Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As nice as the leak is it sucks we don't have the mostly finished version. Could only make a proper judgement of how much George hosed up by playing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Manhattan Project gives Duke an M60 and it's rad as hell.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I think everyone probably just wants to say that those speed runs of classic FPSes where the runners just diagonal-sprint through all 30 levels are boring as hell.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Duke's guns should be limited to a pre-1990 aesthetic when he's not using weird sci-fi weapons. Basically, if it's in Terminator 1 or 2, it's fair game.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Duke's guns should be limited to a pre-1990 aesthetic when he's not using weird sci-fi weapons. Basically, if it's in Terminator 1 or 2, it's fair game.

Oh, so like a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I feel like I should totally waste a weekend with Time to Kill/Land of the Babes

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Manhattan Project deserves more love than it gets, to be fair.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I feel like I should totally waste a weekend with Time to Kill/Land of the Babes

Time to Kill was really fun. I liked the way you could keep screwing up the present with time travel shenanigans, leading to the strip clup being full of sexy pig strippers

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Manhattan Project deserves more love than it gets, to be fair.

I really liked it. It was a modernized Duke Nukem I&II with good one-liners, decent presentation, good controls (well, maybe sometimes geometry can be wonky) and the music was nice. The last good Duke Nukem game was a sidescrolling one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s exactly why I posted the evidence. Some people are quick to call someone being ignorant a white supremacist and it becomes counter productive. Real fascists hide behind that narrative of “oh they will say anyones a Nazi” narrative to gain power and influence.

Commander keen seemed really nice, but yeah total fascist, which is a super weird considering he was descended from Blazkowicz that ultra fascist killing bad rear end.

But yeah seen a video or two of Karl Jobst. like that sort of stuff you can't really tell politics, but if he's still hanging around with whitegoose with all that out in the open, yeah....

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Commander keen seemed really nice, but yeah total fascist, which is a super weird considering he was descended from Blazkowicz that ultra fascist killing bad rear end.

But yeah seen a video or two of Karl Jobst. like that sort of stuff you can't really tell politics, but if he's still hanging around with whitegoose with all that out in the open, yeah....

Jobst has a video where he completely disavows goose and apologizes for his mistakes interacting with him, FYI.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 14, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

Jobst has a video where he completely disavows goose and apologizes for his mistakes interacting with him, FYI.

Ahh, legit good to hear.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Jobst also led a harassment campaign against KevinDDR to get him off of Twitch because he had the gall to question Jobst's "Jap" emote (and also possibly because he was gay) soooooo I guess it depends on if that was before or after the 'apology'!

EDIT: and by 'depends' I mean gently caress him either way.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

meteor9 posted:

Jobst also led a harassment campaign against KevinDDR to get him off of Twitch because he had the gall to question Jobst's "Jap" emote (and also possibly because he was gay) soooooo I guess it depends on if that was before or after the 'apology'!

Oh, not so good to hear.

meteor9 posted:

Yep. It would be nice if people could, you know like just not be poo poo. :(

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MSPain posted:

:stare: sometimes terms like "white supremacist" or "facist" get thrown around in a manner that is a bit cavalier, but holy poo poo if this RWhiteGoose isn't the real deal. gently caress

RWhiteGoose posted:

Speedrunning is the most degenerate act man has come up with.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Hedon! Writing needed a copyeditor but apart from that it was a really tasty game. I also blew through Severed Steel this morning, which isn't really an "early FPS" or intentionally mimicking that style, but still seems like it might be of interest to people ITT.

