Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Also the loving dumbass props

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lol.

No seriously, lmao. This the the card the Ontario Liberal Party is going to play? It's only been four years motherfuckers, we didn't forget your previous 15 in power.

~*Liberal candidates gasp in shock at the notion of political patronage appointments, under leader Steven Del Duca*~

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also the loving dumbass props

They've got to have some new media advisors

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
:lmao: those buckets

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao that looks like an Air Farce sketch

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im the model train

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

At least hire a local cover band to re-record "Goin' off the rails on Ford's gravy train" or something.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

mojo1701a posted:

At least hire a local cover band to re-record "Goin' off the rails on Ford's gravy train" or something.

Anything would be better than the PCs' stupid campaign jingle.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
TBH I'd take 4 years of OLP vs. 4 more of Dougie.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm pretty disappointed that it wasn't a CN cargo train filled with real gravy.

Stanley Pain posted:

You have reached a small circular room at the end of a passageway. Ahead of you is a red door. To the right is a blue door. Which do you take?

On closer inspection, you notice a small orange cat flap in the red door. It is nailed shut.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I want to experience the utter insanity of the green door.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
15000 dollar subsidies for teslas

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

McGavin posted:

I want to experience the utter insanity of the green door.

All nuclear plants decommissioned as we transition to privately owned solar. In the meantime nat gas from Russia

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Maneck posted:

It's not just that Legault is trying to drive non-French speakers out (including First Nations), he's increasing barriers to leaving for the rest.

I think this is the part that makes me the most mad. As far as I can tell there is no legal way for them to protect themselves from a law like this in Quebec and no one in the media seems to give enough of a gently caress to even touch on this side of the story. :(

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ITS A GRAVY TRAIN FOR ANTS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stanley Pain posted:

We are truly blessed to be presented with such a choice.

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely we will see anything other than a PCPO minority, with OLP and ONDP duking it out for scraps in urban ridings.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This was such a wet fart of an announcement that it’s not even on the CBC website or Twitter.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

So which company do you think they hired to print the stickers?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Legault doesn't give a gently caress about the French language or integration. I agree that French needs to be protected but this is just going to create more barriers and more ghettoization.

Anecdotally I've been trying to take French lessons but I haven't managed to get a call back from anyone in the last 3 months lol.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

So, if the Liberals get in are they going to fire those 16 people?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I think this is the part that makes me the most mad. As far as I can tell there is no legal way for them to protect themselves from a law like this in Quebec and no one in the media seems to give enough of a gently caress to even touch on this side of the story. :(

It was covered. It is easy to miss amongst the deluge of stories about incoming misery.

Depending on what is in their treaties, some of the First Nations have a chance of successfully fighting aspects of the law. The Quebec government is used to throwing the notwithstanding clause around to squash Charter challenges. But the notwithstanding clause doesn't apply to s. 25.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HackensackBackpack posted:

So, if the Liberals get in are they going to fire those 16 people?

They are going to replace them with 16 Liberal party insiders, as they have always done.

Look at the makeup of say, the Waterfront Toronto board before Ford's government ousted everyone. This is the most shameless display of hypocrisy from the OLP since they last held office

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

They are going to replace them with 16 Liberal party insiders, as they have always done.

Look at the makeup of say, the Waterfront Toronto board before Ford's government ousted everyone. This is the most shameless display of hypocrisy from the OLP since they last held office

Alternatively, they meant to point out incompetence. The Liberals would have appointed twice as many!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fair point.

Also, for those playing the home game, Mitzie Hunter is directly responsible for the fact that the SRT in Scarborough will be replaced with buses for at least a decade, rather than having an LRT line that would have already been operational.

She dived into the riding and ran on torpedoing an already approved and paid for transit project to replace the aging SRT system in favour of a subway that will probably never be built. The wheels have since fallen off the SRT, and shockingly the subway she promised is nowhere to be seen. This all happened in 2013, btw

This was all championed by the OLP brass, including... Stephen Del Duca.

They've reaped what they've sown and this pearl clutching over the PCPO playing the same style of dirty pool they did for 15 years is pretty loving pale.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 15, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

evilpicard posted:

Legault doesn't give a gently caress about the French language or integration. I agree that French needs to be protected but this is just going to create more barriers and more ghettoization.

