover or 'nah, that file is an old revision'

The SD author probably knows about OCLP but doesn't want to bother supporting hacks.

People HAVE been able to make bootable Big Sur clones with CCC, but it appears that Apple is constantly fiddling with disk/volume structure, especially now with this Sealed System Volume business, such that since Monterey is still a work in progress it's kind of doubtful you'll ever get a perfect bootable clone with Monterey, and also remember Apple literally doesn't consider making bootable backups a priority.. their way is that you wipe/reformat, slap on a fresh system then Migrate Assistant yourself back to workability.

Their priority seems to be more 'make the whole loving system more secure' over 'let people make in-situ backups so they don't have to reinstall everything from the loving ground up'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 24, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, Econ Tech's ChronoSync claims it can maintain a REMOTE bootable backup of your Monterey Mac using the same method CCC does, with the Apple ASR utility..

Edit: it also appears that ASR chokes if it detects that any patches have been applied to system files.. technically if you apply OCLP without touching the system to enable Metal acceleration on Non Metal hardware or for Kepler based nVidia GPUs, you'll still be able to make bootable backups. Just enable the acceleration patches AFTER dupe-ing.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm hitting an annoying little feature of some sort with the trackpad on the new MacBook I got for work. Google is failing me, but maybe someone here will know what this is and how to turn it off or at least avoid it.

Sometimes, when I want to switch focus to a different window, I'll move the pointer to the one I want and tap the touchpad, and the current active window instantly jumps on top of it to that point, exactly as if I had dragged its titlebar there. This only happens occasionally, but often enough to be irritating. I'm not aware of anything I'm doing differently with that particular mouse move, and I've never been able to make it happen on purpose by trying to do odd things. This only happens with the touchpad; an external plug-in mouse always works as expected. In System Preferences -> Touchpad, I've turned off all the gesture crap by unchecking everything in all three sections except tap-to-click and two-finger secondary click, but there's still something in there that thinks I want to move the active window and helpfully does so for me.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?