I have a bunch of other retro FPSes to try out from the same bundle I got Hedon in, though -- I've already played Dusk, and HROT and Dread Templar are both as yet unfinished, but apart from that I've got Project Warlock, Amid Evil, and Ion Fury waiting for me. (And Hellbound, but that looks like it's more modeled after Doom'16.) Plus the recent rec for Ashes 2063 and Ashes Afterglow TCs. Thoughts?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've had Hedon for a while but never started it. From the stuff I've seen it's just kinda intimidating, y'know? Severed Steel I plan to get when it's on sale, since from my understanding it's pretty slight. Dug the demo tho.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Finished Hedon! Writing needed a copyeditor but apart from that it was a really tasty game. I also blew through Severed Steel this morning, which isn't really an "early FPS" or intentionally mimicking that style, but still seems like it might be of interest to people ITT.t

I have a bunch of other retro FPSes to try out from the same bundle I got Hedon in, though -- I've already played Dusk, and HROT and Dread Templar are both as yet unfinished, but apart from that I've got Project Warlock, Amid Evil, and Ion Fury waiting for me. (And Hellbound, but that looks like it's more modeled after Doom'16.) Plus the recent rec for Ashes 2063 and Ashes Afterglow TCs. Thoughts?

I would suggest turning the volume up to max and blasting through AMID EVIL, it's like a playable 80s heavy metal album cover and it rules

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started the second episode of Hedon. I really don't enjoy that much the combat, I'm more here for the level exploration, so I'm wondering if I should lower the difficulty...

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I found the melee only mode far more engaging than the normal difficulty settings for the first episode. Still need to get on that second one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played Forgive Me Father? How is it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone played Forgive Me Father? How is it?

It's not very good unfortunately

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

I've had Hedon for a while but never started it. From the stuff I've seen it's just kinda intimidating, y'know? Severed Steel I plan to get when it's on sale, since from my understanding it's pretty slight. Dug the demo tho.

The first episode has smaller levels and doesn't do any of the huge sprawling multi-map stuff you see in the second ep, so it's not like it just drops you straight into Besieged like "welcome to Hedon, have three Thief maps worth of map"; it eases you in. And even the smaller maps are pleasingly interconnected and nonlinear.

Also, it has exquisite gunfeel. Like, yeah, the writing needs work, but I'll forgive a lot for a game that has a crossbow that fires exploding bolts and is also a railgun, or a grenade launcher where one of the options is "flammable gas" (goes great with the flamethrower mode on your shotgun).

Turin Turambar posted:

I started the second episode of Hedon. I really don't enjoy that much the combat, I'm more here for the level exploration, so I'm wondering if I should lower the difficulty...

The second episode has some pretty tough combat and the last three maps in particular are just absolute balls to the wall carnage at all times, so if you're mostly in it for not-combat I would recommend turning the difficulty down, yeah. I played on the...third difficulty, I think? Whichever the lowest one that doesn't highlight objectives on the map is, anyways, and in retrospect I think I should have turned it down a step from there.

Convex posted:

I would suggest turning the volume up to max and blasting through AMID EVIL, it's like a playable 80s heavy metal album cover and it rules

I tried the first level of Amid Evil a while ago and it didn't really grab me, although I don't remember exactly why. Didn't like the weapons, maybe? I should probably give it a second look, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

meteor9 posted:

I was unaware of this and that’s really gross. Thank you for the info.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

koren posted:

I found the melee only mode far more engaging than the normal difficulty settings for the first episode. Still need to get on that second one.

I found Bloodrite to be a lot less accommodating to Bearzerk play than Crystal Heart, unfortunately. If I recall correctly there are a lot more open spaces and sniping enemies in places where recovering throwables would be difficult or impossible. And the episode introduce chaingunner and archvile-likes

e: I still managed to finish it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as my normal run.

e2: I think a lot of those sniper perches were designed so you couldn't yeet them off the ledge with the spear, either. No fun allowed.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 14, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Glagha posted:

I mean I was a little aggro about it but it's a recurring thing that I'm genuinely wondering about. I see internet comments about people just getting MAD about the concept of TASs and people clipping past cutscene triggers and I really wonder where it all comes from.