Anecdotally I've been trying to take French lessons but I haven't managed to get a call back from anyone in the last 3 months lol.

It occurs to me that most of my friend group and most of my work social circle, and myself, all want to learn and/or improve French but we don't have very viable options. Let's face it: French in school sucked in terms of instructional quality unless you had a teacher that actually spoke French and gave a poo poo, and the adult advice of "just Duolingo it, bro!" isn't producing very many functional speakers.

But a lot of Canadians, even here in Alberta, very much do want to learn French. Maybe if the Quebec government wanted to actually protect the status of the French language in Canada, they could help people learn the French language in Canada instead of petulantly denying rights to non-Francophones. It might could do something about all that resentment, too! Pretty crazy idea, but I think it could work.

Like, remember when we had months and months in 2020 where no one was doing anything and we were baking sourdough and learning new musical instruments and crap? What if the Quebec government had jumped on that and funded Quebecois francophones to have Zoom classes with a bunch of people looking to learn/improve French? That combines protection and promotion of the French language, with providing income to people who are out of work due to the pandemic. But, no, it's really more important to make sure doctors speak French.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Most Quebecois do not really care about the rest of Canada speaking fluent French (why would they?) and I'm pretty sure I've heard Bloc leaders say as much in the past.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, I suppose I get that, but really then they can't say it's about the protection of the French language in the midst of a sea of English, it's about establishing their own lovely loving little fiefdom where they get to make all the rules.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They not only don't care about, but actively disdain franco-ontariens.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When I worked at CSEC the organization was doing anything it can to encourage employees to learn French, to the point that taking classes counted as work/work hours and you got paid for doing it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Also, for those playing the home game, Mitzie Hunter is directly responsible for the fact that the SRT in Scarborough will be replaced with buses for at least a decade, rather than having an LRT line that would have already been operational.

She dived into the riding and ran on torpedoing an already approved and paid for transit project to replace the aging SRT system in favour of a subway that will probably never be built. The wheels have since fallen off the SRT, and shockingly the subway she promised is nowhere to be seen. This all happened in 2013, btw

Was this the obviously stupid plan to convert the RT to light rail along the same corridor? After nearly four decades of it failing to happen, there is no reason to pretend that traffic will ever materialize at three of the six least-used stations on the system (two of which see fewer passengers than the oft-derided Bessarion station). A useful LRT needs to run along the streets, like the Eglinton line, but doing that would be difficult and expensive, so planners insist, despite all available evidence, that continuing to use the current corridor isn't wasting money.

Sure, the subway extension is probably a waste of money, but the cancelled plan would have been a waste of about half as much money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The cancelled plan was being paid for by the province, this was back in the before times when the city was still responsible for funding capital and operational expenses for the subway.

The fact that it's moot now or you don't personally think anything should have been built in Scarborough doesn't really change the fact that it was absurdly bad policy at the time, it was incredibly cynical, and it did nothing but hurt her constituents. The point being that Mitzi Hunter probably shouldn't be the one telling us about PCPO largess

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

The fact that it's moot now or you don't personally think anything should have been built in Scarborough doesn't really change the fact that it was absurdly bad policy at the time, it was incredibly cynical, and it did nothing but hurt her constituents. The point being that Mitzi Hunter probably shouldn't be the one telling us about PCPO largess

What I personally think has nothing to do with the fact that that line hadn't attracted significant ridership other than at Kennedy and Scarborough Centre (and Lawrence East, if you're being generous) despite being there for nearly thirty years. Another decade has just confirmed that reality. The fact that the plan to extend the subway was a waste of money doesn't mean that the plan to cement a failed transit corridor for another few decades wasn't also a waste of money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Okay, that's fine, and campaigning on a much larger waste of money was probably a poor call then too, I'd suggest. Like, I have no idea why you're taking this as an opportunity to relitigate Scarborough RT, the point is Mitzi Hunter is full of poo poo.