People like to get mad about anything, but there's something to be said that speedruns that clip out of bounds and are solely focused on getting to the level transition in the minimum amount of time aren't playing the game, they're playing the physics engine. I've watched some speed runs that, other than the start screen, music, and in game hud, you couldn't tell what game it is because the screen is so hosed up.

With that said, it's not in any way wrong or inappropriate to speed run like that or enjoy speed running performances like that. Hell, the glitched half life 2 speedruns are incredible to watch. It's just that in some games the glitched runs are significantly less entertaining than the more regular routes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's also fair to say that frequently, when you're watching a speedrunning video, you're watching a successful speedrun--not the hundreds or thousands of attempts that led up to it. And seeing somebody break the game and navigate the pieces in a seemingly effortless way can make it look like a complete joke. But the reality is that a lot of these tricks require such a degree of precision (and permit such a small margin for error) that they're often feats in their own right. To say nothing of the fact that these people have to figure out many of the tricks in the first place.

I don't have much interest in these runs, but if you ever try to perform these tricks that let speedrunners smash through a game in minutes (or seconds), you'll find that they're incredibly hard to pull off correctly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not really a speedrun, or an early FPS, but there was that dude that managed to cause an overflow error in super Mario world and then used the controls to force input enough data to code a different game and then played that during a live demonstration.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not really a speedrun, or an early FPS, but there was that dude that managed to cause an overflow error in super Mario world and then used the controls to force input enough data to code a different game and then played that during a live demonstration.

It's probably far off-topic at this point, but isn't there a similar thing with the original Pokemon games? It sounds wild.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

Severed Steel I plan to get when it's on sale, since from my understanding it's pretty slight. Dug the demo tho.

The campaign is really short, yeah -- I blew through it in a single morning on the second-easiest difficulty, and while I have some relevant experience with games like this, I'm by no means an expert.

It does have a bit more meat on its bones than that, though; Firefight mode reprises the campaign levels as "kill everyone" levels where you can pick a loadout to start with and are scored on clear speed, combos, selected modifiers, and bonus objectives. And clearing Firefight levels unlocks stuff for use in New Game +, which is the campaign with more enemies, enemy respawning (some levels had that already, but NG+ adds it to every level), and the ability to bring in stuff you've unlocked in Firefight mode. It also has a level editor and what looks like a reasonably active editing community.

That said, it's short enough that if your main interest is just playing through the campaign and not spending a lot of time in FF or NG+ looking to perfect your skills, it's pretty pricey for something that you'd be done with in 2-4 hours.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ToxicFrog posted:

The first episode has smaller levels and doesn't do any of the huge sprawling multi-map stuff you see in the second ep, so it's not like it just drops you straight into Besieged like "welcome to Hedon, have three Thief maps worth of map"; it eases you in. And even the smaller maps are pleasingly interconnected and nonlinear.

Also, it has exquisite gunfeel. Like, yeah, the writing needs work, but I'll forgive a lot for a game that has a crossbow that fires exploding bolts and is also a railgun, or a grenade launcher where one of the options is "flammable gas" (goes great with the flamethrower mode on your shotgun).

The second episode has some pretty tough combat and the last three maps in particular are just absolute balls to the wall carnage at all times, so if you're mostly in it for not-combat I would recommend turning the difficulty down, yeah. I played on the...third difficulty, I think? Whichever the lowest one that doesn't highlight objectives on the map is, anyways, and in retrospect I think I should have turned it down a step from there.

I tried the first level of Amid Evil a while ago and it didn't really grab me, although I don't remember exactly why. Didn't like the weapons, maybe? I should probably give it a second look, though.

Hedon is really good. Agreed on Bearzerk too, I really enjoyed it for Crystal Heart but gave up on Bloodrite at the hell fleet level where you have to jump between all the ships under fire. Bloodrite is, imo, a bit too ambitious overall. The dev basically went mad with his newfound powers to make game and tried to cram like three episodes as big as Crystal Heart into one. Spectacular but it just goes on and on and on…

I didn’t like Amid Evil at first but it’s grown on me. Structurally it’s very Quake-like. If you like fanciful 3D levels with secrets and simple puzzles that take 5-15 minutes to complete, that’s what you got here. But unlike Quake, each episode has completely different setting, bestiary, and increasingly vibes. Also, imo, the quality of the game steadily improves as you go. There’s a DLC episode supposedly coming out this year so I hope they can top themselves.