She ran on building a subway that the city would have had to pay for, where, as you've noted, there's isn't even enough ridership for light rail, with no plan whatsoever to actually build that subway, or anything else. Now she's running in the same riding, as the wheels are falling off the thing she torpedoed the replacement of.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 16, 2022

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Thank you Ontario, that gravy train announcement is the funniest poo poo. Looks like Doug will win again if this is the best they got?

Also, how the hell is the new BC museum costing almost a billion? They better be repatriating all the Northwest Coast artworks from every museum on earth that were stolen and re-sold by Indian agents.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ARACHTION posted:

Thank you Ontario, that gravy train announcement is the funniest poo poo. Looks like Doug will win again if this is the best they got?

Also, how the hell is the new BC museum costing almost a billion? They better be repatriating all the Northwest Coast artworks from every museum on earth that were stolen and re-sold by Indian agents.

I was gonna say it's a big building and things are expensive here, but the Uptown Mall with the walmart supercenter apparently cost $300 million to build. The museum lot is big, but it's not bigger than the mall which is 850,000 square feet, 4 stories, with underground parking.

The current museum is 23,000 square meters. That's less than 250,000 square feet. Of course a museum has to have a more robust climate control system than a mall, but still. Maybe a hospital would be a more apt comparison. The 850,000 square feet Royal Jubilee Hospital patient care centre was built about 12 years ago for about $300 million. $789 million for the museum seems real high.

A few months ago they were talking about revamping the third floor, and now they want to tear down the whole thing so they must have found some poo poo.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/royal-b-c-museum-to-be-rebuilt-at-the-cost-of-789m-1.6452552

quote:

The 54-year-old building that houses the current museum is seismically unsound, filled with asbestos and lacking the ability to safely preserve most of its collections with current best practices.

Yeah that's not great. If they found that fixing the asbestos remediation and seismic flaws would cost too many millions I can see how they might think starting over is better. It was built in 1968 so a bunch of areas aren't wheelchair accessible either.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It costs money to build a state of the art submarine ride.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 16, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Don't edit posts at 4:00 AM, kids.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 16, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McGavin posted:

You're not my dad, McGavin

ARACHTION posted:

Doug has been pretty much guaranteed a win since well before the writ dropped. Despite pissing off every single voting bloc in the province over the last two years, people have the memory of goldfish, PCPO has been consistantly polling well beyond both the ONDP and OLP, who are neck and neck. The OLP are not even an officially recognized party right now, and all their gains in seats will be from the ONDP. While there are a bunch of wingnut splinters off the PCPO, I don't think any of them have a high enough profile to really split the vote on the right this time out. Maybe 2026 will look different.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

Like, remember when we had months and months in 2020 where no one was doing anything and we were baking sourdough and learning new musical instruments and crap? What if the Quebec government had jumped on that and funded Quebecois francophones to have Zoom classes with a bunch of people looking to learn/improve French? That combines protection and promotion of the French language, with providing income to people who are out of work due to the pandemic. But, no, it's really more important to make sure doctors speak French.

Yeah as noted, it's not about spreading or protecting the French language. It's about doing everything possible to have Quebec act as a separate nation within the bounds of the fact that they will never officially separate.
They want it to be incredibly difficult for anyone other than native French speakers to operate in the province, so that hopefully they'll leave. They want to restrict access to learning English so that their "own people" don't try to go elsewhere with their English skills. New immigrants including refugees would get 6 month to learn French. This would be possible for someone who has stability and time to dedicate to that. For new arrivals just trying to get out of survival mode it's nuts.

In their desperate attempt to prevent anyone other than francophones from operating in their province they're going to end up torpedo'ing their own economy. I believe they have one of the most severe labour shortages of all the provinces and the oldest population (excluding maritimes).

But good news! If you want to learn French, you've got free access to Mauril. https://mauril.ca/en/
It assumes a relatively high baseline of understanding spoken French so it may not be the best starting point but I do enjoy it. It uses shows from Radio-Canada to teach so I've also discovered some new shows to watch.
It's also just a supplementary learning tool, you absolutely will not learn passable French from just Mauril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

McGavin posted:

If Donald Trump can tweet at 3am sober, I'm gonna :justpost: whenever.