The flow of combat is a bit weird. It’s not quite like Quake and at times it can get kind of annoying and swarmy with melee guys chasing you around. It often doesn’t really click until you have a full arsenal, and the weapons and enemies aren’t all great designs imo. On the other hand sometimes it clicks and you basically rampage through an entire level seamlessly blasting from one fight to the next. It’s a fun game with some lows. I recommend it.

Pro tip: if you get stuck on a boss use basic blue staff+soul mode, it’s a damage hose

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's probably far off-topic at this point, but isn't there a similar thing with the original Pokemon games? It sounds wild.

The term you want to look for is "arbitrary code execution" or "ACE", and yeah, ACE exploits have been found for a bunch of games, including several Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario games, although a lot of them aren't RTA viable, and even for the ones that are, it's hard to enter enough code quickly enough to do something more interesting than "warp to credits" outside a TAS. TASVideos has some listed, although the "watch me load a completely different game into this game, then speedrun that" playarounds tend to be more of a GDQ thing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Baron von Eevl posted:

is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcV9uIY5i4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I bought Quake for Switch on a whim and for whatever reason I seem to be able to deal with using a controller for it, whereas I find Doom to be utterly impossible. I think part of it is less hitscanners. I’ve never really thought about it before, but I think the average enemy size is physically bigger in Quake as well. We’ll see how I deal with the rocket launcher which needs a bit more precise aiming. Using motion controls (unless it’s a “hold button to aim” thing) is completely alien to me and I’m too old to get used to it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The actual video I'm think of was definitely that exploit but it was live and the audience loses their poo poo when he starts playing snake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Still incredible. It’s absolutely amazing the stuff people do with SMW. I find it even more impressive than Doom stuff due to it being a closed console game.

david_a posted:

I bought Quake for Switch on a whim and for whatever reason I seem to be able to deal with using a controller for it, whereas I find Doom to be utterly impossible. I think part of it is less hitscanners. I’ve never really thought about it before, but I think the average enemy size is physically bigger in Quake as well. We’ll see how I deal with the rocket launcher which needs a bit more precise aiming. Using motion controls (unless it’s a “hold button to aim” thing) is completely alien to me and I’m too old to get used to it.

You really should try to learn motion controls. The key, in my case at least, is to use the sticks for broad movements but only use subtle motions to aim more precisely. You shouldn’t be moving around the controller that much.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 15, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SeANMcBAY posted:

You really should try to learn motion controls. The key, in my case at least, is to use the sticks for broad movements but only use subtle motions to aim more precisely. You shouldn’t be moving around the controller that much.

I just can’t. I’m not that great with a controller to begin with and I apparently absentmindedly move it around when I’m playing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

First Generation Pokemon is more or less held together with staples and good intentions, as Game Freak's ambitions slightly outpaced their ability at the time. They fixed some stuff for the international releases, but you can still tear it apart with relative ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, not only Ep 2 of Hedon is harder in combat, I needed also some help with the adventure elements. Some things aren't exactly sign-posted with clarity. I was quick on guesing what I had to do on map 1, finding the clues, etc, but on map 2I had missed the harp instructions when arriving first to the room where it is, so it was -fun- having to wander around on this big sprawling level searching what I had missed. Also at first I had dismissed the doors that says 'this door won't bulge' as unpassable, not noticing the socket at a side for a gem

As much as i enjoy the level design, the character design is still (bad) deviantart tier. What's wrong with these arms?

Is the high thong part of the standard military outfit or...? Nah, never mind, we all know the answer.